http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 3 in production!!  (Read 8414 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »

I folded.  Amazon for 50 bucks.  Too bad I also missed the sale. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 21, 2011, 03:31:53 PM

I folded.  Amazon for 50 bucks.  Too bad I also missed the sale. 

I just remembered I have a $15 credit for video games at Amazon, so I may fold too.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »

Preload on Origin keeps crapping out on me forcing me to restart the download.  Anyone else having issues?  I must have tried downloading over 5 times now wasting a lot of bandwith on retries.   I have got to about the 8GB point and then been forced to start over again.  Someone suggested to pause/resume the download often but that hasn't helped.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »

I was having trouble even signing in to Origin earlier today, but it does appear that when I paused the download at about 40% last night it worked.  I can't say problems at this point make me very confident in there service come launch day...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 23, 2011, 10:40:45 PM

I was having trouble even signing in to Origin earlier today, but it does appear that when I paused the download at about 40% last night it worked.  I can't say problems at this point make me very confident in there service come launch day...

Really hoping there's an alternative way to download or they fix their problems.  I don't want to go through this with a 30gig+ SW:TOR download.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2011, 03:21:21 AM »

I've been trying to download BF3 since Saturday and it keeps crapping out on me and restarting the download. I think the most I got was 7-8gb and had to restart it all over again. I thought it was just my internet connection but I guess not.

I paused the download, quit origin and restarted it earlier today before I went to work, it kept the download and resumed it. Hopefully it'll finish without any problems.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »

I finally got it!  It crapped out again at 50% but I have a work around.  Pause it and make progressive backups of the battlefield folder.  If it fails, shut down Origin, rename the backup folder to the original and restart Origin to resume download.

Fuck you Origin/EA for almost capping out my monthly download limit of 200gigs!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 24, 2011, 05:14:55 AM

I finally got it!  It crapped out again at 50% but I have a work around.  Pause it and make progressive backups of the battlefield folder.  If it fails, shut down Origin, rename the backup folder to the original and restart Origin to resume download.

This sounds like a great thing to have to do! Much better than the way Steam works!
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 24, 2011, 12:38:15 PM

Quote from: skystride on October 24, 2011, 05:14:55 AM

This sounds like a great thing to have to do! Much better than the way Steam works!

A quick tip for any EA employees who want to get ahead - make a cost/benefit analysis of the time and money required to start up Origin, compare that with costs of paying Valve for Steam distribution, and factor in the frustration of EA customers and estimated lost sales because of Origin. Show how your company can save millions by scrapping Origin and going with Steam. Presto! Instant promotion!

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »

I understand from a business standpoint why they're pushing the Origins system...but that doesn't mean I have to like it as a customer.   icon_mad

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 24, 2011, 03:54:16 PM

I understand from a business standpoint why they're pushing the Origins system...but that doesn't mean I have to like it as a customer.   icon_mad

Actually I don't. One would think that their market research would show that an inevitable question that comes up about any new game is "When is it going to be released on Steam?" That, plus the startup costs of getting an online game and patch distribution service going, plus maintenance costs makes me think Steam would have been the cheaper and better solution.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »

actual PC review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-review-battlefield-3/722936

tidbits I garnered:

- 5 hour campaign
- AI isn't all that hot in spots
- co-op parts are fun
- hit detection spotty (may just be reviewer didn't understand bullet drop and stuff)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:40:44 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 24, 2011, 05:38:54 PM

actual PC review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-review-battlefield-3/722936

tidbits I garnered:

- 5 hour campaign
- AI isn't all that hot in spots
- co-op parts are fun
- hit detection spotty (may just be reviewer didn't understand bullet drop and stuff)

And none of the "bad" stuff seems to apply to the part of a Battlefield game that really matters.  The single player is just a bonus sideline here.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »

I was actually surprised to hear that there WAS a single player component, to be honest.  The only thing in that list of issues that bothers me is the hit detection...but I'm hoping that Ceekay's right and it's just a matter of game mechanics not being fully understood by the reviewer.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:47 AM »

I was able to put an address in my proxy for IE and it let me activate the game and I played a couple of matches of multiplayer and about 30 minutes of the single player. 
The graphics are pretty amazing even on mulitplayer but SP really looks awesome.  I have a gtx 580 with the latest drivers and the auto selected everything HIGH with some Ultra's in there and it's running smooth.

I would like to play the single player with a controller but the pad support is really awful.  There are QTE's where you have to press a keyboard key, pressing the controller mapped key will not work the onscreen prompt says space and you must press space on the keyboard so the controller is basically useless.  If you try to use it in multiplayer you can't select your class with it you need a mouse so no go with a controller.

Launching the game from the broswer is okay since you can look at stats while the map is loading and once it's done loading it will take you into the game so not much downtime.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2011, 05:11:01 AM »

I couldn't get the matchmaking to work for multiplayer, so I just played 3 of the single player missions.  Seems OK.  The usual modern heavily scripted business.  I'll probably play that until their servers get figured out this week.

Everything looks really pretty and runs quite well on my machine.  My only beef is that they frequently seem to throw dust on "lense" that is really annoying.  It mad me want to keep cleaning my glasses or my monitor.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2011, 05:36:43 AM »

Multi servers came back an hour ago so I played quite a bit.  I'm not that good but still had a blast. There are so many unlocks and cust that you can do it'll take me three months to open half of them.  Haven't exp any lag or glitches, it seems really stable.

The sounds are awesome..

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »

It's completely on rails but the first F-18 mission, wow!  Haven't touched MP yet.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2011, 07:00:03 AM »

I played a little bit last night when it unlocked. Tried MP but within minutes of connecting to a server, I got kicked out with the "Connection to server timed out" error. Not sure if that's my internet or game, it did happen a lot during beta though. So I tried the SP portion, graphics are pretty good even on my older radeon card.

I'm not sure I like the whole Battlelog thing since it's web based. I prefer the in-game server browser system like the previous BF games.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »

My brief impression from 30 minutes of MP:

Deploy...wow...this looks grea...<dead>:

Deploy...okay...where was i?  oh yeah, the graphi...<dead>

Deploy...damn, I really need to practi....<dead>

Deploy....seriously?...I'm THAT ba...<dead>

Deploy...screw it, I'm going with assau...<dead>

Quit...well, that was embarras...<dead>

AH COME ONE NOW!

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »

I have this, origin user Reemule please add me I have Zero friends  saywhat

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 25, 2011, 04:14:56 PM

Deploy...okay...where was i?  oh yeah, the graphi...<dead>

AH COME ONE NOW!

icon_lol

Which is the main reason it's best I stay away from this game. That would be me right there, too!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »

Dangit, I was off the fence but then I heard some friends were getting this, so I'm back on now.

Saw this elsewhere, made me LOL:

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »

by the way, my alt on origin is "hepcat".

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »

Wow, that 1942 minimap triggers a lot of memories.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 25, 2011, 06:42:42 PM

Wow, that 1942 minimap triggers a lot of memories.

I kind of wish they'd totally redo 1942 for the PC, and not like 1943's handful of maps.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »

I just want the original Battlefield 1942 theme song back!  That song was, to me, the very epitome of online shooters for quite a few years.  Any way I can substitute the main theme in BF3 for that?

stryker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:15 AM »

Kills   20
Deaths   8
K/D Ratio   2.5

i guarantee this will be the high point in my k/d ratio

I had a little fun as a tank gunner, and then i found this awesome four or five story building with tons of people running by below me.
then i got rocketed or something.  but still, 2.5 to 1.  that's coming down soon.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 25, 2011, 04:14:56 PM

Deploy...okay...where was i?  oh yeah, the graphi...<dead>

AH COME ONE NOW!
That's pretty much been my experience with every non co-op military shooter over about the last 10 years.  I wholly empathize. icon_smile

The site talks about playing "the way you want to play." I don't like dying, so I'd probably be some weeny grunt running around fixing other players' vehicles and providing a little base/defense security, or else I'd just stick with vehicles/aircraft. If I were to break down and get this, I'd probably look into that and the co-op mode. I'm pretty sure outside of that, I'd just be roadkill. icon_smile

The parachuting reminds me of Medal of Honor: Airborne, which was a decent shooter with one awesome gimmick (parachuting, and starting anywhere you wanted on a map).

While the BF3 animations look awesome (as does the whole game), I had to chuckle at the idea of bragging about animations in an FPS where you almost never see your own character model or animation.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:18:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »

So, I'm hearing from a friend that the game is utterly incompatible with anyone who decides to remap their keys.

Do you use WSQE to control your character instead of WSAD? Too bad, as Q is hard-wired into the chat button in multiplayer (doesn't matter if you rebind the chat button - it doesn't work).

Do you use Space as Use instead of Jump (hell if I know why - just go with it). Too bad, as all the Quicktime events are looking for you to push Space anyhow to jump during them no matter what you have bound. Same with the Use button (E by default). You must always push that button.

Did any reviewers catch those rather large bugs?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »

Ok, back off the fence.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 26, 2011, 05:22:12 PM

So, I'm hearing from a friend that the game is utterly incompatible with anyone who decides to remap their keys.

Do you use WSQE to control your character instead of WSAD? Too bad, as Q is hard-wired into the chat button in multiplayer (doesn't matter if you rebind the chat button - it doesn't work).

Do you use Space as Use instead of Jump (hell if I know why - just go with it). Too bad, as all the Quicktime events are looking for you to push Space anyhow to jump during them no matter what you have bound. Same with the Use button (E by default). You must always push that button.

I'm not sure I'd call that a bug.  Dumb design choice perhaps.

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »

Sheesh, tone down the lens flare.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 26, 2011, 05:22:12 PM

Unless it changed from the beta, your friend is wrong.  I was able to change my keys.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »

So, Razgon, can we eliminate the "in production" classification of this thread?  Bring your own!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 28, 2011, 06:16:09 PM

So, Razgon, can we eliminate the "in production" classification of this thread?  Bring your own!

Until they sort out their server and Origin issues, I think the title is still appropriate.  smirk
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »

No, then it should be "...in Paid Beta!!"

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on October 28, 2011, 03:24:31 PM

This is wholly accurate and it drives me fucking crazy.

I seriously hate them for this bullcrap.  All this game does is shine incredibly bright lights in my eyes and make it fucking impossible to see anything....it's incredibly stupid and lame.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

I am enjoying the SP campaign ATM.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: