http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2142  (Read 1622 times)
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:43:47 AM »

New game of the series. A trailer is out and it's looking damn hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DnK-d_sp0
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 04:53:09 AM »

Oohhh....IN!!!  That looked like an Orca!  Mechs!  Stealth Suits!  Oh man...totally in.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 05:54:55 AM »

Having just bought Battlefield 2 today (can't believe they still haven't dropped the $50 tag after all this time) I'm feeling a bit ripped off already.
IMO, they should have done more for BF2 before already preparing for yet another sequel in just barely over a year's time.
Having 4 or 5 AI programmers on BF2 (just looked at the credits) how the hell did they screw up the bots so bad? And we're stuck with 16 player maps in singleplayer when a game like Unreal Tournament 2004 has full 32 bot support and only had one AI programmer (who also worked on other parts of the game)?
And with the lack of bots in the console versions, has really left me with a sour taste for DICE games as they continue to drift more and more away from supporting the singleplayer scene.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:00:44 AM »

I'll take an actual gameplay movie next time thanks.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:54:02 AM »

The BF games have never been about the bots. If you don't have broadband internet or just don't want to play online the games arn't worth it.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 07:08:11 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
I'll take an actual gameplay movie next time thanks.

Looking at it, that seems like it was gameplay footage. Being the hugely addicted BF2 player that I am, a lot of the things seems very similiar to BF2 - the infantry movements are almost identical, like the part where the infantry is reloading, the exact same sounds/animation is present in BF2. But also the vehicles acted similar (especially that futuristic "humvee" sort of thing).

Overall, my first impression was basically this game looks more like a mod or expansion for BF2 than an actual new game. I'm sure it'll add a lot - but I have a feeling that the game will run very similiar to what BF2 is.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »

Quote from: "Mattc0m"
Overall, my first impression was basically this game looks more like a mod or expansion for BF2 than an actual new game. I'm sure it'll add a lot - but I have a feeling that the game will run very similiar to what BF2 is.

That's the same impression I got from the video. It looks no different than the various battlerecorder videos of Battlefield 2 that are all over the internet, except that it's set in the future.

And it sounds like it could be fun. I don't honestly care if it is EA regurgitating the same game engine with new gameplay ideas, I have a blast with BF2 (It's currently far surpassed all my other PC games for total time played) and I'll gladly pay for more.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
The BF games have never been about the bots. If you don't have broadband internet or just don't want to play online the games arn't worth it.

Personally, in this day and age of advanced AI routines, I've always been pissed (and thus, never bought the latter games) about the lack of any intelligence in the AI. Artifical Stupidity is what I think they have.

So, why is the AI so bad compared to the likes of UT2K4? Simple - the programmers were lazy. Period.

But back to the topic at hand - is this a real game, or simply a mod? That's the question being debated elsewhere. Kinda strange that YouTube would get the trailer first, no (leaked or not)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 03:52:28 PM »

Some of that footage was in game.

I am sure it is the BF2 engine but as long as it isn't another Battlefield Vietnam, then I am pretty sure I will pick it up. I like the BF2 gameplay but I just hope this is a polished title as opposed to a rushed out before Holidays product.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »

I'll wait for reviews.

That, and I'm pretty sure there are better mods for other games than this full game, and these mods I can get for free.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 06:59:46 PM »

Looks like a really fancy mod to me-and I am not sure I can do another BF game until they fix the massive graphics/MP issues and clean up infantry combat.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »

While I agree the Battlefield series has never been about the bots, there's really no excuse for how poor of a job they did on them when there were 4+ AI programmers working on the game.
We get more AI stuff from the mod community (check battlefield singleplayers website) than we do from the developers who got paid to do the AI.
And I'm willing to bet that the majority (50% or more) of people who bought Battlefield 2 play it singleplayer.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »

WTF? It hasn't even been a year an they're already talking sequel?  What a crock of shit.

Just Hiro will do.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
WTF? It hasn't even been a year an they're already talking sequel?  What a crock of shit.

While releasing patches that break things and check in the wrong place for temp space to do the install.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 12:52:25 AM »

I never liked that 'style' of game.  Yeah, vehicles are cool and all, but making you into kill fodder if you don't have a vehicle just never seemed like a good game design.

I guess that's why the most popular FPS games tend to be infantry vs. infantry.  At least it provides a level of parity in your ability to take or dish out pain.

I played BF1942 for about two days before deciding I hated it intensely.  From getting spawn camped by some dude with a tank to run over with a jeep to getting shot to death by some airplane coming out of nowhere, you never have a chance if you are on foot.  UT2004 didn't make you feel totally helpless outside a vehicle, although it was still more fun in one.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 01:02:08 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

So, why is the AI so bad compared to the likes of UT2K4? Simple - the programmers were lazy. Period./quote]

Not to totally let the devs off the hook but BF2 is a bigger game than UT is with more complexity to get bots working well. UT has no classes, and not as vehicles, many which are also transports. The bots in UT are good at standard stuff, but they don't change much weather your playing DM or Onslaught. Granted They're probably about the best out there right now but they arn't a replacement for real MP.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 01:33:44 AM »

I would state it more as a triumph of UT2004 than a problem with any other game.

I may be wrong, but I believe UT hired (and he is still there) the guy who made the much-loved "Reaper" bot in Quake.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »

As long as they keep it where you get one or two shot kills then I am in.  I never got into Quake type games where you had to shoot someone 40 times to kill them.

That is why I love the BF series.

Regards,
Pig
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 05:14:05 PM »

I may be wrong, but I believe UT hired (and he is still there) the guy who made the much-loved "Reaper" bot in Quake.

Nope you're exactly right. Steve Polge made the Reaper bots for the original Quake (I put countless hours playing it) and Epic wanting better AI and bots for their in development Unreal (the first one) hired him to be their AI programmer. And thus started the Unreal "botmatch" that gets better and better with each new game in the series.
Polge went from being just the AI programmer to doing both AI and other parts of the game, yet he continues to put some of the best (IMO) bot AI in a first person shooter out there..
And that's what bothers me about Battlefield 2 so much, yeah it's got vehicles and different classes but isn't that why they had 4 or 5 AI programmers working on it? And they still coudn't pull it off?
Dont get me wrong though the bots are much better than they were in Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam but they've still got a lot of catching up to do.

At least in BF 2142 (how long is it going to take until we remember the name?) they are bringing back the COOP game mode, so there's hope for the bots still..

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 05:52:04 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I would state it more as a triumph of UT2004 than a problem with any other game.

If you want to call it a "triumph" then I guess you can. My point is comparing UT to BF2 in their bots without looking at the diffrences in the games and all that would be involved in making bots work well isn't valid IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: