http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2142 Still worth it?  (Read 1995 times)
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »

I'm on the search for a new multiplayer game and I've been eyeing this one.  However, it's been out for a little while and I wonder if it's still worth getting.  How newb friendly is it?  Does the community still have a lot of life in it?  What are the players like in general?  I know the last one can vary from server to server, but games seem to attract more of one type of player than another overall.  That's what I want to know about 2142, what kind of people are playing it?

Mostly I've been playing TF2 and some L4D.  I'd say TF2 is in the middle of it's life cycle with a year+ left going for it.  So would still be worth getting for a new player, for example. 

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

I've been playing it a lot, and there's tons of servers still, and people still play. And dont worry, you'll quickly get back up to speed. I can recommend BF2 as well though, thats still extremely fun - if you have xfire you can catch me playing it once in a while and drop in :-)

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »

It's got a mix of folks playing like any other game.  Not a whole lot of griefing you can really do in it so i wouldn't worry so much.  I like BF2 slightly better but there is plenty of fun to be had with 2142.  It has the easiest to fly vehicles in any BF to date and giant robots, whats not to like?

morlac00 on PSN
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 04, 2009, 02:29:17 PM

It's got a mix of folks playing like any other game.  Not a whole lot of griefing you can really do in it so i wouldn't worry so much.  I like BF2 slightly better but there is plenty of fun to be had with 2142.  It has the easiest to fly vehicles in any BF to date and giant robots, whats not to like?

I'd agree BF2142 was fun but I do prefer BF2

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »

Thanks for the info!  I've looked at Battlefield, but I'm not interested in another WWII shooter.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on April 06, 2009, 05:13:34 PM

Thanks for the info!  I've looked at Battlefield, but I'm not interested in another WWII shooter.

battlefield 2 is far superior , and is not a WWII shooter - its modern day, and far more tactical in scope, that say Cod MP is. Squads are a big part of it, or at least working towards a common goal. You'll also find you survive a lot longer than in games like CoD Multiplayer which *Can* be quake like...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »

Hell you can probably pick up both 2142 and BF 2 for around $40.  That should keep you busy.

nother note on 2142:  They never really did iron out some of the performace issues, especially when inside one of the capitol ships.

morlac00 on PSN
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »

Bf2 isn't ww2 its set slightly in the future

Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:49 AM »

Quote from: morlac on April 06, 2009, 06:02:01 PM

Hell you can probably pick up both 2142 and BF 2 for around $40.  That should keep you busy.

nother note on 2142:  They never really did iron out some of the performace issues, especially when inside one of the capitol ships.

I just picked up and am installing the BF2 complete collection in the background.  I paid $30 for it.

I tried reinstalling my original BF2 the other day but I only have the disk and the CD key must be in a box in the garage.  I figure it was worth the $30 to get access to the whole collection and BF2 has always been one of my favorite games of all time.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:29:36 AM »

BF2 is still riding 6th in the xfire charts which shows the game still has legs and is still popular so you won't have a problem with finding servers etc

http://www.xfire.com/games/bf2/Battlefield_2/

My game WIC is down in the 100's so is more of a problem frown

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:53:38 PM »

I still play the heck out BF2142. It is the best of the BF series to date by a solid margin imo. A great balance between vehicles and infantry (unlike BF2, where choppers and jets ruled everything). The multiplayer community is still going strong - lots of servers out there to be found. I'll highly recommend the TacticalGamer server (www.tacticalgamer.com). They have a great rules-set, and admins on frequently to help keep any asshattery to an absolute minimum. AS far as 'public play' goes it also has the best teamwork I've seen anywhere, pretty much ever.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »

Quote from: Crux on April 08, 2009, 04:53:38 PM

I still play the heck out BF2142. It is the best of the BF series to date by a solid margin imo. A great balance between vehicles and infantry (unlike BF2, where choppers and jets ruled everything). The multiplayer community is still going strong - lots of servers out there to be found. I'll highly recommend the TacticalGamer server (www.tacticalgamer.com). They have a great rules-set, and admins on frequently to help keep any asshattery to an absolute minimum. AS far as 'public play' goes it also has the best teamwork I've seen anywhere, pretty much ever.

do you use Xfire, Crux? If so, whats your handle? I'd be up for some MP'ing with more OO'ers/GT'ers...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »

I'll second those TG servers, pretty much where I play both Battlefields most of the time.

morlac00 on PSN
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:36 AM »

Hmmm... Don't know where I got the idea that BF2 was a WWII game.  I might have just been making an assumption since the first BF was a WWII game and thought the 2nd was more of the same.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks again!

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:26:24 AM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on April 09, 2009, 12:13:36 AM

Hmmm... Don't know where I got the idea that BF2 was a WWII game.  I might have just been making an assumption since the first BF was a WWII game and thought the 2nd was more of the same.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks again!

Since the first one, there has been a Battlefield: Vietnam that also wasn't WWII (obviously slywink )

BF1942
BF Vietnam
BF2
BF2142
BF Bad Company
BF Heroes
BF 1943
BF Bad Company 2

plus expansions.  pretty decent variety of time periods.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: