http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2142 patch 1.05 released  (Read 2953 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:44:49 AM »

I don't know if too many other people around here play this one, but EA has just released the 1.05 patch and you can grab it at FileFront and pretty much everywhere else.  Most of the fixes are pretty minor and deal with stats tracking and such.  Good to see some early support for this one, though. 

ISSUE FIXES
- Ground Defence kills now count towards Ground Base Defence Ribbon
- Using the Medic Hub now counts towards Silver Medic Excellence Badge
- Silver Titan Destruction - Badge awarded when core is destroyed
- Debriefing End of Round screen displays player stats
- Enemy Squad Leader Spawn beacon is no longer visible on the 3dMap
- Can now bind same key to crouch for common and land vehicles
- User now unable to repeatedly spam a squad leader to join a locked squad
- Spinning tank turret no longer pushes player inside clipped geometry
- Users can play single-player (offline) mode when EA servers are unavailable
- Fixed issue that caused Battlerecorder Playback And Camera Control Interface function
- Corrected missile silo numbers in Titan Mode
- Squad Leader Spawn Beacon can now be used after a round or map change in online games
- Missing game information in Swedish and Danish when a mutiny occurs against your commander added
- Inconsistent game references removed
- BF2142 showing up as Battlefield 2 in Windows firewall exception list fixed
- Patching update message will shut the game down instead of minimize if EA Link is installed on users machine
- Stats tracking optimizations
- Revised AR's deviation per bullet
- Titan no longer moveable by the Commander once Titan shields are down
- Installer checks for BF2142 running in the background before installing patch
- Improved player collision protocol
- Optimized EA Master Server connection calls

Sandwiches do fix everything.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:27:29 AM »

Lots of nice fixes, especially the titan going immobile when the shields drop.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »

I loathe in-game ads, but that doesn't change the fact that Battlfield 2142 is absolutely the best BF experience I've ever had.  Or at least the demo is.  DICE has nailed the pacing; there's never a dull moment (or long series of moments) spent trecking to a battle, and the vehicles and toys have never been more exciting or imaginitive (at least compared to those in every other BF).  I love crashing into the midst of a raging battle via launch pods.

So I'm glad to see some bugs patched up, and I'll be getting this one for $25 this Friday at Best Buy.  And my firewall will be ready to block ports the instant any ads show up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:34:51 AM »

Did the final version of the game turn out to be better than the godawful mess of a demo? Anyone?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:09:51 PM »

Yeah dude, totally awesome.  It's kind of getting buried under the deluge of new games right now here in IRC/BC-land.  But it'll pick up again, it always does.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 02:21:23 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on November 22, 2006, 03:09:51 PM

Yeah dude, totally awesome.  It's kind of getting buried under the deluge of new games right now here in IRC/BC-land.  But it'll pick up again, it always does.
Reallly? Tempting sir, tempting-you guys totally gave up on BF2 right?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 02:22:48 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 23, 2006, 02:21:23 AM

It's pretty safe to say that the IRC/BC is more or less done with BF2.  Maybe we'll come back for some nostalgia or whatever, or some burning desire to play in "modern times".  But for the most part it's a safe bet that BF2 is done.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 02:55:48 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on November 23, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Quote from: Calvin on November 23, 2006, 02:21:23 AM

It's pretty safe to say that the IRC/BC is more or less done with BF2.  Maybe we'll come back for some nostalgia or whatever, or some burning desire to play in "modern times".  But for the most part it's a safe bet that BF2 is done.
Alrighty. If I can find it on sale I might pick it up then.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 03:34:29 PM »

I highly recommend this game I think a company finally got it right with a shooter.  The game looks great on my PC and the netcode does a darn good job so far.  I play as an assault guy (medic) and have unlocked up to the heavy weapon and the area healing ability.  Some unlocks are for all types of characters while others are type specific, the frag grenade was my first unlock.  Another nice feature is the away scoring bonus for those that do not play a lot.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »

How are the ads?

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:22:07 PM »

I haven't seen any ads yet. Once I do, though, I'll be sure to report them.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 02:55:39 AM »

The ads haven't been very pervasive at all yet, but you can see where they have spots set aside for them (billboards, shipping containers, etc).  So far most of those spots are just filled with fake ads for one of the in-game armies/sides.

In other news, they released a 1.06 hotfix to fix a problem with crashes to desktop at the end of Titan matches. 

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 05:16:00 AM »

Grabbed it at Best Buy on sale today.  Looks like its fun enough to play.  How many people use voice on the game?  Can I play and have fun on random servers without using a headset?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 05:19:31 AM »

Quote from: Scott on November 25, 2006, 05:16:00 AM

Grabbed it at Best Buy on sale today.  Looks like its fun enough to play.  How many people use voice on the game?  Can I play and have fun on random servers without using a headset?

That's all I ever do and I have a great time.  I'm not a fan of using voice chat with random people so I don't even bother to turn it on.  There are enough quick-chat options and squad commands so that unless you had a really close team you don't need it as far as I'm concerned. 

Also worth noting that if you can't find a copy at your local Best Buy this busy weekend, Amazon has it for $25 also. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 06:16:49 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 03:11:05 PM »

I use voice in-game, and it does add a certain factor of tactics when working with a squad. Once you get a good squad with good communication, you love it. You'll discuss tactics (let's go for the left flank), enemy positions (behind you!), or just yell if you need some help (flag is half way down but I need help stat!). I've been in a few good squads, and I do say they are quite fun using voice communication.

That said, 2142 does an excellent job relaying all sorts of information to your HUD w/o any use of voice. It's not required, it's just something that I enjoy.

matt "mattc0m" richards
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 06:18:06 AM »

I went for the $25 for BF2142 and cant play the game frown

It happily installs from the dvd but then cant find the friggin dvd I just used to install it when I try to run it. Stupid copy protection. Tried numerous things from other sites and still no go. Guess it doesnt like that I have Nero or Alcohol installed. As I am not uninstalling those I will try a fresh windows install on a removable drive. Or maybe a 1.06 crack will show.

I've never had this issue before. Its quickly souring BF games.

EDIT: Tried different Alcohol settings and finally uninstalled it and it still didnt work. I read something about setting DVD to PIO mode but I dont have this option as I run my DVD from an ATI100 Card and not mobo. So this morning I swapped my DVD to run off the mobo and the CD to run off the ATI100 Card and now BF is working smile . I didnt have to change modes so guess something with copy protection didnt like the ATI card since other DVD games have worked fine. Reinstalled Alcohol and it still works. Ah the joys of PC gaming..numerous configs..conflicts..off to game..

EDIT2: Finally played a bit. Only about 10 minutes but really enjoy it. Played on some snowy city map. I ended up 4/4. Not bad when compared to JointOps where I always had a horrible ratio. If only they would implement lean. Feels weird not being able to.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:42:50 PM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »

Yea! I love pointless copy protection! Especially considering that the game requires a CD-key just to go online! Why protect the disc itself?

Dumbasses.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 11:26:42 PM »

I see ads all the time now.

There is always multiple Intel Core 2 Duo billboards plastered all over the battlefield now.

Pretty lame.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 11:37:10 PM »

I actually didn't notice them until today - mostly because I was LOOKING for them today (to take a few screenshots). To be honest, it's not all that bad, at least I don't think it is. I barely notice them, and I think they blend in fine. But here's a few shots anyway, just so you see what they look like.

[attachment deleted by admin]

matt "mattc0m" richards
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 05:46:05 AM »

oh that isn't bad at all. I just logged in a game and didn't really notice anything.

Just Hiro will do.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »

Does the game support widescreen resolutions yet, like 1650x1080, or is it still pretty limited?

---
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it by default (you can't set the resolution through 2142), but I think the game supports it fine.

There are a range of commands which can be activated via the Battlefield 2142 command line. To use these commands, go to your main Battlefield 2142 launch icon, right-click on it and select Properties. Then in the Target box, after the "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 text, insert a blank space, then use any of the commands below. Each command must have a single blank space between it and the next command.

For example, to set a custom resolution for BF2142, change your command line to look similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Note the addition of the +szx and +szy commands which respectively set the width and height of the custom resolution to be used. Substitute other values for other resolutions (e.g. +szx 1900 +szy 1200).

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_7.html

matt "mattc0m" richards
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »

You mean to tell me that after all this time, they are still too lazy to code in 1280x1024 support, or even widescreen resolutions?   Roll Eyes  WTF is going on over at that studio?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 27, 2006, 02:53:12 PM

You mean to tell me that after all this time, they are still too lazy to code in 1280x1024 support, or even widescreen resolutions?   Roll Eyes  WTF is going on over at that studio?

It would probably take less time to open up your Battlefield 2142 shortcut, paste in "+szx 1280 +szy 1024", and press enter - than it did to write that messge.

Widescreen isn't "officially" supported, but it works fine and it's not causing you any pain. Heck, it's faster to edit your shortcut than it is to get into your game and change it through settings, I don't see a problem here.  :icon_eek:

matt "mattc0m" richards
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 05:20:10 PM »

No, see, what it is is that EA/Dice believes that people with widescreen monitors will have an 'advantage' over the poor people who don't have said monitor. Yes, it's a retarded answer, but that's what they believe.

So...why can't they just support widescreen monitors, but simply don't display anything beyond what a standard 4:3 screen would show?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »

So...why can't they just support widescreen monitors, but simply don't display anything beyond what a standard 4:3 screen would show?
So you can tweak the resolution, but it displays everything stretched?

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 06:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Scott on November 27, 2006, 05:46:12 PM

So you can tweak the resolution, but it displays everything stretched?

Likely so, their other games did this, so everything was stretched.  Widescreen I might write it off as an oversight.  But lack of 1280x1024 Native (for almost all 17 and 19 LCDs) is just plain lame.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 08:32:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2006, 05:20:10 PM

No, see, what it is is that EA/Dice believes that people with widescreen monitors will have an 'advantage' over the poor people who don't have said monitor. Yes, it's a retarded answer, but that's what they believe.

This is truly one of the stupidest copouts for not including widescreen support I have ever heard. EA is so pathetic at times.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 04:06:49 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2006, 08:32:46 PM

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2006, 05:20:10 PM

You mean to tell me that after all this time, they are still too lazy to code in 1280x1024 support, or even widescreen resolutions?   Roll Eyes  WTF is going on over at that studio?

This is truly one of the stupidest copouts for not including widescreen support I have ever heard. EA is so pathetic at times.

It's not really a cop-out...increased field of view can give an advantage in a competitive FPS and it is one of the things that is looked at by PunkBuster and other anti-cheat software.  However, it seems as if they should be able to keep the same horizontal FOV to appease the anti-cheat and reduce the vertical FOV to keep the widescreen aspect ratio intact. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 04:09:04 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 08:02:48 PM »

Using the widescreen commandline switches does not "stretch" the image. The aspect ratio stays correct, but instead of "true" widescreen with more viewable horizontally (Hor+), it actually just crops off the top and bottom of a typical 4:3 image (Vert-). So in actuality, widescreen gamers are at a disadvantage. I don't see why EA/Dice can't simply comprimise and take a little away from the vertical viewing and adding a little on the sides. This way there would be no substantial advantage to either option. With the way it is now (like BF2), the FOV simply feels too zoomed in when playing in WS.

EA is so lame.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 02:30:15 AM »

I don't care about trying to gain any advantage.  I've pretty much passed on the game because of the resolution issue.  The demo just looks bad when the monitor tries to scale it, and I'd rather it not be cropped.

---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: