http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 04:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2142: In game ads!  (Read 1703 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »

According to Shacknews:

"To make a war set in 2142 more realistic, DICE and EA today announced that IGA will be providing in-game advertising for Battlefield 2142. Players will see "new, realistic brand presence integrated into contextually relevant game environments". "

That's great.  I feel like this announcement just saved me $50 smile

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:19:14 PM »

This stuff never bothered me personally. 

Maybe cause I never seem to notice it's there until someone points out a certain game has it.

Further proof I am clueless most of the time I think.   icon_wink

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »

Honestly, probably doesn't bother me to much either, unless its really obvious.  Still, seeing an ad for 'Coke' in a game set in the far future might be obnoxious.

Mostly, with so many good games coming out this fall, maybe this just knocks 2142 down a slight peg for me compared to some others, when I decide to get what's next.

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 01:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Scott on August 31, 2006, 12:36:36 PM

That's great.  I feel like this announcement just saved me $50 smile

I tried the beta, and saved myself $50.   thumbsdown

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 01:43:55 PM »

That's so true Scott.  Between the new games, expansions, etc... coming out in the next 5 months alone, time will be a big, big issue.

September thru January will have timesink after timesink after timesink.  Some really good games may need to be shelved and pulled out for the 'dry season'.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
siege

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »

Quite frankly, it should bother you. Why you may be able to ignore advertisements, it's the principle of the matter. You will have paid your $50 for the product, while EA is making even more money by shoving adverts in your face.

If we get to a point where we have to PAY to be advertised to, I simply won't buy anything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »

I've been done with the battlefield series for a long while now.  Plenty of other games with the same formula but with more gameplay innovations and better support, and no ads.

However, I'm mostly okay with this unless they screw it up and ruin the immersion, which I know EA will do.  Some of the best directors have trouble with product placement in a movie, and games are no different.

Splinter Cell had the best use of in game ads, until Ubisoft patched in more obnxious ads.

And honestly, I don't think in game ads are "the future" of games.  So far all it has been is a way for big game companies to eke a bit more profit by sacrificing immersion without passing that back to developers and consumers.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 02:00:53 PM »

Quote from: siege on August 31, 2006, 01:52:49 PM

Quite frankly, it should bother you. Why you may be able to ignore advertisements, it's the principle of the matter. You will have paid your $50 for the product, while EA is making even more money by shoving adverts in your face.

If we get to a point where we have to PAY to be advertised to, I simply won't buy anything.

Exactly, and sadly, the world is coming to this!   Anyone remember when cable was essentially advertising free? I do..  They claimed because we PAID for the channels, they didn't need advertising supplimentation..  We all know how long THAT lasted..  Perhaps product placement in a game, with a reduced retail price of $29 might be deemed acceptable.  But $50-60 AND full advertising spam glory?  You can go shove it.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 02:14:17 PM »

Does anyone recall if Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles 2: The Arcade Game was the first game to have in game ads? I remember being amazed to see Pizza Hut ads in that game.

PSN ID: EduardoX
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:23:22 PM »

They're already pushing it by sellin' it for $50.  That's just garbage.

But ingame ad's aren't a big deal. To me anyway. Unless it severely cuts down on performance.

Just Hiro will do.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 02:38:27 PM »

Quote from: siege on August 31, 2006, 01:52:49 PM

Cable television.
(Doh! Kobra mentioned it)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »

Wow siege.... telling us what should bother us now?

Regarding something as inconsequential as computer game entertainment no less?

I just LOVE when someone else tells me what should bother me.

Your point on 'principle' is fine, and I do not necessarily disagree in theory, but perhaps you should consider the way you 'say' things.

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »

I find the practice reprehensible, in fact it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  A bad taste I'll easily remedy with an ice cold glass of Barq's Root Beer, mmm...nothing is more cool and refreshing than Barq's Root Beer.  Barq's has a bite I like, and always leaves my mouth smiling.

If I had to choose between EA in-game ads and a delicious Barq's Root Beer break, I would definitely go with the wonderful taste of Barq's.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 31, 2006, 03:09:43 PM

I find the practice reprehensible, in fact it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  A bad taste I'll easily remedy with an ice cold glass of Barq's Root Beer, mmm...nothing is more cool and refreshing than Barq's Root Beer.  Barq's has a bite I like, and always leaves my mouth smiling.

If I had to choose between EA in-game ads and a delicious Barq's Root Beer break, I would definitely go with the wonderful taste of Barq's.

Good thing I'm drinking water otherwise I might be thirsty all of a sudden.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 04:52:14 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 31, 2006, 02:57:39 PM

Wow siege.... telling us what should bother us now?

Regarding something as inconsequential as computer game entertainment no less?

I just LOVE when someone else tells me what should bother me.

Your point on 'principle' is fine, and I do not necessarily disagree in theory, but perhaps you should consider the way you 'say' things.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my choice of words, Lockdown. I apologize. However, I can't seem to think how anyone would think advertising in video games was a good idea unless we benefited by it with lower retail costs.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

How about this for a positive?

In game ads = more revenue = more cash allocated to said game = more support.

In theory anyway.

Just Hiro will do.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 05:18:36 PM »

siege - thanks for the apology, but I was only semi-serious.  (Should have included the wink.) 

Now, if you would have told me I should think Demi is hotter than Kate... THEN I really would have been pissed.

icon_wink

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 05:33:30 PM »

I hope your not talking about Katie Holmes as your Kate!  (Beckinsale on the other hand, feel free to keep going...)

I'd be okay with the ads if they weren't intrusive, fit the context, and allowed for free new maps, etc.  With EA though, they'll be intrusive, won't match the context, and we'll still be paying $30+ for expansions...

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »

Quote from: Scott on August 31, 2006, 05:33:30 PM

I hope your not talking about Katie Holmes as your Kate!  (Beckinsale on the other hand, feel free to keep going...)

There is only ONE Kate, Scott.

You have just been reported for being dumb.

icon_biggrin

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 06:03:01 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on August 31, 2006, 04:57:06 PM

How about this for a positive?

In game ads = more revenue = more cash allocated to said game = more support.

In theory anyway.

In theory, yes, but it'll never happen. In game ads = more profit for said company. Said profit is never used to support said game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »

You have just been reported for being dumb.
lol

I wasn't sure, Demi isn't so... well... so "interesting" these days..  No way anyone could compare her to the correct Kate, so I was searching for other Kates that you could possibly have thought of.  Thought you were losing it for a bit.

---
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »

Scott, I just received Lockdown's report about you being dumb.

Please smarten up.

Thanks
GT Mod Team
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 01:29:14 AM »

I actually thought EA handled in-game advertising really well in NFS: Most Wanted.

Driving past a Citgo station instead of a generic gas station, or driving past a resteraunt you recognize from the real world, it made for easy landmarks in the gameworld and actually helped immersion a little bit.

Of course.. they weren't shoved in your face every thirty seconds.

I'd say this all depends on how it gets implemented.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 02:38:11 AM »

You will have paid your $50 for the product, while EA is making even more money by shoving adverts in your face.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They're charging full price ($49.99) for the game, and yet are still including in game advertisements?
I could understand if a budget value game did that, but a monster corporation like EA?

Oh and the Coke comment.. Coke's been around for over 100 years now and I've got no doubt they'll still be around when we have a Terminater-style AI take over of the world in 2142.. Hell they'll probably be the ones to build the robots that go bad when they get tired of paying cheap labour and can just have robots do it instead, until the robots themselves revolt and start killing us all!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 01, 2006, 01:29:14 AM

I actually thought EA handled in-game advertising really well in NFS: Most Wanted.

Driving past a Citgo station instead of a generic gas station, or driving past a resteraunt you recognize from the real world, it made for easy landmarks in the gameworld and actually helped immersion a little bit.

Of course.. they weren't shoved in your face every thirty seconds.

I'd say this all depends on how it gets implemented.

In BF2142 it'll depend if I can destroy it with a rocket.  Sadly nothing in the terrain is deformable though....sigh.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 07:49:57 PM »

I just hope that one of the ads is for UT2007.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: