http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:00:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2142 beta begins.  (Read 2987 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:44:55 AM »

Supposedly Friday.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/bf2142/

(I assume 3dgamers works as well for that)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:22:56 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:53:07 AM »

Quote from: "Kobra"
Supposedly Friday.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/bf2142/

(I assume 3dgamers works as well for that)

Yep.  We've got myself and another player who will be playing in the closed Beta shortly as well.  We'll get back to ya on whether it is MOTS. smile

Oh, and by the way.  Welcome to the forum Kobra.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:56:43 AM »

Let us know, so I can warm up my copy of BF2 to sell on Ebay for this one. If history is a lesson for me, I shelve the previous one anytime a new one comes out in this series.

I'd like to get a jump on the Ebay rush this time around.  :lol:

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:15:26 PM »

I skipped Battlefield 2.  I loved Battlefield 1942, but Vietnam turned me off a bit, then I didn't feel like bothering with Battlefield 2.  Partly because my computer wouldn't run it very well at the time as well.  I haven't wanted to buy the game lately, and get slaughtered by experienced players.  

I guess, my point is, should I look forward to 2142?  Did Battlefield 2 end up being a really good game, or has the franchise declined?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:58:22 PM »

The franchise has not declined in my opinion Scott.  

I think you should look forward to 2142.  Furthermore, I think you should plan on getting the game and playing with us.

Next question?

:wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 01:02:01 PM »

Excellent.  Is it really due out this fall?

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Excellent.  Is it really due out this fall?
October 10th, last time I checked.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
The franchise has not declined in my opinion Scott.  

I think you should look forward to 2142.  Furthermore, I think you should plan on getting the game and playing with us.

Next question?

:wink:

What he said.  BF:V was a LOT of fun, but I can definitely understand how it frustrated some from a technical standpoint (as technically, it was a bloody mess).

I honestly cannot fathom anyone who liked BF 1942 NOT liking BF2, however.

I am super stoked for BF2142.

gellar
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 04:12:33 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Well, if BF2 ran like crap on your machine...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "gellar"
Well, if BF2 ran like crap on your machine...

Point taken... I'm still not certain I will be able to run it on my new machine at full details.

gellar
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »

I'm fairly pumped.  It sounds good, and it looks like DICE is making a real effort to squash all the bugs before release.

But I never forget, I'm cursed in regards to the Battlefield series.

Just Hiro will do.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 05:39:11 PM »

I've really never played any games in the Battlefield series.  I downloaded the demo for BF1942 or whatever but that's it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 06:32:16 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Yep.  We've got myself and another player who will be playing in the closed Beta shortly as well.  We'll get back to ya on whether it is MOTS. smile
You picked someone other than me?!   :o  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 03:32:42 AM »

Quote from: depward on August 10, 2006, 05:39:11 PM

I've really never played any games in the Battlefield series.  I downloaded the demo for BF1942 or whatever but that's it.

The demo for BF1942 was the single most influential demo I have ever played.  It was also the one I played the most. By far.

Looking forward to 2142 though I'm not really tired of BF2.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 04:20:31 AM »

BF1942 Demo was monsterous for us.. We played that for a long time, in fact, the demo was so good, it delayed us buying the game for nearly a year!

Savage had such a good demo, a lot of people never bought the game.  retard

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 07:09:49 AM »

Yeah the Battlefield 1942 demo was one of a kind. My computer could actually handle it too.

I remember loading up a singleplayer game with something like 31 bots (maybe it was even 64) and playing on a sea map where we started out on a carrier full of planes.
I watched as my teammate bots ran out and jumped in the planes taking off, jumping in the boats in squads and landing on shore to invade.
Then on to the singleplayer land map, watching bots jump in jeeps, tanks, driver and gunner positions.. being the bot fan I am, I've never seen anything quite like that before.

However after playing it for about a month I saw just how poorly done the jobs were after all.. it's just that first impression that "WOWs" you.

Online on the other hand was a blast as well.. grabbing a mini jeep and flying through the map, running over the lone infantry man who thought he could go out all by himself, ramming it into a tank and going out in a blaze of glory taking the tank with you!
Damn those were good times..

But with Battlefield 2 they nearly dropped the bot support - instead of 64 bots, it went down to a measly 16. (There are hacks to up it to 64 - but the bots are only way pointed for the 16 player version maps.) No COOP anymore.
And now with 2142 - as great as it's sounding - it looks like yet another step backwards for AI as they already confirmed the bots won't even play the new game type.. (So tired right now forgot what it was called)
I know I know "battlefield is an online game" and I agree, I'm just a bit disappointed that DICE went from trying to do so much with the bots (battlefield 2142) to bringing them down to next to nothing (battlefield 2 and 2142)
How can AI ever move forward if developers only concentrate on the online play?
At this rate, we'll never get to see the Terminater-style robot take over the world!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »

I agree, which is why BF1942 is still played around here, and BF2 is being sold off.

Bots rule,  Dice indeed seems to be heading down the wrong path.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »

I was under the impression the bots in 1942 weren't very good, and that their "A.I." were improved in BF2. 

Is that incorrect?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 05:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 16, 2006, 03:16:51 PM

I was under the impression the bots in 1942 weren't very good, and that their "A.I." were improved in BF2. 

Is that incorrect?
They're better, but that's like saying that they've gone from week old crap to day old crap.

They'll 'play', but they're unable to realize that they're better off waiting for a second for another bot to jump into the back seat of a vehicle, mostly unable to actually 'attack' any point on the map in a group, and they clearly have a lack of any sort of brain.

They have amazing accuracy and reaction time though (and they cheat like you wouldn't believe when they get in a plane/jet), so when they do start shooting at you, they generally hit.

Oh, and they did add in co-op (multiple humans against the AI) play in the latest patch of BF2. Yeah, it was many a moon after the game was released, but they finally put it in.

And the fact that the bots can't play the new mode in BF 2142 is the usual developer lazyness I'm used to seeing on EA titles (and for that matter most developers period). What happened to the bots that could play every game mode in UT2K4? Yeah, they had some limitations, but they worked great.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 04:36:42 AM »

Registrations for beta are up!

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/bf2142/screening.aspx

http://dnet.3dgamers.com/promotions/bf2142/

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 07:02:44 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 18, 2006, 04:36:42 AM

Sweet must make use of the remaining 2 weeks of my file planet registration smile

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 05:13:37 PM »

I actually signed up for Fileplanet for the quarter.  With a new PC coming, I figured there is a ton of stuff I'll want to download and try, so Fileplanet will save me a bunch of time.  Hopefully I'll get into the 2142 beta as well.

---
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 09:02:43 PM »

I'm in the private Beta.  (and now under NDA)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 09:58:34 PM »

ninja

LD

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 02:07:41 AM »

I think EA/Dice is going to have to prove themselves with this one before I make the plunge.  The fact that they still haven't fully patched BF2 while they intend to release this one in a couple months is just pathetic.  They need to drop their yearly release bullshit and build solid games from the ground up. 

Things like the menus/interface that people have been complaining about since the first game should have been fixed years ago and not just trotted out again and again in every new version, expansion and community-splintering booster pack. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 02:25:28 AM »

No to mention they rushed out a crappy expansion to BF2 before fixing up and patching BF2.

That was just lame.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 05:31:56 PM »

I will be in the Beta next week according to File Planet

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »

Yeah that was pretty fucked up how they rushed the expansion out like that without even taking care of the first game.
Can you blame EA though? They made a killing from us off of Battlefield 2.. the game was on the top 10 list for ages, even at $49.99 many months after release, it continued to outsell many other new releases.
It's in EA's nature to milk their customers until they get every last dime they can out of us.

When it comes to developers supporting their fans, I'd give the golden plate to Epic hands down. From the original Unreal Tournament to Unreal Tournament 2004 - they always fully support bots on all game modes and maps, have great online play, and work with the mod community giving them bonuses to develop extra content.. and of course, Epic has released plenty of patches including fixes, improvements and even new features and levels - all for free.
Can't wait to see what's in store for Unreal Tournament 2007 (Although if Midway's publishing it I'm a bit worried abou them including Starforce as they did with other games)

Back on topic though.. 2142 looks great, but just as they did with battlefield 2, the developers are leaving the singleplayer/bot crowd in the dust again. A real shame too, because it's not like they coudn't afford to hire an extra AI programmer or two to work on the bots and make sure they're fully featured.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 10:29:27 PM »

Looks like the beta is up again on Fileplanet. Didn't quite understand the pre-registration process the previous week as it made me go through the entire thing again. But at least I'm downloading it now (1.16G download).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 11:19:14 PM »

I'd like to get some time in with some competent players.  It makes all the difference inthe world in a game like this...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 12:28:44 AM »

Its ok, I am not overly impressed.  Feels more like BF2 skinned with futuristic models.  IDENTICAL engine, interface, menus and, same sloppy server interface, same unoptimized piggy engine that we've come to know in BF2.  Worse, same lack of widescreen and 1280x1024 resolutions selectable within the game..  WTF?  Given almost all 19" monitors use 1280x1024, why are they too lazy to add an option for that? 

Overall, feels like more of the same chaos we've come to loathe from BF series.  Doesn't seem to be any single player whatsoever in the game, and I understanding any bots they do generously include, will be dumber than sticks, and not support most game types?

This might be the only BF game we skip this round (not including all of the paid mods for BF2, we skipped those as well because we were waiting for patches for the core game).

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »

Just a heads up for those who missed codes last week.

The year is 2142,
and the dawn of a new Ice age has thrown the world into a panic. The math is simple and brutal: The soil not covered by ice can only feed a fraction of the Earth’s population. Some will live, most will die.

In Battlefield 2142, players will choose to fight for one of two military superpowers in an epic battle for survival, the European Union or the newly formed Pan Asian Coalition. Armed with a devastating arsenal of hi-tech assault rifles, cloaking devices and sentry guns, players will also do battle using some of the most imposing vehicles known to man. Massive battle Mechs wage fierce combat on the ground, while futuristic aircraft rule the skies. When facing one of these new behemoths, players will need to use their wits and an arsenal of new countermeasures like EMP grenades to level the playing field.

• Titan Mode - Wage epic-scale war to defeat your opponent’s Titan, a massive flying warship, controlled by the team’s commander. Players must destroy the Titan’s shields, board the craft, fight to its reactor core and detonate it from the inside – all while defending their own Titan.

• 64-Players Online* - Experience all-out war with Battlefield’s legendary multiplayer for up to 64 players.

• Real-Time Persistence - To the victor goes the spoils! Equipment, medals and other rewards are awarded in-game and in real time. Choose an unlock and have access to it immediately next time you spawn. The game features five times more unlocks than Battlefield 2.

• Customisable Abilities - Gamers can expand their abilities and blend multiple player classes to match their play-style.

• Lethal Vehicles - Gamers control menacing Battle Walkers that stalk the land and futuristic gunships that patrol the skies. APC’s and high-speed recon vehicles keep the action fast, furious and unpredictable.

• High-Tech Weaponry - EMP grenades, sentry guns, smart mines, cloaking devices, and more change the rules of the Battlefield forever.

• The world has changed - Fight for survival on the Battlefield of the 22nd century in brand new locations from Minsk to North Africa as the ice presses down from the North.

Go get some, Soldier!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:06:19 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »

I started a new thread to draw attention to the beta test.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 25, 2006, 03:05:11 PM

Was that really necessary?  Maybe delete that one as mine has a title change.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 03:50:20 AM »

Wow. take it personally.

Your thread was "imminent" not OPEN NOW. I wanted to make sure that people didn't miss it in case there was a time limit.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »

The beta is now open to non subscribers. Hurry before all the keys are gone.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »

eek That is one seriously unoptimized beta.

I was pinging 20-30 from the scoreboard, but I kept warping around like I had a 5000+ ping. No idea what was going on. One minute I was flying around the helicopter vehicle (which is extremely easy compared to the ones in BF2) and the next minute I just blew up with no visual evidence as to why. I even had to type really slowly when talking to others, because it wouldn't register my keystrokes if I typed too quickly.

When the round ended, the mothership or whatever blew up and then I crashed to desktop. I found that appropriate as I uninstalled it.

It really is just a new skin for BF2. I prefer the futuristic theme, but the problem is DICE doesn't know how to code apparently. Completely unplayable. Sort of scary to think it's shipping in just over a month.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:58:38 PM by siege » Logged
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 10:07:26 PM »

if you've given up on it, can you pm me your key, for I have missed the beta signups frown.

Just Hiro will do.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on August 31, 2006, 10:07:26 PM

if you've given up on it, can you pm me your key, for I have missed the beta signups frown.

Sent.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:40:21 PM »

I want it to be noted in the public record that siege is AWESOME and no bad words shall be said of him EVER, lest my wrath be incurred.

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: