http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2  (Read 3201 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »

Its obviously my time to revisit older games. Having had a blast in WIC I noticed that BF2 complete was under a tenner. So I thought could be worth a revisit but no point if its not being played much. Checked the stats in xfire and its currently running in 5th place in the league - incredibly impressive considering the age and with the advantage now i'll be able to play it totally maxed out.

Anyone else playing or plan to play it.

Patch instructions here is reinstall required

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/battlefield_2/b49101/19616147/p1/

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »

I still play it on occasion but mostly the Point of Existence mod. 

morlac00 on PSN
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:29:15 AM »

This game was pretty much my exclusive MP fix for a good six months a few years ago. The only caveat with joining a game like that now is the remaining player base is going to be the most hardcore fans who know everything inch of the game and maps, so it could be intimidating to a new player.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on March 18, 2009, 12:29:15 AM

The only caveat with joining a game like that now is the remaining player base is going to be the most hardcore fans who know everything inch of the game and maps, so it could be intimidating to a new player.

I thought about re-installing it but that's the one thing that stopped me.  when I stopped playing things were already getting insane (like with the jumping and then going prone in mid air stunts) so I'm thinking it will be nothing but one frustrating thing after another at this point.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »

I'm not so sure. If the game is 5th in the xfire league of daily players that is a lot of people. Wic is 100th and it has 20000 active players!
My suspicion is the game is now fitting nicely with peoples specs so you should get a nice mix.
I'm all patched up so will try over next couple of days.
The big problem for me is those damn loading times. I'd forgotten about those till I fired it up last night

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »

oohhhh - I've been itching to replay this for a while now, especially the Spec ops expansion - you did have that awhile ago, didnt you Tals?

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »

I have the lot smile

Project reality mod apparently is also getting a lot of love

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »

I loved the BF2 game as a whole and was renting a server for it for quite awhile.  Eventually the load times just could not be tolerated anymore.

I'd spend 5-8 minutes loading and half the time the map would switch in the middle but the game would still complete the load and then tell me the map switched and start over.  Could be 15 minutes of loading to get into an actual match.

Got more memory, faster cpu, faster HDD and still had pretty extensive load times.

I also could not STAND the people 'porpoising'  was a huge immersion breaker
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 18, 2009, 11:33:38 AM

I'd spend 5-8 minutes loading and half the time the map would switch in the middle but the game would still complete the load and then tell me the map switched and start over.  Could be 15 minutes of loading to get into an actual match.

ouch.  luckily my load time wsn't that bad, but it was still annoying.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »

There are quite a few servers that ban dolphine divers.  Tactigal Gamers is one, can't recall the others but they are out there.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:33:16 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »

battlefield heroes is due out soon and i am told,  yeah thats it, i was told, it is an incredibly fun game.  ... and its free
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »

The #GG crew had some good times with this one.  I often think of firing it up again, I really miss Joint Ops though.

My days in the Adultgamerelite clan were probably some of the best MP times EVER.  I liked the BF series.. but the vehicles were awful to control.. nothing like the coordinated heli attacks in Joint Ops.

"Goonies never say die"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:27:52 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 18, 2009, 02:31:42 PM

There are quite a few servers that ban dolphine divers.  Tactigal Gamers is one, can't recall the others but they are out there.

no clue what Dolphin Divers are

Anyways, I'm up for this - not sure if I'll have the time to install until this weekend, but definitely up for it...

I too have fond memories of killing a lot of OO guys, Morlac I do believe I've had my share of Tank duels with :-D

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 18, 2009, 03:27:52 PM

Quote from: morlac on March 18, 2009, 02:31:42 PM

no clue what Dolphin Divers are

Dolphin Diving.  according to that it got patched out.

Because I can,
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »

You found BF2 Complete for under 10 bucks? Whereabouts?
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

I still have it installed. Let me know if you want to play sometime... my xfire is Mattc0m. Pretty decent medic.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 18, 2009, 12:31:26 AM

I thought about re-installing it but that's the one thing that stopped me.  when I stopped playing things were already getting insane (like with the jumping and then going prone in mid air stunts) so I'm thinking it will be nothing but one frustrating thing after another at this point.

This is dolphin diving. It did get patched that out.  However bunny hopping can still be bad but like I mentioned there are quite a few servers that ban for it.

El-Producto :  I was one of the founding members of Adult Gamers Elite, and yes Joint Ops was fantastic.

Razgon:  We did have some epic tank battles!  I'm going to Vegas for work on Saturday for a week so install it by Friday so I can kill you over and over again that night please  nod

I still have it installed but I never bothered to get the expansions frown

morlac00 on PSN
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:09:05 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on March 18, 2009, 04:44:03 PM

You found BF2 Complete for under 10 bucks? Whereabouts?

Over here its http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3308819/Battlefield-2-The-Complete-Edition/Product.html

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 06:23:54 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 18, 2009, 05:32:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 18, 2009, 12:31:26 AM

This is dolphin diving. It did get patched that out.  However bunny hopping can still be bad but like I mentioned there are quite a few servers that ban for it.

El-Producto :  I was one of the founding members of Adult Gamers Elite, and yes Joint Ops was fantastic.

Razgon:  We did have some epic tank battles!  I'm going to Vegas for work on Saturday for a week so install it by Friday so I can kill you over and over again that night please  nod

I still have it installed but I never bothered to get the expansions frown

Spec Ops is awesome! there are some pretty damn nice maps in it, small, elongated, forcing fights at specific chokepoints.

Anyways, hopefully I'll be ready friday night - installing as we speak!

Tals, anyone else up for it friday? Although, my evening is probably a bit earlier than most of you guys ;-)

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »

You will stay up late and like it!

I believe I was unemployed and home all day last time we played.

Hmm, If I can find them cheap I might just pick up the expansions.

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

heh, lets compromise, you'll get home early from work and try to stay off the booze, and I'll stay up somewhat late ;-)

btw, the patching is still the most horrendous I've ever tried...takes FOREVER to just start up, and the patch itself, while only being 500MB has taken 30 minutes so far, and is at 20 percent...

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »

I'm heavily back into WIC at the moment BUT smile Of course i'm up for playing - note xfire can grab the patch as well as is quite quick.

My version is all ready - I heard the project reality mod is worth a try but probably we just need to get in and play first smile

I suggest we link up through steam

Morlac - if you're Euro, play has the whole lot cheap but obviously it takes some time. I have the lot smile

RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »

Quote from: Tals on March 18, 2009, 11:10:32 AM

I have the lot smile

Project reality mod apparently is also getting a lot of love
I loved PR.  It's still got a decent community?  The developers were selling the server package independently, IIRC?

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 01:02:23 AM »

Special Forces made the game special, my friend and i were so tired of the constant tanks, jets, helicopters kicking shit out of us, but we loved infantry combat and that's exactly what special forces was about. Damn might have to reinstall it.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »

Re project reality one of my friends plays it solely and says it has a large community.

When I logged in ea were advertising it on login as a popup so I guess they are also pushing it

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on March 20, 2009, 01:02:23 AM

Special Forces made the game special, my friend and i were so tired of the constant tanks, jets, helicopters kicking shit out of us, but we loved infantry combat and that's exactly what special forces was about. Damn might have to reinstall it.

Agree on the jets and helio but the rest of the vehicles  I can live with.  Theres quite a few infantry only servers out there for what its worth.  i' m gonna fire it up tonight and see if my skills have deteriorated. 

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 20, 2009, 06:08:16 PM

Agree on the jets and helio but the rest of the vehicles  I can live with.  Theres quite a few infantry only servers out there for what its worth.  i' m gonna fire it up tonight and see if my skills have deteriorated. 

Morlac - I'll try to be online tonight, but cant say for sure - How do we find each other?? I have Xfire fired up today, name Razgon :-)

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 20, 2009, 07:25:03 PM

Morlac - I'll try to be online tonight, but cant say for sure - How do we find each other?? I have Xfire fired up today, name Razgon :-)

Or through steam. ninja

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 06:32:01 AM »

I dont beleive I have your steamname? Mine's razgon, and,eh...I kinda fell asleep rather early, but,Im UP rather early as well, meaning you should be up late now ;-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »

Quote from: morlac on March 20, 2009, 11:21:12 PM

Quote from: Razgon on March 20, 2009, 07:25:03 PM

Or through steam. ninja

I love steam but I still don't see it being better than xfire. One reason would be its detection - steam will only detect a game is being played if its run the game. So for example I want to encourage people to look at WIC so I have to run WIC through steam. Whereas xfire just detects the game is in memory.

Another is how it handles messages, steams is ok but you end up with this quite messy overlay when involved in chat in game whereas again xfire have this area pegged.

Then the addons smile

Screenshot and hosting of screenshots

How neat is this - any screenshot I have taken in game grouped by game smile
http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/tals/

Likewise videos
http://www.xfire.com/profile/tals/videos/

Then you have a better text chat more akin to irc where you can even leave the rooms permanently enabled.

You're also notice a lot of my screenshots have a clock at the top of the screen

http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/tals/ss_file-05013be05e9aa880602dfbc6d66969a04d07a0c0.jpg

That's xfire - you can have clock/fps indicator a message handler all pinned in game and to settings for that game. eg some games you may not want a clock others have it in a different position and it keeps it all dependant on game.

The features do go on but that's my main one - as well as liking to know how much I played a particular game smile

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »

I'm with tals, I love Xfire. It's not good for a casual gamer, but if you consider yourself even borderline "core" gamer, then you should get yourself the service. Easy for FPS overlays, screenshots, videos, web browsing (in-game), instant messenging, chat rooms, voice chats, time overlays, etc... all integrated in-game. Very nice.

Of course, its most useful feature is the ability to join off another friends game - any game they are play. Nice.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 04:32:49 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 21, 2009, 06:32:01 AM

I dont beleive I have your steamname? Mine's razgon, and,eh...I kinda fell asleep rather early, but,Im UP rather early as well, meaning you should be up late now ;-)

Sorry I missed you I was up till 4 am EST with the newborn too.  I'm on the road now, maybe we can arrange something for next weeekend. 

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 22, 2009, 04:32:49 AM

Quote from: Razgon on March 21, 2009, 06:32:01 AM

Sorry I missed you I was up till 4 am EST with the newborn too.  I'm on the road now, maybe we can arrange something for next weeekend. 

Im up for that - saturday night I'll be able to play, and probably also friday :-)

Anyways, I'm having a blast - I even got out BF 2142 as well, and got the expansion. The fact that EA games shop/downloader and "PERSONA" system is so severe fucked up that after buying the game, it still doesnt work anywhere, is something we'd best not talk about

This reminds me - Bf2142, if you use a nvidia card, you might just get total darkness and wierd colors sometimes - just turn off AA and it will be fine!

Playing normal BF right now, loads of people playing it and after a few plays, I scored 7th place without much effort, so - dont worry about it all being pros, everyone can join.

Tals - where are you?! Stop that WiC thing and come help me! ;-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »

I'm on it lets see if we can meet up smile

Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 04:17:16 AM »

I desperately want in on this but can't seem to make BF2 recognize my user name and password that haven't changed since I stopped playing a few years ago.  I mean, the game saves them.  I haven't had to input them again ever.

I tried changing the password and it brought up a gamespy interface but I still wasn't successful.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 06:49:55 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on March 23, 2009, 04:17:16 AM

I desperately want in on this but can't seem to make BF2 recognize my user name and password that haven't changed since I stopped playing a few years ago.  I mean, the game saves them.  I haven't had to input them again ever.

I tried changing the password and it brought up a gamespy interface but I still wasn't successful.

EA changed their Username policy a few years ago - try logging into your EA account and "Upgrade" it that way...that *may* be the issue.

They have the weirdest username thing going on, where you have "personas" attached to your account name, which is now your email adress.

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »

With Battlefield Heroes still down I though i'd try BF2 last night.

Why is the login process so slow - are there ports that need opening up etc. I spent 5 mins waiting for it to login and then promptly logged out and had an enjoyable couple of hours in World in Conflict.

Any solutions to speeding the login process up? I'd love to play the game but don't love the time it takes to get in.

Tals

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »

hmm, I have no issues logging in? Takes me one second

Loading times are pretty fast as well nowadays...and, I'm enjoying the game immensely :-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2009, 10:42:29 AM »

I found this

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11665

The login server delays are caused by server timeouts in your favourites list - for every red favourite you have in there, another approx 5 secs will be added to your login time. Stupid I know, but that is the way it's worked since the 1.3 release.

So, either log and and delete those red favourites, or do the manual route below:

1. Navigate to your My Documents folder and then Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001 inside that.
(Normally 0001, which I believe is the one at the top of the login list - YMMV)
2. Open General.con in notepad (NOT msword, wordpad or some other similar toy)
3. Delete all lines that begin GeneralSettings.addServerHistory and GeneralSettings.addFavouriteServer (you could be selective and keep ones that you know are still pingable).
4. Save, and try again.

You may also need to use this manual method to delete Undefined favourites and other similar ones that have become corrupt.

I'll try it out tonight

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »

That sorted the login issue out   icon_lol

Wow the game is awesome, you forget how good it is, just went in briefly but its great!

On a note though it seemed to be indicating an issue with punkbuster  eek

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: