http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:46:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2 - What do we know?  (Read 4890 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2005, 03:11:12 PM »

I have recently been looking at some screenshots of this one.

Am I right in assuming this is the "true" sequel to Battlefield 1942?  Or was Battlefield Vietnam the sequel?

Do we know a release date of this, or if there is a beta, or anything else?  It looks kind of cool to me.  I went to the homepage and looked up the different classes you can be.  

Is this game considered a Wargame MMO?  Does such a thing exist?

LD

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/home.jsp

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »

Current release window is June after being pushed back from last month I believe (or was it March...I forget).  Is it a true sequel?  Well, tough to say since it isn't based in WW2 anymore and more modern day.  I'd say Vietnam was the sequel, but that was poorly recepted.

I already have my money down on this game.  It comes with a free headset from Logitech too...woo!

The pushing back of the date should be no surprise by the way...DICE has the habit of putting a good 3-6 month buffer from original release window.

Oh yes, it also wins for possibly the worst box art EVAR!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »

Well it's a graphics and features upgrade, so that kinda qualifies as a sequel.    It's on the cover of CGW this month.  I didn't read the article in any depth yet, but it looks awesome.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »

Theres 2 movies here..though I was only able to make the first one run.

http://www.totalbf2.com/

edit..helps to ad the url.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 05:17:48 PM »

Well, we also know that there is a battlefield commander view.  What we don't know is if anyone will use it..or listen to their commander during play. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 07:26:25 PM »

KD - Is that the mode where the 20 year old college students try and explain to the 13 year old junior high students what "tactics" are, and then expect them to actually carry them out?

I wouldn't miss that for the world!  This could be the funniest game released in years!

IN!

LD  :?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 12:59:02 AM »

It would be awesome to get a CG clan or something and totally roll over a team of kiddies and b.netters who hurt more than help each other.  We could take no casualties as we smoothly mount a multi-pronged assault coordinated by our commander while the other team splits into one man teams arguing all the way "OMFG u stoopid n00b stop sucking and start pwning".  BOOM! One down...

Who reads these anyway?
Rahowa
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 01:35:46 AM »

This is a true sequel.

Battlefield Vietnam was more a graphics upgrade and new environment.  This is a totally different engine.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 01:51:48 AM »

plus this is made by the team that made the original battlefield 1942. BF:V was not. BF2 has been in development since BF:1942 was released.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 02:01:43 AM »

you guys need to download that 620 meg video that was posted a few posts up.  It explains a lot of the game and it's features.  I swear I can't wait to play as a medic and kill people with my defibulator.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 02:32:40 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
you guys need to download that 620 meg video that was posted a few posts up.  It explains a lot of the game and it's features.  I swear I can't wait to play as a medic and kill people with my defibulator.

Don't you mean "...and revive my fallen teammates." ???   Tongue

Actually, I just watched a video for the game.  It was pretty big and in DivX format.  The scenes with the jets was unreal.  (link above didn't work)

This is definately a pre-order for me now.  I can see this game taking up ALOT of my time if it plays as good as it looks.  And it looks pretty outstanding.   :shock:

Here is the website that I went to that had it : http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf2/

Oh.... and thanks to everyone for the feedback.  Appreciate it.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 03:48:53 AM »

I could see a CG group for this game.  I have a friend that I play BF1942 pretty regularily with that I could probably bring into the fold.  I have another friend, but he can't get over the whole "it's too close to home" type thing since it is modern combat.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 04:11:10 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

Don't you mean "...and revive my fallen teammates." ???   Tongue

LD

No, I mean kill my enemies with the defibulator.  watch the video, you'll see.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 12:32:24 AM »

Battlefield Vietnam wasn't developed by the people who made Battlefield 1942 so it coudn't really be a sequel.
I think BF 2 will be the true sequel. (Both of them developed by DICE Sweden.)

It looks great so far. I'm a little concerned about the bots/AI of the game as that's one thing the battlefield series has done a poor job on so far.

And what the hell is a defibulator?! Sounds cool though  :wink:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 02:11:33 AM »

it's a machine that brings people back to life.  It "jump starts" the heart.  You've seen them on tv, I'm sure
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 02:05:38 PM »

Read the article in the new CGW mag.

My new Most Wanted Game.... Hands Down!

LD   smile

LD

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 03:46:32 PM »

I'll be playing nothing but Commander mode or support roles.

There are incentives to listening to the commander, namely the kind of support a commander can bring to your squad.  For example, if you get pinned down, a commander is more likely to help you with artillery and his other support measures to clear your path.  I think you also get some kind of points for following orders, mainly used so that the commander can keep track of which squads he should keep an eye on.

Of course, they know their audience, so there's little or no penalty for not listening to the commander.  But in any game, a team that works together is more likely to win than a team that does not.  Squads that just wander off my find themselves hit with arty then a swarm of enemy.

Of course, I'm a bit turned off that it's EA, but I'll buy the game anyway.  I don't like the deal EA offered to its employees, but it's a start at least the employees are now sticking up for themselves.

By the way, for those that want to see the big 650mb video filecloud.com has it.  They're also in a stress testing phase for their new servers so until march 31st, practically everyone gets a free premium membership.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 04:54:39 PM »

Turtle... I will gladly be one of your soldiers.  

Special Forces for me please.

I can't wait.

LD  :wink:

LD

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 06:11:17 PM »

it's a machine that brings people back to life.  It "jump starts" the heart.  You've seen them on tv, I'm sure

*screeeeeEEEEEEEEE*

"CLEAR!"

*Ka-WHUMP!*
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »

You put me behind a sniper rifle or in an aircraft and I'll take care of the rest.  Just ask Tim, he's seen me fly the planes through the factory smokestacks in BF1942.  I gots me some mad flyin skillz.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 06:56:19 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
You put me behind a sniper rifle or in an aircraft and I'll take care of the rest.  Just ask Tim, he's seen me fly the planes through the factory smokestacks in BF1942.  I gots me some mad flyin skillz.

Woohoo...someone I need to challenge sometime on El-Al. smile  Flying rules (though I'm better with IL-2)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 07:04:29 PM »

After watching the 650mb video, it was interesting, but not really worth the huge download.

Turns out you can't revive everyone, if they've taken too much damage you just can't save them.  If they were just put out by an arm shot, you can zap them to bring them back.  Respawns are no longer in waves with everyone spawning at the same time.  Since there's the new squad spawn system waves really won't work as well anyway.  Instead your respawn time is based off variables like how much damage you took before dying or something like that.  But having a medic to revive you right there is useful.

The new squad system is pretty cool.  Your squad leader acts as a mobile spawn point for members of his squad, assuming he is alive and in a vehicle that isn't full.  You can also give orders as a squad leader in a similar way to Brothers in Arms or Full Spectrum Warrior.  Difference colored smoke cannisters appear where the orders are (visible only by squadmates), where each color is a different order.

Various effects like healing and repairing now happen automatically in a radius around the appropriate class, so long as he has the tool out.  THis also works when in vehicles at a much larger range.  So instead of risking your neck in a giant tank fight getting out to repair, you repair just by being there, although you aren't doing much else and it's probably a slower deal than if you were doing it manually.

There's no ammo boxes and few if no health boxes in maps.  So the new features of the medic and support class to drop health and ammo are needed.  The commander can also drop supply crates from the air, these crate will parachute down and can actually crush people that they fall on.  The announcer for the video had an enemy commander drop a supply crate on him while he was sniping once.

The commander can also use satellite scans to see enemies on the map, he can call in a UAV to recon the area, and this puts all spotted enemies on player maps too.  Finally there's the arty strikes.  Squad leaders can communicate directly with the commander to ask for various support.

Oh, one small but big change is that now all enemies appear with red icons/tags all friendlies are blue, and all squadmates are green.  This helps reduce confusion and any embarrassing FF moments when you've switched teams suddenly.

There's now a stamina meter, different classes different stamina and regen.  It handles bunny hopping and quick movement.

There's a lot more lock on weapons for use against vehicles, likewise there's more options for vehicles to evade, chaff, flares, etc...  Even the tank can pop smoke cannisters and retreat into a smoke cloud for a few seconds.

Maps are very interesting in that they conform to the player count.  Sections of the map will open or close depending on player count, so it funnels the players together.  No more jumping on a low count server and having to wait for it to fill up before having real fun.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 07:55:27 PM »

I read somewhere yesterday about a demo somewhat soon. I can`t remember where I read that though. I`d love to see a demo sooner than later for this one.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 07:56:23 PM »

You may have read about internal beta testing happening soon, I haven't heard anything about a demo as of yet...would be cool though.

programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »

rumor mill has it that on april 15th there will be a demo.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 03:25:57 PM »

For those who care...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-2/598743p1.html

Just a small developer thing.  I can't wait!

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 10:52:10 PM »

According to Planet Battlefield, Battlefield 2 has gone gold today.  I would expect a PR piece today or before Friday announcing such a fact.  June 21st can't come fast enough!

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 12:04:48 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I could see a CG group for this game.  I have a friend that I play BF1942 pretty regularily with that I could probably bring into the fold.  I have another friend, but he can't get over the whole "it's too close to home" type thing since it is modern combat.

I have a friend that is exactly the same way except for the Viet Nam era.  He actively seeks out WW2 games and does not mind modern games but can't handle the other.  It is very odd since he is no where near Viet Nam age and as far as I can tell didn't have relatives that served.  So we played the first Battlefield but he wouldn't go for the update.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »

This seriously has to play VERY different from BFV or BF1942 for me to touch it. I cannot express how dissapointed I was in the way those games played. IJust the nuts and bolts gameplay mechanics felt so wonky to me I never could get into them.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 03:43:24 AM »

Battlefield Singleplayer's interview says the bots will be able to play as Commanders, squad leaders, and normal players taking orders.  Should be interesting to see how the leadership AI works out since I was always looking forward to TeamFortress II (years ago) when they said the bots would play all classes, including Commander and team leaders. Looks like DICE beat them to it. (Hell I guess just about everyone beat teamfortress 2, except maybe DNF)
No COOP though, unfortunately.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 04:09:43 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
This seriously has to play VERY different from BFV or BF1942 for me to touch it. I cannot express how dissapointed I was in the way those games played. Just the nuts and bolts gameplay mechanics felt so wonky to me I never could get into them.

I'm going to say chances are it isn't going to be that much different outside of the fact that it is basically Desert Combat (a BF1942 mod) made into a new game.  DICE bought the developers of the Desert Combat mod to join up with the BF2 team.

I love BF1942...I've actually never played Vietnam.  My friend that plays with me (and will be getting BF2) has BFV and didn't like it very much, so I stayed away from it.  I got my headset for the game when I put my money down for the Xbox 360...it's ok, nothing spectacular.

Voice over IP is probably going to be one of the biggest additions to the title (along with the up-to-date graphics versus the middle ground BF1942 brought to the table).  Commander option sounds cool, but it also sounds like the commander is immediately chosen by the best player on the team, although you can vote them out and put a new commander in.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2005, 08:17:09 AM »

The main difference will probably be in the infantry game.  If you notice in the previews and videos, the whole infantry playing experience is a lot smoother.

This time around there's not of that weird sliding/bouncing movement that comes from shoehorning infantry into a vehicle based physics system.

Consider it more of an evolution of the series, something that BFV should have been.  Taking on a lot of the player feedback and other features, along with a modern setting.

There's also the teamwork options.  I know many people say they won't use them, and often dismiss the commander mode.  But they're overlooking the squad system that can allow a group of friends to more easily coordinate their actions.  There's also a lot more class interdependancy and things are simply geared more towards teamwork, without actually forcing it.

Yep, I got burned by BFV, it was fun, but after a while I saw its flaws.  Never played BF1942, but I will be buying this one.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 08:31:50 PM »

I'm really excited for this game.  Can anyone tell though if the headset that comes with the pre-order is USB or that other thing that is like two connectors.

Pig
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 08:56:41 PM »

Must preorder now... BTW, have the specs been announced yet? I`m assuming I`ll run it fine though.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2005, 09:08:29 PM »

Looks like we'll have a demo of this baby in under a week.....very cool!

http://www.eaplay.com/australia/community/messageboards/game/eagames/thread/4403/
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2005, 09:14:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bulletpig"
I'm really excited for this game.  Can anyone tell though if the headset that comes with the pre-order is USB or that other thing that is like two connectors.

I got mine...it is the two connector variety, not USB.  It is a behind the back type like the Xbox communicator although the mic is a lot shorter.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 03:24:37 AM »

Rage will definately try this demo.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 12:23:11 PM »

I have a question for some of you guys that may know...

Let's say 4 of us from CG were talking about this game in the Multiplayer Forum.  We decided to hook up for a Sunday game.  I am assuming we can obviously choose a server to meet on at a designated time.  Can we also play on a squad together that we manually set up?  Could we function independantly of the other (probable) jacktards on the server?  

Wouldn't that be great?  It would almost be like a co-op game within a bigger game.  If we use teamspeak (or whatever) - can we all communicate with each other and ignore the 12 year olds I RULZ - U SUXXORS!!!111!! - and just play as a small squad of friends, regardless of how many people are on the server?

This whole concept is pretty damn sweet if we can.  It's almost like forming a party in an MMO - except the universe isn't fantasy, it's world war III.

Please educate me on this.

LD

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 12:39:33 PM »

Let's say 4 of us from CG were talking about this game in the Multiplayer Forum.

You won't have that problem.  My server will be running at designated times. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 01:29:48 PM »

Lockdown...actually one of the big things with Battlefield 2 is it has Voice over IP right out of the box if you have a headset, so theoretically Teamspeak does not need to be used.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: