http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:04:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2 Demo  (Read 17615 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2005, 06:23:20 PM »

Extreme Tech states 6600GT is best bang for the buck in thier testing

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2005, 07:10:36 PM »

Sweet!  Some group is already working on a Battletech Mod for Battlefield 2.  Mech battles...me likey!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2005, 07:53:14 PM »

I`ve heard only great things about the 6600 cards. That is all;). I`m all about teamwork, if any of you guys want to play with me...umm, that sounded wrong. Well, you get the picture.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2005, 09:22:22 PM »

I have a 6600Gt and after tweaking the command line to display in 1280x1024, it looks great!

I have everything at medium, except Textures and Filtering at hight and shadows off.  Sound is also at high and it now runs smooth as butter.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2005, 12:49:30 AM »

Server is UP!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2005, 01:24:06 AM »

And it's being a little difficult. smile  But its fun. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2005, 02:35:52 AM »

Fun skirmishes tonight, hope we can get a bigger group going sometime.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2005, 03:52:11 AM »

Yea I had a good time.  Only problem was for some reason on Knight's server I can play fine awhile then it the connection goes to crap.

Had fun while I was there though.

Pig
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2005, 04:05:14 AM »

I'll keep working on it.  My system is in DIRE need of a format / reinstall but I can't do it until Wednesday at the least as I have to finish this semester first.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2005, 04:40:00 AM »

The way chat works is this:

You must be in a squad to get any of it at all.

The commander can hold 'v' and speak, and that will talk to all squad leaders.

The squad commander can hold 'v' and speak to the commander, and hold 'b' to talk to the rest of his squad.

A squad member can only hold 'b' to talk to his squad mates and squad commander.

It's an awesome solution, as there won't be spamming of general chat throughout the whole game. It also adds command and control, with the squad leader having to relay orders to his subordinates.

I've been in a few servers as commander, with 3 competent squads. We absolutely devestated the enemy team.

Another cool thing about the commander position is you can zoom in anywhere on the world and see the full 3D of what's going on. Many times I was able to communicate with squad leaders telling them where the enemies were hiding.

Yet another great feature of the commander is he can disband squads. This was extremely useful when I had a 5 man squad commanded by a SNIPER sitting on top of the crane... and under the crane was an enemy flag. I kept telling him to cap it, or get his squad to cap it, and he just ignored me. So I disbanded Bravo squad, and the other guys in his squad joined up into a new Bravo, and all was good again.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2005, 05:15:32 AM »

When the full version is out, I`m going to not sleep...well, I haven`t been sleeping `cuz of the demo...anyone else up REALLY late recently?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2005, 09:44:01 AM »

flyinJ - The "B" versus "V" thing is great to know.  Thanks.

I was in a semi-organized game last night, which was great (for awhile).  First thing I normally do when in game is create a squad.  I had 5 people in it at one point, and we did pretty good depending on whether or not the Commander was relaying orders to me.

Questions:

1)  I know there is a key to ask for more orders... but I don't know what it is... Anyone know?   It will come up saying, "We need new orders here."

2) If I talk to the Commander (using the V key) and he doesn't have headphones plugged in... will he hear me through his speakers, or not hear me at all?

3) If I have a Commander who is sleeping on the job and not giving me new orders - Can I somehow mark on the map (as Squadleader) where I want my team to go, or do I need to use voice and/or text chat?

4) Is there a way to know that an artillery strike is headed my way if the Commander doesn't clue me in?   I had thought it showed up on the mini-map, but I'm not so sure.

5) Is there a way to somehow take these medics (who keep team-killing me and then defibbing me back to life) out to a back alley and cutting off their arms?  Seriously though... when asked if you "forgive or don't forgive"... what is the difference, and how does the game handle it?

Thanks.  Still loving it.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2005, 12:43:41 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
1)  I know there is a key to ask for more orders... but I don't know what it is... Anyone know?   It will come up saying, "We need new orders here."

Hold down T
2) If I talk to the Commander (using the V key) and he doesn't have headphones plugged in... will he hear me through his speakers, or not hear me at all?

I believe the voice chat isn't seperated from regular audio, so it should come through his regular speakers, I could be wrong.
3) If I have a Commander who is sleeping on the job and not giving me new orders - Can I somehow mark on the map (as Squadleader) where I want my team to go, or do I need to use voice and/or text chat?

I think you can hold down the T key and issue orders for whatever point on the field your main crosshairs are looking at.
4) Is there a way to know that an artillery strike is headed my way if the Commander doesn't clue me in?   I had thought it showed up on the mini-map, but I'm not so sure.

Icon on the minimap appears, with a pulsing circle coming out of it, and you should hear a "Artillery coming to your position!" vox if you are in the boom boom zone.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2005, 01:28:16 PM »

Thanks Puggy!

V key = good

T key = good

Is all this stuff obvious and I am just clueless...?     (Don't answer that!)

Anyway, thanks!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2005, 01:57:24 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'll keep working on it.  My system is in DIRE need of a format / reinstall but I can't do it until Wednesday at the least as I have to finish this semester first.  smile

Knight please don't take my post as a complaint at all.  It could just be my connection to you for some reason.  I seem to be okay on most servers but here and there I will get connection problems.  Of course it doesn't help that my daughter is a WOW freak and I am always sharing my connection with her.

Pig
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2005, 02:06:42 PM »

Its cool, no worries.  I know there is something eating at the soul of my OS so its probably the cuprit.  Norton Ghost to the rescue!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2005, 02:07:37 PM »

Okay now for my lazy dumb question.

What keys allow you to make pre-rendered calls to your team?  What I mean is how do I call for medic, call for support, etc.?

I see them all the time but have yet to figure out how to do it myself.  It could have really saved my ass a few times  :lol:

Also I am really liking the special forces for playing.  To me it gives the perfect balance to handle almost anything.  I know the others are important but it is just the one that I seem to do best at.

Pig
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2005, 03:41:22 PM »

Hold Q and use the mouse to select the call you need.  Then left click. smile  Some of the options change if you are in a vehicle or an emplacment.  If you hit Q, then just left click, you select the "Spotted" command.  If you don't have an enemy in your sights, it will say "Enemy on the move".  If you have an enemy in your sights, it will say "Enemy Armor/Aircraft/Troops spotted" depending on what you are targetting. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2005, 04:20:51 PM »

Helpful link
Some of it is common gaming sense, but it has some good stuff on the last page of the article.

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2005, 05:29:54 PM »

I really don't like the new system of voice barks.

It's way too time consuming and imprecise. Plus, it takes over the entire game, you can't run shoot, duck, fight, anything while trying to say "roger that".

I want my damn function key barks back. I could belt out an "enemy tank spotted" in 1/4 of a second with 2 quick key presses.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2005, 06:44:48 PM »

I've made some tweaks to my system, I'll set up the dedicated again and see how she runs.  6:00pm PST, as always.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2005, 07:56:13 PM »

Thanks for posting that tweak guide.  I ran through the ultimate windows tweak guide and can now run BF2 at 1024x768 with eveything on high in singleplayer, and it looks gorgeous.  It's running right at the edge of things, but it is smooth enough.  My teammates look like they are wearing realy desert uniforms rather than textures.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2005, 01:11:10 AM »

Ahoy hoy!  6:07 PM PST and server still not up?  You still chasing gremlins out of the mainframe, Ron?   :twisted:

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2005, 01:16:21 AM »

Yep still no server.  What do you have a life or something?

Pig
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2005, 01:23:23 AM »

Worse than that.  Server is up now.  Sorry bout that. smile  Back to studying for my TCP / IP final...it was SO exciting, how could I stop?

:roll:  :roll:  retard

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2005, 03:53:33 AM »

I sooo love this game. I have a lot of things I like and a few problems, all of which I hope can be remedied.

Things I like:

The graphics are excellent. Really really good. The models are good, the weapon models are good, the terrain is cool, the explosions are good, etc. The game looks good. The game also sounds very good-great atmospheric twangy music, good sound effects (although I wish there was a little more differentiation in weapon sounds). The gameplay feels very good too-the hitboxes (or what I call hit detection) are much, MUCH better than 42 and Vietnam. I am talking 10x tighter and more accurate. The vehicles are all good, although I do not play with them but so much-still the tanks seem excellent, the APC is a very cool sort of backup vehicle, and of course the buggies and things are just fine. I have only flown the F-22 once, and it is cool but I don't know how to control it well enough to really comment-same on the choppers.

The gameplay seems very solid-the squad dynamic is very cool and works very well in practice, but I need to get my mic working so I can really get into this game. I think this game more than any I can really every remember just demands voice comm-I think it will make or break a good team and good squads-the action is too fast and furious, too sudden   to really make great use of the commands built into the game-they are intuitive but not exact enough to really get things done. So, anyways, so far I really like the game-it plays really well and looks great.

Things I don't like:

The main thing I don't like is the U.S. weapons. They are just totally bleh. The M-16 as modelled in the game is simply grossly inferior to the AK-74 variant and the newer, very deadly AK-101. The MP5 is a decent weapon for the engineer, but of course totally useless at range. Same with the shotgun-its very good up close, but man you have no way of doing anything except sprinting towards the gunfights. The US sniper rifle feels inferior to the SVD, and my biggest gripe (because I almost always play this class) is the special forces M-4. Its just awful. Its the only automatic rifle available, and its just awful. It is seriously no more powerful than a pea-shooter (and fairly inaccurate to boot) at range, and against several of the heavier classes it can take half or 2/3 of a clip at extremely close range to take an enemy down, and that is absurd for balance reasons. I understand that the special forces in real life have serious issues with the M4-the small rounds, shorter barrel, and ultra high velocity of the shots tend to make the bullets leave very small impact craters and go right through the body, which apparently also makes it much easier to survive. Nonetheless, the Spec Ops guy should be one who needs little time to take an enemy down at close range, because if he doesn't he is going to die-very very quickly-it almost seems they have no armor at all.

Now-I know each class is going to have alternate weapons unlockable, so hopefully that will fix some of my problems, but either way this is a day one purchase for me and its almost, almost brought me out of a month long gaming slump.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2005, 11:53:39 AM »

I was playing some more last night.  I look for servers with about 12-16 people on each side.  I am amazed at how some people can kill me so fast.  I alternate between the Spec Ops, Tank Killer, and Support guys, and body armor or not, some guys are killing me so insanely fast, it's unreal.  My question is... What do these people know that I don't?  On the occasion I take a sniper (when I really feel like frustrating myself), it has got to take me 5 shots to kill people.  However, when I get hit by a sniper, I'm down in 1 or 2 shots many, many times.  I don't get it.

Regarding planes and choppers:  They are so cool in this game.  I have seen people just tear up the battlefield when they really know how to fly these things (I personally do not).   Then there are tanks.  Man, some people can move that turret around and in one shot take you out so fast it's unbelievable.   The more I play the game, the more inferior I feel.  Some of these people are either cheating, or are insanely good at this game already.

LD

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »

More than likely they have just been playing FPS for a very very long time and that is all they play.  I know a guy who is insanely good like that.  He snipes people for one shot kills, simply because his aim is superior and he is getting true head shots, where as when I snipe it takes me 3 to 4 shots because I am not hitting as accurately.  I think it all comes down to practice.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »

I never made it back to the GG server but did land on a great one last night.  I was able to hook up with a small 3 man squad.  Then as we went one we were a full 6 man.  Everyone was using VOIP and I have to tell you it is like playing two different games.  Last night alone has me completely sold on the game.

In our squad we were barking out messages through the VOIP and we really were kicking butt.  At one point we had completely taken all flags and were lined up on the beach taking out the troop heli coming from the ship.  It was complete gaming goodness  :lol:

Being able to call out that you need help and then having our squad mate in a copter come back and say he is on his way was awesome!  He would come in and clear out anything big while we cleaned up the infantry.

As far as people getting quick kills I have noticed that if you are shooting for the body it will take some rounds to drop them.  What I picked up on last night though was going for head shots and even with a Spec Forces I was able to start taking out people quick.  I don't think it is cheating people are doing but just getting good at going for the weak points which is the head because of no armor.

I can't wait to play again tonight.  I just hope I can find another server with a great squad.  It makes all the difference.

Pig
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bulletpig"
As far as people getting quick kills I have noticed that if you are shooting for the body it will take some rounds to drop them.  What I picked up on last night though was going for head shots and even with a Spec Forces I was able to start taking out people quick.  I don't think it is cheating people are doing but just getting good at going for the weak points which is the head because of no armor.

Yeah, other multiplayer FPS games have similar damage models, where head shots are much more damaging. So, you will find a lot of experienced FPS players that basically always go strictly for head shots.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2005, 03:14:22 PM »

That's fine.  I don't mind that.  At least now I know.  I will try it myself.  Heck, how hard can it be to hit a guy from 150 meters who is bunny-hopping all over God's creation in the head anyway?   :wink:

Still loving the game though.

LD

LD

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »

I just want to be able to fly choppers with a keyboard and mouse.
Can't seem to pull it off.
Requesting arcade mode for choppers  :wink:

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2005, 04:38:30 PM »

You guys should know the following, ripped from a BF2 tweak site somewhere...uh...on the Internet.  (I've already forgotten).

I won't be unlocking all weapons as this would delist our server and we wouldn't be able to run the final game server with the same IP. smile

Disabling the Intro Movies

The introductory movies to BF2 are quite annoying, and generally increase startup times for the game. To disable them, you should not delete the movie files - this may cause problems with Punkbuster. Instead, simply rename the relevant files in your \Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\Movies\ directory to something else (e.g. rename dice.bik to dice.backup). The files to rename are: demo_b2legal.bik, demo_bf2release.bik, demo_demolegaltext.bik, demo_locknload.bik, dice.bik, EA.bik and Nvidia_logo.bik. This will mean the intro movies are all skipped as BF2 starts to load.

If for any reason you experience any problems with the above method, you can download and use the blank movie files from here: SkipIntroBF2.zip (2KB) instead. Backup your movie files first, then extract the contents of this .zip file into your \movies directory.

Removing the Time Limit

To remove the 12 minute time limit for each round, do the following. Note for server admins, apparently GameSpy and EA Games do not like this, and may delist your server if you do it.

Go to your \Battlefield 2 Standalone Demo Server\mods\bf2\python\game\gamemodes directory or your \Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\python\game\gamemodes (depending on whether you want to implement this on a server, or for your own singleplayer mode), and open the gpm_cq.py file with Notepad or Wordpad. Find the following line (if necessary do a search for this string):

host.sgl_endGame(winner, victoryType)

and replace it with the following:

# host.sgl_endGame(winner, victoryType)

return

This should mean that once the clock hits 00:00 you can still keep playing until all the tickets expire. Importantly, if you run a server note that EA Games have announced that servers which do this will be delisted for 1 week.

Unlocking All Weapons

Due to popular demand, I am including this tweak. To unlock all the weapons in the game, go to your \Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\python\bf2\stats directory (whether running a server or in singleplayer mode) and open the file unlocks.py with Notepad or Wordpad.

Find the line: defaultUnlocks = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

and change it to: defaultUnlocks = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1].

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2005, 07:08:02 PM »

I am so unlocking all the weapons for single player!  thanks ron!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2005, 05:53:30 PM »

Well..just purchased my preorder at Gamestop.  They told me that I would have it on the 21st, not the 22nd like the demo reports. smile  Can't wait for Tuesday.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2005, 06:31:31 PM »

I think that tonight I'll set up a teamspeak server and we can coordinate where everyone is going and meet up on somebody elses server until I can resolve the issues with mine. smile  In?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2005, 07:28:37 PM »

Since there aren't as many people reading the "blacklist" thread, I thought I would put the idea I had in here.

Currently, EA charges $4/seat for a private server and $8/seat for a public server for BF1942 (and all mods) as well as BF:V via rentals.  I was thinking if we could get enough people together to pay their seat price per month (via a Paypal link on the site that would go specifically for this venture) we could have our own private server.  I'd like to get at least 32 people, but I'm not sure if that is asking too much or not.  Let me know what you guys think.

This would solve the problem of bandwidth and all that for a measly $4/seat.  However we need a beginning number so we can set it up once EA makes it available.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2005, 08:06:18 PM »

The $4/$8 is per month I assume?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2005, 08:13:31 PM »

Correct.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2005, 08:27:33 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Since there aren't as many people reading the "blacklist" thread, I thought I would put the idea I had in here.

Currently, EA charges $4/seat for a private server and $8/seat for a public server for BF1942 (and all mods) as well as BF:V via rentals.  I was thinking if we could get enough people together to pay their seat price per month (via a Paypal link on the site that would go specifically for this venture) we could have our own private server.  I'd like to get at least 32 people, but I'm not sure if that is asking too much or not.  Let me know what you guys think.

This would solve the problem of bandwidth and all that for a measly $4/seat.  However we need a beginning number so we can set it up once EA makes it available.

The basic math..just for perspective:

Public server:
16 = 64 a month
32 = 128 a month
64 = 256 a month

Private Server:
16 = 128 a month
32 = 256 a month
64 = 512 a month

Now...I don't know if the seat numbers are flexible..that's just based off of the standard map sizes.  I'm going to assume that 32 is going to be our minimum.  The downside to this is that this is a monthly fee.  I'm not trying to party poop here, but to keep this going won't be a small thing...knowing how much Ron does for this site, I don't want him to be stuck with a bill on a server that people aren't helping out with.  

I would honestly like to see a private server myself.  I like the CG crowd, and I'd like to see the CG crowd playing and not having to fight J Random player for a slot in games.  (Please note...I've seen some of the OO guys on Ron's server..I am including them in the 'CG' crowd as well)  My bottom line is, if you'd like to pitch in on this, lets plan to pitch in several months at a time so that we can keep a server alive for awhile. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: