http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:29:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2 Demo  (Read 17532 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2005, 03:21:19 AM »

I'm out too, take care all had alot of fun.
DeltaTango out

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2005, 06:17:15 AM »

Finally got to sit down and play it and I enjoyed it.  I played a bit with the Console Gold server, but there were too many lag issues unfortunately.  I ended up going to some other servers, especially the Gamespot Gamecenter ones...they ran extremely well.

This game is going to be hot!  Just getting this excited over a piece of one map out of 12 is insane.  Chances are there will be more maps pretty quickly once people have the mod tools available.  They've fixed everything I thought was missing from BF1942 (you now have a speed burst, jumping is more realistic, more troop options, etc.) and it looks excellent (running 1600x1200 w/X800 XL and 6x AA, no problem).

If you want to hear more about my early impressions, check out my blog page: Virtual Viewpoints.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2005, 06:48:22 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Anyone discover a way to make the demo work in 1360x768? I need some widescreen goodness. =)

I'm using a 6800 Ultra on a 32" Widescreen LCD display.

Add:
+szx 1360 +szy 768

To the command line in your shortcut.

Mine looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +menu 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

So, despite the game not listing anything higher than 1280x960 in it's video options for me, I was still able to play it in 1280x1024, and it looked and ran astonishingly well, even with tons of stuff going on screen and AA turned on.

System is a 3ghz P4, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR400, and a 6800GT.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2005, 07:47:26 AM »

Guys I need some help. Yesterday the game played fine, no problems, no bugs, no nothing.

Today, I can't stay on a server longer than a minute or two before it disconnects me and says "punkbuster disconnected because of no packet flow or something" Having no internet problems, no packet flow problems that I can tell.

Can someone help, I really really want to play!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe they updated Punkbuster.  Save and run pbweb.exe in your "pb" directory under the Battlefield 2 Demo place on your hard drive.  That should update Punkbuster (it runs a command that checks for any new client and downloads it).

I had heard cheating was rampant already on the demo servers so it wouldn't surprise me if they updated it recently.  If servers are at the new level you will get kicked out.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2005, 05:53:06 PM »

Cheating and those few who ALWAYS get the best vehicles are the very reason I won't get this nor have gotten any online shooter.  Now, if it had an online coop single player I would be on this like flies on a turd.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2005, 07:18:37 PM »

Wow...this is great.  It's the best balance between '42 and DC that I have seen yet.  I always had a problem with DC in that it was too easy to get killed...and never know where it came from.  In BF2, If I get one shot'ted, then I know where it came from, or I have I chance to respond.  I'm loving it.  It's a shame I'm having to run at low detail, 800x600 on my Mobility 9700.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2005, 08:11:32 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I haven't tried it yet, but maybe they updated Punkbuster.  Save and run pbweb.exe in your "pb" directory under the Battlefield 2 Demo place on your hard drive.  That should update Punkbuster (it runs a command that checks for any new client and downloads it).

I had heard cheating was rampant already on the demo servers so it wouldn't surprise me if they updated it recently.  If servers are at the new level you will get kicked out.

Hey Foxy, apparently the problem is...I have NO punkbuster folder whatsoever!! I don't know what got corrupted but I am going to redownload and reinstalla nd see what we can figure out here. This is just crazy smile
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2005, 08:34:33 PM »

Is there some way to open up the entire map in single player?  It's a much smaller map for me with no access to the US Carrier.  I want to practice with the vehicles so I don't fly myself straight into the ground every time I play online.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2005, 08:40:33 PM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Is there some way to open up the entire map in single player?  It's a much smaller map for me with no access to the US Carrier.  I want to practice with the vehicles so I don't fly myself straight into the ground every time I play online.

I created my own multiplayer server, passworded it, and just played around with the vehicles that way.

The singleplayer won't let you choose the medium size map that includes the aircraft.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2005, 09:02:23 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Quote from: "RightBastard"

I created my own multiplayer server, passworded it, and just played around with the vehicles that way.

The singleplayer won't let you choose the medium size map that includes the aircraft.

I actually got around it by creating my own local server and setting it that way.  Fun to run around and fly the vehicles.  I suck at flying them though.  What's the word on the CG server?  I haven't been able to connect.  If I remember right, Ron said it was up all the time?  Am I doing something wrong?  Just using the default port settings and inputing the IP manually.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2005, 10:56:39 PM »

Ron said it was up all the time?

I wish, this is my home rig you guys were playing on.  I can't have the thing running all the time.  I'll set it up at designated times or at request. smile  If you guys have a night you want to play, you designate, I'll provide the hardware and bandwidth.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2005, 11:22:30 PM »

How about now, Ron? biggrin
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2005, 11:54:51 PM »

Lets plan for 6:00pm PST again tomorrow. I'll jump in then too. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2005, 01:53:28 AM »

Sweet.  Thanks for doing this Ron.  I'll definitely try and make time.  If any helicopters come crashing down on your head, it's probably me.

Flannery O'Connor
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2005, 03:30:28 AM »

Do a server filter for the word "unlocked" and you'll find some servers that have unlocked the secondary weapon choices!  In the kit selection screen, you can hit a little up/down arrow to choose your weapon.  Snipers get the Barrett .50cal, engineers get some automatic shotgun thingie, everyone else gets other assorted neat stuff I can't identify.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2005, 05:32:45 AM »

So far I`m really looking forward to the full version. I`m loving this demo so far. The infantry is SO MUCH BETTER than it was in previous bf games(I never play bfv, just the bf 1942 stuff, expansions etc.). My performance isn`t as great as I`d hoped, but I think that`s just the demo. It`s super smooth, most of the time. Just it seems to be hitting the HDD for stuff and there will be a pause here and there. I`m running a p4 3.0ghz, 6800 GT 256mb, 1gb ddr, audigy 2 etc. I`m using the drivers that came with the demo, and everything else is current and up to date on the machine. I can`t wait to play all 12 maps with everything. Great game so far, aside from what I mentioned.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2005, 07:14:06 AM »

I found out what my performance issue was. I set the sound quality back to medium(and still sounds great, that is how is was auto-detected anyways) and it`s all smoothness. GREAT GAME!!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2005, 12:16:56 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I found out what my performance issue was. I set the sound quality back to medium(and still sounds great, that is how is was auto-detected anyways) and it`s all smoothness. GREAT GAME!!!

Yeah, I noticed sound being very choppy with it being set to high or whatever.

Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2005, 01:59:38 PM »

Question I have about performance.  I know that I am not running a high power machine but not sure if upgrading just my video card will do the trick or am I just looking at system overhaul.

I am currently running:

WinXp Pro
AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+
ASUS A7N8X2.0 Motherboard
1 GB of Ram (sorry not sure type and speed)
SB LIVE! sound
Geforce FX 5600 128 mb

I am able to run the game fine but the settings on the video all have to be set to low and 800x600.  I tried pushing them to medium and while it looked better the game was unplayable.  Way to choppy.

What my question is though do you guys think it would be worth it to purchase a new video card to get me up to medium?  Or would I not see much difference and have to remain at low settings even if I do?

I just hate putting out the money if I cannot see the difference with my own eyes.

Pig
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2005, 02:17:47 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"

Yeah, I noticed sound being very choppy with it being set to high or whatever.

Same problems I had with the original.  Stupid sound...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2005, 02:32:05 PM »

Bulletpig...I think you will see a big difference via a GeForce 6600 (or higher) card or an ATI X800+ card w/256MB RAM.  256MB RAM is the recommended level for the specs, although I am sure a 128MB card would run fine as well (such as a 6600GT 128MB card).

I could try plugging in my old Radeon 9800 Pro (which is akin to your current card I think) and see what it looks like compared to the Radeon X800 XL, but I don't feel like going backward...heh.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2005, 02:52:59 PM »

I'm running an 9600 pro with everything set to medium with good framerate.  Its not as pretty I'm sure, but it is very playable.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2005, 03:13:45 PM »

Anyone else having problems remapping controls? I need to use my Logitech gamepad for planes and choppers but it doesnt seem to like it.

Same problem I had with BF 1.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »

Just for reference, I'm running an Athlon64 3000+ (1 gig of ram) with an ATI Radeon 9800pro (128mb), with some things medium, some things High, and at the native resolution of my LCD  (1280x1024), and there is no slowdown whatsoever.

I still think the 9800pro is a super card.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »

I got burned....my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro doesn't work with XP.  So I'm remappin jack. frown

I'm thinkin I need to pick up one of these: http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x52.htm

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2005, 04:28:28 PM »

I'll be on tonight, game runs real nice with the BFG 6800 GT.
Having trouble flying choppers though.
Anyone have any tips for a strictly keyboard and mouse player.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2005, 04:34:46 PM »

I think I remember reading that the controls aren't re-mappable in the demo or they don't stick.  I'd have to check out the Planet Battlefield forums at some point today...

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2005, 04:59:55 PM »

I started the download before I left for work today, hopefully it will be done when I get home...

I can't freaking wait!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2005, 05:03:03 PM »

Still haven't checked those forums, but I was reading in a review where you have to unbind controls and then re-bind them to new ones.  Whether that is true or not I do not know.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2005, 06:05:16 PM »

I played a bunch more over the weekend and have come to the conclusion the game is [going to be] great.  However, I can see it getting frustrating (for me) if I'm itchin' for some good multiplayer with lots of people, only to find "run&gunners" with no squad tactics at all.  That was mostly my experience over the weekend unfortunately.  But I still believe the potential is there for some great teamplay (6 of us on the same squad in a 64 player battle would be awesome).

So far I enjoy playing all the different classes (minus the engineer).  My favorites are still SpecOps and Support, but I always score highest as a Medic.  The support points just come flowing in as that class, especially if you learn how and when to defib. your teammates.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
especially if you learn how and when to defib. your teammates.

LD

When they are lying face down in a pool of their own blood?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2005, 06:09:13 PM »

Bulletpig...I think you will see a big difference via a GeForce 6600 (or higher) card or an ATI X800+ card w/256MB RAM.  256MB RAM is the recommended level for the specs, although I am sure a 128MB card would run fine as well (such as a 6600GT 128MB card).

I could try plugging in my old Radeon 9800 Pro (which is akin to your current card I think) and see what it looks like compared to the Radeon X800 XL, but I don't feel like going backward...heh.

AgtFox,

I don't blame ya LOL.  I looked on new egg and have a quick question:

Which would be better?

6600 with 256MB RAM
or
6600GT with 128MB RAM

Thanks!

Pig
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2005, 06:10:12 PM »

Hey Coop!  

No - what I meant was... I would often have medics defib me in the middle of a firefight with bad guys all around, only to immediately get killed again.  Not such a good time to do it.

LD   :wink:

LD

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Hey Coop!  

No - what I meant was... I would often have medics defib me in the middle of a firefight with bad guys all around, only to immediately get killed again.  Not such a good time to do it.

LD   :wink:

I wanted the points, I wasn't worried abuot your survivability. slywink At the very least you do come back prone so unless there is Arty comin in you should last a few seconds biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2005, 06:13:52 PM »

You can remap controls, just if there is a conflict with another action, you must first clear that action before you map the new one.  I can't imagine this will stay around for long though.  Not a very user friendly system.

One thing I noticed though, is that even after I remapped crouch to C, I still had to press L-CTRL to crouch in a tank gunner spot.  Think that might be a bug though.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2005, 06:15:50 PM »

This is a game that really *requires* voice comm to work together, warnings and directions generally come too late in a firefight when you have to type. I wish I could just plug in my xblive headset hehe

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2005, 06:17:50 PM »

Quote from: "Bulletpig"
Which would be better?

6600 with 256MB RAM
or
6600GT with 128MB RAM

Good question, one I'm trying to answer for my 2 co-workers who are interested in Battlefield 2.  So far from the quick looks I've done today at various hardware sites it looks like the 6600GT is the better card even though it has less memory.

The big differences are clock speed (GT is set higher) and memory (6600 has DDR, GT has GDDR3 memory on it).  Will 128MB of RAM create a bottleneck for something like BF2?  I doubt it simply because a lot of people will run the game at 1024x768 (which should run at high on the 6600GT) and won't feel the need to push it to 1600x1200 where you'd have to do middle/high fixing.

I'm going to do more looking, but you might have to wait until tonight.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2005, 06:17:58 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
One thing I noticed though, is that even after I remapped crouch to C, I still had to press L-CTRL to crouch in a tank gunner spot. Think that might be a bug though.

Aren't their separate control sets for vehicles vs infantry? You might need to change that control elsewhere...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2005, 06:19:57 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
You can remap controls, just if there is a conflict with another action, you must first clear that action before you map the new one.  I can't imagine this will stay around for long though.  Not a very user friendly system.

One thing I noticed though, is that even after I remapped crouch to C, I still had to press L-CTRL to crouch in a tank gunner spot.  Think that might be a bug though.

Final game may be different...anyone got Voice over IP working?  I haven't heard it yet and no one is acknowledging my voice even in text.

Communication will be important.  The base need is for people to join squads so you can actually hear people or become a squad leader where you hear both the squad and the commander.  The line of command idea is very nice although I don't like that squad leaders cannot talk to other squad leaders.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: