http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 2 Demo  (Read 17620 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:15:32 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/promos/bf2demo.html

From Gamespot:
Although Battlefield 2 won't invade stores until June 21, PC gamers will get a chance to test-fire a demo of Electronic Arts' shooter sooner. EA confirmed today that it is planning to release a sample of Digital Illusions CE's forthcoming modern-combat shooter "very soon." When the Battlefield 2 demo is released, it will make its world premiere on GameSpot, and will be initially available not only to GameSpot registered users but also to unregistered visitors as well.

Tomorrow!  I'll be setting up a server as soon as I have the client.  Who is in with me?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:29:06 PM »

I'll be there...on Saturday at some point.  I won't be anywhere near my computer to even download it on Friday, but I plan to spend much of Saturday playing biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:32:27 PM »

I will be there with you.  (as soon as I get the d/l)

That is a stone-cold-lead-pipe-lock of a statement.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:37:26 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Tomorrow!  I'll be setting up a server as soon as I have the client.  Who is in with me?
 Point me at a download and let me know.  Your faithful engineer will be there.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »

I'll be there as well.

Oh, and I call commander, medic, or engineer.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 08:19:30 PM »

Give me a gun and some grenades, and I'll shoot stuff for you.  I'm also pretty good with an AA gun, but I think there won't be any of those.

Unless there's an A-10.  If there's an A-10, I may turn into a planetard.

Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 09:45:08 PM »

I'll try it out, if I remember.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 10:00:50 PM »

Count me in!  The wife has a doctor procedure in the morning tomorrow so I am off all day.  Will d/l as soon as it comes out if possible.

Again I don't care what I am I just want to kill something.  :twisted:

Pig
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 10:05:08 PM »

2 guesses whose connection will decide to not work tomorrow. Mine. Just so I cant try the demo. Of course it will work in the morning before I go to work, but will die as soon as I enter my home.

Its toying with me.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 11:43:55 PM »

Ill get it once the free sites have it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 12:22:55 AM »

Actually, gamespot has said that registered members, non-paying, can download the demo too.

However, it's most likely that the non paying servers will be overloaded.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 01:36:10 AM »

As soon as I can get it I will be ready for a game.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 03:23:35 AM »

I guess that this will be requiring a vid card of greater than a GeForce 4. I wonder how many people will be complaining when it doesn't work.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 05:11:21 AM »

A good video card would be advisable, but according to the minumum specs a Geforce 3 64mb is the minumum.

Can't remember ever wanting a demo this much in my entire gaming history. After hearing about the improvements in the bots, how the bots can play as squad leaders and take on commander roles is making me really want to check out their singleplayer portion.
Wish I still had that old site, botepidemic.com from years ago.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 11:35:26 AM »

It's Friday morning, I'm at my desk at work, it's barely 7:30am, and I'm already thinking about this game.

Do you think I will be able to begin downloading when I get home from work, or will I most likely need to wait until Saturday?

I highly recommend the Medic just plan on chaining himself to me the entire battle.  God knows Ron won't need you.  He'll be perched up on a hill somewhere, 6 billion miles away from the front-line, in some grassy brush with his tricked out sniper rifle.  Turtle will be trying to figure out the command interface, telling us to "go here!" and "go there!"... so he won't need you.  Pig "ain't got time to bleed!".  Meahwhile, I will be sneaking around as a special ops guy, trying to be all stealthy, and get capped in the ass by some 10 year old.   MEDIC !!!!!!

It's going to be ugly out there!

Can't wait!   (I just read I can stick C4 on players!  Oh sweet Jesus!)

LD  Tongue

---------------------------------

Edit to Add:   Found this for those interested:

Currently there are 7 classes planned and a Commander mode:

Sniper
They can act as forward observers for the commander and can do considerable damage to the infantry. The sniper has a ghillie suit that can camouflage him well against his surroundings. The US scope resembles the one in counter strike, and the Russian scope resembles to the one in DC only with better resolution. Armed with knife, pistol, rifle with scope, binoculars and smoke grenades.

Special Ops
Special Ops are suited extremely well for taking and defending of flags and buildings. Special Forces are no storm troops and should not go head on against the heavily defended positions. They are good for close combat but not very effective at long range. Special Forces are armed with knife, pistol, assault rifle, C4, and binoculars. The C4 can get stuck on: buildings, vehicles and players.

Assault
Main attack unit that has body armour meaning he takes less damage than others but is not as quick as others (without armour). Armed with knife, pistol and assault weapon with grenade launcher (that can cause damage to tanks and very effective against infantry). Very strong unit but needs to work in cooperation with others to maintain its efficiency (ammo, health etc)

Support
Armed with a machinegun as the main weapon and has good body armour. Can also give ammo to teammates. When in a vehicle, the vehicle becomes the supply vehicle and people around a certain radius will be get ammo.

Engineer
Can repair vehicles and buildings. Armed with a shotgun (not made to conduct an assault). When in a vehicle, the vehicle becomes a repair vehicle and other units around a certain radius will be repaired.

Medic
Light and agile and can distribute health packs and revive dead teammates with defibrillator (within 10 seconds: he can see the countdown on his HUD). Defibrillator becomes a one-shot kill weapon when used on the enemy. They are quick but not meant to hold or assault flags. The Medic is equipped with defibrillator, pistol, assault rifle, and Med Pack. When in a vehicle, everyone around a medic gets health automatically.

Anti-Tank
Armed with knife, pistol and sub machine gun. Has a rocket launcher and mines but in short supply so he has to be close to a support unit. Some skill is needed to aim and guide the rocket which have a rather far reach and are quite quick. Rockets are effective against infantry and armored vehicles.

Commander Mode
Each side can choose a single "commander" player, based on profile ranking. Commanders must "apply" for the position in-game, and, when elected, these players do actively participate in the battle, and can be killed, however the commander has a base where he can avoid being killed.Commanders have four primary abilities: satellite scan, artillery strikes, Predator UAV recon, and supply drops.

Satellite scans are complete passes of the game map that last for only a few seconds, but provide a snapshot that reveals the positions of all the players on the map (including enemy soldiers) to the commander only - so the commander must use text and voice chat to alert his or her teammates to the last-known enemy position. Artillery strikes are extremely powerful support attacks that take several seconds to execute (and allow commanders just enough time to scream at their teammates to get out of the blast radius). The Predator UAV is a drone flyer that does not appear in the gameworld (and therefore can't be shot down), but can scout out a specific area of the map and reveal that area's contents to commanders and their teammates. Finally, supply drops replace the static supply boxes from the original game - they're boxes of ammo and health that can be dropped by parachute onto specific sections of the map to support teammates who are pinned down.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 12:07:39 PM »

God....I can't wait to play this.  Was hoping to start the download before I left for work but it wasn't there... :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 12:32:05 PM »

Able to stick C4 on a player?  LOL I can't wait to see that!

Still nothing yet to download though.  Have to leave soon to take wife to doctor  frown

Hopefully will be ready when I get home  :twisted:

Pig
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »

IN!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 12:57:53 PM »

There used to be a game where you could stick explosives on a npc and they'd freak out and start flailing thier arms running around screeming till you blew them up. I think it was Red Faction if Im not mistaken.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 12:58:07 PM »

How many people (max) on a single squad?  Anyone know?

Can the Commander communicate (voice/text) with anyone on the battlefield... or just Squad Leaders?

Can Squad Leaders communicate to other Squad Leaders?  Say Squad Alpha and Squad Bravo?  Or is everything coordinated through the Commander?

The Medic can one-shot kill people with his defib.  No wonder Ken was so excited about being a Medic!

Thanks.

LD

LD

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »

Hmm...medics can move fast and can one-shot folks?  They're about to turn into the BF2 assassin class.  I suspect the rules of engagement preventing firing on medics are about to be ignored.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »

I'm in, got pretty much the whole day Saturday to play.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 04:05:55 PM »

Hey... maybe we can even right up some after action reports for Hrothgar's Talk Strategy site!

Would you want that type of stuff Hrothgar?

Heck... Turtle could even write it as the game is going on from his easy chair.  I can see it now, we're toiling away down there, capturing control points, scrambling for medkits, repairing downed choppers, stealthing from building to building, dodging incoming grenades, avoiding F-15 straffing runs, defibbing each other back from the grave...  All the while, our Commander is popping open another Samual Adams, opening another bag of chips, flipping through the local paper, and occasionally dropping a supply crate here and there.   Tongue  

"Turtle!  What's going on up there?"

"Hold on.... I'm doing another radar scan right now.  *chomp* *chomp* *swig*"   I'll be with ya in a sec.  You guys are doing great!"

LD

LD

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 04:26:09 PM »

I'm also in!  Can't wait.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Hey... maybe we can even right up some after action reports for Hrothgar's Talk Strategy site!

Would you want that type of stuff Hrothgar?

Heck... Turtle could even write it as the game is going on from his easy chair.  I can see it now, we're toiling away down there, capturing control points, scrambling for medkits, repairing downed choppers, stealthing from building to building, dodging incoming grenades, avoiding F-15 straffing runs, defibbing each other back from the grave...  All the while, our Commander is popping open another Samual Adams, opening another bag of chips, flipping through the local paper, and occasionally dropping a supply crate here and there.   Tongue  

LD

Of course I'd love some good reports.  If there's enough interest, I can even set up a team forum area and host screenshots.

I'll leave hosting the demo to the big boys like KD.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 04:40:38 PM »

I'll be in.  I'll suck.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 04:40:44 PM »

If I can get the download done today I will definitely be playing this today.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 04:51:31 PM »

Next you guys will want me to fetch your slippers for you too.  Tongue

Keep it up and the next crate will just happen to drop directly on top of you.  slywink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »

Come OOOOON mofoers, release the demo!!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 05:38:04 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

No kidding.  I think I've refreshed the dlx page about thirty times this morning hoping it will be updated.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 05:53:42 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

I agree.  I am off work today and was hoping to be knee deep in sand, blood, and victory by now!

Pig
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 06:02:52 PM »

Blargh alright I guess I will study for a while we wait.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2005, 06:32:46 PM »

Umm, Rage, it is Friday. Come on man, let's go get our drink on.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2005, 06:40:45 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Umm, Rage, it is Friday. Come on man, let's go get our drink on.
I'm going to later, but can't right now frown I have to do all 77 con law problems in my review and then start on some contracts.

This bar shit is a lot of work apparently.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2005, 07:22:06 PM »

Well, I'd rather you get your work done so you have that monkey off your back.

How much longer, Rage? Getting closer?

Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2005, 08:00:34 PM »

DEMO IS LIVE DEMO IS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I AM DOWNLOADING NOW HOLY SHIT!

Pig
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »

Same here.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 08:10:52 PM »

Damn I can't wait!  Hey everyone I have yet to pick up a USB headset and mic.  Can you guys comment after playing the demo on how well it works?

I think I am going to pick up the PS2 headset but would prefer not to spend the money if the VOIP isn't worth crap.

Pig
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2005, 08:13:08 PM »

Front page has all three links.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2005, 08:14:12 PM »

WHHEEEE its out! I read on another site that it was delayed till saturday so I sort of forgot about it!! Now, unfortunately, the damn servers are all full-I will try to dl it when I can.

Sparhawk, I did about an hour of problems-I need to do another hour or so then I can take break for a bit-then a couple more hours and I can goof off all evening.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: