http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 04:46:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you going to be getting Battle for Middle Earth?  (Voting closed: November 27, 2004, 01:37:10 AM)
Hell Yes! - 11 (27.5%)
No way... - 11 (27.5%)
I'll wait for reviews... - 18 (45%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle For Middle Earth - Just 3 days to go!  (Read 2782 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2004, 01:37:10 AM »

I can't wait for this one. I have the DVD version on preorder.

Here is a nice player written preview of the game from a recent gaming event where they had this game on display...

http://www.rpgplanet.com/memw/temp/b4me/articles/BRanger/page1.shtml

Helms Deep:
As the game came to a start I was faced with about 25 minutes to prepare for the battle of Helms Deep. Yes you read right. Twenty-Five minutes to prepare. I soon found myself building elves and Riders of Rohan constantly. Took Legolas, Gimli, and Eowyn To the wall and left Boromir, Theoden, and Aragorn to be left at the main gate of Helms Deep. Soon afterward a host from the event told me that there was a saved version of Helms Deep that was left at 1 minutes remaining before the battle started. So I soon pulled that up. I was than left face to face with a very decent army that someone had built for me. As soon as the time expired I was faced with a small cinematic from the real movie. This showed Isengard preparing to enter battle at Helms Deep. Soon afterward I heard it. The very horn of uruk hai and the footsteps they created. The sounds of armor rushing towards the fortress kept me preoccupied on the building of units. As soon as I was done there it was. The army of Isengard was at my doorstep. Ladders upon ladders were being brought forth by two uruk hai running with them and one uruk hai on top ready to jump out onto the wall as soon as it landed. Behind them were hordes of uruk hai and packs of warg riders and than the pikeman. This is where it became confused what to do because of the clashing of shields and armor and the banging of swords. Elves did the trick at taking out the running uruk hai coming towards Helms Deep and the heroes and riders did a great job at taking out the ladders when they were placed on the wall. Sadly though Eowyn died but seeing that I could revive her was a relief. I made her into her disguise mode on a horse but she was torn down by a group of pikeman. Than soon afterward they took the deeping wall destroying all my stables and elven barracks in the back. Though I still had most of my heroes I needed to return to the main keep up the side steps. I put most of my archers atop the wall over looking the main gate and my riders at the side steps and behind the gate. Soon afterwards they broke my defense. The gates of Helms Deep were breached and the riders died. This is where I needed a miracle and so it happened. Riders of the mark showed up led by Eomer and Gandalf. They rode down and swept through the on coming uruk hai headed for the wall. As soon as they got in front of Helms Deep the inner wall was taken and I was left with my heroes at the main hall. There they fought bravely. By the time the riders showed up in Helms Deep Gimli, Boromir, and Legolas had fallen in battle. I was able to revive them but it took longer than expected. Well I finally took my last stand and knew there was no mercy in the uruk hai that kept rushing up. I took my last stand and rode to death. The Riders flew down and scaled the walls where any uruk in the way was crushed beneath the hooves of the horses, which made a spectacular display. Soon though the remaining uruk hai swept through to the main hall and destroyed it to the final outcome of “Defeated.” After being defeated Isengard than controlled that area. Though I would make sure to someday take it back for myself.

*drool*

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 01:50:41 AM »

Great read there! Really looking forward to this title!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 03:02:46 AM »

"I'll wait for reviews"

'cept they'll be GG'ers, err, i mean.....CG'ers and OO'ers reviews.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 09:53:06 PM »

I bought this when it was on sale at Amazon for $15.  So I guess for that price, I'll check it out.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 09:57:39 PM »

If it gets a few good reviews I am in for sure.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 03:02:34 AM »

Maybe I'm being petty, but I really have a hard time wanting this because it's an EA game.  Otherwise, I'd be all over it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 01:24:49 PM »

It's GOLD!!

biggrin

http://www.rpgplanet.com/memw/

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 02:39:16 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
I bought this when it was on sale at Amazon for $15.  So I guess for that price, I'll check it out.

They're actually honoring your order?  I placed an order when it was $15, but I received an email the next day saying it was a pricing error and that my order would be cancelled.
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 03:53:32 PM »

I nabbed it for $15 at Amazon too quite a while back, and they haven't canceled it or anything.

Can't wait, the game looks freakin' great.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 08:52:10 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

$15??!!?? I've got it on order at Amazon for $19.99 (placed my order in May) - a good deal seeing that they are currently taking preorders for $49.99.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 03:07:30 PM »

Normally This would be a must buy for me, but after buying HL2, Vampire and EQ 2, I won't be buying any more games this year.
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 12:47:19 PM »

Count me as another who got in on the Amazon deal over the summer. Considering what I paid if this game is only average I won't be that upset.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 04:25:25 PM »

My understanding is that ALL the Amazon orders were cancelled. Even if you didn't receveive a cancellation email...
Just find the email with the order verification, click the link to the ordwer number, login to Amazon and viola order was already canceled....
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 06:04:14 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Normally This would be a must buy for me, but after buying HL2, Vampire and EQ 2, I won't be buying any more games this year.

Ditto for me but add DOW and Rise of Nations.  I have put away all games but EQ2 and Bloodlines.  As soon as I finish Bloodlines maybe I will finish HL2 and then hit RoN a bit all the while playing EQ2 with some RL friends(I must resist WoW).  I have sucked most of the marrow from DoW already.
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 07:01:24 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
My understanding is that ALL the Amazon orders were cancelled. Even if you didn't receveive a cancellation email...
Just find the email with the order verification, click the link to the ordwer number, login to Amazon and viola order was already canceled....

I just checked my order status and it still shows "As not yet shipped". In fact I just got an email from Amazon a few weeks ago about the release date on this order. They said it had been bumped back and told me that if that was a problem I could cancel the order. Very considerate of them but I didn't take them up on their offer. smile
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 10:52:03 AM »

Had a chance to play some of this... enjoyed it a fair amount.  The tech tree/upgrade paths/unit hierarchies aren't too deep, but the presentation is top notch and there's fun to be had with the global magic powers and some badass hero units (Nazgul, Gandalf, that sort of thing).

I don't know how the strategy plays out for the hardcore, how much overall depth there is.  But it feels like a very solid package to me.

Mordor is a good "Zerg" civilization with free cheapo orcs that are just begging to be sent en masse in an early rush.  Gondor and Rohan have very strong defense & are good for turtling.  Isengard's siege engines seemed pretty weak and I wasn't impressed with Saruman as a hero unit.  But then I didn't have much time to get a feel for them all.

Balrog is pretty much worth the price of admission.  :wink:
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 01:35:11 PM »

Does anyone know how many "sides" there are, and what they are?

Example:  Gondor, Mordor, Rohan, Isengard, etc. etc...

Or is it like Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, etc....  ?

Oh, and who gets the Ents ?   :wink:

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 03:07:39 PM »

4 sides, two good, two evil.  Rohan, Gondor, Mordor, and Isengard.  At least that's all that was available in skirmish.

I think Treebeard is a hero unit, may be the only Ent.  Not sure though.  I assume Rohan gets him but he might be one of those heroes that are only available in the SP campaign.  Like Frodo and a few others.

Some heroes like Gollum, Witch King, Gandalf and Saruman are available in skirmish mode.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 02:25:43 AM »

For those of you waiting for reviews, Gamespy and IGN will have reviews of the game up tomorrow...

Here is what the reviewer for Gamespy had to say about the game today:

"The One Ring: I've been playing the gold version of Battle for Middle-earth and it is pretty impressive. I'm not going to give anything away from my review, but let's just say that the epic feel of the movies really comes through in the game. I'll be playing this for a while. -- Warrior "

Sounds good so far... smile

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 09:36:56 PM »

Found a review here

Warning!  This review is not for the faint of heart.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 09:40:25 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Found a review here

Warning!  This review is not for the faint of heart.

Yes, that is the PC Gamer UK review. They gave it a 73% and reviewed beta copy of the game.

Check out all of the other reviews from Europe and you will see that the PC Gamer review sticks out like a sore thumb...

http://www.rpgplanet.com/memw/temp/b4me/reviewscores.shtml

Average: 88%

Magazine Country Score

Level  Czech Republic 94%
Score  Czech Republic 91%
Pelit  Finland 84%
PC Gamer Sweden  Sweden 88%
Krawall  Germany 85%
GameSurf  Germany 81%
Joystick  France 70%
PC Jeux  France 95%
Total Jeux PC  France 95%
PC Gameplay  Belgium-Dutch 91%
PC Gamer  United Kingdom 73%
Gamers.at  Austria 91%
Canard PC  France 80%
PC Games  Germany 93%
PC Action  Germany 91%
PC Powerplay  Germany 91%
Gamestar  Germany 86%
PTgamers  Portugal 95%
HDR-Inside  Germany 92%
PCzone  United Kingdom 91%

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 09:58:05 PM »

Well, that's somewhat reassuring.  For me, this game is a "wait and see" purchase, but I should've known you'd do your homework before going all fanboy on me, Hetz slywink
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 03:50:20 AM »

I too just checked my order at Amazon and it is still good and showing "not shipped yet".  I believe it to still be good, or why wouldn't it show to be cancelled.  Price: $19.99.

I bet they cancelled the $15.99 ones, but not the $19.99 ones.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 04:16:08 AM »

I'm gonna need a demo to wow me to bother picking this up. My gaming plate is far too full right now as it is.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 06:47:38 AM »

Gamespy has posted their 4/5 star review.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
"I'll wait for reviews"

'cept they'll be GG'ers, err, i mean.....CG'ers and OO'ers reviews.

Ditto for me.  My interest is piqued however. smile
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2004, 10:55:54 PM »

Most of the screen shots in magazines show the battles from a ground level viewpoint, making it seem like the battles from the movies.  Yet all of the gameplay footage I've seen online have been from a bird's eye perspective.  Is there still a "trooper" view in the game, and if so, is it playable from that angle?  With the new extended version dvd coming out, I just know my lack of will power will kick my ass and force me to get this game. :oops:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 12:24:07 AM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Most of the screen shots in magazines show the battles from a ground level viewpoint, making it seem like the battles from the movies.  Yet all of the gameplay footage I've seen online have been from a bird's eye perspective.  Is there still a "trooper" view in the game, and if so, is it playable from that angle?  With the new extended version dvd coming out, I just know my lack of will power will kick my ass and force me to get this game. :oops:

I am pretty sure that you can rotate and zoom in the camera to whatever angle you want when you play the game.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 01:57:11 AM »

I just want to see the magical words in an email from Amazon, "your order has shipped".  As long as I know it is coming, I don't care when it gets here.  I too have more games than I can finish in the next 4 months right now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: