http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 09:43:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman:Arkham City  (Read 29152 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: May 31, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 31, 2012, 02:08:47 PM

without spoiling anything,how have people found the add on?

With the GOTY out in September here i may just buy a used copy and buy the DLC

I enjoyed the DLC, but it's pretty short.  Maybe 4 hours, though I've seen comments and reviews saying 2.  Who are these people that rush through games like that and then complain?  I don't get why you wouldn't take your time and enjoy it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 31, 2012, 04:27:42 PM

I enjoyed the DLC, but it's pretty short.  Maybe 4 hours, though I've seen comments and reviews saying 2.  Who are these people that rush through games like that and then complain?  I don't get why you wouldn't take your time and enjoy it.

I liked it, but I would suggest getting in some play time before hand.  Some of my Batman skills eroded.  Damn tasers...   at least I got an achievement for being shocked so many times icon_lol

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 31, 2012, 04:48:16 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 31, 2012, 04:27:42 PM

I liked it, but I would suggest getting in some play time before hand.  Some of my Batman skills eroded.  Damn tasers...   at least I got an achievement for being shocked so many times icon_lol

I had the same issue.  I had one fight that I must have replayed half a dozen times.  That may have added to my playtime.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 05, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »

OK, the Armored Edition looks to be pretty cool.  I may have to triple dip on this one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 24, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »

I am starting over with this again since I just watched all 3 Batman movies.  I did finish it when it first came out (story, not 100% completion).  Oddly I am enjoying it more this time than when I played it the first time.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 24, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 24, 2012, 03:16:14 PM

I am starting over with this again since I just watched all 3 Batman movies.  I did finish it when it first came out (story, not 100% completion).  Oddly I am enjoying it more this time than when I played it the first time.

My only difference is that I did not finish the game prior to restarting (only got to about 3%), but also being reinspired by the release of The Dark Knight Rises and having watched both prior films, yesterday I restarted the game and am also enjoying it more than my first time around.

The fighting mechanics are pretty darn close to recreating the action sequences in the films, the villians are truly menacing, twisted, and formidable, and while the city feels a bit large at times (and sometimes without direction), it isn't too much for the goddamn Batman.   thumbsup

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 24, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 24, 2012, 04:53:01 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 24, 2012, 03:16:14 PM

My only difference is that I did not finish the game prior to restarting (only got to about 3%), but also being reinspired by the release of The Dark Knight Rises and having watched both prior films, yesterday I restarted the game and am also enjoying it more than my first time around.

The fighting mechanics are pretty darn close to recreating the action sequences in the films, the villians are truly menacing, twisted, and formidable, and while the city feels a bit large at times (and sometimes without direction), it isn't too much for the goddamn Batman.   thumbsup

I think my biggest gripe is that they put you into the city too early with all this stuff to do.  I think a more focused intro for 20 mins would have done wonders before dropping you into the big city.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 24, 2012, 05:12:15 PM

I think my biggest gripe is that they put you into the city too early with all this stuff to do.  I think a more focused intro for 20 mins would have done wonders before dropping you into the big city.

Agreed.  I've equated it to a superhero Disney World, in that it's like a parent dropping their child off at the Magic Kingdom's gates and saying, "Have fun," before driving away.  Only instead of endless candy shops and churro vendors we have an endless supply of baddies to beat the piss out of. 

Perhaps the developers in part assume that we've played the prior entry and are at least somewhat familiar with the controls, but I'm not only having a little trouble in re-learning the controls but also in figuring out where the hell I'm supposed to go.  The game provides little direction as to where to proceed, but it also has a habit of throwing too much at you at a time, especially when you're in the middle of something.  When I finally found my way to a particular villian's lair, a phone starts ringing.  Of course I'm drawn to it, and then after starting that mission I'm distracted by political prisoners in need of aid, Wayne Enterprises augmented reality training, and forgetting how much of a struggle it was to find the location I had just left only to have to find it all over again. 

Those gripes aside, I have yet to get tired of dropping in the middle of a bunch of convicts and proceeding to beat the hell out of all of them while they scream, "It's the Batman!"  I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least occasionally say, "That's the goddamn Batman to you."   ninja2

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 24, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »

LOL,i have been playing this since last Friday when i saw the movie as well

When there are a large group surrounding me,it reminds me of the scene at the docks in Batman Begins(which was Batman's first Fight scene IIRC)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »

The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the overwhelming number of Riddler puzzles/trophies.  I found each and every last one in Arkham Asylum, but with over 400+ riddles to solve in Arkham City I've already abandoned the dedicated search.  I'll grab them when possible, but I don't think it's likely that I'll make a focused effort on finding the rest.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 24, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 24, 2012, 06:45:41 PM

The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the overwhelming number of Riddler puzzles/trophies.  I found each and every last one in Arkham Asylum, but with over 400+ riddles to solve in Arkham City I've already abandoned the dedicated search.  I'll grab them when possible, but I don't think it's likely that I'll make a focused effort on finding the rest.

That's how I was when I played through the first time.  I only ended up getting maybe half.

Also I guffaw every time I read your "god damned batman" stuff.   icon_lol
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 24, 2012, 06:47:34 PM

Also I guffaw every time I read your "god damned batman" stuff.   icon_lol

I even find myself saying it out loud in the Batman growl.  Although it hurts a little when I do it.  The hard part is not choking as it can undermine authenticity.

But would a little throat discomfort stop the goddamn Batman?  Fuck no.

Last night when my wife got back from her business trip she asked what I was up to.  At the time I was in the middle of playing Arkham City, so I growled to her, "I'm the goddamn Batman."  For the very first time I believe I finally found a way to render my wife completely speechless.  She stood dumbfounded for what seemed like an eternity, and then she just went upstairs. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 25, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »

Well, something obviously finally clicked with this game as last night, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I completely lost track of time while playing until I glanced at the clock and learned it was 2am.   icon_eek  As I am not one for late nights, usually turning in by 11pm at the latest, this is certainly testament to the game's quality. 

I didn't have time to sleep.  I was too busy being the goddamn Batman. 

Goddamn you Batman.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 25, 2012, 05:13:20 PM »

I actually finished this game up the other night.  I guess I had been pretty close to the end all this time and was kind of surprised how abruptly it all came to a close.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 25, 2012, 05:13:20 PM

I actually finished this game up the other night.  I guess I had been pretty close to the end all this time and was kind of surprised how abruptly it all came to a close.
[/quote

That happened to me with MW3 SP.  It had said I was at 41% completion, but that apparently includes playing on all levels.  Less than 10 minutes later I had finished the campaign.

I'm probably much farther along than my completion percentage indicates in Arkham City as I'm at about 38%, but if that includes Riddler trophies, riddles, political prisoners, Riddler hostages, etc, then I may be a bit closer to the main storyline's conclusion than indicated.  We'll see.

I've been blowing through my backlog wtih Skyrim on the list next.  That will probably occupy the rest of my time before the semester starts up on the 13th of August.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 25, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

Once you reach the end, it is over- over?  Or can you continue in a sandbox-type mode?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 25, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »

Quote from: jament on July 25, 2012, 05:23:26 PM

Once you reach the end, it is over- over?  Or can you continue in a sandbox-type mode?

You can continue on and finish the rest of the things you didn't do yet.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 25, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 25, 2012, 05:25:17 PM

I think it's called "NextPlay," "AddedPlay," or something like that.  I received a message from Autistic Angel the other night suggesting that I just worry about collecting Riddler trophies in this post-storyline game mode as I'll have all necessary gadgets to reach them all.  Right now there's a lot of backtracking to revisit already discovered trophies as I earn new toys. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »

yup,once finished(as i did today)you unlock new game plus but you have to go back to the main menu to start that,while if you stay in your current game,the story continues....er..after the story
Spoiler for Hiden:
Catwoman Vs Two Face

Been thinking about that ending

Spoiler for Hiden:
may be a bit of a stretch,but Clayface falls into the Lazarus Pit(as it's exploding) and Batman is out cold for a moment,anything could of happened while he was out,even Clayface taking back his role of 'The Joker'...but no matter what it would still leave The real Joker sick

Clayface was 'The Joker' in the wheelchair earlier in the story and Batman's scans showed that he was deceased,before the real Joker jumped on his back and gassed him,so we know that Clayface can pretend to be dead

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 26, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »

Just finished the game tonight.  It's tough to say whether I liked Arkham Asylum or Arkham City more, mainly because I consider them to be very different games.  While the mechanics are the same (or at least greatly similar), the overall gameplay is a great deal different with AC feeling more like an open world Assassin's Creed type of game and AA feeling more like a point-to-point focused story.  Still, I had a great time, enjoyed seeing so many different villians, the boss fights were challenging enough to make victory feel earned but not so hard as to make the game frustrating, and the story continued to throw curves at the player from beginning to end.

What a great ride.   thumbsup

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »

I started playing this again too after watching Dark Knight Rises. I still find the learning curve a little steep as they drop you into a huge city with most of your abilities and gadgets unlocked. And it's a little unfocused in that I'm really not sure what I should be doing next some of the time.

So far I like Arkham Asylum better but I'm not far enough into Arkham City to make a definitive statement.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 26, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 25, 2012, 05:28:22 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 25, 2012, 05:25:17 PM

I think it's called "NextPlay," "AddedPlay," or something like that.  I received a message from Autistic Angel the other night suggesting that I just worry about collecting Riddler trophies in this post-storyline game mode as I'll have all necessary gadgets to reach them all.  Right now there's a lot of backtracking to revisit already discovered trophies as I earn new toys. 

You don't even have to do new game+ to get back into the city and sandbox it.  You can just resume after your last checkpoint and have free reign of anything you haven't finished yet.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 26, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on July 26, 2012, 03:50:21 PM

I started playing this again too after watching Dark Knight Rises. I still find the learning curve a little steep as they drop you into a huge city with most of your abilities and gadgets unlocked. And it's a little unfocused in that I'm really not sure what I should be doing next some of the time.

So far I like Arkham Asylum better but I'm not far enough into Arkham City to make a definitive statement.

I felt the exact same way.  At first it feels like the game throws a lot at you, especially when you're in the middle of a mission, a nearby phone starts ringing and you find yourself in the middle of a side mission, then you get a note from Oracle about a dead body to investigate, etc.  But, over time the story becomes a little more focused, the side missions are pretty fun but completely manageable while tackling the main storyline, and after you start completing some side investigations the contant feels a little less overwhelming and more focused.  Although the volume of Riddler trophies and riddles is still rather daunting.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 16, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »

Armoured Edition looks like it does just that,especially for Catwoman which covers up her most vulnerable area(although TBH that's a great way for Selena to distract the bad guys before kicking them in the head)
Kotaku

it's part of the armour upgrade..and probably because Nintendo don't want kids staring at her too much Tongue

and as you may remember her

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: August 18, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »

Electrified gloves aside I wish they had gone with that costume for the main release.  The one in the main game just looked silly and impractical.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 18, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »

Batman's getting in on the electrosuit action, too, on the box art:

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »

Super late to the party on this one. I decided to replay AA before playing AC, so I had it very fresh in my mind. I think I would say I liked AA better, in that it was a bit more focused - overall I think the city added a lot of extra time to the game it didn't need. I also missed having Sandman sections.

On the plus side:
- I liked the introduction of the Riddler puzzles
- I liked the new combat moves - I was able to put together longer and more interesting combos

One thing that kind of annoys me about these 2 games is that they make the boss battles so unintuitive that they just say "screw it" and tell you how to win right on the screen. "Oh, this is the battle where you use the freeze bombs, just so you know."

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 07, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »

I've restarted this game 4 or 5 times and it feels good.

However, for whatever reason, I seem to be having difficulty getting the combat to click.  I was pretty good at B:AA combat but so far, I just can't get any huge combos going... any tips?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: