http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:55:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman:Arkham City  (Read 28704 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 19, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »

Small note to fellow DC fans:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Man, I hope Jack Ryder turns into Creeper during the course of this game.

Nerd powers...Deactivate!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »

im still totally hooked to dark souls, but please keep torturing me with delicious spoiler free teasers as i cant wait to get to this one next!
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 19, 2011, 07:00:33 PM

Holy sequel Batman! Can't believe how fantastic this game is. Wonder if Rocksteady will just continue with Batman (fine by me) or take on another super hero (I vote for Daredevil)

Isn't Daredevil marvel? Seems like they would probably stick with DC.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 19, 2011, 07:04:34 PM

Small note to fellow DC fans:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Man, I hope Jack Ryder turns into Creeper during the course of this game.

Nerd powers...Deactivate!

I thought the same.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »

I want to go home and be the goddamn batman
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 19, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 19, 2011, 07:06:21 PM

Holy sequel Batman! Can't believe how fantastic this game is. Wonder if Rocksteady will just continue with Batman (fine by me) or take on another super hero (I vote for Daredevil)

Yeah I know, just wishing out loud. There are a lot of DC/Marvel heroes out there that would probably be awesome to play, if made by Rocksteady or some over Dev with equal talent

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: October 19, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »

On moves listed in the waynetech screen, some have an "i". If you enable tutorial, they will instruct you on how to execute them properly. I strongly recommend using the critical tutorial until you're used to it.

Thankfully Catwoman is faster than Bats - I feel like he's competing with Marcus Fenix to be the biggest, slowest badass on the block. Maybe not that bad, but Catwoman gets away with more hits so her combos are easier to "mash". With the Goddamned Batman, its about a button push per second to half-second. Once you start landing crit hits, you'll practically fly across the screen to hit them, so be ready to aim your hits with the L stick + X (even the "warning" enemies). Y is a good bailout, but I found it throws off my combo mojo.

I'm on the first catwoman mission in the storyline. I've been picking up some side missions, but I've not done the virtual bat ones yet (I'm assuming those are the red digital bat logos like on the top of one of the two cranes just past two-faces pad).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:57:32 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 19, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 19, 2011, 07:55:34 PM

On moves listed in the waynetech screen, some have an "i". If you enable tutorial, they will instruct you on how to execute them properly. I strongly recommend using the critical tutorial until you're used to it.

Thankfully Catwoman is faster than Bats - I feel like he's competing with Marcus Fenix to be the biggest, slowest badass on the block. Maybe not that bad, but Catwoman gets away with more hits so her combos are easier to "mash". With the Goddamned Batman, its about a button push per second to half-second. Once you start landing crit hits, you'll practically fly across the screen to hit them, so be ready to aim your hits with the L stick + X (even the "warning" enemies). Y is a good bailout, but I found it throws off my combo mojo.

X (ps3) allows backman to run.  I think it's A on Xbox?  Whatever the bottom button is.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 19, 2011, 07:40:53 PM

I want to go home and be the goddamn batman
Agreed.  I actually had a chance at going home early until a manager scheduled a meeting right at the end of the day.

I played about four hours into it and have enjoyed every minute of it.  Only played past three of the story missions and some of the side missions.  9% of the main and 11% of the side.  Going to be a while before I complete this.  So damn good.  Getting better st combat and relearning the controls.  Can't wait to play more.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: October 19, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »

I'm referring to battle, not moving. biggrin If I didn't use A, I'd still be in a suit. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 19, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 19, 2011, 07:58:21 PM

I'm referring to battle, not moving. biggrin If I didn't use A, I'd still be in a suit. slywink

Indeed smile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 19, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »

If you played the original and more or less recall what went on, is a replay recommended before starting Arkham City or can you jump right in and not have to worry about missing anything even if it has been a while since playing Arkham Asylum?

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 19, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 19, 2011, 08:11:48 PM

If you played the original and more or less recall what went on, is a replay recommended before starting Arkham City or can you jump right in and not have to worry about missing anything even if it has been a while since playing Arkham Asylum?

I think you are ok just jumping right in. It had been a long time since I played AA and I was not at a loss for what's going on.

This game has a feature for this story that keeps you up to date (from the main menu) so if you step away for a bit, you can get caught up.  Also when you load a game, it gives you a couple comic style screens to catch you up.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 19, 2011, 08:22:06 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on October 19, 2011, 08:11:48 PM

I think you are ok just jumping right in. It had been a long time since I played AA and I was not at a loss for what's going on.

This game has a feature for this story that keeps you up to date (from the main menu) so if you step away for a bit, you can get caught up.  Also when you load a game, it gives you a couple comic style screens to catch you up.

That's a pretty sweet feature.  I'm must wavering between spending $30 on an On Demand copy of AA to pass the time and get somewhat of a goddamned Batman fix or if it would be better to put that $30 toward a copy of AC.  I have a handful of trade-ins, mainly games I just don't play anymore or have zero intention of getting back to, unfortunately they won't be worth much.  But, if I can get up to $30 toward AC then I'd pay out of pocket what I'd spend on AA. 

I'm so going to wind up having to sleep on the couch, if not outside.  Good thing I'll be the goddamned Batman.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 19, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »

Pete, the head of Arkham is now the mayor of Gotham and it's three months and change later. Aside from that and multiple references to the overall plot of the original (Titan drug), you're good to go picking this up.

I'm slowly getting back into the cobat routine and increasing my skills. It's absolutely vital to up your melee defense right from the start so you can last longer. Bullets can wait, but melee is important. I've also upped the critical hits skills and now I'm just wailing on the criminals. Overall, I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

But...

The go anywhere aspect is, surprisingly, not well suited to this story. Part of the greatness of Arkham Asylum was the go anywhere aspect because it was confined to a limited space. Blow that up to the size of this game and you lose one of AA's greatest strengths - focus. You always knew where you were going and what you had to do. Beating criminals to a pulp while en route to your goals was icing on the cake. But in AC, if you want to chase down Zasz you can do that. Oh look, Riddler prize! Hey, what's that over there? WHEEEEE!!! It's a case of focus versus a case of ADD. Again, I'm really liking AC but the mass expansion is, ironically, not working in its favor.

Also, a guy online calling himself Film Crit Hulk (great in character film writer) did a scathing critique of the gross sexism in the game. I have to agree with him and I guess the other game journos are so numbed to that aspect of gaming that they just ignored it. But Hulk made several good points, namely that this was nowhere to be found in AA but it's everywhere in AC. What's the point?

Regardless, I'm enjoying the game for the most part but not grabbing me quite the way AA did.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »

Despite wanting this badly right now, I'm certain that when November hits I'll wish I had the ability to pick up MW3.  Perhaps I should use my trade-ins for that and just wait to put AC on my Christmas list.  I can play SP games whenever, but MP depends entirely on popularity and the number of friends playing.  

I guess I'm just really desperate for a new game and Batman just sounds like way too much fun.  But then I take myself out of the MW3 market.  But, if I finish AC before the release of MW3, then I can always use it as a trade-in.  What to do.  Damnit.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 19, 2011, 08:43:53 PM

The go anywhere aspect is, surprisingly, not well suited to this story. Part of the greatness of Arkham Asylum was the go anywhere aspect because it was confined to a limited space. Blow that up to the size of this game and you lose one of AA's greatest strengths - focus. You always knew where you were going and what you had to do. Beating criminals to a pulp while en route to your goals was icing on the cake. But in AC, if you want to chase down Zasz you can do that. Oh look, Riddler prize! Hey, what's that over there? WHEEEEE!!! It's a case of focus versus a case of ADD. Again, I'm really liking AC but the mass expansion is, ironically, not working in its favor.

We'll agree to disagree I guess as the size of the environment and the fact that I have to find my way around in order to continue the main quest, and can stumble across side quests, is a huge plus for me.  It adds a sense of reality to being Batman that wasn't present in AA (although that's still a great game).  AA was pretty much on the rails from start to finish.  Given my druthers, I'll go with AC's style any day of the week.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »

Pete, the head of Arkham is now the mayor of Gotham and it's three months and change later. Aside from that and multiple references to the overall plot of the original (Titan drug), you're good to go picking this up.

I think the Joker said 6 months.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2011, 09:05:31 PM

I think the Joker said 6 months.

And you're trusting the Joker over me why?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »

He's a much snappier dressed.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »

Sneaking around in the steel mill to save the hostage is killing me. I suck?

Also, I haven't done any Riddler stuff yet because I have no idea what to do with them. Pressure plates everywhere and on walls and they don't seem to do anything.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »

Started the campaign at hard difficulty, very good challenge and this time the counter notification is still there. Except that the reaction time to counter is drastically shortened.

Semper Fidelis

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 19, 2011, 09:55:24 PM

Also, I haven't done any Riddler stuff yet because I have no idea what to do with them. Pressure plates everywhere and on walls and they don't seem to do anything.

What are you getting stuck on with the hostage?

Some pressure plates are linked to a Riddler trophy.  Use the detective mode to check out where the pressure plate leads to.  You can sometimes follow the path.  Some of them are as simple as just stepping on the plate and using the batclaw to grab them or, even better you can just walk over.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:58 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 19, 2011, 10:19:20 PM

Started the campaign at hard difficulty, very good challenge and this time the counter notification is still there. Except that the reaction time to counter is drastically shortened.

OOooh!  That was the reason I didn't want to play hard this time, I really missed the counter notification.  I might have to start over....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »

I'm figuring the pressure plates in the walls are either zip line or Catwoman related. I did find an invisible question mark in detective mode, but even when I lined it up and took the shot it wouldn't recognize it.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 19, 2011, 10:40:13 PM

The part where you have to sneak your way past guys with guns to get to the room with the hostage. I always get detected and shot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 20, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 19, 2011, 11:48:09 PM

The part where you have to sneak your way past guys with guns to get to the room with the hostage. I always get detected and shot.

is this the medic?  the one that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
was treating Joker and about to get hammered before she is dragged away?

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:01 AM »

How do you get to Mr. Freeze

Spoiler for Hiden:
I tried the remote electro charge but the door only opens half way.   I tried using a remote batarang ...but i see nothing to hit.  Am I missing something?

Duh...figured it out
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:29:45 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 20, 2011, 12:07:43 AM

Yep.

is this the medic?  the one that:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yep.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 20, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 20, 2011, 12:33:03 AM

Yep.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yep.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You don't go through the door or window, there's a button in the room you can press and it takes you to the room where the guys are, then you have to grapple to a vantage point from the ceiling and you can drop down and take out one guy quietly and then the two guys down by the burned out car at once.  Is that where you are stuck?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 20, 2011, 02:11:36 AM »

Is this happening to anyone else?  I was downloading stuff in the background while playing and when it finished, an in-game message (not an Xbox one) popped up telling me that something had been downloaded and they were dropping me to the main menu.  WTF??!  The first time, it was because I'd finished with the Robin download, so I figured it was just that the game wanted to build that stuff into the world before I continued.  Still annoying, but fine.  However, it's now happened two other times with completely unrelated material.  Every single time I was right in the middle of something important.  A fight or a task or something.  I think one time I was confronting the Joker for the first time.

Why the hell would they do this?

Anyway, lesson is: Make sure you're not downloading anything while playing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:32 AM »

Yeah, catwomans download forced me to go through the opening again, since I hadn't gotten to the first checkpoint.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 20, 2011, 01:26:11 AM

Quote from: JayDee on October 20, 2011, 12:33:03 AM

Yep.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yep.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You don't go through the door or window, there's a button in the room you can press and it takes you to the room where the guys are, then you have to grapple to a vantage point from the ceiling and you can drop down and take out one guy quietly and then the two guys down by the burned out car at once.  Is that where you are stuck?

The henchmen in this game aren't dumb this time around.  You simply can't take them out from the well placed perch points in the room.  Once you start a take down you will need to move quickly to take down the rest. Use detective mode to plan your attacks

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 19, 2011, 08:43:53 PM

I'm slowly getting back into the cobat routine and increasing my skills. It's absolutely vital to up your melee defense right from the start so you can last longer. Bullets can wait, but melee is important. I've also upped the critical hits skills and now I'm just wailing on the criminals. Overall, I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

But...

Also, a guy online calling himself Film Crit Hulk (great in character film writer) did a scathing critique of the gross sexism in the game. I have to agree with him and I guess the other game journos are so numbed to that aspect of gaming that they just ignored it. But Hulk made several good points, namely that this was nowhere to be found in AA but it's everywhere in AC. What's the point?

Regardless, I'm enjoying the game for the most part but not grabbing me quite the way AA did.

Sorry, I've got to disagree with you as well, on numerous points. You should never need melee defense. Channel the goddamn batman better. Unless you're being snuck up on during a cutscene and conked on the head, or tied to a chair and slapped in a cutscene, or walked right up to and smacked during a cutscene, no one touches the goddamn bat. Counter better.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 20, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »

while I don't feel quite as aggressive about my disagreement with whiteboyskim as ibdoomed  icon_wink , I would like to also add that blaming a game for your own inability to stay focused on one task at a time is rather unfair.  It's not like the side missions are timed (beyond the ones that you have to commit to first before the timed part begins).  You can pick and choose to your hearts content.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »

Not sure if Dark Souls has spoiled me, but starting in Hard mode seems 100% more tactical and intense. In normal mode I didn't have to really prioritize targets or plan how to take out 5-10 guys quickly.
So far in hard mode getting surrounded or not prioritizing armed thugs = dead goddamn Batman

Semper Fidelis

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 20, 2011, 11:13:03 AM

The henchmen in this game aren't dumb this time around.  You simply can't take them out from the well placed perch points in the room.  Once you start a take down you will need to move quickly to take down the rest. Use detective mode to plan your attacks

I'm still finding them forgetful about the 'never split up' rule though.  if I get detected I grapnel away, wait a few seconds for one of them to split off from the main pack, take him down and then repeat if necessary.  another mission had me taking out 3 of them from the same section of floor grating, again because they unwisely split up.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 20, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 19, 2011, 07:47:20 PM

Yeah I know, just wishing out loud. There are a lot of DC/Marvel heroes out there that would probably be awesome to play, if made by Rocksteady or some over Dev with equal talent

sadly they probably will stick with DC, and Batman is the only DC character I give a shit about
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 20, 2011, 02:07:23 PM

Not sure if Dark Souls has spoiled me, but starting in Hard mode seems 100% more tactical and intense. In normal mode I didn't have to really prioritize targets or plan how to take out 5-10 guys quickly.
So far in hard mode getting surrounded or not prioritizing armed thugs = dead goddamn Batman

holy impossibility batman!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 20, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 20, 2011, 02:55:11 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 19, 2011, 07:47:20 PM

sadly they probably will stick with DC, and Batman is the only DC character I give a shit about

Still holding out for Marvel to release a Paste Pot Pete game?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: