http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman Begins Reviews?  (Read 1346 times)
Bob
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:46:34 PM »

No reviews yet... is this not a good sign?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »

Batman games always suck.  That is all you need to know.  Which is a shame.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 05:50:50 PM »

The game isn't out until tomorrow, I thought?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 07:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
No reviews yet... is this not a good sign?

I'm sure there is a hold until at least tonight on reviews of the game.  Usually movie tie-in games are held for review until a certain time.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:11:43 PM »

Shhhh....I'll tell you a secret.  Its not too bad actually.  smile  I'm working on a review.  I'll say this, the artwork on the character models is great.  They really worked hard on the face modeling.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »

Actually this game is pretty good. I picked this game up at a local game store by my work. I was really hesitant because of all the previous Batman games being bad. Well it retailed at 39.99 and the owner said if I didn't like it he would give me 30.00 trade in for it. So I said, "what the heck" and bought it. And to my surprise the game was good. The character models are great. The atmosphere is perfect and the whole fear to defeat your enemies is alot of fun. Think of this game this way. It's Batman meets Splinter Cell. It's not an all out basher game. The use of stealth is a big part of the game. Different ways to go about missions. So far I am really enjoying the game.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 04:21:27 PM »

I rented this last night. IGN gave this a 6.8 and my early impressions fall in line with that score. First off, the game looks pretty nice standing still. The environments are nicely detailed and the game kind of has that soft blur effect that the Sands of Time had. Unfortunately, the animations are hilariously awful. Somehow, the animators make the Dark Knight look like that kid from the Napoleon Dynamite movie. Basically, when running and climbling ladders, Batman looks like a total spaz.

The game itself doesn't seem very deep. The combat engine reminded me a bit of Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, but more limited and without really tight controls. You have a button to kick, a button to punch and then a context-sensitve button that performs a special move.  I haven't gotten far enough in yet to play with the stealth elements, but those don't seem very deep either.

The other thing that kind of bothers me is just how lacking in context the game is. I realize that it is an adaption of a movie, but it seems like each level is just strung together with a 15 second video clip from the movie. There's no real continuity between levels to make it feel like a cohesive game. Maybe that's par for the course for movie adaptions, but, not having seen the flick yet, it kind of bugs me.

I'm going to put some more time into this tonight, but I would advise folks who are sitting on the fence to rent it first before plunking down the cash.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 04:21:20 AM »

I am enjoying it quite a bit (though, agreed, Batman looks like a spaz climbing ladders - don't mind the running, though).

I think where problems may arise is in comparing it to other games.  Splinter Cell seems to be the big one, and it's probably because I think we'd all like to see a full-blown Batman game in Splinter Cell mode.  This isn't that.  And it's not trying to be.  It's also not the Lord of the Rings games, but it's much closer to that line.  However, there are no roleplaying aspects.  Nothing to upgrade.  No combo moves to buy (though if you want that, get Batman:Rise of Sin Tzu, which, along with Batman:Vengeance are evidence that the "Batman games suck" argument isn't completely true - they're not brilliant, but they certainly didn't suck [especially when compared to Batman:Dark Tomorrow]).

It's a VERY linear game, which is a bit of a disappointmen, but part of that letdown comes again from Splinter Cell expectations.  Still, it could have benefited greatly from more open environments with more choices.

The story may not seem entirely coherent without seeing the movie, but I would say it's comparable to the LOTR games in using clips from the movie to give you just enough to know what's going on.

Basically, it's not deep at all, that's true, but it's really not trying to be Splinter Cell.  Honestly, I probably should be upset that the game is trying to appeal to the broadest audience, but I've played through four missions in one sitting, which is very rare for me.

I don't think it's for everyone, especially not for those who can't get past what might have been (or what they were expecting), but, expecially if you've got a thing for the Dark Knight, you'll be entertained.  

Also note this game is selling for a comparably low price at most stores and is even $30 at some.  Worth that, I think.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 05:36:38 PM »

I like it.  It is no mega title or anything but I find it entertaining.  Maybe it is just the whole cool Batman thing or something.  Because of the linearity I see absolutely zero replay value.  So, ONLY rent it.  If you are a big Batman fan, at least give it a go.  He never looked better in a video game in my opinion.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 08:30:24 PM »

Okay, my assessment is boosting as I continue on.  I am starting to get a much better handle on the combat and the whole gliding thing with the cape is freakin cool.  I love being way up on a crane only to glide a football field or so and land softly 10 feet behing a guy and do a stealth kill.  

And the jet car against the thugs race to the bridge thing was like Burnout 3 and Need for Speed Underground all rolled into one.  Loved it.

I like it.  This game should hold me over til I can rent Destroy All Humans.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 12:05:13 AM »

Just finished it and it took me in the 10 hour range I would say.  Just about right for me.   I rented.  And I really like it.  I will play it again some time I am sure.  The gliding thing is just too friggin cool for words, and the plot drives you on.  There is quite a bit of platforming though.   I would say this is a cross between Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell.  Not as good as either, but with aspects of each.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: