http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:54:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman: Arkham City  (Read 12129 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2011, 06:05:55 PM

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 19, 2011, 06:02:26 PM

Will any GTX card run PhysX or is there only specific beefy cards that will run it?

I was able to run Arkham Asylum with PhsyX with a GTX 260, so I imagine newer cards should be fine. I believe every nVidia card since then has been physx capable.

I was even able to turn on some of the PhysX stuff on my old 9800GTX+ card, so I'm sure any of the newer GTX cards should be fine.  In Arkham Assylum they also had a couple levels of PhysX you could turn on, so you could tune it down a bit if your machine was choking.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »

Thanks. Then my 460 should be okay.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »

Just watched the Nvidia Batman video and it looks awesome.  The Physx really added to the environments. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »

whoops:

before anyone runs screaming over there, it's a glitch.  the link doesn't work, so you cannot even order it to try and get them to honor it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 20, 2011, 11:56:34 PM

whoops:

before anyone runs screaming over there, it's a glitch.  the link doesn't work, so you cannot even order it to try and get them to honor it.

sweet in for 100!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »

system req's:

Minimum System Requirements
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7
        CPU: Dual-Core CPU 2.4 Ghz
        RAM: 2GB
        Graphics Card: NVIDIA 8800 or ATI 3800 with 512MB of VRAM
        Sound: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible)
        DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
        Hard Drive: 17.5GB free disk space
        Input Devices: 100% Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible mouse and keyboard

Recommended System Requirements
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
        CPU: Dual-Core CPU 2.5 GHz
        RAM: 4GB
        Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or ATI Radeon HD 6850 with 768MB+ of VRAM (DirectX 11 compatible)
        Sound: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible)
        DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
        Hard Drive: 17.5 GB free disk space
        Input Devices: 100% Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible mouse and keyboard or Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »

Quote from: lex on October 18, 2011, 07:07:06 PM

It's up for preorder on steam with a release date of Nov 15.  $49.99, with a 20% discount if you already own Batman: Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman through steam.

Bought....

now the page says November 22nd....

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2011, 11:49:57 PM

Quote from: lex on October 18, 2011, 07:07:06 PM

It's up for preorder on steam with a release date of Nov 15.  $49.99, with a 20% discount if you already own Batman: Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman through steam.

Bought....

now the page says November 22nd....

25th here. What's this, the 4th delay? 5th? It has removed all my enthusiasm for the game, that's for sure. WB keeps pushing the release back without giving us a reason, treating us like second-rate customers. Well fuck them! I won't vote for Arkham City in GOTY polls no matter how good it is, and I won't buy a single piece of DLC. The game itself I got as part of the Nvidia promotion, so I didn't pay directly for it. WB needs to learn how to do business. 
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »

If your a Aussie then they jacked it up to $99 on steam after having it cheaper initially  mad
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

boo-urns.....I'm not extremely upset, but feel like I've been stood up by batman, yet again....... Tongue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2011, 08:12:36 PM »

Yeah, another PC game delayed really sucks, and I'm getting sick of it. 

This is just one more reason I guess I'm going to support Saints Row The Third on PC, since they are saying that they are specifically trying to support the PC audience by launching at the same time with full support and not a crappy port.  Hopefully they pull it off and get sufficiently rewarded by the PC crowd for that.  The only way to prove to publishers that we matter is with real numbers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

fwiw (this is "confirmation" of dates others already saw) various news sites said Warner confirmed Nov. 22 for N. America. Now you know what to play on Black FridayTM...
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today confirmed that the Games for Windows PC version of Batman: Arkham City will be available in North America beginning November 22, in Australia beginning November 23, in France and Benelux beginning November 24, and in other European territories beginning November 25.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:01:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2011, 12:23:49 AM »

Well I guess there isn't going to be a pre-load for the game. icon_cry

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2011, 05:12:23 AM »

Well won't be playing this tonight.  16G download. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »

Quote from: shon on November 22, 2011, 05:12:23 AM

Well won't be playing this tonight.  16G download. 

it's crazy huge-  that's twice what the Xbox 360 install size is.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »

Let us know how it performs, and how bad the Consolitis is.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

On the Steam forum people are reporting poor framerates running in DX11. Looks like running in DX9 is the way to go for now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 22, 2011, 06:08:41 PM

Let us know how it performs, and how bad the Consolitis is.

I'll be fiddling around with it this evening.  I set it to download from Green Man Gaming last night while I slept, so it should be sitting on my PC ready to be installed.

Because I can,
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »

Played for about 30 mins (after downloading this for 12 hours) and it runs fine so far at 1080p on a Q6600 with 4850.  I turned off AA but everything is very high.  There's some slowdown when batman enters a building, but haven't really noticed anything beyond that.

BTW, for those who don't know, there's Steam, Securom and GFWL DRM just like the first one.

And is it me or is the combat a little bit slower paced than the first one.  There's just a little bit more time to decide who to hit next.

ok, there's a benchmark tool in the game, and I'm getting about 50 fps average, with a low of 16 fps
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:32:05 PM by lex » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »

I'm getting more comfy with a PS style controller (Renegade Ops, LOTR: War in the North), so I'd be curious how this plays on PC with a controller. I never quite got comfortable using keys for combos in the Arkham Asylum game.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 22, 2011, 08:49:17 PM

I'm getting more comfy with a PS style controller (Renegade Ops, LOTR: War in the North), so I'd be curious how this plays on PC with a controller. I never quite got comfortable using keys for combos in the Arkham Asylum game.

I played the first one using both (xbox360 controller) and I preferred having a mouse for camera control when in combat because it was quicker to swing it around to find the next enemy.  But this really wasn't an issue.

The new one has a lot of more quick keys to access for your gadgets during combat, so the controller is the way to go I think
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »

Quote from: lex on November 22, 2011, 09:24:20 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 22, 2011, 08:49:17 PM

I played the first one using both (xbox360 controller) and I preferred having a mouse for camera control when in combat because it was quicker to swing it around to find the next enemy.  But this really wasn't an issue.

The new one has a lot of more quick keys to access for your gadgets during combat, so the controller is the way to go I think
Hmmm, yeah I can understand that. While I'm OK in War in the North, the PS style thumbstick (I don't know if maybe an XBox360's is more precise) can get a little klutzy on camera view adjustment. I guess the thing is when I need to quickly look behind my character or something, it feels like "steering" the thumbstick around to that view takes forever, whereas with a mouse it's pretty instantaneous.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:29:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »

I usually go with a 360 controller for any game that was developed primarily for consoles, with the exception of first-person games. Developers have gotten much better with interfaces and quick-menus in console games. Heck, in rage I used my Mouse/Keyboard for the shooting stuff and general driving, and the controller for the races.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2011, 01:54:53 AM »

Quote from: lex on November 22, 2011, 07:58:03 PM

Played for about 30 mins (after downloading this for 12 hours) and it runs fine so far at 1080p on a Q6600 with 4850.  I turned off AA but everything is very high.  There's some slowdown when batman enters a building, but haven't really noticed anything beyond that.

BTW, for those who don't know, there's Steam, Securom and GFWL DRM just like the first one.

And is it me or is the combat a little bit slower paced than the first one.  There's just a little bit more time to decide who to hit next.

ok, there's a benchmark tool in the game, and I'm getting about 50 fps average, with a low of 16 fps

nVidia here, and the benchmark runs like crap with DX11 on but no AA (like 1/60/30).  with DX11 off I get 26 minimum, 60 max and 52 average with PhsyX set to max and AA off, but DX11/AA was one of the main reasons I got it for the PC in the first place. gonna try non DX11 with AA to see what happens.

too bad the benchmark is annoying because you cannot cancel it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2011, 02:05:16 AM »

damn, with DX11 off, PhysX high and AA set to nVidia 32X CSAA (not sure where that stands in the hierarchy but it's the last choice under AA) I got 24 min, 61 max (?) and 49 average.  seemed every time the scene in the benchmark changed my minimum took a hit.

in short, they totally fucked up the DX11 implementation.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »

Took me 30 minutes to even get in the game.  For some reason GFWL kept saying my id/password was incorrect even though I could logon to the live marketplace.  I even went and changed my password and it still didn't work. I then used the option to sign on with a different ID but I used the same one and password and then it worked. It had to redownload my profile.  The next time i went into the game I had to do the different ID thing again. 
Really frustrating. 

Then I do the unstoppable benchmark with DX11 and physx on high with 4MAA and get horrible frame rates, when it pans around the lion it almost stops completely.  I have a gtx 580 and a gtx 260 just for physx.  Horrible performance, they took an extra month to give us this????

I then went and turned off the DX11 stuff with everything else maxed and averaged about 42fps.  Hopefully there will be a patch to fix this but this is disappointing.

The one thing about combat is that they pulled the camera out more so the fights don't seem as brutal as the first game.  I guess they did that since there are more moves and some fighting is out in the open but it's not the same.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »

Played to almost where I stopped playing on the console version since I wanted the better graphics and I am impressed.  I may not be using DX11 until a patch comes out,  but it does look pretty nice and haven't noticed any slowdown.  They really upped the Physx support as I notice it everywhere I've went in the city.  There is always some sort of smoke or paper flying around.  I did make it to the refinery and the embers looked awesome.

I don't remember the first one having curse words in it, but they said quite a few early on, now it's not vulgar or anything, but just seems a little odd.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2011, 05:44:07 AM »

mouse and keyboard seems to be working OK, but I haven't unlocked any of the gliding challenges yet and that where I'm concerned it will fall apart.  you use the mouse to climb and dive, but the camera also moves so when you are climbing you're looking at Batman's belly button lint.  I really wish they had made it so W makes you climb, and S makes you dive.

I'm also having issues with the glide kick when gliding.  it says hit the left mouse button but when I do it doesn't seem to register it and I just glide into the target.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »

Glide kick on consoles require you to hold the button down.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 23, 2011, 03:50:47 PM

yeah, that's what I was trying, but it just occurred to me that maybe I need to release the space bar for it to work.  I'll have to give that a shot tonight.

[edit]  heh, from the main boards:

PC DirectX 11 Issues Please Read
We have received reports of performance issues from players of Batman: Arkham City on PC. After researching the matter, we found that running the game with DX 11 is causing the performance issues. We’re working on a title update to address this matter and expect to make it available in the near future.

In the meantime, a workaround for this issue is to run the game with DX 9 instead of DX 11. Instructions on how to turn off DX 11 are listed below.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your gameplay experience and thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

no shit sherlock [/jersoc]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:04:31 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »

How could they have possibly neglected to test the game on a DX11 computer?!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 23, 2011, 04:09:22 PM

It's been pretty clear for a while that they don't give a shit about the PC experience for this game, so I'm not surprised.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

Who said they didn't? Personally, I have little doubt that they knew very well that this issue existed and simply decided it wasn't important enough to delay the release further (whether this issue was the reason for the delay in the first place, who knows?). Now the rules of PR say that they have to respond immediately with an expression of shock and sympathy to minimize the ill will they're going to generate over this.

-Ash
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 23, 2011, 04:49:44 PM

Who said they didn't? Personally, I have little doubt that they knew very well that this issue existed and simply decided it wasn't important enough to delay the release further (whether this issue was the reason for the delay in the first place, who knows?). Now the rules of PR say that they have to respond immediately with an expression of shock and sympathy to minimize the ill will they're going to generate over this.

-Ash

I'm surprised they didn't go with a stock "a small minority of our users are experiencing problems" press release like every other company does even if all their users are affected by something.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »

Buy games a few weeks after release for the better version and a possible sale price.

Sean Lama
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 23, 2011, 07:14:08 PM

Buy games a few weeks after release for the better version and a possible sale price.
It's 50% off today if you can cope with EA's Origin. I guess they have their own achievements system?

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 25, 2011, 07:21:49 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 23, 2011, 07:14:08 PM

It's 50% off today if you can cope with EA's Origin. I guess they have their own achievements system?

Origin doesn't have an achievement system, but since AC is a Games For Windows Live title, you get XBox achievements/gamerscore.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »

Just a little warning: Make sure you're actually running Games for Windows Live before you start this game. I had mine disabled since it takes an average of 45 seconds to load during the Windows 7 boot, and didn't remember to turn it back on for Batman. The game didn't give me a single warning (though I did wonder why I couldn't bring up the Live interface) and let me play as normal. Played for about 2 hours then called it a night. Started it up again this morning and... there was no evidence I had ever played the game. No saved games whatsoever. All my progress lost.

If you're not seeing the GFWL interface, quit the game and make sure you're actually running the application first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 26, 2011, 03:55:32 PM

Just a little warning: Make sure you're actually running Games for Windows Live before you start this game. I had mine disabled since it takes an average of 45 seconds to load during the Windows 7 boot, and didn't remember to turn it back on for Batman. The game didn't give me a single warning (though I did wonder why I couldn't bring up the Live interface) and let me play as normal. Played for about 2 hours then called it a night. Started it up again this morning and... there was no evidence I had ever played the game. No saved games whatsoever. All my progress lost.

If you're not seeing the GFWL interface, quit the game and make sure you're actually running the application first.

damn, at least with Fallout 3 it'd save in a different location if you weren't actually logged into GfWL.  I checked the save game directory for AC and it's not the same-  Fallout 3 had save games, and then a directory with my gamertag along with more save games.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2011, 04:00:15 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 23, 2011, 03:50:47 PM

yeah, that's what I was trying, but it just occurred to me that maybe I need to release the space bar for it to work.  I'll have to give that a shot tonight.

turns out you don't need to keep holding down the space bar once you hit the LMB.  oh, and I've been finding the gliding training a lot easier with the mouse/keyboard.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: