http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 07:43:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman: Arkham City  (Read 11774 times)
ibdoomed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 20, 2011, 02:45:03 PM

sorry guys icon_frown

Delayed until November for PC

(although CVG say Arkham Asylum,i am pretty sure they mean Arkham City)

News is all over the place now so I cancelled my xbox amazon pre-order.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »

Delay aside, the game is now sitting in my owned game list in Steam and teasing me. I received a brand new Geforce card today, and they're running a promo where you get a free Steam copy of Arkham City with the purchase. Looking forward to playing it, even if I have to wait an extra 14 days or so.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 23, 2011, 09:10:25 PM

Delay aside, the game is now sitting in my owned game list in Steam and teasing me. I received a brand new Geforce card today, and they're running a promo where you get a free Steam copy of Arkham City with the purchase. Looking forward to playing it, even if I have to wait an extra 14 days or so.

kinda wish they had been running that promo before I jumped on the Green Man Gaming wagon since I'm looking at nVidia cards right now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2011, 10:52:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2011, 09:19:00 PM

kinda wish they had been running that promo before I jumped on the Green Man Gaming wagon since I'm looking at nVidia cards right now.

Thats ok. Go ahead and buy the card and give the code away to some deserving person.
Btw, have I told you lately how much I enjoy your posts?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »

for those who don't follow the console forum... wow:

IGN 9.5/10
CVG 9.5/10
The Telegraph 5/5
Games Radar 10/10
1UP A
Eurogamer 9/10
G4 5/5
Giant Bomb 5/5
GameTrailers 9.3/10
GameSpot 9/10
IncGamers 9/10

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »

Yikes...

slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2011, 02:08:09 AM »

Dammit.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2011, 03:12:55 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 15, 2011, 02:08:09 AM

Dammit.

Be strong fellow gamers. Keep the boycott alive. You can do it!
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:28 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 15, 2011, 12:36:52 AM

Yikes...

Yikes.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »

Does somebody have a link for the Steam store page for Akham City? I've done searches in the store there (Batman, Arkham, etc.) and nothing comes up for it, not even a trailer - can only find listings for the original game.  confused I'd assume there's no Steam release, but I keep seeing posts about the Steam version (for Arkham City). Where is it?  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »

this seems to be a continuing trend lately.  games not appearing on steam until the day/week of release. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 15, 2011, 07:53:17 PM

Does somebody have a link for the Steam store page for Akham City? I've done searches in the store there (Batman, Arkham, etc.) and nothing comes up for it, not even a trailer - can only find listings for the original game.  confused I'd assume there's no Steam release, but I keep seeing posts about the Steam version (for Arkham City). Where is it?  icon_confused

It's not available to buy yet. I don't see anything for it either. They probably don't want it to appear in the lists until closer to release so that people don't tire at looking at it (or forget it) before it's even out. People who get it through special promotions (like me) are a different case though. The game is probably added like usual to the Steam systems but set to be invisible.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »

I imagine it'll pop up as we get closer to November.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2011, 03:09:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 15, 2011, 08:47:19 PM

http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/3340/batman-arkham-city-delayed-on-pc/

In case anyone missed it - I wouldn't expect it earlier than after the console release as to not generate frustrated PC gamers who thought it'd be out with the console release.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 17, 2011, 03:09:38 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 15, 2011, 08:47:19 PM

http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/3340/batman-arkham-city-delayed-on-pc/

In case anyone missed it - I wouldn't expect it earlier than after the console release as to not generate frustrated PC gamers who thought it'd be out with the console release.

Right. This money grab is the whole reason for the boycott.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1196634p1.html

take it for what it's worth, but they are saying it is because the PC version isn't done yet.  considering the state of RAGE at it's release I'm willing to take them at their word as it seems like they're not willing to release an unfinished product.  they did the same thing with Asylum, and you could see the difference between the demo (horrible framerates) and the final version (smoother than ibdoomed's freshly shaven ass).

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2011, 02:30:35 PM

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1196634p1.html

take it for what it's worth, but they are saying it is because the PC version isn't done yet.  considering the state of RAGE at it's release I'm willing to take them at their word as it seems like they're not willing to release an unfinished product.  they did the same thing with Asylum, and you could see the difference between the demo (horrible framerates) and the final version (smoother than ibdoomed's freshly shaven ass).

Hmmmm. I guess what I don't get is that if the source textures and assets are created at a high res, then dumbed down for the consoles, wouldn't the PC version require less work since they can give out the native res?

It really just seems like M$ or $ony called them up and said "Hey, can you delay the other versions and we'll slip you a little extra" and they said "No, but we can compromise and delay the PC version for you".

Unless mouse and keyboard support require that much more work?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »

The general feeling is they start with console and upgrade rather than down grade.

Personally I think they hold back so it's not snapped up by the Pirates and causes console versions to sell less as free on PC could be more appealing than 40 on console if you have both or all three.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 17, 2011, 02:59:42 PM

The general feeling is they start with console and upgrade rather than down grade.

Wow, that seems back asswards and a lot more work.

Personally I think they hold back so it's not snapped up by the Pirates and causes console versions to sell less as free on PC could be more appealing than 40 on console if you have both or all three.

Excellent point. I also just realized that the console price is $60! Sheesh, with the legitimate price for PC being $36, I can understand them wanting to push the console versions more. That seems more likely than M$ or $ony offering kickbacks.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 17, 2011, 02:50:55 PM

Hmmmm. I guess what I don't get is that if the source textures and assets are created at a high res, then dumbed down for the consoles, wouldn't the PC version require less work since they can give out the native res?

I don't know why you think the delay is because of art assets, but I can pretty much guarantee you that those are not the issue. This is more likely caused by last-minute bugs (it's harder to debug a PC-game than a console game), driver issues, work needed on the menus, or marketing. Or all of the above. Art assets don't enter into the equation.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 17, 2011, 03:08:07 PM

Wow, that seems back asswards and a lot more work.

On the contrary, it's far less work. You begin with the most basic version (which is the console version since consoles have the greatest limitations by far) and make sure it works there, then add extras on top of that for the PC version. Of course, the basic version isn't built in a vacuum, so the groundwork is laid for the added features to make it easy to implement them later.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2011, 03:14:55 PM

I don't know why you think the delay is because of art assets, but I can pretty much guarantee you that those are not the issue. This is more likely caused by last-minute bugs (it's harder to debug a PC-game than a console game), driver issues, work needed on the menus, or marketing. Or all of the above. Art assets don't enter into the equation.

That was the impression given by the IGN article. I agree that makes no sense, but since they aren't stating what the issues are the natural conclusion is money.

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2011, 03:17:46 PM

On the contrary, it's far less work. You begin with the most basic version (which is the console version since consoles have the greatest limitations by far) and make sure it works there, then add extras on top of that for the PC version. Of course, the basic version isn't built in a vacuum, so the groundwork is laid for the added features to make it easy to implement them later.

I guess I was thinking of it like a picture. If you take a 1mp picture and blow it up to poster size, it gets pixelated and looks like arse. Where as if you take a 12mp picture and shrink it, it still looks good.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 17, 2011, 04:31:58 PM

I guess I was thinking of it like a picture. If you take a 1mp picture and blow it up to poster size, it gets pixelated and looks like arse. Where as if you take a 12mp picture and shrink it, it still looks good.

I think it's more like building a simple house framework with simple furnishings and decorations, getting it running great, then going back in to add better wallpaper and a fog machine.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:52 PM »

So, setting aside the reason for the delay, are people thinking it's worth waiting for the PC version for this one? Or are the differences going to be small enough that I may as well just get it for my 360 (for the purposes of this exercise, assume that I do not care about the price, except that I will not be buying it for both)?

- Ash
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

#FirstWorldProblems.  Tongue Some of us don't have a rig capable of running new games anyway.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »

I'm doing the double dip myself, but the 360 version is paid off with trade in credit, and I figure I'll be able to get decent trade in value for it from a quick turnaround as I'm going to save most of the trophy hunting and sight seeing for the PC version.  I imagine the PC version will have some sales- Green Man Gaming has it discounted, and if they run another code it might be even cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:03:41 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 17, 2011, 06:57:49 PM

#FirstWorldProblems.

Oh, I know. On a related note, if I was in the SWTOR beta by now I'd be perfectly happy to wait for the PC version of Arkham City next month. But I'm not and I want something new and shiny to play this month...

- Ash
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on October 17, 2011, 06:55:52 PM

So, setting aside the reason for the delay, are people thinking it's worth waiting for the PC version for this one? Or are the differences going to be small enough that I may as well just get it for my 360 (for the purposes of this exercise, assume that I do not care about the price, except that I will not be buying it for both)?

- Ash

Aside from the higher resolution you can play at, the PC version (if it's like Arkham Asylum) takes advantage of PhysX to give you shuffling paper & debris, wavy cloth, and smoke effects.  All of these things do look nifty if you do a side by side, but I thought Asylum looked great on the 360 as-is so I'm sticking with the 360 for this one also.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2011, 07:01:37 PM

I'm doing the double dip myself, but the 360 version is paid off with trade in credit, and I figure I'll be able to get decent trade in value for it from a quick turnaround as I'm going to save most of the trophy hunting and sight seeing for the PC version.  I imagine the PC version will have some sales- Green Man Gaming has it discounted, and if they run another code it might be even cheaper.

This one brings it down to like $36.04:  TECHB-ARGAI-NS015  but there may be a better one out there.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 17, 2011, 04:34:42 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 17, 2011, 04:31:58 PM

I think it's more like building a simple house framework with simple furnishings and decorations, getting it running great, then going back in to add better wallpaper and a fog machine.

You owe me a keyboard.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »

I want it as part of my steam games though. Perhaps I will wait for the holiday sale where it'll likely be 25% off.

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »

It's up for preorder on steam with a release date of Nov 15.  $49.99, with a 20% discount if you already own Batman: Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman through steam.

Bought....
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »

Quote from: lex on October 18, 2011, 07:07:06 PM

It's up for preorder on steam with a release date of Nov 15.  $49.99, with a 20% discount if you already own Batman: Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman through steam.

Bought....

Sweet. There ya go Purge, it's only $4 more to get it in your steam collection.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »

Nice. I have AA and Lego Batman, so I suppose it could be my 198th game.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »

It says November 15th here in Europe too. I hope they fix that, as the game's release is November 11th over here.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »

*Sigh*.

I caved and bought the XBOX version, since I hate it when other people are having fun and I'm not. slywink I'll post impressions in console forum later on.

- Ash
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

I did buy the game on 360 as well and boy do I miss the 1080P graphics.  It looks ok but it should look amazing on a PC.  So I'm not sure if I really want to continue playing.  It's a tough choice.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »

I'm kinda torn too.  I think this game is going to look incredible with PhysX enabled.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »

Will any GTX card run PhysX or is there only specific beefy cards that will run it?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 19, 2011, 06:02:26 PM

Will any GTX card run PhysX or is there only specific beefy cards that will run it?

I was able to run Arkham Asylum with PhsyX with a GTX 260, so I imagine newer cards should be fine. I believe every nVidia card since then has been physx capable.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: