http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:47:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman: Arkham City  (Read 12048 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:54:41 AM »

I'm pre-announcing it's month long delay due to having to optimize the PhysX engine  icon_twisted  looks like it takes place not long after the end of the first game, as the Joker looks pretty beat up still.  I wonder how far off it is though, could they indeed be aiming for a 2010 release?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:12:23 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:04:58 AM »

Seems a bit early for an announcement.  I hope they aren't rushing out a cheapie sequel. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:09:59 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 13, 2009, 03:04:58 AM

Seems a bit early for an announcement.  I hope they aren't rushing out a cheapie sequel. 

I'm honestly expecting more of the same, with little innovation, maybe some updated graphics but another great story.  I can live with that.  Paul Dini can turn out some good stuff, and he's used to wiritng monthly comics so I doubt the turn around would be tough for him.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 03:19:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 13, 2009, 03:09:59 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 13, 2009, 03:04:58 AM

I'm honestly expecting more of the same, with little innovation, maybe some updated graphics but another great story.  I can live with that.  Paul Dini can turn out some good stuff, and he's used to wiritng monthly comics so I doubt the turn around would be tough for him.

I can live with that too but I think it would take at least 18 months, if not 2 years, to just do that.  I'm worried that announcing now means they are targeting a release by next holiday season and I think 14-16 months development is just obscenely short this generation. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:46 AM »

To be honest though, they really can reuse a lot of assets for a sequel without the reused assets feeling out of place.  It's still the same city, architectural style, and same characters.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:31:12 AM »

Left 4 Dead 2 had probably less than a year in development using most of the same engine assets with new models and AI mixed in and it turned out to be pretty decent. sure, you can probably point out a ton of games that didn't turn out so great with a quick dev cycle but it is possible.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 13, 2009, 03:31:12 AM

Left 4 Dead 2 had probably less than a year in development using most of the same engine assets with new models and AI mixed in and it turned out to be pretty decent. sure, you can probably point out a ton of games that didn't turn out so great with a quick dev cycle but it is possible.

L4D2 is a really good example (in a positive way, I'm assuming, since I haven't played it).  Last generation there were quite a few games with approximately one year of dev time, both good and bad.  This generation?  Not so much. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »

My knockoff meter tends to go off if the sequel/followup/all-but-in-name sequel goes to a different developer. Presumably Rocksteady wouldn't screw it up.  icon_smile If they do, they're officially a "flash in the pan," rather than a dev you want to trust and always look forward to playing their next work.

Me, I'd rather see them try to work the same magic with a different iconic comic book character (DC or otherwise). That would prove at least a little versatility, in my book.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 13, 2009, 02:26:22 PM

My knockoff meter tends to go off if the sequel/followup/all-but-in-name sequel goes to a different developer. Presumably Rocksteady wouldn't screw it up.  icon_smile If they do, they're officially a "flash in the pan," rather than a dev you want to trust and always look forward to playing their next work.

I'm not so much worried about Rocksteady as Eidos making really poor decisions and forcing them into it.  However with Square-Enix now involved I'm a bit more optimistic. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 13, 2009, 02:49:16 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 13, 2009, 02:26:22 PM

My knockoff meter tends to go off if the sequel/followup/all-but-in-name sequel goes to a different developer. Presumably Rocksteady wouldn't screw it up.  icon_smile If they do, they're officially a "flash in the pan," rather than a dev you want to trust and always look forward to playing their next work.

I'm not so much worried about Rocksteady as Eidos making really poor decisions and forcing them into it.  However with Square-Enix now involved I'm a bit more optimistic. 

Optimisic that we'll be nickled and dimed with DLC that should have been included in the game?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »

I believe the planned DLC includes the cape, cowl, batarangs, and utility belt.

Because initially, you'll run around in tights and a black-painted paper bag over your head.  ninja But still, the DLC is entirely OPTIONAL!  icon_wink

My other thought is BAA2 will consist ENTIRELY of you crawling around conveniently sized air vents and gobbling up bad guys like a muscular Pac-Man. It's only when you buy the DLC that you finally get out of the shaft...
=================
*turns off his snarkiness switch*
Frankly, I'd rather see Bats in a new environment. I dunno where. Maybe they could have Wayne Manor infested with bad guys or something. I don't expect it to become Grand Theft Auto w/ Batman, but I wouldn't want them to see it as an "Arkham Asylum" franchise (where they had to keep setting the game there) rather than as a Batman franchise (that has some freedom to try different environs).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:22:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 14, 2009, 10:21:14 PM

I believe the planned DLC includes the cape, cowl, batarangs, and utility belt.

Because initially, you'll run around in tights and a black-painted paper bag over your head.  ninja But still, the DLC is entirely OPTIONAL!  icon_wink

My other thought is BAA2 will consist ENTIRELY of you crawling around conveniently sized air vents and gobbling up bad guys like a muscular Pac-Man. It's only when you buy the DLC that you finally get out of the shaft...
=================
*turns off his snarkiness switch*
Frankly, I'd rather see Bats in a new environment. I dunno where. Maybe they could have Wayne Manor infested with bad guys or something. I don't expect it to become Grand Theft Auto w/ Batman, but I wouldn't want them to see it as an "Arkham Asylum" franchise (where they had to keep setting the game there) rather than as a Batman franchise (that has some freedom to try different environs).

Actually, it looks like Gotham has become the Asylum, but I wish Joker wasn't the main bad guy in AA2.  Batman has so many great enemies to use

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 14, 2009, 10:58:27 PM

Actually, it looks like Gotham has become the Asylum, but I wish Joker wasn't the main bad guy in AA2.  Batman has so many great enemies to use

Going by the teaser image at the game's website the main villain is probably:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Face
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 04:06:51 AM »

With a lot of the work out of the way with gameplay, controls etc already defined...it shouldn't take so long to put out a good sequel though, right?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:19 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2009, 11:38:41 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Face

What image makes you see this KG?  I don't see one that strikes me like that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 04:45:14 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 15, 2009, 04:09:19 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Face

the Uncle Sam face looks to be half normal/half scarred around the area where it's ripped.  plus look at the hands.  it screams Two face.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:47:32 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 05:18:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 15, 2009, 04:45:14 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Face

the Uncle Sam face looks to be half normal/half scarred around the area where it's ripped.  plus look at the hands.  it screams Two face.

Plus wasn't there a similar poster in Two-Face's cell in Arkham? 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 05:47:10 AM »

Ah ok I see it now.  Yeah KG, there was a similar poster in his cell.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »

Spoiler about the first game:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Didn't they actually mention Two Face in a news report at the end of the first game? I seem to remember something like that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »

Quote from: Lord Percy on December 15, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Didn't they actually mention Two Face in a news report at the end of the first game? I seem to remember something like that.

yes.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 08:12:48 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you checked the IMDB page for the game up until recently, you could see listings for both Harvey Dent and Alfred, none of whom appeared in the original game. I believe they had recorded lines for a DLC scenario featuring them, but they probably ditched that and decided to expand the story into a full sequel. I'm kinda disappointed in this, though having Two Face as a main villain will be fun.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 15, 2009, 04:45:14 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Face

You can also tell by the hat.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 15, 2009, 08:12:48 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you checked the IMDB page for the game up until recently, you could see listings for both Harvey Dent and Alfred, none of whom appeared in the original game. I believe they had recorded lines for a DLC scenario featuring them, but they probably ditched that and decided to expand the story into a full sequel. I'm kinda disappointed in this, though having Two Face as a main villain will be fun.

Did they just have the Batman:TAS actors listed?  You can't always trust IMDB on stuff like that. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 15, 2009, 01:45:15 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 15, 2009, 08:12:48 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Did they just have the Batman:TAS actors listed?  You can't always trust IMDB on stuff like that. 

I don't think so. The roles listed were specifically the roles included in the game, plus the two I mentioned.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »

Yeah but as I recall at some point just prior to the game's release someone just uploaded a list of Batman:TAS actors, assuming they were all the same.  Then the actual roles included in the game eventually got edited but no one bothered to edit out those who weren't in the game. 

The short of it is that you often can't trust IMDB on these things since anyone can edit it. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »

I would really like Catwoman and Penguin to be in the next game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2009, 04:41:01 PM

I would really like Catwoman and Penguin to be in the next game.

I could see Catwoman being a good boss fight, or maybe she could be a replacement for the Riddler with puzzles.  I've never really though much of the Penguin, even in the comics he's been relegated to being another persons lackey.

maybe we'll find out someone like Ras al Ghul is pulling the strings behind these events, tying them together into a third game.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 15, 2009, 04:51:22 PM

maybe we'll find out someone like Ras al Ghul is pulling the strings behind these events, tying them together into a third game.

I didn't check myself, but I've heard if you go back to the morgue after you beat the first game, his body is gone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 15, 2009, 02:54:23 PM

Yeah but as I recall at some point just prior to the game's release someone just uploaded a list of Batman:TAS actors, assuming they were all the same.  Then the actual roles included in the game eventually got edited but no one bothered to edit out those who weren't in the game. 

The short of it is that you often can't trust IMDB on these things since anyone can edit it. 

Spoilering my reply since it mentions characters from the Batman universe that don't appear in the first game.
Spoiler for Hiden:
A little flaw to your theory: Catwoman, Batgirl, The Penguin, Mr Freeze, and many other characters weren't in the list I'm talking about. The only ones (believe me, I checked) that weren't in the game among the roles listed were Harvey Dent and Alfred. Of course, since the IMDB page has been edited since then (possibly by request of the publisher), I won't be able to prove it. Just trust me when I say I checked it thoroughly at the time in order to see what was coming in DLC packs.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2009, 04:55:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 15, 2009, 04:51:22 PM

I didn't check myself, but I've heard if you go back to the morgue after you beat the first game, his body is gone.

I can verify this. It's part of a riddle too.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 06:56:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 15, 2009, 06:51:25 PM

Spoilering my reply since it mentions characters from the Batman universe that don't appear in the first game.
Spoiler for Hiden:
A little flaw to your theory: Catwoman, Batgirl, The Penguin, Mr Freeze, and many other characters weren't in the list I'm talking about. The only ones (believe me, I checked) that weren't in the game among the roles listed were Harvey Dent and Alfred. Of course, since the IMDB page has been edited since then (possibly by request of the publisher), I won't be able to prove it. Just trust me when I say I checked it thoroughly at the time in order to see what was coming in DLC packs.

No, I believe you that they were on it.  I just don't necessarilly believe that whoever made the IMDB entry had some kind of inside info about DLC or anything.  I'm too lazy too dig it up but I recall a discussion somewhere (perhaps on QT3) at the time that indicated there were several mistakes in the IMDB cast list that made it seem like someone had put erroneous information information based on the cast list from TAS.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 15, 2009, 06:51:25 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 15, 2009, 02:54:23 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mr Freeze doesn't appear in the game, but you clearly see his ice covered cell in Arkham, iirc.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 15, 2009, 07:24:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mr Freeze doesn't appear in the game, but you clearly see his ice covered cell in Arkham, iirc.
[/quote]

The same goes for almost all the others I mentioned. I'm not talking about homages in the game though. I'm talking about actual, speaking roles.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 15, 2009, 07:51:55 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on December 15, 2009, 07:24:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

The same goes for almost all the others I mentioned. I'm not talking about homages in the game though. I'm talking about actual, speaking roles.
[/quote]

Ah ok
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »

A litte analysis of the trailer, with some speculation about what is shown:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-pop-block-batman-arkham/60076
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 04:07:55 AM »

this could be mark Hamill's last outing as the Joker?  I guess they'll just have to get some bigger buckets of cash  icon_wink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »

possible names for the sequel.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 04:30:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2010, 10:27:40 PM

whoah, took a few seconds to realize why that page looked different- silly iPhone version of the page  icon_lol

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:57 PM »

Gamespot has some interesting excerpts from the Arkham Asylum art director's recent talk at a developer conference:
Arkham Asylum art director talks mistakes
The Detective Vision mode, which gave the player a major advantage but obscured the game's painstakingly unique art direction, was "very powerful," but in keeping with Batman's high-technology arsenal, said Hego.

"It was a gameplay decision to make detective vision so strong...we're going to try not to do that mistake again." Hego added that Rocksteady would "make it more like augmented reality next time," shedding some light on how detective vision might be toned down and adapted for the studio's next Batman game.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 02:16:05 AM »

God I hope they don't go making it run on a "battery" or something like that.  Being able to use that detective mode whenever and for however long I wanted was very liberating.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: