http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman : Arkham Asylum  (Read 48993 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:46 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 26, 2009, 01:38:34 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 26, 2009, 01:34:45 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 26, 2009, 01:13:08 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 26, 2009, 12:54:46 AM

A note about the melee weapon carrying enemies...

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you use the Bat Claw on the stunners, they will drop the baton when they fall.  It will stay there and others can pick it up.  Just don't stay in the path when they're staggering toward you, as you will still take a hit if they run into you. 

The knife guys will still have their knives after they get up, but you can assault them from the front when they're staggering. 

In either case, the throw and take down combos are unbreakable from any direction against either of them.  And the stunner take down is just fun to watch...   icon_biggrin

But

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you use the claw on the stunners they still shock you when they're being pulled in.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I routinely opened the Shock and Awe challenge by clawing a group with a stunner over it and then moving off in another direction to attack someone else.  You can also use the jump to dive out of the way.  It is possible to avoid having a stunner stagger into you with a little bit of work.

Truth.

Yup. And the stunner take down had me roaring with laughter every time I did it. Oh, it just owns.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 18, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 26, 2009, 02:03:46 AM

Yup. And the stunner take down had me roaring with laughter every time I did it. Oh, it just owns.

Not sure I've seen a particular "stunner take down" while playing so far.  Is there a special way to do it, or is it a move you get later on?  I'm currently looking for Killer Croc's "cell" for some herb I'm hoping he'll sell me.   icon_wink 

I just got back into the game after playing non-stop MW2 for a while, and while I thought Batman was pretty kick-ass when I first started, it surprisingly continues to get even better.  Amazing, amazing game.  It has to be good to get my away from MW2 and keep me away even despite MW2 invites.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 18, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »

It's the two-button combo that results in a finishing takedown, just a different animation for the stunners.  It's the one that's not the throw.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 18, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 18, 2009, 05:44:34 PM

It's the two-button combo that results in a finishing takedown, just a different animation for the stunners.  It's the one that's not the throw.

Do you get a prompt like with the throw when you reach a certain number of combos?  It seems I can only throw enemies when I reach a certain chain of combos and I get a button prompt.  I'm wondering if I'll get the same for the takedown and just haven't unlocked it yet. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 18, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »

Yeah, it's an unlockable called the Special Combo Takedown and will give you a prompt.  From research, you need an 8x combo, but once you take the unlockable Special Combo Boost, that and the throw go down to 5x.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: December 18, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »

Oh, and for the record?  The challenges are not fun.  They've just been exercises in frustration for me so far.   disgust

Some of the fighting challenges I haven't even been able to finish.  I'm not so comfortable with the attack combos and timing, and the challenges seem to focus on the aspects of the game I struggle with.  Doubt I'll spend much time with it outside of the main storyline.  Shock and Awe requires a minimum of 10,000 points to get a single batarang.  I earned 7,200 and that was a "personal best".  30,000 for three batarangs?  retard

In the first challenge, "Intensive Treatment", I can't score more than 6400.  Autistic Angel has over 46,000.  I don't think I can even begin to understand how that's possible. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:17:46 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 18, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »

It takes a bit of re-training to get into the challenges and I also wouldn't recommend trying them until you have almost everything unlocked.  This game is not a button masher.  You need to time your button presses so that you flow smoothly from one attack to the next.  If you just hammer on the controller like a QT event, you will not get a good experience out of it.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 18, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »

Holy shit!  I have a question for those who have played through the game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While going through a hallway in Intensive Treatment some gas was sprayed into the room and all of a sudden the screen scrambled and turned funny colors as if my Xbox just shit the bed.  Sound was scrambled, the screen got all wonky, and I thought, "Fuck.  There goes my 360."  Then it cut to Scarecrow's face in place of the bat signal, Joker was driving the Batmobile with Batman tied up in the passenger seat, and the screen kept glitching with funny colors and sound clips as if there is a hardware problem.  And now I'm playing as the Joker with Batman tied up and screaming that he's not crazy. 

My question is, were the glitches supposed to happen and are they part of the game?  I want to think so, I really want to think so, but I want to make sure.

My heart can't take shit like this.  Especially when I'm out of booze.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 18, 2009, 07:04:01 PM »

Yes, all of that is part of the game.  icon_wink
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 18, 2009, 07:07:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 18, 2009, 07:04:01 PM

Yes, all of that is part of the game.  icon_wink

Jesus christ.   icon_eek

Brilliant.  But I wasn't ready for that.   paranoid

Spoiler for Hiden:
Thank goodness my Xbox is far enough away and shock kept me sitting long enough so that I didn't have enough time to turn it off before the rest of the cutscene played out.  That will certainly be a part of the game I remember fondly.  Once I get over the initial shock.   icon_lol
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:09:34 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »

Glad I could help provide you with a panic attack, Pete!   icon_lol

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 18, 2009, 08:06:22 PM »

Yep that part freaked us all out biggrin

As for the challenges, I love love loved the takeout challenges.  I liked the combat ones, but they got to be so difficult at the end, it was crazy.  The takeout ones were awesome to try and take guards out in different ways, I wish I had used some methods when I played through.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 18, 2009, 08:06:22 PM

Yeah, that part was really scary to play on a console with a high failure rate.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 18, 2009, 08:15:38 PM »

I wonder if they're going to try something like that in AA2, maybe figure out a way to get the actual RRoD to flash this time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 18, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on December 18, 2009, 08:08:55 PM

I played Batman on the PS3 and I still sheet my drawers during that bit.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: December 18, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

Not me. I played it on the PS3. slywink
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #896 on: December 18, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 18, 2009, 08:15:38 PM

I wonder if they're going to try something like that in AA2, maybe figure out a way to get the actual RRoD to flash this time.

That whole sequence was just masterful.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 18, 2009, 08:53:02 PM

Not me. I played it on the PS3. slywink

I played it on my PC and even though I knew it was coming, I still freaked out when it happened. A little.  paranoid

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 18, 2009, 08:15:38 PM

That would be freakin hilarious.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: December 18, 2009, 11:20:56 PM »

Played it on PC and I had recently upgraded hardware.  I freaked out a little.  Tongue
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: December 19, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on December 18, 2009, 08:08:55 PM

i experienced that part of the game two days after i received my 360 back from repairs for the RROD.  needless to say, i was more than a little pissed for a few seconds until the rest of the scene played out...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 19, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »

I found this article to be pretty good.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1056385p1.html

Wake up.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #902 on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:01 AM »

I wonder if there are any good freakout vids online of that BAA moment?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 19, 2009, 04:16:22 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 18, 2009, 06:31:32 PM

It takes a bit of re-training to get into the challenges and I also wouldn't recommend trying them until you have almost everything unlocked.  This game is not a button masher.  You need to time your button presses so that you flow smoothly from one attack to the next.  If you just hammer on the controller like a QT event, you will not get a good experience out of it.

Absolutely stay away from the challenges until you have a good feel on combat. Or, conversely, try the first challenge until you feel comfortable with the ebb and flow of combat. Don't aim for the score, just get a feeling for how combat works in the game. The challenges are for when you finish. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 19, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 19, 2009, 04:16:22 AM

It takes a bit of re-training to get into the challenges and I also wouldn't recommend trying them until you have almost everything unlocked.  This game is not a button masher.  You need to time your button presses so that you flow smoothly from one attack to the next.  If you just hammer on the controller like a QT event, you will not get a good experience out of it.

Absolutely stay away from the challenges until you have a good feel on combat. Or, conversely, try the first challenge until you feel comfortable with the ebb and flow of combat. Don't aim for the score, just get a feeling for how combat works in the game. The challenges are for when you finish. smile

After being frustrated by some of the combat challenges I for some reason couldn't stop playing and managed to get a slightly higher score.  I'm learning a bit more about timing my button presses and reading the actions of my enemies (if they charge you can pretty much assume you'll be able to use a counter), and a few times I managed to earn multipliers of 15 or 20, but after that I find it really hard to keep the combos going.  

I'm starting to see how the challenges can be do-able, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to get anywhere near the triple-batarang scores.  

Currently 68% through the main storyline with over 75% of the Riddler's riddles and trophies found and what a hell of a ride.  Just finished the Killer Croc section and while it was light on heavy-duty combat it was a nice change of pace in terms of sneaking around, dodging attacks, and the tension was well done as well.  After playing MW2 for a bit and then coming back to Batman:AA, Batman could very well be my game of the year.  It is simply amazing and near perfect in every way.

And if it wasn't for Isgrimnur I wouldn't have ever experienced it.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 19, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 19, 2009, 03:28:43 PM

Currently 68% through the main storyline with over 75% of the Riddler's riddles and trophies found and what a hell of a ride.  Just finished the Killer Croc section and while it was light on heavy-duty combat it was a nice change of pace in terms of sneaking around, dodging attacks, and the tension was well done as well.  After playing MW2 for a bit and then coming back to Batman:AA, Batman could very well be my game of the year.  It is simply amazing and near perfect in every way.

FWIW, that completion percentage includes all of the challenges, riddles, collectibles, etc.  If you just finished Killer Croc you are probably 80-85% of the way through the storyline. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 19, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »

And if it wasn't for Isgrimnur I wouldn't have ever experienced it.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

icon_biggrin

Friends don't let friends not play Batman: Arkham Asylum!

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 20, 2009, 04:54:59 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 19, 2009, 04:16:22 AM

It takes a bit of re-training to get into the challenges and I also wouldn't recommend trying them until you have almost everything unlocked.  This game is not a button masher.  You need to time your button presses so that you flow smoothly from one attack to the next.  If you just hammer on the controller like a QT event, you will not get a good experience out of it.

After being frustrated by some of the combat challenges I for some reason couldn't stop playing and managed to get a slightly higher score.  I'm learning a bit more about timing my button presses and reading the actions of my enemies (if they charge you can pretty much assume you'll be able to use a counter), and a few times I managed to earn multipliers of 15 or 20, but after that I find it really hard to keep the combos going.  

I'm starting to see how the challenges can be do-able, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to get anywhere near the triple-batarang scores.  

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the key to the high point scores is rolling though all 10 combat moves on each stage of combat. Learn each of the moves individually, then try stringing a few together. Sooner or later it will click and you'll run up massive combo scores. It feels sooooo awesome when you do. smile

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 20, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »

The real advice for combat challenges is not to do them until you unlock all the weapons.  An upgraded batclaw makes all the difference in the world in that regard.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 20, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 20, 2009, 06:54:13 PM

The real advice for combat challenges is not to do them until you unlock all the weapons.  An upgraded batclaw makes all the difference in the world in that regard.

Maybe if all you want to do is try and gain ranks...but if you want to use the the challenges to get used to combat and help you develop skills, then by all means don't wait. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #910 on: December 21, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »

Yeah, the first challenge is great for learning the basics of group combat.  Playing through that a few times really improved my play for the rest of the game.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 21, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 20, 2009, 09:27:19 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 20, 2009, 06:54:13 PM

Maybe if all you want to do is try and gain ranks...but if you want to use the the challenges to get used to combat and help you develop skills, then by all means don't wait. 

True.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 22, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

Finished the SP storyline last night.

icon_eek

Fantastic.  No other way to describe it.  The game was nearly flawless.

Found every one of the Riddler's trophys, riddles, clues, etc as well.  I was pleasantly surprised that there's even a nice little surprise waiting for you.

Because I wasn't ready to be completely finished with Batman just yet I went back to the challenges and found that with a little practice the attack strings got a little easier to string together.  And I finally did the stun baton takedown.   icon_lol  Love it, love it, love it.   icon_twisted

I find I am much better at the stealth challenges than the brawling challenges, especially when I'm hit with a cheap shot like a piece of debris tossed by an enemy or am shot from off screen.   disgust  But, I still wound up playing for a few more hours beyond just finishing the storyline and the Riddler trophies.  Not sure if I'll ever earn 100% completion on the game, especially with how high the score totals go for the extreme fighting challenges  icon_eek, but what a hell of a ride it was.

Thanks Isgrimnur.  It would have been a real shame to have missed such an amazing game. 

That's probably the last of my gaming until the new year as we leave for Pittsburgh tomorrow morning.  Not a bad way to finish up 2009.  See you all on the flipside.  Cheers.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 22, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »

I am very glad you enjoyed it.  And yeah, it's short enough that the challenges become something that you have to try.  I didn't get to 100% completion, but I did get the silver medals for both predator and combat challenges.  There were a few nights where I sat there for hours playing the same ones over and over to finally get three bats.  Whatever you do, don't look at Kato's challenge scores...   saywhat  He's like a machine!

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »

When I was playing it I wish there had been a way to turn off the Joker's intro the fight.  It got so old repeating it every time my combo chain broke on the first level of a challenge...which was A LOT.

Have fun with Shock and Awe extreme!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: December 27, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 31, 2009, 10:32:16 PM

I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but is there any particular reason why the guys at GiantBomb seem so sour on this game?  Ryan Davis in particular is acting like Kevin Conroy personally replaced his regular coffee with dried flaking moose crap.

In a new video about his Top Ten Games of 2009, Davis included Arkham Asylum and all but apologized for being so down on the game when it first came out.  He said he was really turned off by the amount of pre-release hype and was extremely skeptical, but the game totally won him over on the merits.

I can understand that.  I was so skeptical of games like Thief: The Dark Project, FarCry, and Final Fantasy XII that I was slow to give them a fair chance.

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 16, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »

GOTY edition on its way?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 16, 2010, 05:50:10 PM »

I need to go back and get the rest of the tapes.  the audio logs were one of the highlights of the game for me.  i keep thinking i'll trade the game in, but then i remember all the riddles i missed, the aforementioned tapes and the challenges and i realize i probably will have this game until the day i die.   icon_biggrin

the only other games i do that for are the GTA games, Dead Rising and a select other few that i like to revisit every now and then because the game is so darn fun. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 17, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »

I just fired this up again yesterday and started a new game on Hard. Holy crap is it so much more awesome. The bad guys are tougher, i.e. you have to take them down via ground pound or breaking a limb or beating them for a long time, and you don't see the Y icon appear when you're about to get hit. So situational awareness is critical. Plus, when you get hit it really hurts. Holy crap is it awesome! smile I'm enjoying it much more the second time because I'm not playing the game almost entirely on detective mode so I'm experiencing the sheer beauty of the graphics. The boss fights are really tough and I'm about to hit Poison Ivy, which is a fight I'm not looking forward to. The only other fight that concerns me is the one just prior to Joker at the end. That one is going to majorly suck on Hard. Otherwise, I'm still loving it. smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #919 on: January 10, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »

LTTP - I played AA up to the first Cain battle just before Arkham City was out, and after my reinstall (which will, sadly, be shelved as soon as I manage to get my grubby paws on a beta Windows8), so I figured I'd replay it.

With SSD, a 460 GT (had a 5770 last year) and double the RAM, I bumped everything up and WOW. Wow. 2009, you say? Wow.

Anyways, I'm just into my second Scarecrow encounter (the one that happens in the alleyway).

I need to find more riddler stuff to raise my XP. Having almost completely covered every aspect of Arkham City, this is a little less exciting, but fun none-the-less.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: