http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 04:07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman : Arkham Asylum  (Read 46903 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: September 04, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 04, 2009, 03:39:29 PM

Questions about riddles:

After the final boss can you still wander and/or

If you restart the game, are all the riddles you solved still in tact or does it reset the game environment?

I'm thinking it should be like GOW COG tags...in you find them once, they're found...but I'm not sure.

No New Game+ so you will have to redo everything on a replay.  However after beating the game you can choose to continue your original save and find all the secrets on the island that you missed. 
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »

I have completed the only challenge I have unlocked, which is Silent Knight. I got 3:44 and was pretty proud of that ... until I saw the f'ing leaderboards.

The world leader on that map is ... 00:23.13

Yeah, he enters the map and gets 6 armed thug takedowns across a big room ... in twenty-three seconds. WTF? Is there a secret "explode the entire map" gadget I'm not aware of?
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »

I don't get that either. Some of those times/scores are highly suspect. I wish there was a way of viewing actual replays of the top leaderboard ones to see how they achieved the scores they did.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »

Well doing the challenges was the key to getting combat totally dialed in.  I got a 39 streak yesterday.

Also, do you guys spend most of your time in detective mode?  I find it's so good I barely ever switch out of it.  I feel like I am missing out because I am not looking at the graphics.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 04, 2009, 04:17:35 PM

Well doing the challenges was the key to getting combat totally dialed in.  I got a 39 streak yesterday.

Also, do you guys spend most of your time in detective mode?  I find it's so good I barely ever switch out of it.  I feel like I am missing out because I am not looking at the graphics.

I'm in D-mode about 80% of the time, at least.

Leo ... did you just say you got a combat multiplier of 39x  icon_eek  I thought I had made some progress after Bane, but last night I went back to sucking again.  disgust

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 04, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »

Okay, question on a riddle:

Spoiler for Hiden:
This is only the second riddle you get, right after ID'ing the painting of the warden. It's somewhere in that Intensive Treatment room and it's about how sometimes a puzzle isn't entirely revealed, or something. Anyway, I scan the room and in one area I get "partially decoded" but can't get more than that. WTF?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 04, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 04, 2009, 04:35:08 PM

Okay, question on a riddle:

Spoiler for Hiden:
This is only the second riddle you get, right after ID'ing the painting of the warden. It's somewhere in that Intensive Treatment room and it's about how sometimes a puzzle isn't entirely revealed, or something. Anyway, I scan the room and in one area I get "partially decoded" but can't get more than that. WTF?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think this is the one with the question mark that is in one of the windows of that central tower. 

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

Quote from: spigot on September 04, 2009, 04:14:49 PM

I don't get that either. Some of those times/scores are highly suspect. I wish there was a way of viewing actual replays of the top leaderboard ones to see how they achieved the scores they did.
YouTube?

I was a little freaked when I started the game.  I was getting a horizontal screen tear during the opening cinematic and the Half-Life opening.  Luckily, it disappeared once I started playing the game. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 04, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 04, 2009, 04:59:24 PM

YouTube?

Good idea. I checked and the first few I looked at were 3:21 and 2:xx'something. One thing I noticed was that whatever gadgets you have in the main game, is what you bring into the challenge rooms. So obviously, more gadgets = better time.

I'll keep looking and see if I can find the >1 minute completions. What I'm guessing is that they sprayed gel in 2-3 places and took down all guards at once, which would be helped by fortunate A.I. patrol placement.

This video shows the guy taking down 4 of the 6 guards with 3 explosive placements
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 04, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »

Nailed a 45x combo streak on one of the challenges last night. Another achievement down, although I'm skeptical of my ability to nail the perfect combo. I don't even know what all the moves are!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 04, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on September 04, 2009, 05:33:38 PM

Nailed a 45x combo streak on one of the challenges last night. Another achievement down, although I'm skeptical of my ability to nail the perfect combo. I don't even know what all the moves are!

xbox360achievements.org is your pal

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173283

Freeflow Perfection - 10
Perform a perfect combo including all of Batman's combat moves (any play
mode)

This is one of the harder achievements, this may be easier in the challenge modes where you can practice and take on various amounts of enemies. You may find the visitor center the easiest spot in story mode to earn this as none of the enemies will have weapons before you face The Joker.

Some of these will require you to upgrade Batman's combo skills, earn XP from killing enemies or finding/solving the Riddler challenges.

Basic Combo:
X- Strike
Y- Counter
A-Tap Twice - Evade
LT-Tap Once - Quick Batarang
RT-Tap Twice - Quick Batclaw

Upgraded Combo:
B- Stun
RT+Y - Ground Takedown
A+X - Throw
B+Y - Takedown

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »

Just finished the story and what an absolutely fantastic game!!!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The end bit with the Joker was really cheesy, but the rest of the game was triple-A quality.

So many little things that made the world alive.

Combat was awesome, exploring was awesome, platforming was awesome.  The gadgets were awesome.  The suit getting ripped as you progress was awesome.  The riddler stuff is awesome.  The many references and appearances of bad guys was awesome.  So much awesome in one game!!

Who is Rocksteady again?  Bravo to them, I hope they all reap the rewards of such a fantastic offering.  Especially for a comic book game.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »

I've performed every move on that list in a continuous combo streak on many occasions *except* Quick Batclaw.  There's something about the timing on that move I don't get yet, so it tends breaks my multiplier flow or get me punched in the head.

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2009, 09:05:16 PM

looks like there are 3 different 'teasers' after the ending credits:

Spoiler for Hiden:

I'm not sure how you end up with a certain one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Odd I got the Killer Croc one...I guess they are all coming back for more!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »

Finished the game.  It as like the Batman version of Die Hard.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Considering Batman doesn't kill his opponents, they'll all be back at some point.  Plus they left quite a few well known villains out of the game, perfect for a sequel.  Considering how well this game is doing, they might actually get the funding and time to do a bigger scale (but not open world) batman game in Gotham itself.

Loved the Scarecrow segments, especially the mindfreak that makes you think your system has crashed.  Awesome.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »

The way many of you are reacting to the Scarecrow segments makes it obvious to me that many of you missed the superlative Eternal Darkness for the gamecube. You seriously need to play the game. If you are one of many around here who owns a Wii that is "collecting dust" and haven't played it then I command you to go get Eternal Darkness and play it right now. I am not sure if I have played any game since Eternal Darkness that is as good, and if I have I could probably count them on one hand. While I very much enjoyed the Scarecrow segments - my main basis of enjoyment was that they reminded me fondly of Eternal Darkness.

I finished the game the other night. I thought it was an awesome blend of what I love about Zelda and Metroid but set in a cool Batman universe. I found the boss fights and some of the key fights to be the weakest part of the game as they were generally hard, frustrating, and not overly compelling. Still, that's a minor complaint for what is a superb game. I still need to solve about 60 or so riddles, so I will be spending more time with it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 04, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »

Agreed about Eternal Darkness.  And said as much in a spoilered reply at the end of the previous page.  biggrin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:12:15 AM by Chaz » Logged

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2009, 01:48:02 AM »

Huh... I have both a Wii That Is Collecting Dust and a copy of Eternal Darkness, which is still deep in my eternal backlog. Guess I need to move it up to the front of the queue.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2009, 06:17:27 PM »

Quote from: spigot on September 04, 2009, 03:12:20 PM

I loved that one part of the game where
Spoiler for Hiden:
the screen freezes for a moment, some weird scan lines appear, sound cuts out and I freak out thinking I'm getting a RROD and
you think your hardware has gone tits-up.

Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing.  Freaked me out

now I'm stuck just after that...

Spoiler for Hiden:
i wake up in a graveyard, I see my self in jail, and pass myself eating a rat.  I'm stuck when scarecrow appears.  There's a walkway with part of it missing, the timing of scarecrow's light is too fast for me to make it across and find cover.  I tried hanging on the ledge and I still get caught.  i tried using gadgets and it won't attach to anything.  I can't find a video to help me along Tongue 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:22:49 PM by naednek » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2009, 06:50:16 PM »

I remember there's one of those sections where

Spoiler for Hiden:
you need to drop down into a pit-looking thing, then pull down a block which raises the platform up.  Or something like that.

No idea if that's the section you're on.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 05, 2009, 06:17:27 PM

Quote from: spigot on September 04, 2009, 03:12:20 PM

I loved that one part of the game where
Spoiler for Hiden:
the screen freezes for a moment, some weird scan lines appear, sound cuts out and I freak out thinking I'm getting a RROD and
you think your hardware has gone tits-up.

Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing.  Freaked me out

now I'm stuck just after that...

Spoiler for Hiden:
i wake up in a graveyard, I see my self in jail, and pass myself eating a rat.  I'm stuck when scarecrow appears.  There's a walkway with part of it missing, the timing of scarecrow's light is too fast for me to make it across and find cover.  I tried hanging on the ledge and I still get caught.  i tried using gadgets and it won't attach to anything.  I can't find a video to help me along Tongue 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is that the part where you have to use the grapple to pull down a crate and make yourself some cover?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »

no, I figured it out, it was my own doing, it's timing based, and I was just too slow.

This game gets better and better as I play.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »

Finished last night on Normal, solved all the riddles, now I'm ready to move on to challenges.  I don't see how people can get such high scores on the combat, can never seem to keep the combo going.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Scarecrow's hand came out at the end of the credits.  I think I had around 75% or so done, I hadn't finished all the Riddler challenges in the Penitentiary area since it's where you have the boss fight against Joker.  I had to go back after and get all those, plus get World's Greatest Detective.  Does the Armored Batsuit change anything, or is it just for looks?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 06, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on September 06, 2009, 12:15:02 PM

Finished last night on Normal, solved all the riddles, now I'm ready to move on to challenges.  I don't see how people can get such high scores on the combat, can never seem to keep the combo going.

Join the club. Well I finally unlocked the Sewer Bat challenge, so that makes for some excellent melee practice. I spent close to an hour in there last night, then went back into the game and did a good bit better. I still have a lot of trouble maintaining combos though. I press the Counter button way more than I should.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 06, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

Yeah that was like the Resident Evil 5 leaderboards where people were beating the entire game in 4 minutes.  Typically they were all Japanese players.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »

I've started doing the predator challenger for the bat trophies, and man there's some moves they have you do that I never even knew about while playing the game.  Very fun to try these different tactics.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 06, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »

Finished it last night on Easy (I usually play everything on Easy, because I don't want to get frustrated playing a game)...

For me, a good indication that I loved the game is the fact that I finished it at all... I probably finish about 20% of the games I start...Of those, many of them I end up cheating through just to finish the story or because the cheating is fun. smile

No cheats with this one, but I did use the strat guide to help find some riddler puzzles.....

I ended up staying late a few times to play just one more section....

I am at 83% complete...the only thing left are some of the challenges....

Awesome game! I think I would like an open world/GTA/Crackdown type game like this would be great... An overall plot, plus lots of random encounters. Maybe even have some of the minor criminals be random encouters/side missions....
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »

On my quest to collect/solve all the Riddler challenges I have hit a brick wall in Arkham Mansion. I apparently still need 3 Joker teeth. Peeking at some guides it doesn't appear any of them are hidden or anything, but I have been all over the mansion and can't find any teeth any where. Are there 3 that take some trick to spot?

-John

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 07, 2009, 12:40:08 AM

On my quest to collect/solve all the Riddler challenges I have hit a brick wall in Arkham Mansion. I apparently still need 3 Joker teeth. Peeking at some guides it doesn't appear any of them are hidden or anything, but I have been all over the mansion and can't find any teeth any where. Are there 3 that take some trick to spot?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had the same thing...I only had 3 teeth left to complete everything and it took forever... Go back to the wardens office and start looking up... there is a 2nd floor....
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 07, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on September 06, 2009, 09:16:03 PM

Awesome game! I think I would like an open world/GTA/Crackdown type game like this would be great... An overall plot, plus lots of random encounters. Maybe even have some of the minor criminals be random encouters/side missions....

couldn't disagree more - remove the complexity & detail of arkham asylum, & you remove much of what gives the game the character & depth it has...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 07, 2009, 04:20:37 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 07, 2009, 01:30:48 AM

couldn't disagree more - remove the complexity & detail of arkham asylum, & you remove much of what gives the game the character & depth it has...

Go into AA, I felt like Punisher, but I now think semi is absolutely right.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 07, 2009, 04:20:37 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on September 07, 2009, 01:30:48 AM

Go into AA, I felt like Punisher, but I now think semi is absolutely right.

Well, since this game has been successful, there is no reason they couldn't make Gotham just a bigger AA. we already have random encounters, you can go back and forth everywhere, so that is open world like, etc...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on September 07, 2009, 11:43:58 AM

we already have random encounters.

No we don't. There are no random encounters in Arkham Asylum.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »

Finished the game yesterday.  240/240 on ?s and riddles.  I've done everything but the challenges and honestly, I don't feel compelled to do those.  Everything else?  You betcha.  biggrin    Awesome game.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 07, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on September 07, 2009, 01:03:49 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had the same thing...I only had 3 teeth left to complete everything and it took forever... Go back to the wardens office and start looking up... there is a 2nd floor....

Thanks I had a feeling those teeth were in there, but I just... couldn't.... find... them.

I finished up last night with all riddles solved, and World's Greatest Detective achievement (the challenges aren't really my thing). I am tempted to play through again, but I'll wait for a while. Fantastic game, that wasn't even remotely on my radar until I started hearing raves about the demo. Always nice for a surprise to come around - particularly this year which I have found to be sucky, to put it mildly.

-John

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 07, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »

Got a good solid hour with it yesterday and got the morgue. It totally lived up to expectation though the resolution was a bit...anti-climactic.

In any event, the game is really growing on me. I'm trying to be a bit more deliberate in my combat moves and it seems to be paying off.

Beat the first real boss I think...and it's making me wish I new more about all the bad guys going in. I know there's the story segments, but to have a history with them would be cool too.

Very very fun. I just wish- at this point- there was more combat with 5 or more guys. smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 07, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 07, 2009, 03:52:43 PM

Very very fun. I just wish- at this point- there was more combat with 5 or more guys. smile

Don't worry. You'll soon get your wish. My suggestion would be to do enough Riddler stuff to unlock the Sewer Bat challenge room, in which you can practice melee combat to your heart's content.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 07, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on September 07, 2009, 03:54:51 PM

Don't worry. You'll soon get your wish. My suggestion would be to do enough Riddler stuff to unlock the Sewer Bat challenge room, in which you can practice melee combat to your heart's content.

Ya, I'm up to the Poison Ivy section now and there hasn't been many big "epic" battles in the story portion of the game. I find that the challenge rooms are where the fighting is most fun.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 07, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on September 07, 2009, 03:56:25 PM

Quote from: Jeff on September 07, 2009, 03:54:51 PM

Ya, I'm up to the Poison Ivy section now and there hasn't been many big "epic" battles in the story portion of the game. I find that the challenge rooms are where the fighting is most fun.

I'm in the exact same spot!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 07, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 07, 2009, 12:03:45 PM

Quote from: Punisher on September 07, 2009, 11:43:58 AM

we already have random encounters.

No we don't. There are no random encounters in Arkham Asylum.
I stand corrected... Well, we have encounters that happen while running around that are planned.... Close enough.. smile
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: