http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 11:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman : Arkham Asylum  (Read 48469 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 03, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »

There are some issues with the combat that led me to simply muscle my way through most of it. You can't break animations so, for example, if you go for a silent takedown and a nearby enemy notices and begins shooting you, you're pretty much dead because you ain't getting out of that long takedown animation until it's done. It would have been easier if he just snapped their necks.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 03, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 03, 2009, 05:46:20 PM

There are some issues with the combat that led me to simply muscle my way through most of it. You can't break animations so, for example, if you go for a silent takedown and a nearby enemy notices and begins shooting you, you're pretty much dead because you ain't getting out of that long takedown animation until it's done. It would have been easier if he just snapped their necks.

Bats can't kill though!  It's his deal!!  Silly B-man.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2009, 05:47:56 PM »

Hey guys, the progress % on your save profile...is that for story completion or total game, including items found etc?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »

Why is that an issue?  It's a silent takedown.  If you got noticed you are doing it wrong.  
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 03, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 03, 2009, 05:47:56 PM

Hey guys, the progress % on your save profile...is that for story completion or total game, including items found etc?

Total game including Riddler Challenges, techniques unlocked, challenges completed etc.  Story completion is probably only 60%. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 03, 2009, 05:49:36 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on September 03, 2009, 05:47:56 PM

Total game including Riddler Challenges, techniques unlocked, challenges completed etc.  Story completion is probably only 60%. 

Darn I was afraid of that...thanks KG
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2009, 05:58:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 03, 2009, 05:48:53 PM

Why is that an issue?  It's a silent takedown.  If you got noticed you are doing it wrong.  

It happens, sometimes you assess a situation incorrectly and a patrolling enemy walks up as you initiated the takedown. You should be able to cancel the takedown and hightail it outta there... The same goes for opening vents.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2009, 11:07:23 PM »

I see not many people have been able to survive the 4th challenge, took me about 5 retries myself  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 04, 2009, 01:40:31 AM »

This game is sitting in my living room right now, newly purchased.

Wait, what the hell am I doing here talking to you people?!?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 04, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 04, 2009, 01:40:31 AM

This game is sitting in my living room right now, newly purchased.

Wait, what the hell am I doing here talking to you people?!?

lol
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 04, 2009, 02:11:30 AM »

Hated this boss fight

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Poison Ivy fight was so cheesey I almost stopped playing.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 04, 2009, 02:21:54 AM »

finished, with just a few more riddles to find...

not my goty so far (my demon's souls 'experience' still surpasses anything else), but, as an example of everything i've always loved about third-person action/adventures, b:aa is right up there near the top of the all-time heap: strong story, characters, & environments (the asylum itself pretty much steals the show), some unique fundamentals, like detective mode & the combat system, plus this almost perfect distillation of a number of elements from previous games in the genre ends up equaling a truly classic, frequently over-the-top, very enjoyable joyride...

rocksteady should be very pleased with themselves, & it's great that they were given the time they needed to pour as much love & detail into this as they have. my toughest boss battle was
Spoiler for Hiden:
poison ivy?! - don't know why, but it took me a number of tries to get into a groove...

oh, yeah - & at the end 
Spoiler for Hiden:
i got killer croc smile ...

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 04, 2009, 02:11:30 AM

Hated this boss fight

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Poison Ivy fight was so cheesey I almost stopped playing.   

+1! smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 04, 2009, 03:37:34 AM »

I haven't finished the main story yet because I've been spending way too much time in the challenge rooms.  On the plus side, I *finally* eked out a better score than USMC Kato in the first one, so I made this to celebrate.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:42:17 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 04, 2009, 04:35:31 AM »

How is the Poison Ivy fight cheesy? I thought it was one of the more interesting fights.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 04, 2009, 04:43:20 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 04, 2009, 04:35:31 AM

How is the Poison Ivy fight cheesy? I thought it was one of the more interesting fights.

it was pretty formulaic in my opinion:

Spoiler for Hiden:
hit her 3 times, dodging two 'fireballs' every now and then and then a rapid burst of a dozen or so when you hit here, then beat up her infinite supply of guards while dodging her area of effect attack until she rises up in the air again, repeat several times until you can hit her with the Batsplosive gel, repeat a couple of more times.  after Poison Ivy takes over the island is when the game went Joel Schumacher/Akiva Goldsman in my book.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 04, 2009, 04:47:34 AM »

Man.  Does it seem like the guy who does Spike's voice from Cowboy Bebop does the voice for every third character you meet?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:46 AM »

Quote from: warning on September 04, 2009, 04:47:34 AM

Man.  Does it seem like the guy who does Spike's voice from Cowboy Bebop does the voice for every third character you meet?

speaking of voices, looking at the IMDB cast list there are parts listed that I don't remember being in the game, like:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Richard Moll as Two Face/Harvey Dent and Efrem Zimbalist Jr as Alfred Pennyworth.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 04, 2009, 05:01:51 AM »

I currently am enjoying his work as Roger Smith in The Big O.  Any guy that can play Yakky Doodle is okay in my book.  Steve Blum

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:25 AM »

Heh, when I first heard his voice coming from one of the first doctors you meet, I thought "Ah, this guy is going to be important later since they wouldn't get Steve Blum to just voice a throwaway character!".  Then I heard him voicing a random cop....and another doctor...and another cop...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: September 04, 2009, 05:27:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2009, 04:59:46 AM

speaking of voices, looking at the IMDB cast list there are parts listed that I don't remember being in the game, like:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Richard Moll as Two Face/Harvey Dent and Efrem Zimbalist Jr as Alfred Pennyworth.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I mentioned Harvey Dent's voice casting earlier in this thread. I expect that the first DLC for the game will have us fighting Harvey in Gotham City while Alfred provides support over the comlink. They've probably already finished the voices along with the rest of the main game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 04, 2009, 06:20:37 AM »

I was more of a Marvel kid growing up, so I am unfamiliar with some of Batman's lesser known enemies.  As I uncover bios for them, I gotta wonder wtf the DC guys were smoking when they came up with some of these bad guys.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 04, 2009, 06:28:09 AM »

Another thing to watch is the First Appearance line.  I wasn't familiar with Zaazzszszszszs, but some of the others I've run across are familiar to me (9%)

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 04, 2009, 06:29:39 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 04, 2009, 06:20:37 AM

I was more of a Marvel kid growing up, so I am unfamiliar with some of Batman's lesser known enemies.  As I uncover bios for them, I gotta wonder wtf the DC guys were smoking when they came up with some of these bad guys.

I know what you mean, I came across so many lame character bios. It was depressing through because it made me realize that if Batman wasn't the protagonist and I read his bio, he would seem lame too slywink

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 04, 2009, 06:28:09 AM

Another thing to watch is the First Appearance line.  I wasn't familiar with Zaazzszszszszs, but some of the others I've run across are familiar to me (9%)

Surprisingly, he's in Batman Begins (just watched it) which of course I wouldn't have noticed had I not played the game. He was creepy, too!

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 04, 2009, 06:34:29 AM »

in all fairness Marvel has their fair share of oddball villains too.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:27 AM »

Yeah, because Marvel never has lame bad guys:

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 04, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 04, 2009, 05:27:31 AM

Man.  Does it seem like the guy who does Spike's voice from Cowboy Bebop does the voice for every third character you meet?

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I mentioned Harvey Dent's voice casting earlier in this thread. I expect that the first DLC for the game will have us fighting Harvey in Gotham City while Alfred provides support over the comlink. They've probably already finished the voices along with the rest of the main game.

They were both the voices for the same characters in the animated series.  There may have been some cutting/pasting going on with the IMDB listing.

Oh, and as for Marvel's brilliant characters:

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: September 04, 2009, 12:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 04, 2009, 12:16:56 PM

Man.  Does it seem like the guy who does Spike's voice from Cowboy Bebop does the voice for every third character you meet?

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

They were both the voices for the same characters in the animated series.  There may have been some cutting/pasting going on with the IMDB listing.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I doubt it. Particularly since Batman leaves to fight Harvey Dent in the end, clearly leading into an expansion or DLC adventure.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 04, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 04, 2009, 12:53:49 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 04, 2009, 12:16:56 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

They were both the voices for the same characters in the animated series.  There may have been some cutting/pasting going on with the IMDB listing.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I doubt it. Particularly since Batman leaves to fight Harvey Dent in the end, clearly leading into an expansion or DLC adventure.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I'm guessing they are going to save Two Face as the main villain in the sequel and feature the other prominent members of his rogues gallery that weren't present in Arkham (Catwoman, Penguin, etc).
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 04, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »

Stayed up til 2:30 last night finishing this off.  Totally awesome game.  I wound up with ~200 of the puzzles found, and many areas cleared out.  There are just a few of the earlier areas that I haven't gone back to with my new gadgets.  Plus I haven't touched any of the challenges yet.  Wound up with 80% completion.

While I agree that the boss fights were a bit videogame-formulaic, that's almost a good thing.  It meant I got to focus more on the spectacle of the fight than on figuring out the mechanics of how to beat the boss.  Can't wait for the eventual DLC.

This was a really impressive effort from Rocksteady.  I'm almost afraid to see what happens with any potential sequel.  I suspect that the game is as good as it is because they were working more or less under the radar, without much attention or pressure, and with few expectations.  Now that Arkham is awesome and selling well, they're going to get a ton more attention both from the public and their publisher to get an equally good sequel out the door in a timely fashion.  I hope they can pull off a miracle again.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 04, 2009, 02:50:46 PM »

one thing just occurred to me that doesn't make sense, concerning when you get the batclaw:

Spoiler for Hiden:
if the ultra batclaw is in the cave too why the hell doesn't he just grab that one?

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 04, 2009, 03:04:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2009, 02:50:46 PM

one thing just occurred to me that doesn't make sense, concerning when you get the batclaw:

Spoiler for Hiden:
if the ultra batclaw is in the cave too why the hell doesn't he just grab that one?

Hehe, the same exact thing occurred to me.  Of course it's a testament to how wrapped up I was in the game that it was only after I had finished it when I thought about it. 
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 04, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »

Time for me to get into this love-in. Beat the game a few days ago, but collected the last and final Riddler challenge last night. Being a long time Batman fan this game was nothing short of amazing and awesome. Rocksteady hit one out of the park with this one. They just really nailed the look, ambiance and lore of Batman and his cadre of villains.

Combat was exciting, visceral and satisfying. Thank god they didn't cram in any overused QTEs anywhere in the game. The character interview tapes were really well done and gave you a little insight behind the twisted minds of the villains. I really like the Scarecrow sections and wished they could have done a little more there (not the puzzle-like "dreamland" parts but the ones where Batman is in a regular level and things are just looking bat-shit weird around him).

Some of the boss fights I wished could have been a bit more involved, but the game really does stress the "detective" and deductive parts of Batman by not forcing him to go toe-to-toe brute force against everyone. Love the gadgets, there were practical uses for every one, not just novelty ones for specific parts of the game.

All in all, an amazing and worthwhile experience. One of my top contenders for GOTW.

I loved that one part of the game where
Spoiler for Hiden:
the screen freezes for a moment, some weird scan lines appear, sound cuts out and I freak out thinking I'm getting a RROD and
you think your hardware has gone tits-up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:49:01 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 04, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »

Quote from: spigot on September 04, 2009, 03:12:20 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
the screen freezes for a moment, some weird scan lines appear, sound cuts out and I freak out thinking I'm getting a RROD and

that part was just mean  icon_lol

as for QTE's, I was dreading one popping up as I was playing on the PS3 and not familiar with the buttons like I am with the 360.  I'm glad they skipped them.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 04, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2009, 03:16:32 PM

Quote from: spigot on September 04, 2009, 03:12:20 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

that part was just mean  icon_lol

Spoiler for Hiden:
I suspect the developers played Eternal Darkness.  ED did a few similar tricks, though adding in looping back to the opening cinematic with the "alterations" was brilliant.  I also loved the joke about "push left on the middle analog stick to avoid Joker's bullet" after he shoots you.

I'd love to play a whole game done in the style of the Scarecrow sections.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 04, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »

I don't think I saw any discussions on this in the previous pages but do any of the PS3 owners have anything to say about being able to play as Joker? I saw a couple videos of him strutting around with his funny walk and using a hand cannon, a pair of x-ray specs and weird gadgets like remote controlled chattering teeth that explode. Is there more than that? I can't imagine him being more fun to play than Batman, just sillier.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:45:07 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 04, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »

Questions about riddles:

After the final boss can you still wander and/or

If you restart the game, are all the riddles you solved still in tact or does it reset the game environment?

I'm thinking it should be like GOW COG tags...in you find them once, they're found...but I'm not sure.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 04, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »

after you beat the game you can wander by selecting continue game.  I don't know if they stay found though, I didn't start a new game before I had to give it back.  I imagine that you'd need to find them again since, if I remember correctly, they give you XP (or maybe that was just the Joker teeth).

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 04, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »

I've got the PS3 version, so I have the Joker challenges downloaded.  However, I haven't touched any of the challenges either as Batman or Joker, so I can't comment on them yet.  I wanted to finish the main game first.  I'm still deciding whether I want to jump right back in and do the challenges or take a break and play something else for a bit.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 04, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 04, 2009, 03:43:30 PM

I've got the PS3 version, so I have the Joker challenges downloaded.  However, I haven't touched any of the challenges either as Batman or Joker, so I can't comment on them yet.  I wanted to finish the main game first.  I'm still deciding whether I want to jump right back in and do the challenges or take a break and play something else for a bit.

I tried one of the Joker challenges and glanced at the others, and I'm pretty sure they're the same setup but  with different skins, some toys and animations.  the Joker walk looks pretty silly, and I  couldn't bring myself to care enough to play as him.  I really have the time to play any other challenges but I imagine the Batman ones would be great for a quick fix.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: