http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 12:33:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman : Arkham Asylum  (Read 48684 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »

less than 12 hrs and i will be playing!!!!

paranoid just saying

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 27, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »

I didn't know The Riddler was in the game until I came into this thread!  Actually, that's true, but I don't really care.  Can't wait to get back into the U.S. and get this game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »

I am sure some people don't know but it appears in every review I have read.  Since collecting his trophies is a mini game and not really a story element I think most people don't consider it a spoiler.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 27, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »

there were a few Trophies of his in the demo as well

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »

Also, one of the first things you can find in the game is a cell covered with his trademark questionmarks.  He's no more a spoiler than the plane crash that opens Bioshock.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »

Dammit....I want to play some more but my 3 and 5 year-old girls are scared shitless (but yet won't leave the room).  I had to turn it off.  Got to the part where Harley Quinn makes an appearance.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 27, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 27, 2009, 09:55:16 PM

Dammit....I want to play some more but my 3 and 5 year-old girls are scared shitless (but yet won't leave the room).  I had to turn it off.  Got to the part where Harley Quinn makes an appearance.

Usually it's the sound that scares the youngins, maybe play some different music in the background while you plug in some headphones?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 27, 2009, 10:03:04 PM

Usually it's the sound that scares the youngins, maybe play some different music in the background while you plug in some headphones?

I dunno...when you start progressing through the game, there is some more disturbing imagery other than just straight up violence that may scare the kiddies.  No spoiler here as you saw it in the demo, but you start seeing people getting shot, though not often.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shortly after some of that, the Scarecrow stuff will scare the kids, IMHO.

I've played through pretty much the entire game, and I'd rather not play it in front of my daughter.  I did the first day, and she woke up in the middle of the night with nightmares.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 27, 2009, 10:47:01 PM »

Dammit....I want to play some more but my 3 and 5 year-old girls are scared shitless (but yet won't leave the room).

to be honest, the idea of a 3 year-old girl watching this game scares me smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 27, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »

Yeah, this really is not a game for kids.  I'm surprised it got a T-rating.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 27, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

Yeah....it was the imagery.  That's why I shut it off.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 27, 2009, 08:53:38 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 27, 2009, 08:36:46 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on August 27, 2009, 08:28:47 PM

right now, any sequel that'd allow me to wring the riddler's scrawny neck'd be a day 1 buy smile ...
ugh...again, please -spoiler hide these kind of things... or at least warn people in the thread title. The game has been out less than a day in europe

sorry: not seeing how that's a spoiler, in any way. the threads' got a number of references to the riddler's riddles, & how hard they are, which's all i was referring to - i haven't even finished 10% of the game...

if anything I think Pharoahs mention of the number of villains is more of a spoiler.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 28, 2009, 12:21:51 AM »

How long is the game clocking for most here?  I really enjoyed the demo and was wondering how much more I could expect if I got the full game.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2009, 01:13:31 AM »

An odd thing happened to me the other day - after playing this for the first time stumbled across something amusing on the drive to work the next morning. They've been doing work on one of the highways I take and there were these rather large bright green arrows spray painted on the asphalt where you had to move over to merge. Cracked me up... damn Joker is everywhere.  paranoid

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2009, 01:32:53 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on August 28, 2009, 12:21:51 AM

How long is the game clocking for most here?  I really enjoyed the demo and was wondering how much more I could expect if I got the full game.

Game length is probably  highly variable due to whether you go straight through or opt to take part in the numerous collection opportunities that require a much more detailed exploration of the environment. However I can't imagine anyone disappointed in the length.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:30 AM »

I've put in about 4 hours so far and I'm only 12 pecent through the game.  of course, I'm going REALLY slow and savoring every moment.  It's that darn good.  i want to explore every nook and cranny, find all the easter eggs and back story.  plus, the challenge rooms are freakin' great.  i see them easily adding another 10 to 20 hours to my gametime (if not much more).

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had just finished the second fight in the sanitorium and thought to myself, "man, I'd love to come back here and stealth my way through this one" when lo and behold it unlocked about 10 minutes later as a challenge room with the stipulation that i take down the enemies with stealth.   icon_biggrin  i love this game...and i'm gunning for USMC Kato's high score on 'silent knight'.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2009, 01:32:53 AM

Game length is probably  highly variable due to whether you go straight through or opt to take part in the numerous collection opportunities that require a much more detailed exploration of the environment. However I can't imagine anyone disappointed in the length.

This is the best answer... the game is long enough.  I didn't time myself but I certainly didn't feel it was short or that it wasn't worth it.  Must buy.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:11 AM »

Along with the length of the game, what difficulty is everybody playing on? I have started on normal, not being a shooter, but a sneaker.. thought this would be the best level.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 28, 2009, 02:05:54 AM »

Could someone let me know how riddles work?

I'm walking through an area and I see green text pop on the screen with a riddle. Does that mean I need to search the immediate area for the answer?  Is that all there is to it?

What of the riddler board with the different....goals on them. What's that about?

No spoilers pls.

Made progress tonight and am enjoying it so far.  Not crazy about any of the unlocks I've found yet as I think the multiplier is too big for practical use...especially since i'm only getting guys in ones and twos at this point...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 28, 2009, 02:07:27 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 28, 2009, 02:05:54 AM

Could someone let me know how riddles work?

I'm walking through an area and I see green text pop on the screen with a riddle. Does that mean I need to search the immediate area for the answer?  Is that all there is to it?

Yes, they are in the immediate area (ie that labeled section of the map). Also you can go to the Riddler Options screen and any clues that are in the immediate area will be shaking. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 28, 2009, 02:22:23 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2009, 01:36:30 AM

I've put in about 4 hours so far and I'm only 12 pecent through the game.  of course, I'm going REALLY slow and savoring every moment.  It's that darn good.  i want to explore every nook and cranny, find all the easter eggs and back story.  plus, the challenge rooms are freakin' great.  i see them easily adding another 10 to 20 hours to my gametime (if not much more).

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had just finished the second fight in the sanitorium and thought to myself, "man, I'd love to come back here and stealth my way through this one" when lo and behold it unlocked about 10 minutes later as a challenge room with the stipulation that i take down the enemies with stealth.   icon_biggrin  i love this game...and i'm gunning for USMC Kato's high score on 'silent knight'.

Ah so you're gunning for my high score eh? Now I must score higher! mua ha ha ha!

I've unlocked 4 challenge rooms (not including the pre-order bonus scarecrow one) and they are all damn fun.  Going to see how long I can stay number one in the GT crowd

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:10 AM »

Well, my plan was to wait and borrow, but my wife picked this up for me tonight (at my request). You lousy bastards. smile It's definitely a ton of fun so far (very early - only played 1 or 2 areas that were not in the demo). Nice to have a licensed game that is great - and would be great without the license.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 28, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 28, 2009, 02:05:54 AM

Made progress tonight and am enjoying it so far.  Not crazy about any of the unlocks I've found yet as I think the multiplier is too big for practical use...especially since i'm only getting guys in ones and twos at this point...

be patient - that'll change smile ...

really glad i got this. i've always had no interest whatsoever in licensed properties, but was surprised by how much i liked the demo (actually preferred this version of the joker to the dark knight one eek ), & am enjoying the way the developers have taken the franchise & made it their own - other than the odd movie, i haven't paid much attention to batman stuff for years (i mean, like, since bob kane & adam west smile ), & this game feels really fresh to me (in the same way batman begins did)...

Quote from: JCC on August 28, 2009, 02:34:10 AM

Nice to have a licensed game that is great - and would be great without the license.

exactly! - well put...

so... ya think square enix is happy? smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »

I just can't believe this came from a studio that made one game before it. You would think with gameplay this good it came from Ubisoft Montreal or something. This is the type of game that keeps the love of gaming alive for me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2009, 04:14:20 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 28, 2009, 03:24:10 AM

I just can't believe this came from a studio that made one game before it. You would think with gameplay this good it came from Ubisoft Montreal or something. This is the type of game that keeps the love of gaming alive for me.

And that one game was a campy as all hell classic - Urban Chaos: Riot Response for the PS2 and Xbox. "YOU! have unlocked an extra Batarang!"

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »

The Morgue....

all I am going to say

PSN: MythicalMino
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on August 28, 2009, 10:00:43 AM

The Morgue....

all I am going to say

thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 28, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2009, 12:06:16 AM

right now, any sequel that'd allow me to wring the riddler's scrawny neck'd be a day 1 buy smile ...
ugh...again, please -spoiler hide these kind of things... or at least warn people in the thread title. The game has been out less than a day in europe

sorry: not seeing how that's a spoiler, in any way. the threads' got a number of references to the riddler's riddles, & how hard they are, which's all i was referring to - i haven't even finished 10% of the game...

if anything I think Pharoahs mention of the number of villains is more of a spoiler.

nah... he's just referring to the number of entries in the unlockable portrait gallery, which really gives no indication as to who is or isn't actually in the game...

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 28, 2009, 10:48:32 AM

Quote from: MythicalMino on August 28, 2009, 10:00:43 AM

The Morgue....

all I am going to say

thumbsup
Yes, that was awesome.  I only wish it were longer.

I had some doubts about the combat system from the demo, but in game it's so much fun even though it's mainly hitting X.  It flows seamlessly and looks awesome.
I played for over four hours and I'm hard pressed to find anything wrong with the game.  It's fantastic.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »

For those of you who ordered from Amazon.......they now offer a $10 GC with purchase.  Since this offer wasn't available when we pre-ordered, I thought I would e-mail them and see what they do.

Amazon graciously credited my Visa $10.  YMMV

Give it a shot and see what happens.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 28, 2009, 01:16:40 PM

For those of you who ordered from Amazon.......they now offer a $10 GC with purchase.  Since this offer wasn't available when we pre-ordered, I thought I would e-mail them and see what they do.

Amazon graciously credited my Visa $10.  YMMV

Give it a shot and see what happens.

I might try that.  Though there was a miscommunication with them when I called to ask about something prior to release that led to me getting the game for ~$42 anyway.  But an extra $10 off never hurts (me).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 28, 2009, 01:00:35 PM

nah... he's just referring to the number of entries in the unlockable portrait gallery, which really gives no indication as to who is or isn't actually in the game...

it depends on whether or not you were hoping for them to go all out and fill the game with them all  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2009, 02:37:23 PM »

*shifty eyes*

I'M BATMAN!

ninja2
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 28, 2009, 02:13:32 PM

I might try that.  Though there was a miscommunication with them when I called to ask about something prior to release that led to me getting the game for ~$42 anyway.  But an extra $10 off never hurts (me).

Yeah....after this extra ten, the 5 dollar off coupon, the 10% ECA discount, and a GC I had....Batman came out to $20.30.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2009, 03:45:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 27, 2009, 09:15:27 PM

paranoid just saying

Well??? What say you?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 28, 2009, 03:45:41 PM

paranoid just saying

Well??? What say you?

He's too busy playing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2009, 04:01:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2009, 02:27:41 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on August 28, 2009, 01:00:35 PM

it depends on whether or not you were hoping for them to go all out and fill the game with them all  icon_biggrin

d'oh! - just reread what he said, &, yeah, he did kinda fuck up there, didn't he? smile ...

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 28, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 28, 2009, 03:48:38 PM

paranoid just saying

Well??? What say you?

He's too busy playing.

yup,played for about 4 hrs...got i think 13%..i have been half heartedly going for the riddles(got the 10% achievement i think),because i know i can go back and then do a good search....Loving the game,puzzles are good...not too easy,not too hard(or at least the ones i have come across)

one thing about the Riddler puzzles(not much of a spoiler but i will put it in the tags)
Spoiler for Hiden:
i found a map and it shows all little green question marks running about the place,i thought these may be the wind up teeth,but when i go over to the area on he map where they are showing,i can't find them...is there a trick to seeing them(i used my batvision thing)..or have i got it totally wrong and it isn't wind up teeth

anyone got any tips on how to do Combo's?,i am not very good i did manage to get the x5 combo,but that was easy...8 is the highest i can get

challenge rooms..did the first one(4 rounds)...but the second one didn't unlock..do i have to get a certain score to progress

i got the Scarecrow challenge room code with my copy...i just stuck my nose in to that,you have to survive without getting hit...so,er yeah..i got 50 points,LOL..lasted for about 10 seconds(which is funny because i got the 'complete a challenge without getting hit' achievement from the other challenge room)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Scarecrow in the Morgue was pretty damn sweet

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 28, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2009, 04:40:17 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 28, 2009, 03:48:38 PM

paranoid just saying

Well??? What say you?

He's too busy playing.

yup,played for about 4 hrs...got i think 13%..i have been half heartedly going for the riddles(got the 10% achievement i think),because i know i can go back and then do a good search....Loving the game,puzzles are good...not too easy,not too hard(or at least the ones i have come across)

one thing about the Riddler puzzles(not much of a spoiler but i will put it in the tags)
Spoiler for Hiden:
i found a map and it shows all little green question marks running about the place,i thought these may be the wind up teeth,but when i go over to the area on he map where they are showing,i can't find them...is there a trick to seeing them(i used my batvision thing)..or have i got it totally wrong and it isn't wind up teeth

anyone got any tips on how to do Combo's?,i am not very good i did manage to get the x5 combo,but that was easy...8 is the highest i can get

challenge rooms..did the first one(4 rounds)...but the second one didn't unlock..do i have to get a certain score to progress

i got the Scarecrow challenge room code with my copy...i just stuck my nose in to that,you have to survive without getting hit...so,er yeah..i got 50 points,LOL..lasted for about 10 seconds(which is funny because i got the 'complete a challenge without getting hit' achievement from the other challenge room)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Scarecrow in the Morgue was pretty damn sweet

The key to the combos is to point the left stick in the direction of the next guy you want to attack, and hit Y (Triangle for PS3) to counter before the bad guy hits you.  You'll know they're about to strike when a "spider-sense" kind of effect glows over their head.  It takes just a little practice to get good at it.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 28, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2009, 04:40:17 PM

If you're not seeing anything there, it's probably an item that is the solution.  Point at it and hold down LB.

Combos get easier after a few unlocks of melee skills.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: