http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman : Arkham Asylum  (Read 48461 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »

just finished the demo, & i've definitely gone from uninterested to interested - everything looks good (other than the neckless versions of batman (& gordon?!), & (once you get the controls down) feels good. very polished, & very cleverly done. consider me impressed smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »

Downloading the demo on PSN now!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2009, 01:27:08 AM »

Instant day one purchase. Very short, but smooth looking/playing demo. This will be the Batman game that will break the curse.  Plays like a cross between splinter cell and assassins creed   

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2009, 01:45:40 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 07, 2009, 01:27:08 AM

Instant day one purchase. Very short, but smooth looking/playing demo. This will be the Batman game that will break the curse.  Plays like a cross between splinter cell and assassins creed   

i actually thought Batman Begins game was quite good,a lot of Splinter Cell type stealth in that as well...and everyone has room for Lego Batman icon_biggrin

glad to know people are liking the demo..i guess i will pre-order it to get that Scarecrow map...thing

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »

Not too impressed myself.  Maybe when it's $20.  No more.  Actually liked the last Batman game more.  Got too many to play anyway and something had to be cut.  This just made it easier.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:55:54 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2009, 06:12:22 AM »

Demo was ok....I can see it getting old really fast...the AC gameplay seems really cramped when you are stuck in the confines of the Asylum.  No roof tops to run around on.  Also, I hope the fight system becomes more than just x,x,x and you can string together some stuff.  I wasn't interested in this before and I'm still not.  Maybe will pick up when it's bargain bin.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »

I really liked the demo.  I'm hoping the game opens up some more moves as it progresses.  I agree it may get old just hitting X and Y to takedown.  Silent takedowns were pretty sweet though.

It looks very well done.  The camera and music along with the cutscenes make it seem very cinematic.  I can't wait to play the full game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2009, 08:16:39 AM »

XBL version is up now(according to Major Nelson)

EDIT:Okay i just played this,enjoyed it a lot

first my gripes
the camera got some getting used to being pretty much right behind Bats(and slightly to the right),i thought i had pressed something to make it do that

and also,the convenient places of Gargoyles was a bit meh,they could of had pipes and ledges as well as Gargoyles...not just Gargoyles all the time,seemed a bit silly...but that's not much of a gripe with the demo

as Leo/Nth Power said i can see the X spamming getting old...i use the counter(Y)button a lot to get some cool mini scenes,i have just remembered about the cape stun...i forgot to try that,so i think when it comes to the actual game i will stealth it as much as possible,unless there are some new fight moves etc in the full game(or an unlockable)

loves
that last room,on my second playthrough i took my time and took 1 guy at a time and watched in Detective mode,their heart rates start getting faster and faster and them becoming nervous and eventually terrified with every goon i took down,keeping out of sight.....the more nervous/terrified they got they just started to shoot randomly...it was great just watching from above

the last guy i took a vertical takedown(whatever its called)...just like the movies,very fun

Graphics are really nice looking,its a lot different from the Cartoon(the one i have seen anyway)...kind of a mix of Burton films and the graphic novels,i didn't really see any of the new Batman Franchise(Christian Bale movies) in the style...the music was from the Burton movie

Questions:
1-in that last room i saw some grates/vent covers...but couldn't reach them(one half way up the wall with no ledges or gargoyles near)...could anyone else?

2-in the room with the Electric Chair,was anyone able to get through that wall?,it says you need to use a controlled explosion,but i couldn't find a way to create one...anyone else?...i could see through the wall with my Batvision,looked like a cell behind the wall,not much ...but still there has to be something in there,right?

3-is The Riddler,Catwoman or The Penguin in this game?
in the first room where you learned to fight,i opened a grate/vent cover on the wall and found a Riddler Trophy that opened his Character Bio...i hope the trophies aren't the only thing of The Riddler we see

IMDB listing does have pretty much every enemy listed(well,not the 100s of enemies,but the main,popular ones),apart from Catwoman,but its been this way for about 6 months when i first looked

looking forward to getting the full game,hope its a decent length
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:41:18 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

Downloading.....NOW!
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »

Really enjoyed the demo when I tried it this morning. I was one of the few people that really enjoyed Batman Begins, and this seems to emphasis the stealth factors a little bit more, which is good. I don't want to play a brawler, I want to terrify people.

As for the combat, I noticed that you earn XP as you fight. At one point it said something like "max combo: 5x XP". My guess is that you'll earn XP and be able to unlock or purchase some type of upgrades.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on August 07, 2009, 01:31:35 PM

Really enjoyed the demo when I tried it this morning. I was one of the few people that really enjoyed Batman Begins, and this seems to emphasis the stealth factors a little bit more, which is good. I don't want to play a brawler, I want to terrify people.

As for the combat, I noticed that you earn XP as you fight. At one point it said something like "max combo: 5x XP". My guess is that you'll earn XP and be able to unlock or purchase some type of upgrades.

HUH? Was there someone that didnt enjoy Batman begins?? I think all I've seen ranked it up there with IronMan and the likes...

A new one
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 07, 2009, 01:55:03 PM

HUH? Was there someone that didnt enjoy Batman begins?? I think all I've seen ranked it up there with IronMan and the likes...

Was about an hour too long. Could have cut the movie off at that point (sorry, don't remember the specific scene) and it would have been better.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 07, 2009, 01:58:05 PM

Was about an hour too long. Could have cut the movie off at that point (sorry, don't remember the specific scene) and it would have been better.

really?? Oh, and I'm not being sarcastic or a dick or anything, but....really?! I loved it, and this is the first negative remark I've ever heard about it :-)

A new one
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »

Working through the demo and my only complaint is that it seems to play itself.  It doesn't appear to take much skill to get a combo together and just pressing y for a counter has batman do some pretty elaborate moves.

Also, there's lots of use of slow motion in regular fighting.  not sure about that either.

It seems to be very well produced and the story definitely looks worth investigating, but I can't help but keep seeing Marcus Fenix when Batman talks into his ear piece.

Also, he's just a little to muscled.

That said....I'm stuck  disgust

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just knocked out szaz and i see the vent above the door, but I can't figure out how to get to it, knock it out of place or whatever it is I'm supposed to do.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 07, 2009, 02:02:26 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 07, 2009, 01:58:05 PM

really?? Oh, and I'm not being sarcastic or a dick or anything, but....really?! I loved it, and this is the first negative remark I've ever heard about it :-)

They're just haters! BB was awesome start to finish!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
There is another hatch :-)

edit - The spoilker is for you, ATB

A new one
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 07, 2009, 02:03:25 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
There is another hatch :-)

edit - The spoilker is for you, ATB

Thanks.  slywink

Finished the demo. Very solid. Definitely going to rent it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »

I think mSteelers was talking about the BB video game (which I also liked, but it wasn't super-well received).  I don't know what the hell jztemple2 is talking about.  The movie has received nothing but universal praise, as far as I can remember.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »

I was talking about the game.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 07, 2009, 08:16:39 AM

3-is The Riddler,Catwoman or The Penguin in this game?
in the first room where you learned to fight,i opened a grate/vent cover on the wall and found a Riddler Trophy that opened his Character Bio...i hope the trophies aren't the only thing of The Riddler we see

it depends on what mythology they're using.  if they're using the current one then The Riddler is reformed and a private investigator, Catwoman is now a goodie two shoes and the Penguin is a well established crime boss.  I did notice all the question marks in that one cell though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 07, 2009, 02:25:42 PM

I think mSteelers was talking about the BB video game (which I also liked, but it wasn't super-well received).  I don't know what the hell jztemple2 is talking about.  The movie has received nothing but universal praise, as far as I can remember.

Yikes, it was too early in the morning to intelligently reply  icon_frown. I was making my comment about "The Dark Knight" movie, which I did find way too long. I liked the "Batman Begins" movie very much. Sorry for inconveniencing some electrons and forum members by replying to my gaff  Roll Eyes

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 07, 2009, 04:44:27 PM

Yikes, it was too early in the morning to intelligently reply  icon_frown. I was making my comment about "The Dark Knight" movie, which I did find way too long. I liked the "Batman Begins" movie very much. Sorry for inconveniencing some electrons and forum members by replying to my gaff  Roll Eyes

Agree with you on Dark Knight, though I still thought it was excellent.  However, once you wrap up with Ledger's incredible Joker and still have to deal with Eckhart's Two Face (which would have been good in another movie, but against Ledger, it comes off as lacking), the movie seems a little heavy and long at the end.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 07, 2009, 05:07:55 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 07, 2009, 04:44:27 PM

Agree with you on Dark Knight, though I still thought it was excellent.  However, once you wrap up with Ledger's incredible Joker and still have to deal with Eckhart's Two Face (which would have been good in another movie, but against Ledger, it comes off as lacking), the movie seems a little heavy and long at the end.

I don't think they were expecting Ledger to steal the show as much as he did.  still, I think jztemple is off his rocker  icon_wink

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2009, 06:41:41 PM

I don't think they were expecting Ledger to steal the show as much as he did.  still, I think jztemple is off his rocker  icon_wink

Naw, they got me a seat belt so I don't fall out!  icon_biggrin

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 07, 2009, 07:05:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2009, 06:41:41 PM

Naw, they got me a seat belt so I don't fall out!  icon_biggrin

but I bet your cane can still reach the kids when they are trespassing on your lawn ;-)

nah - its all good :-)

A new one
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

I played the demo; pretty sweet. Lots of good eye candy in the asylum. Controls seem to work well. Apparently it uses a checkpoint save system. That shouldn't be too bad as long as the save points aren't too far apart.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2009, 02:04:24 AM »

who wants to see a pointless Screen grab comparison between Xbox 360 and PS3?..this is probably the worse yet,as there is pretty much no difference

i got this from the PS3 forums,the guy who posted it says that it looks better on the PS3..another guy posted and said that's because the PS3 hasn't got any shadows...FWIW,the plants do look better on PS3...but this time i think the differences are pretty lame

i really can not see any difference apart from the plants,but they are arguing over it on PS3 forums(its always funny to read over there)

apparently the PS3 was the lead platform

just scroll down a little
http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=1377855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105&sid=42facd50fcef108ab9d8b42fe4017f70

i think in the end,whichever version you buy,it will be fine,however PS3 pushes its nose out with the Joker playable character,if you are interested in that(still no word if that's coming to the 360,although there is downloadable content selection in the game menu)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:07:33 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »

played the demo tonight, and while i really like the visual style and ideas behind the game, i haven't seen enough yet to convince that it that will really hold my interest.  there are a lot of good things in the very short demo, but i can't help but wonder just how well the few mechanics we've had the chance to try will hold up over time.  will the x-smashing combat increase in complexity enough to keep it from getting repetitive?  how will the boss fights play out with a combat system that seems relatively simple and a bit slow so far?  will all of your swinging around the ceiling be spoon-fed to us in the form gargoyle statues that glow orange in detective mode? 

the game looks to have some great potential, but i'm still hesitant and waiting to see if lives up to the hype before making my purchase...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2009, 04:29:03 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2009, 02:04:24 AM

who wants to see a pointless Screen grab comparison between Xbox 360 and PS3?..this is probably the worse yet,as there is pretty much no difference

i got this from the PS3 forums,the guy who posted it says that it looks better on the PS3..another guy posted and said that's because the PS3 hasn't got any shadows...FWIW,the plants do look better on PS3...but this time i think the differences are pretty lame

i really can not see any difference apart from the plants,but they are arguing over it on PS3 forums(its always funny to read over there)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=1377855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105&sid=42facd50fcef108ab9d8b42fe4017f70

i think in the end,whichever version you buy,it will be fine,however PS3 pushes its nose out with the Joker playable character,if you are interested in that(still no word if that's coming to the 360,although there is downloadable content selection in the game menu)

here's some screen grabs from that 'other system'  Tongue

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2009, 04:29:03 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2009, 02:04:24 AM

here's some screen grabs from that 'other system'  Tongue

hmm,looks the same i think(from memory)perhaps a tad darker...i see Harley Quinn look just as hot though icon_biggrin icon_twisted

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »

Quote from: disarm on August 08, 2009, 03:11:24 AM

played the demo tonight, and while i really like the visual style and ideas behind the game, i haven't seen enough yet to convince that it that will really hold my interest.  there are a lot of good things in the very short demo, but i can't help but wonder just how well the few mechanics we've had the chance to try will hold up over time.  will the x-smashing combat increase in complexity enough to keep it from getting repetitive?  how will the boss fights play out with a combat system that seems relatively simple and a bit slow so far?  will all of your swinging around the ceiling be spoon-fed to us in the form gargoyle statues that glow orange in detective mode? 

the game looks to have some great potential, but i'm still hesitant and waiting to see if lives up to the hype before making my purchase...

I agree totally.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

Quote from: disarm on August 08, 2009, 03:11:24 AM

while i wouldn't want to play a steady diet of 'games that play themselves' (the last prince of persia was the most recent one for me), if the production values are there, & the mechanics are solid, i don't have a problem indulging every so often. particularly with a title like this, that i wasn't all that interested in initially - something like a personality-filled joyride (with collectibles) sounds like some cheap'n'cheesy fun to a not-so-serious batman fan like me smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »

Played the demo. Had a blast. Will buy.  That is all.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 08, 2009, 09:00:06 PM

Played the demo. Had a blast. Will buy.  That is all.

+1  This has just become a day one buy

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »

wow, great game.  i'm impressed.  the only thing that would keep me from paying full price for it is the length.  if it's very short, i don't think i could justify the 60 dollar price tag.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:49 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 09, 2009, 11:02:50 PM

wow, great game.  i'm impressed.  the only thing that would keep me from paying full price for it is the length.  if it's very short, i don't think i could justify the 60 dollar price tag.

How about $48.50 shipped from Amazon using the 5OFFARKM code?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »

I played the demo over the weekend.  Barring a sub-10 hour playtime or showstopping bugs/reviews, I'm likely in during the first week.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2009, 03:07:54 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised.  It was fun, looked great, and had great voice acting.  The combat will probably get old but swinging all around is fun so that makes up for it.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on August 10, 2009, 04:22:49 AM

Quote from: hepcat on August 09, 2009, 11:02:50 PM

How about $48.50 shipped from Amazon using the 5OFFARKM code?

Thanks for the heads up! That's $16 in savings over paying $65 at GameStop like I was planning.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:29:25 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:02 PM »

I thought the Demo was pretty solid. Reminded me of the Wolverine quality.

The Detective mode reminds me of Condemned One and Two, and it definitely added to the gameplay.

It is still a wait and see for me though for game length, possible rental/used buy.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: