http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baten Kaitos: Origins  (Read 490 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:43:18 AM »

I just picked up Baten Kaitos for free in a trade. I haven't played it yet, but it sure looks cool!  I just noticed there is a GameCube exclusive prequel to it coming out.

Any Baten fans out there?  What do I need to know to jump into it?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 07:44:19 AM »

Initially I liked the game, but it really grew frustrating the further into I got.  And the voice acting - ugh - it was horrid.  Some of the boss battles can take over an hour to finish, only to die because you got a bunch of useless cards in a row.  The key is to pick a good deck of cards, but they come up in a random order which proved too frustrating for me.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »

I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I'm really enjoying it.  The game has absolutely beautiful graphics, and one of the best RPG soundtracks in years, although the voice acting is pretty bad.  It also has some very creative locations, especially one particular continent.  I like the card battles, although they can drag a little if the cards you need aren't coming up.  Origins is supposed to be even better, and with a different publisher, hopefully the localization and voice acting will be better.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 06:49:39 PM »

My wife got hooked on this game and really enjoyed it. I was bored by it so left her to it and she spent many an hour in front of the TV playing it. I would stop by every once in awhile to see the story progression. Was kinda bummed all the cut-sequences were in-game after that fantastic cinematic opening.

The game has like one of the longest endings ever too. When you think it should end it just goes on....and on....and on.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »

I really enjoyed it through the first 15-ish hours.  It is still one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, and the soundtrack is fantastic.  However, the card timer simply killed the game for me, and made it virtually unplayable.  You get to the point where you only have 1-2 seconds to choose your card.  If you happen to blink and miss your turn, play the wrong card, or not be able to access the card you want in time, you can easily be screwed for the entire battle.

If they took out this one simple game mechanic, I would recommend BK whole-heartedly. As it is, I'll just say it's a fun but very flawed game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: