http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which did you enjoy more, Baten Kaitos or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?  (Voting closed: December 30, 2004, 08:59:46 PM)
Baten Kaitos. - 2 (12.5%)
Paper Mario:  The Thousand Year Door. - 11 (68.8%)
I enjoyed them both equally. - 3 (18.8%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baten Kaitos or Paper Mario (GCN)?  (Read 1984 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2004, 08:59:46 PM »

Time for a clash of Gamecube RPGs.  Which has better combat?  Which has a better story?  Which has the more interesting game world?  Characters?  Hell, which is overall the better RPG?

Simple voting is welcome, but I would like to read reasons for your choice as well.

This is a poll for those of you who have actually played both games, btw.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:07:09 PM »

Wow.  Baten Kaitos is getting spanked!  Of course, only one polled will do that...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 09:33:22 PM »

Paper Mario is an awesome game from start to finish.  Surprise game of the year for me.

Side note:  Even though Paper Mario will easily win this poll, Baten Kaitos is a good game.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 11:40:59 PM »

Paper Mario vs *

Paper Mario should win by a landslide.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:54:28 PM »

I haven't played Baten Kaitos yet, but Paper Mario is easily the best 2004 game that I've played. It's a lot of fun. Very witty, with funny characters and great dialog. Can't recommend it enough.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 03:11:55 AM »

I haven't played Baten Kaitos (received it for Christmas) but I can't imagine its any better than Paper Mario 2 which was easily one of the best games I played last year.  An absolute artistic masterpiece with a combat system that it simple to grasp but surprisingly deep and always interesting.  

The overall plot is merely serviceable but the writing and scenario design is fantastic with tons of meta-humor. Just when you think you understand how each chapte will play out, the game will take a complete 180 with the result being incredible variety through all eight chapters. PM2 also features one of the best casts of any RPG I've ever played.  Its plenty long too- My final gametime was just over the 50 hour mark.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 07:04:21 AM »

How similar are Paper Mario 2 and Superstar Saga on the GBA?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 07:35:56 AM »

they're distant cousins... both share the quirky humor and good writing and distinct artstyles, and somewhat similiar gameplay, but they are definately different beasts.

Personally I like both games. I'd have to give the charming edge to PM2, but BK is good if you like traditional JRpgs and think you'd enjoy the twist on combat and gameplay. The card combat, I find exceptionally rewarding, and I like having to make a choice when it comes to picking reward cards, setting up the deck and seeing how well I can balance out my party and their decks.

Slight edge to PM2 for it's lighter tones, more original take on a traditional mario story. Edge to BK in artwork, battlesystem and strategy-factor. You can get two different but good rewarding feelings from these two games.

Also, it's the first and last time that you'll ever see the cube, or probably any Nintendo home console actually have enough good RPGs that you even have to think about it, so it's worth check them all out eventually.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 07:38:02 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
How similar are Paper Mario 2 and Superstar Saga on the GBA?

Some definite similarities, particularly in the humor and the inclusion of timed button presses in combat to boost damage.

Otherwise, I thought PM2 was much more cleverly written, has a much deeper combat system, and completely different graphical style.  PM2 doesn't feature the various Mario-Luigi mechanics so prominently highiighted in Superstar Saga though.  Instead, you will be able to swap out one party memberon the fly during combat or world exploration.  Each party member has a specific non-combat action they can perform as well as unique attacks within combat.  In PM2, Luigi is stictly a background character provided for comic relief and not a party member.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 02:26:48 PM »

How does Tales of Symphonia stack up in this comparison?  I have a friend who is really into RPGs and he just got himself a GameCube and I thought he'd enjoy knowing which of these is the "best".

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 05:11:27 PM »

I thought PM2 was much more cleverly written

I might have to give the edge to Superstar Saga here, myself.  There are moments of true hilarity in there.  PM2 is very funny, but SS is just full of hysterical moments.  And seeing poor Luigi get dumped on time and time again is just priceless.  Also, the mechanics you talk about give SS a leg up in gameplay for me.

Not to say that Paper Mario 2 isn't fantastic.  It is, absolutely.  Best RPG of the year for me.  It has a number of things over SS, too.  Graphics and sound, obviously.  Also, it's very easy to get lost in SS, and while PM2 is vast, I always feel like I know where I'm going.

How does Tales of Symphonia stack up in this comparison?

TOS is another excellent RPG that went on the back-burner for me when PM2 came out.  If your friend is looking for excellence and length (as many RPGers are), Symphonia is a perfect choice.  In fact, it would be interesting to add TOS to the poll.  I think the numbers would be a little closer (Baten Kaitos is pretty good, once you turn the voices off, but it gets stomped by PM2 and TOS, IMHO).  Hell, let's do another poll and add SS as well!  I don't even know how I'd vote then.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 07:01:29 PM »

I would have to agree.  Even though PM was my favorite game in 2004, Mario & Luigi's writing was far more clever - albeit most of the humor was aimed at long time Nintendo fans.  The whole parallel world to the mushroom kingdom was very well done, and Luigi constantly being second fiddle to Mario was hilarious (although in a nice nod to M&L, the tables were turned for PM).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 08:00:52 PM »

I just bought Baten Kaitos a couple of days ago.  So far I'm REALLY enjoying it!  Haven't played Paper Mario however, so I'll give you the BK perspective:

-The graphics are top notch.  It was pretty much suprisingly good in my mind.  It has kind of CGI backgrounds kinda sorta?  I don't know how to explain it, but the backgrounds and characters all look fantastic with minimal load times.

-So far the story is really interesting.  I've already completed several sidequests and from what I hear there are a ton of them.

-The card system is intriguing.  The battle system with the cards is something new to me - basically it's a random draw of cards from your "deck."  The cool thing is, and something that puts a twist to the battle engine, is that you can do poker kinds of combos.  Cards will have different numbers on them.  In the beginning of the game they only have one but later on they have several numbers.  In battle you move your cursor to the card you want to choose and move the C-stick in the direction the number you want to pick.  Pretty cool, you can do pairs of numbers, a set, a straight, all sorts of things.  Also, the way to complete sidequests usually curtails "trapping" a magnus (an item) onto a blank card and then using it/giving it to someone.  Kinda neat!

-One thing that's somewhat dissappointing - the voice acting is pretty "meh" for me so far.  The main character, Kalas, is ok - I can stand him.  But the girl, Xelha, has a voice that practically sounds like a robot.  Not too much emotion!  But so far it hasn't been THAT bad . . . I'll still listen to it and such . . . but I would have to say that's about the only bad aspect of the game so far.

I don't know - to me, and I know some people might not agree - it kind of draws a comparison with Chrono Cross in some respects.  The way how you encounter battles by "walking into" a monster, how the backgrounds and characters have nice, vivid colors and the game is just plain gorgeous, and so forth.  Pretty simple things to draw comparisons on, true, but it somewhat reminds me of that game, which I really enjoyed.

So, don't give up entirely on Baten Kaitos!  I know there's a lot of pro-Paper Mario talk, and rightfully so - but at least give BK a rental.  It's really shaping up to be a great game for me!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: