http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:48:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Based entirely on the 1st presentations of the PS4 / XBOne, which would you buy?
PS4 - 27 (40.3%)
Xbox One - 5 (7.5%)
Both - 3 (4.5%)
PC MASTER RACE FOREVER! - 22 (32.8%)
Still too early to call - 10 (14.9%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Based entirely on the 1st presentations of the PS4 / XBOne, which would you buy?  (Read 1514 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:35:19 AM »

Based JUST on their presentations, what way are you leaning? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

Waiting for the first price drop for the consensus to have emerged.

Honestly, I've gone back to the PC for most of the gaming that I do.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »

I gave up console gaming about 2 years ago now, and don't miss it.  I do all my gaming on the PC.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »

I voted PS4.  It seems rather premature given how little we've seen of it, but this entire XBox One rollout has been a case study in how to do everything exactly wrong.  Television, movies, Kinect, and Call of Duty?  If the development team has spent any more time focusing on things I don't care about, the big reveal would have been that Microsoft's next console is actually Nicki Minaj. 

Sony might still screw this up.  It's just hard to see how -- all they need to do at this point is show off a half-dozen games in development, plus maybe confirmation that PlayStation plus will continue being an awesome bargain, and they'll have decisively won this early messaging war.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »

Well, the question was based off the 1st showing entirely. So, I voted PS4.

And that's mainly because they already announced 1 game I really want (Infamous 3), and another shooter to hold me over (Killzone).

That said, I have a powerful PC that matches the spec for the coming gen, so I'll be good on that for a while until the developers really start pushing the hardware. So any multi-platforms will be on PC.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

2005 i bought my Xbox 360,I fell in love with it instantly it had great games,great controller and a great online service...but as time went on the xbox 360 kept changing,and not to my liking...a few months ago i finally stopped my Xbox Live Gold subscription

The opposite for Playstation
in 2006 i bought my PS3,and did not like it but as time went on SONY really put their heads down,great games started to be released and PS+ is brilliant

when SONY had their PS4 presentation i was impressed straight away and knew that the PS4 could be when i favour the Playstation over other consoles just like was the case with the PSOne and PS2

when Microsoft had their presentation for the Xbox One,nothing impressed me,and all their 'cool' stuff I had no interest in for a games console

my thoughts right now is that i want a PS4 and the Xbox One can wait,not bothered about that at all right now....so i voted PS4

I fully expect great games to be shown by Microsoft at E3 that may very well change my mind...but as of the first presentation its all Playstation for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »

My standard reply; it's all about the gaming/software. The coolest console in the world means nothing without the apps I want. My PS3 has the ability to be updated for my blu ray 3D viewing. That is my killer app. My son watch Witcher 3, whichever console has that, he'll get
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on May 26, 2013, 01:40:20 PM

My standard reply; it's all about the gaming/software. The coolest console in the world means nothing without the apps I want. My PS3 has the ability to be updated for my blu ray 3D viewing. That is my killer app. My son watch Witcher 3, whichever console has that, he'll get

The Witcher 3 is coming for the PC and PS4. CD Project RED are being coy about it being released for Xbox One, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 26, 2013, 07:06:24 AM

Waiting for the first price drop for the consensus to have emerged.

Honestly, I've gone back to the PC for most of the gaming that I do.

Pretty much this.  I couldn't care less about all he integrated media crap they're pushing, and there has yet to be mention of a single game to make me say "Ooooh, I really need to have that".  Unless there's something that really knocks my socks off at E3, my guess is that I'll skip out on both until there's a price drop and/or killer app released.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

The reason I didn't vote for the PC-centric response is that too many great games are console exclusives.  Yes: when games like Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, and Dead Space 3 come out on every platform, I feel the superior frame rates, load times, and textures make the PC versions objectively better than on the consoles.

So long as there are games like inFamous, Halo, and Zelda, however, I'll always have an interest in console gaming.

-Autistic Angel
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

I'll stick with my PC and Wii U. There are so few non-Nintendo one-platform-only releases that I want to play that I can't see dropping all that money on a system.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

I'm not one to wait for a price drop and also tend to own "one of everything" (including a nice gaming PC) much to the chagrin of my wife. While I'm sure I'll eventually get the new Xbox I'm not thrilled with what they've revealed and (so far) I've had zero interest in a Kinect. I tend to use my PS3 far more lately than my 360 and have no doubt I'll pick up a launch PS4.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on May 26, 2013, 03:11:45 PM

I'll stick with my PC and Wii U. There are so few non-Nintendo one-platform-only releases that I want to play that I can't see dropping all that money on a system.
This.  Anything that will be released on PC I would rather just play there and I have a hard time coming up with any Sony or MS exclusives that I care about.  Maybe by Christmas 2014 that will have changed but I doubt anything will sway me this year.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »

Do I move the boss's thread to console and PC gaming?  So conflicted Tongue

and to answer the question I'm leaning towards PS4
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 26, 2013, 03:47:35 PM

Do I move the boss's thread to console and PC gaming?  So conflicted Tongue

and to answer the question I'm leaning towards PS4

theres 2 questions you have to ask yourself:
1)  If it was someone else, would you move it?
2) if you move it will you be blocked from every sub forum except R&P, for all eternity?  icon_twisted

As far as this topic,  Ive got a great gaming PC and saw nothing with either unit that makes me want to throw my money at them, so for now its PC. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »

based solely off the presentation?  Xbox One had 2 exclusives shown that I want with at least one other game hinted at (Crackdown 3) while Ps4 only had one (sad part is that they showed more games IIRC), a better looking controller and so with that in mind it would be Xbox One.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »

Based solely on the presentations, I voted PS4. 

Of course I'll still play PC games, and likely also get an XBone at launch, but at least I left Sony's press conference excited and interest in their product.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »

I only like strategy games so there's never been any reason to want a gaming console. I haven't paid any attention to either of the new machines.

Having said that, I realize that I'm eventually going to need a box that gives me a blu-ray player, streams internet video to my tv, and all that other newfangled stuff the kids are doing these days. So I'll buy whatever does that easily and cheaply. Last time I asked about it, xbox was the consensus answer, except that one had to subscribe to xbox live. I dropped the idea because I don't want another monthly bill.

If I do eventually buy a game console to get those other functions, I doubt that I'd ever play games on it. I like to play games on my PC in the privacy of my office while my wife watches the telly in the living room, and I don't expect that those habits will change.

But then I remember that when we bought our first computer back in '86 I couldn't imagine playing games on it, so who knows?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »

with the exception of Halo 4 (which I drifted away from 1/2 through) and AC3 (which I would have ordered on PC if it had launched the same day), all of my major XB360 game purchases were on PC.  I've bought ni no kuni and Sly Cooper on the PS3 and also played Infamous 2, but not more than my PC gaming time. 

As much as I would love to play around with the new tech and be able to experience the thrill of a new console, I don't see enough to push me to buy and replace the consoles I already have.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »

I find myself completely unimpressed by both thus far.

I'll wait on them to be cheap, and play on current-gen + PC until then.

It's not like I don't have tons of games to play.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »

I voted for both since I'm a tech junkie for that kind of stuff but I re-watched the Sony presentation and if I had to choose only one (and disregarding the PC which I already have) it would be the PS4.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »

If I could only pick one of the two listed consoles, I'd buy the PS4 way, way over the One.

But I have a PC (and no doubt everything will be ported to the PC this generation as, well, both consoles ARE PCs), so short of a BR player, I'll have all the features that either console offers.

And I have a PS3 that can do that already.

Expanding further, I have no idea if I'll get either console at launch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:29 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 27, 2013, 12:33:17 AM

But I have a PC (and no doubt everything will be ported to the PC this generation as, well, both consoles ARE PCs)

Extremely unlikely, IMO. Sony has no interest in the PC, unlike Microsoft. You won't see Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, etc. for the PC just because the architecture is similar.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 04:34:15 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 27, 2013, 04:26:29 AM

But I have a PC (and no doubt everything will be ported to the PC this generation as, well, both consoles ARE PCs)

Extremely unlikely, IMO. Sony has no interest in the PC, unlike Microsoft. You won't see Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, etc. for the PC just because the architecture is similar.

I think the assumption with "everything" is that like usual it means everything except 1st party platform exclusives.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »

For me, sticking with PC. have a PS3 and 360 and barely use them except for some specific games now and then. I've got a really good rig right now and usually keep it updated and most games I want either come on PC or eventually make it here... (even though there are games, I get tempted to buy on console first because of the wait times, but even then try to hold out because it is also easier to make time to play on the PC instead of a console.)
Plus, no backwards compatibility for xbox, means no day one purchase for me like all the other xboxes. Playstations have always been a late release choice for me and I don't see it changing....If I get one at all..
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 27, 2013, 04:34:15 AM

Quote from: TiLT on May 27, 2013, 04:26:29 AM

I think the assumption with "everything" is that like usual it means everything except 1st party platform exclusives.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Everything but the console specific exclusives.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »

Let it be known that I too predict that all games ported to the PC in the upcoming generation will be ported to the PC. slywink
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »

At the moment I'm more interested in whatever hardware Valve has under wraps
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Hands down... the PS4.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

After Microsofts presentation the PS4 at this point.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

PS4 was always a must purchase as Sony actually has the exclusives I want to play.  XBone was a possibility depending on it offering something interesting, but based on what I've seen thus far that's not happening.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »

Right now, I see absolutely no reason to upgrade to either.  My gaming time on the 360 and PS3 is basically down to zero.  I do watch Blu Rays and Netflix on the PS3.  But what little gaming time I do have is basically on the PC.  Games are much, much cheaper through Steam sales, GMG discounts, and Amazon sales.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »

I'm still on the fence.  Things I need to know:

• console pricing
  • monthly fee shenanigans, if any
  • groupthink direction GTers will go for multiplayer
  • which console runs quieter
  • how I like the feel of the new PS4 controller
  • whether there are any noticeable differences in side by side performance/graphics tests
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »

You're kind of missing the point of "based entirely on the 1st presentation...", Pug.  Tongue

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 28, 2013, 03:41:46 PM

You're kind of missing the point of "based entirely on the 1st presentation...", Pug.  Tongue
Based entirely on the 1st presentations, I am still on the fence.  smile  The above reasons are the things that were missing from the 1st presentations that would have made me lean in one direction or the other.  And yes, I do insist that further product launches include a segment on whether or not I will like the feel of their controller.

Quote from: Greggy_D on May 28, 2013, 03:04:09 PM

Games are much, much cheaper through Steam sales, GMG discounts, and Amazon sales.

This is a biggie for me, too.  Currently I've been bringing down the overall cost of my console games by either renting at Redbox or buying games with the intent of reselling on eBay as soon as I can.  Microsoft's used game policy may be killing both of those avenues for me.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »

Based on the presentations only:

PS4 no question.

Now that MS is in full damage control/panic mode though and with E3 up soon, that could change...although they would have to do something pretty incredible or be priced WAY lower than the PS4 for me to entertain getting one at launch at this point. I am sure I will have one at some point, but not until the price goes way down. I'm not paying full price for two new consoles at the same time and the PS4 has way more going for it right now, IMO.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on May 28, 2013, 04:46:43 PM

Now that MS is in full damage control/panic mode

Are they? My impression is that they act calm and confident in the press right now, which is kind of at odds with what I'd expect them to do.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 28, 2013, 05:20:31 PM

Quote from: Hetz on May 28, 2013, 04:46:43 PM

Now that MS is in full damage control/panic mode

Are they? My impression is that they act calm and confident in the press right now, which is kind of at odds with what I'd expect them to do.

If your spokespeople can't act calm and confident even in the face of crisis, you need spokespeople.

I don't think any of us can pretend to know what MSFT is doing behind the scenes to the initial reactions, but given what I know about developing product, there is probably very little they can do to change any of the specifics of the launch.  Ride the course out, plan to pivot if necessary/where possible, then pivot when possible.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 28, 2013, 03:37:13 PM

groupthink direction GTers will go for multiplayer

as little non-MMO MP I do lately I find this is becoming less and less relevant to me.  of course I also have high standards for who I let on my friends list- one has to be at least as intelligent as U.2.K for me to consider granting them a spot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »

Right now, neither. I want to know how much they are. I also want to know if either will continue to allow borrowed / used game as they are allowed this gen. If I can't borrow games, I plan on being a late adopter or at least holding out until a must have comes out that isn't payable on my current pc.

At this point I think it's more likely I will buy a Wii U (which I currently think is just awful) before the other two, but this is based on my hopes that they will release a Zelda or Metroid game that doesn't suck and that if they do the console will cost much less by then.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: