http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Wars '05  (Read 19749 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2005, 11:50:09 PM »

(MLB 2K5)  Just got done playing a game with my Tigers Vs. The Twins.  13 Innings.  Almost no hits on either side, I did have a couple close calls with a runner on 3rd, or 1st and 3rd.  Managed to work my way out of them.  The Comp had his times like this as well.  Wasnt until the 6th Inning that I managed to hit a homerun just over the wall, that the comp almost grabbed.    Comp is now up to bat, after my next 2 strikeouts.  1st batter grounds to 3rd and I get him at first.  Next hitter.  1st pitch down on outside, he watches.  2nd pitch cutter fastball down and in, and he CRANKS it over the wall.  439 feet.  Now we go all the way till the 13th inning.  1st batter ground out.  2nd batter small fly passed the infield for a single, so I take him over, trying to get the pitcher to throw to first and miss throw, he wont have it though.  Count is 2-1 now with me on 1st.  He manages to walk the batter, so now runners on 1st, and 2nd.  Pressure meter at full.  1st pitch a strike.  My heart starts to skip as I figure the comp is just going to strike me out.  Next pitch in the dirt, so we both advance to 2nd and third.  Now he manages to walk the hitter.  Bases Loaded.  1st pitch.  Strike.  2nd pitch Ball.  1-1, 1 out, bases loaded.  He now throws 3 more balls.  Game won, on a base on balls.  PHEW!  Best game I played yet.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2005, 01:09:10 AM »

ok, I'm selling my pc version of MVP on ebay which will sale today, and I already picked up the xbox version.  Add me to your play list.  I'll be available friday night after 6pm pacific
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2005, 04:02:16 AM »

I'll have the PC version of MVP arriving tomorrow.  I have to admit, after all I've read about it here, this is the most excited I've been for a baseball game in a long, long time.   biggrin
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2005, 04:20:48 AM »

just give you a heads up Gwark, be prepared for choppiness.  No matter how fast your computer is.  Throwing across the field is murder.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2005, 03:35:17 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
just give you a heads up Gwark, be prepared for choppiness.  No matter how fast your computer is.  Throwing across the field is murder.

Not necessarily, with the broadcast fielding cam choppiness was significantly reduced. Now I barely notice it.

Anyway, I think a little choppiness is worth dealing with when you have access to some of the incredible mods that are out there.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2005, 05:13:43 AM »

I've read through this thread.  I want to know from you guys about this bottom line: is it worth it to open up MLB 2K5 and play it or should I just send it back?  It sounds like it has a lot of problems I probably don't want to deal with.  From what I've played of MVP (not much) I am finding that pretty enjoyable and at least a little better from what I remember of last year.

So, is MLB 2K5 worth it or not?  Right now it's sounding like it is not.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
reklaw190
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2005, 05:21:41 AM »

i just got mvp 05 and i don't have a controller for my pc (actually i do but apparently it isn't supported.  after a few games i've noticed... i can't move... now im playing on a laptop.  Does anyone have a website where i can find movement controls and every other control because this is getting ridiculous
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2005, 05:45:21 AM »

I recommend this gamepad for the pc.  It works with all of EA sports games and it feels like an xbox controller

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p880.htm

As for whether or not on playing MLB?  I've played both versions of MVP (PC and xbox), and I also have and played MLB.  MVP is by far the superior game.  That wild pitching bug is really a huge turnoff and it affects gameplay.  MLB's animation isn't that great compared to MVP, but the graphics and immersion factor kills MVP.  I personally think MVP gives you a better experience.

Infact, I think the xbox version of MVP is the best.  PC looked prettier, but controls didn't feel right.  MVP on the xbox feels natural
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2005, 08:25:09 PM »

I will PM you the sliders I have as soon as I tweak them a bit more. No problem.

Please PM me, or post them.  I'm loving MVP the more I play it.  I may play around with the Owner mode a bit, see how that goes.  It looks fairly amusing.   I've played a bunch of games this weekend, and haven't felt a need to try MLB again.   MVP seems pretty solid to start though, I'm fairly impressed.  I haven't liked a baseball game like this since High Heat.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2005, 02:18:23 AM »

operation sports are saying that if you .move the error slider to 50. in MLB 2k5 the wild pitches are gone.  I haven't tried it yet, but just thought i'd let you know
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2005, 02:34:17 AM »

operation sports are saying that if you .move the error slider to 50. in MLB 2k5 the wild pitches are gone.  I haven't tried it yet, but just thought i'd let you know

How exactly would that work?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2005, 02:56:21 AM »

you go to the sliders,  find the error slider, move it to 50 and then play and see Tongue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2005, 03:39:32 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I will PM you the sliders I have as soon as I tweak them a bit more. No problem.

Please PM me, or post them.  I'm loving MVP the more I play it.  I may play around with the Owner mode a bit, see how that goes.  It looks fairly amusing.   I've played a bunch of games this weekend, and haven't felt a need to try MLB again.   MVP seems pretty solid to start though, I'm fairly impressed.  I haven't liked a baseball game like this since High Heat.

Yep.  I'm done with MLB2k5 too.  Unbelievably, I like an EA game better.  Will wonders never cease!!!

Sliders for AllStar or Pro Scott?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2005, 04:20:39 AM »

send me a copy too please
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2005, 10:32:57 AM »

I love MVP except for one thing; I can't hit a changeup to save my life.  With hitter's eye, I know it's coming but i can NEVER seem to wait long enough *cry*

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2005, 01:04:33 PM »

you go to the sliders,  find the error slider, move it to 50 and then play and see Tongue

No no.  You are miss the point.  Tongue  How exactly does turning the error slider UP make errors go DOWN.  

Mike

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2005, 01:48:34 PM »

I don't know, i just got it from operation sports.  They said that seemed to fix the problem
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »

Quote from: "jessie"
I love MVP except for one thing; I can't hit a changeup to save my life.  With hitter's eye, I know it's coming but i can NEVER seem to wait long enough *cry*

I have the exact same problem. I've gotten to the point where I can make contact but I almost always pull it to far and foul it off. That or pop up or hit a weak grounder to first or third base. I do the same thing on really slow curves.

I've found the batting mini-game helps with this, it's gotten me to the point where I don't whiff on all off-speed pitches (plus you can get a ton of MVP points if you do well). I've unlocked Billy Williams and Fergie Jenkins so far smile.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2005, 05:28:38 PM »

Quote from: "godhugh"
Quote from: "jessie"

I have the exact same problem. I've gotten to the point where I can make contact but I almost always pull it to far and foul it off. That or pop up or hit a weak grounder to first or third base. I do the same thing on really slow curves.

I've found the batting mini-game helps with this, it's gotten me to the point where I don't whiff on all off-speed pitches (plus you can get a ton of MVP points if you do well). I've unlocked Billy Williams and Fergie Jenkins so far smile.

The change up isn't my problem.  With Hitter's Eye, I can identify it and time it right, provided I'm not sitting dead red on a fastball.  If I am, then I look silly.

My problem is when a pitcher throws both a slider AND a curve.  They both show up as red with Hitter's Eye, and I can only figure out what pitch it is by the angle of the release.  I'm getting better at that, but am still by no means good.   Where the real problem is with pitchers who throw these two pitches at VERY distinct speeds.  Again, I hate to say it, but Eric Gagne is still my problem here.  His curveball is 69mph... his slider is 89mph... I am pwn3d.

gellar
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2005, 06:02:50 PM »

Sliders for AllStar or Pro Scott?

Which plays better for you?  Or is allstar just harder?

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2005, 07:15:20 PM »

I'll send you both, as they are quite different, and you can play whichever you like.

- - - -

Hey, is it true this is the last year for MVP Baseball with real names and ballparks?

If it is... then I have to endure TakeTwo's Baseball and EA's Football games until the exclusivity clause has run it's course????

If so, I'm just going to play MMO's, cause that is just WRONG!

LD  frown

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2005, 07:18:53 PM »

Yes, this is the last year for MVP with real stuff on it unless EA finds a loophole.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2005, 07:22:21 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I'll send you both, as they are quite different, and you can play whichever you like.

- - - -

Hey, is it true this is the last year for MVP Baseball with real names and ballparks?

If it is... then I have to endure TakeTwo's Baseball and EA's Football games until the exclusivity clause has run it's course????

If so, I'm just going to play MMO's, cause that is just WRONG!

LD  frown

Pick up the PC version of MVP. slywink

Then you can play the game for the next few years since the mods will extend the life of the game almost indefinitely.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2005, 07:33:46 PM »

Hey Lockdown!

I need a break from all my heavy, serious talk in the Off-Topic forum.  Can you send me both your slider sets as well?  After all, you still owe me a beer from that hockey tournament you cheated in! :wink:   Send me the slider settings and we will call it even. :wink:   Actually, it was your comments in this thread that convinced me to get MVP instead of 2K5.  Like you I hate everyting EA.

Thanks Man!

P.S.  I'm available also to play MVP online whenever you are free.  Drop me a line!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2005, 07:42:36 PM »

Is anyone else getting REALLY annoyed with the commentary in this game (MVP)?  It's just bloody awful.

gellar
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »

Oh yeah, the commentary is really bad. If I hear 'That was a purpose pitch...' one more time, I'll...I'll just try to ignore it.

Having a blast with the game, though. Playing pro after a fantasy draft and my Padres are 3-3 right now. I find the most difficult thing is getting a feel for whether a pitch is going to be in the strike zone or not...to me, so far, it seems like release point is unrelated to where the ball crosses the plate, even taking pitch type into account. Sometimes the same pitcher will throw a curve that drops 12-6 for a ball and then later will drop it right in the middle from the same release. Not a complaint; just trying to figure it out.

I'm also finding pitching too easy. Even when my #5 starter is down to 25% stamina late in the game, he's still nailing the corners.

Lockdown, I'd love your sliders. Also, could you describe the difference between pro and all-star? I'm 3-3 in pro with the losses due to my lack of hitting and not due to any lack of pitching on my part. I wonder how all-star would change my games and playing style. Would I get jacked 10-0 repeatedly due to CPU 'cheating' by just nailing every pitch?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »

All-Star = two things:

1) You cannot hit for crap.  If you're not generating offense on Pro, don't go to All-Star.

2) If you make a mistake pitching, the AI will likely crank it out of the park.  Your whoopsie = their dinger.

gellar
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2005, 08:45:31 PM »

Yes, MVP's commentary sucks...but after years of playing Madden it is nothing new to me from EA honestly.  It's one of the weakest parts of EA Sports line (the commentary).

Anyway, I plan to get down and dirty with this game (and return MLB 2K5 unopened) sometime soon.  I also notice that a lot of people want LD's stash...you guys must be hard up! slywink

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »

Did you know that you don't have to swing at every pitch; that sometimes the pitcher will throw balls?

Man, I suck at MVP -- having a lot of fun with it though.  I've had two games go to extra innings on rookie...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2005, 10:50:36 PM »

Quote from: "Sam is the Man"
Oh yeah, the commentary is really bad. If I hear 'That was a purpose pitch...' one more time, I'll...I'll just try to ignore it.

Having a blast with the game, though. Playing pro after a fantasy draft and my Padres are 3-3 right now. I find the most difficult thing is getting a feel for whether a pitch is going to be in the strike zone or not...to me, so far, it seems like release point is unrelated to where the ball crosses the plate, even taking pitch type into account. Sometimes the same pitcher will throw a curve that drops 12-6 for a ball and then later will drop it right in the middle from the same release. Not a complaint; just trying to figure it out.

I'm also finding pitching too easy. Even when my #5 starter is down to 25% stamina late in the game, he's still nailing the corners.

Lockdown, I'd love your sliders. Also, could you describe the difference between pro and all-star? I'm 3-3 in pro with the losses due to my lack of hitting and not due to any lack of pitching on my part. I wonder how all-star would change my games and playing style. Would I get jacked 10-0 repeatedly due to CPU 'cheating' by just nailing every pitch?

If you use either Pared's or Jistic's sliders (they're on OS)  then that disparity kind of evens out.

In other words, instead of just sucking at hitting...you'll suck at both hitting and pitching like me slywink.

In all seriousness both sets of sliders make user pitching more difficult while making hitting more realistic (more CPU balls, more fouls, etc...). I've switched to Jistic's recently and I like it a bit better since it focuses more on user pitching then Pared's.
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2005, 11:58:10 PM »

Awesome...I'll give those a try. More fouls sounds great, since they're so rare right now.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2005, 02:15:29 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Is anyone else getting REALLY annoyed with the commentary in this game (MVP)?  It's just bloody awful.

gellar

those announcers in MVP, they do the play by play for the Giants Tongue  They are a lot better in real life

In madden 2005 you can listen to different sound modes.  you can do Play by Play, or just the PA system.  That would be cool if that's included.  I keep forgetting to look
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2005, 07:34:33 AM »

ARGH. Stayed up late (with wife's blessing) to play a game in my season, and it was a beauty of a game, only to have the game crash on me as I transitioned from the box score to my dynasty screen to save. Lost the whole game. Damn that is frustrating, since going back and replaying the game just feels plain wrong after investing the time.

Anyone else experienced this? It's the first time in 7 games, but this sort of thing happened to me with HH2001 and it really killed the experience. It's very hard to get into a season when you worry that any time you invest may just get erased. I'm wondering if it's a rarity or if I need to prepare myself for frustration...
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2005, 01:25:29 PM »

Well, I've played between 40-50 games of MVP and I haven't experienced one crash yet and I haven't seen any reports on the board of there being problems. So I think it's safe to say that it was either a one-off crash or a very, very rare one.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2005, 12:41:17 AM »

Anyone else experienced this?

I've had the game crash twice on me.  I'm fairly certain it was because the disk was dirty though, with a few scratches thanks to a two year old.  I've cleaned it up and will see if I have any other troubles.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2005, 12:44:27 AM »

Hey, Pocho, Lockdown, Hector, Sally, Whatever You're Calling Yourself Today:

Why don't you cut the crap with the email/PM garbage and just post your friggin sliders!!

Jerk!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2005, 01:41:58 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Why don't you cut the crap with the email/PM garbage and just post your friggin sliders!!

Jerk!

When do you want to get your ass kicked again on Live!?   :twisted:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2005, 01:43:10 AM »

Thursday maybe? Before or after Scott kicks my ass?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2005, 02:47:02 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Jerk!

I have you on record using a derogatory name toward another forum member!  

Surely this is grounds for immediate dismissal from the forums along with a hefty fine and possible lawsuit for slander.  Not to mention, at minimum, 10 counts of Thread AbandonmentTM after starting said thread yourself.

I will research this further and get back to you.....

Until then... Admins.... take him away!

LD   Tongue

LD

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2005, 05:21:49 AM »

Thanks for sliders lockdown.  I tried them tonight and won 5-1.  I've been playing on Pro and to be honest, I felt hitting on pro was harder than your sliders Tongue  I'm not complaining though.  I'll try a few more games and then maybe make some adjustments.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: