http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Wars '05  (Read 19719 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2005, 10:29:03 AM »

Scott/Devil -

The online issues with MVP are very disappointing to hear.  Especially because I think the game is so good, and more importantly, has so few bugs.

Regarding MLB2k5 online... Still have not tried it.  I read that it plays pretty smooth, but a big complaint is the K-Zone Interface can be seen by both players during pitching.  I don't know if this is true, but if it is, what a huge mistake.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2005, 11:21:52 AM »

That is untrue.  You cannot see the other players K-Zone pitching...at all.  Unless they make an error and it the ball shows up to go into K-Zone, you'll have no clue where they're putting it.

Online play is excellent for mlb2k5.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2005, 12:41:49 PM »

Regarding MLB2k5 online... Still have not tried it. I read that it plays pretty smooth, but a big complaint is the K-Zone Interface can be seen by both players during pitching. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, what a huge mistake.

Ugh.  That sucks.  I guess it simulates sitting next to each other, but you shouldn't have to live with that online.  In MVP, the pitching meter is more of a distraction really.  You still have to watch the pitch to see if it is a strike or not.  The pitching meter, if you get good though, can tip you off if it is going to be a meatball or not.  Still sucks, if for no other reason then distracting.  

edit: Didn't see missinglink's comment.  Cool.  I don't want to grab ESPN too though, ugh.

The biggest problem really was the lag, based on replays it seems.  If that is fixed, the game could be pretty good online.

I just tried to create an online game, didn't see a way to disable replays, and couldn't figure it out in game last night with Devil.  Hopefully someone else has played online and it was just my connection causing the problem.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »

Actually, TML's post is very encouraging, especially since I have made my decision to use MVP for my Franchise and MLB2k5 for my online gaming. (A few family members prefer MLB2k5, and they are primarily who I will play online with).  

This is perfect!!!!

On a side note, in some option (somewhere) in MVP, you can turn the replay frequency down.  I don't know if this option is available in online play, but I would imagine it is if you know where to find it.  Also, if you ever want to try MVP05 online, just let me know.  The pitch meter showing up for both players doesn't bother me in the least, as I am so used to playing with my nephew on the same tv.  Lag, however is a different story.  Just ask Devil... I have no patience at all for laggy games.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2005, 02:25:14 PM »

Ponch - We on for tonight or should I schedule Mike for a game?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2005, 03:01:14 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "godhugh"
I know this is Console Gold and all, but I think it should be mentioned that if you pick up the PC version of MVP2K5 you'll be able to get access to a TON of mods. A bunch have already been released...

Hmmm...last I checked we've been covering PC stuff, including reviews.  Just because the name has Console in it doesn't mean we don't cover PC stuff post-GG death.

Yes, I know that. But I figured everyone here was talking about console versions of the game and that was my cheesy way of saying that slywink.

Anywho, I played about 10 more games of MVP last night and I'm in love. Easily the best arcade baseball game since High Heat.

I moved up to All-Star level and used some sliders I found on OpSports. First game with them Kerry Wood got shelled, gave up 3 HR's (two to Dave Roberts  :shock: ) and walked a few batters. I was only able to put one run on Woody Williams, but I drew a couple walks and squandered a base loaded - no outs situation. I also had a couple very memorable battles where I worked the count full and then fouled off 3-4 pitches. Good stuff.

Second game was Carlos Zambrano vs. Brian Lawrence. Pitched beautifully with Zambrano, his splitfinger is absolutely wicked. I was able to jam hitter after hitter with that thing. Zambrano went 8 innings with 3 hits, 9 K's, and 0 runs allowed. It took me a while to pick up on Lawrence's curveball, but I got the hang of it eventually. In the 6th the Cubs offense finally let loose.

Walker led off with a single to left, Nomar then drew a walk. A-Ram came up and jacked a 3 run HR onto Waveland. Lee then came out and hit a double and was knocked in by a Burnitz single. Lawrence was then taken out and that was pretty much ballgame. We got a couple more runs of Seanez and Dempster allowed one in the 9th. Final score 8-1.

Fun stuff smile.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2005, 03:01:16 PM »

Tonight is OUT unless we play at like 6:30pm, which I am assuming is too early for you.

If you can play that early, GREAT.

If not, it's no biggie.  Good luck against Prior.  I want a recap of how Vlad does against him.  Not to mention I'll laugh big time if Nomar hits Big Fat up and down!

LD

LD

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2005, 05:28:03 PM »

So, Devil, when do you want your beatdown?   :twisted:

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2005, 05:53:26 PM »

Could anyone describe the stats in MVP? Do simmed games generate detailed individual stats which can be looked at all season long, or is it like last year where sim games only generate a score?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2005, 06:48:38 PM »

Sam, I'm not at home, so I can't answer for sure.  

I do know that if you go into Manage Mode, and fast sim it that way, you get a Line and Box Score.  (and the stats are very close to real)  

My guess is that if you Sim only (not from Manage Mode), that you would only get a Line Score.  But I'm not sure of that.

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2005, 02:30:36 AM »

Played three games of MVP online tonight.  The first two got cancelled because I was cheating apparently.  The first game I accidently hit two batters in a row, because I couldn't time the damn meter.  So my pitcher got ejected, then I did.  The second time, I was on my way to third for a triple.  I have no idea what happened that time.  Maybe a bug.

The third game went pretty well.  Some laggy play, but not to bad.  No real freezes like when I played Devil.  Actually there was one during play, before any replays.  I'm just not sold MVP is very good online yet.

I bought and played some of MLB 2k5 today.  The presentation is awesome, very cool.  I'm actually watching replays, and stats of the players.  The animation looks pretty good too.  The K-Zone thing isn't to bad, much better then I thought.  I'm not sure I like it more then the meter though.  I'm wavering between the games right now.  Depends how well MLB plays online.

Any online leagues at all?

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2005, 03:16:04 AM »

Played Devil in MLB tonight.  I think my connection is bad, so it is possible MVP is more then fine online.  We got dropped in both games, with a bunch of pauses.  I think MLB detects the issue much better, but is quicker to bail.

I really like MLB, graphics, and gameplay so far.  Are there really a ton of bugs?  Any online CG league for it?

How does one go about testing a connection for Live?

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2005, 04:14:04 AM »

Played them both some more tonight.

It's now getting to the point where (gameplay wise) I think MVP is the far superior product.  The way all the meters are handled to simulate pitcher stamina, pressure situations, actual player stats, etc... is just amazing.  Then, on top of that, you throw in proper slider adjustments, and you have an unbeatable mix imo.  

No matter what I do in MLB, and I mean no matter what I do, I can go a whole game and nibble at the corners and never walk anyone, ever.  That is not acceptable.  Meanwhile in MVP, I am honing in on sliders that make it the first arcade baseball game ever (with the exception of HH) that makes walking opposing batters almost commonplace (if I wanted that of course).

And no, I have not made any final decisions.  I sway like a blade of grass in the breeze every few days on these games as I play more and discover more; but the final picture is finally starting to unblur as the shiny presentation of MLB begins to where off and the nuts and bolts get more and more revealed.  Kush let some ridiculous things get by QA.

More to come.

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2005, 04:23:13 AM »

Nice work, Ponch!

I'm leaning towards MVP this year too. My hatred for the meters can be adjusted with sliders while the views and pitching in ESPN are killing me!!

Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2005, 04:32:58 AM »

Thanks for the info Lockdown. So if I play a season, can I switch to manage mode to sim games and then back to play games?

Also, can you go back and look at stats from games played earlier in the season?

Sorry for the boring questions...but I need a decent baseball game and am tempted, but last year this lack of stats killed MVP for me.

As did 3 other things:
-unable to quit and save midgame, as I dont always have time to play a full game
-never needing the bullpen...my starter could go all 9, although maybe this was just a difficulty/slider thing
-very unintuitive and cumbersome interface in terms of in-game subs (pitching changes, pinch hits, etc) as well as minor league/major league call-ups and send-downs

Do you guys feel this stuff is better this year?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2005, 11:19:41 AM »

Quote from: "Sam is the Man"
Thanks for the info Lockdown. So if I play a season, can I switch to manage mode to sim games and then back to play games?

Also, can you go back and look at stats from games played earlier in the season?

Sorry for the boring questions...but I need a decent baseball game and am tempted, but last year this lack of stats killed MVP for me.

As did 3 other things:
-unable to quit and save midgame, as I dont always have time to play a full game
-never needing the bullpen...my starter could go all 9, although maybe this was just a difficulty/slider thing
-very unintuitive and cumbersome interface in terms of in-game subs (pitching changes, pinch hits, etc) as well as minor league/major league call-ups and send-downs

Do you guys feel this stuff is better this year?

Manage Mode Question:  Yes
Go back to look at stats:  Only Line Scores (not box scores)
Lack of stats killing you:  I think it's pretty much the same this year.  Sorry.
Saving Midgame:  Will look into it.  My guess is neither game lets you do that this year.  Games go fast though, if that helps.
Never Needing Bullpen: Are you ever in for a treat!  The way pitching (along with stamina and player performance) is handled this year is amazing.  
Intuitive Interface: Biggest change the game made imo.  (and it needed to).  Some may say they made it too easy this year.  The white button will do things I only dreamed of it letting you do before.  Information and options at your fingertips.
Call ups/Send Downs:  Has its own "menu button" this year.  Could not be easier in my opinion.

One last note on simming games... There are 3 different ways to sim.  There is QuickSim (no boxscores available after a game, just a linescore), there is Sim (boxscores available after a game), and there is Manage (boxscores available after a game).  As noted above, only the linescore is available to view later on as the season progresses.

And you didn't mention it, but for the record, the sliders in MVP05 (this year) can literally change the game.  Two people with two different sets of sliders can play a completely different game on-field.  Not only do they "work" - they are a godsend.  The fact that Devil and I are both leaning toward MVP (and you must realize his utter hatred for meters and my utter hatred for nearly all things EA) says a TON in itself.   :wink:  

Also, although you didn't ask, MLB2k5 kicks some major, major ass in the stats area this year.  It tracks all sorts of stuff, including true Team Stats, team rankings during the course of the year in pitching and batting stuff, Hot/Cold Hitters, and more.  Note however that in this game, you can't go back to old games and even see the Line Scores.  No game history (per se) whatsoever.  (at least that I'm aware of).
Hope that helps a bit.  

LD

LD

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2005, 01:13:17 PM »

Lack of stats killing you: I think it's pretty much the same this year. Sorry.

Actually, it's quite a bit more in-depth. You can't view individual stats on a game by game basis, but season and career statistics are suprisingly deep. You can view all the standard stats for pitchers and batters, lefty-right splits, home-away splits (I believe, have to confirm), and quite a few others.

It's one thing that really caught my by surprise, usually EA could care less about stats.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2005, 01:35:07 PM »

Actually, it's quite a bit more in-depth. You can't view individual stats on a game by game basis, but season and career statistics are suprisingly deep. You can view all the standard stats for pitchers and batters, lefty-right splits, home-away splits (I believe, have to confirm), and quite a few others.

This wasn't in last year's game?  Hmmm... shows how good my memory is.   frown

Thanks for clarifying that.

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2005, 01:48:49 PM »

Cool, thanks for the info Lockdown.  MLB has a lot of flash this year, but I haven't played nearly enough to really like it, or see any problems.  MVP seems pretty solid.  Let us know when you've nailed the sliders, and share them smile.  

I think walking the opposing team, and being able to draw walks was one of the defining traits of High Heat, at least for me.  That opened up so much, like wearing down starters, bullpen use, etc.  If MVP does that, great!

Now if I can figure out my connection woes.

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »

I can post some sliders I am working with if you want.  Or, I can wait until after the weekend and give you closer-to-final ones.  Let me know, and I will PM you Scott.  

LD

LD

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2005, 02:11:24 PM »

What level are you playing at LD?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2005, 03:04:37 PM »

I am playing at All-Star with sliders to bring it closer to Pro for some things.  I feel pretty good about my tweaks with the grand (and I mean GRAND) exception of Home Runs Allowed by me.  Although some of that could be my own fault as I need to remind myself to mix up my pitches more, which seems to yield more success.  

If the AI had eyes, I bet they would get as big as saucers when they see me switch to All-Star difficulty...  "Hey!  He's going All-Star!  It's time to go yard on his ass!  Woohoo!!!"

Working on it.

LD  :?

LD

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2005, 03:25:02 PM »

Yep, you HAVE to mix up your locations and pitch outside the zone on All-Star, Ponch.  I found that out the hard way too.  The computer WILL guess where you're throwing if you throw to the same quadrant too often; if you mix and match both pitches and locations, you should be fine.  And yes, sometimes that does mean throwing to the red zones for some hitters.

Mike

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2005, 03:38:10 PM »

Yep, mixing up locations and speeds is absolutely crucial. It's okay to stay with one pitch as your designated strike out or groundball pitch, but you have to set it up with a good mixture.

Take Zambrano for instance.

I set up a hitter with some breaking balls low and away and a couple tailing fastballs up and out of the zone. Typically this will put the count at 2-2 or 1-2 depending on how many balls he fouled off. I'll then throw his awesome splitter up and in and 3/4 of the time I'm able to jam the hitter and get a groundball.

Other times I'll start the AB off with a 96mph heater right under his chin. Typically the batter will back off a little bit. I'll then throw the splitter low and away, but still in the zone. Quite a few times the hitter will reach for it (since it will be a strike if he lets it go) and just knock a harmless GB to first.

In addition to those, you'll find that some hitters have huge holes in their swing. Brian Giles for instance. That fool couldn't hit a splitter up and in to save his life. So I'll work that area to death then, once he starts fouling them off, I'll toss a nice slow curve down and away. Whiff!

It's all about setting up your out pitch, whether your intent is a K or a GB.

With regards to game sliders, I'm using Pared's on OS. Seems to work really well on All-Star so far.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2005, 03:49:21 PM »

Zambrano is NASTY in MLB 2K5.  Better than Prior, possibly, due to more pop on the fastball and his nasty splitter and sinker.  But that might just be based off of using Zambrano only once so far.

Mike

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2005, 04:02:56 PM »

You guys want to face a fun guy...

Try going against Pineiro from the Mariners.  I think he is their 2nd or 3rd starter.  He has a slider that comes in so fast it will make you laugh.  He also has another pitch (can't think of what it is now) that breaks out of the zone so late it is almost unfair.  He is a blast to try and hit against, especially with my weak-ass hitting Astros!

LD

LD

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2005, 04:03:57 PM »

The 'cheating' issue was wacky...  Hitting two batters with two pitches was just funny (at that point, it was the only way I was ever getting on base).  But it never gave me an option either game to keep playing or not.  Wasn't even a ranked game, so I don't quite understand that.

Once I learn how to hit the ball, then I can start to learn how to do the fielding....  First game with no batters box and manual fielding just was sucking so bad I was kind of glad that Scott started to cheat  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2005, 06:17:45 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the info! I'm thinking that if I can see individual stats after each game is simmed, that may be enough for me...I don't think that going back to older games will be all that necessary as long as I sim one-by-one.

By the way, I am only interested in MVP because I only own a PC...so I am taking all of this discussion and applying it to the PC version. Hopefully everything is pretty much the same, although who knows how the interface issue will compare between console and PC.

Lockdown, I'd definitely be interested in your slider settings when you feel pretty good about them. I wouldn't even know where to begin myself, and my 16-month old makes taking the time to work out all the settings impossible. Heck, it may take me 2 years just to get through a season.

Thanks again!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2005, 06:52:24 PM »

Quote from: "Sam is the Man"
Wow, thanks for all the info! I'm thinking that if I can see individual stats after each game is simmed, that may be enough for me...I don't think that going back to older games will be all that necessary as long as I sim one-by-one.

By the way, I am only interested in MVP because I only own a PC...so I am taking all of this discussion and applying it to the PC version. Hopefully everything is pretty much the same, although who knows how the interface issue will compare between console and PC.

Lockdown, I'd definitely be interested in your slider settings when you feel pretty good about them. I wouldn't even know where to begin myself, and my 16-month old makes taking the time to work out all the settings impossible. Heck, it may take me 2 years just to get through a season.

Thanks again!

I have the PC version of MVP, so all my stuff comes from that version.

You can see individual game stats as long as you don't "Quick Sim". You first see a menu that lets you choose to "Play" or "Quick Sim" a game. Choose "Play". You then get three more options, "Play", "Sim", and "Manage Mode". Choose "Sim". It will sim the game and then show you the box score with each players individual stats.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2005, 06:58:01 PM »

With regards to game sliders, I'm using Pared's on OS. Seems to work really well on All-Star so far.

I'm using those as well.

As far as the thoughest pitcher I've faced... Eric Gagne.  A high 90's fastball followed up with a 60 mph curve is frikkin unhittable.  I look so inept against him.

Which is my my absolutely lucky walk off solo home run with JT Snow in the bottom of the 16th against Gagne just made my night a few days ago biggrin

gellar
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »

No need for thanks, as this type of discussion is why this board exists... but you're very welcome.   smile

I will PM you the sliders I have as soon as I tweak them a bit more.  No problem.

And I understand your deal with stats.  I am the same way.  The nice advantage you have of having the PC version is if there are any major problems found down the road, it will most likely get dealt with.  Although so far, it looks like clear sailing.  

And in regards to Pared's sliders, they are a constant work in progess.  He is a great guy, and pays attention to lots of things others do not, which is great.  But Pared is a good player.  I, otoh, suck.  So my sliders are like his, but for the physically impaired.   :wink:

Enjoy!

LD

LD

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2005, 07:20:26 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

I'm using those as well.

As far as the thoughest pitcher I've faced... Eric Gagne.  A high 90's fastball followed up with a 60 mph curve is frikkin unhittable.  I look so inept against him.

Which is my my absolutely lucky walk off solo home run with JT Snow in the bottom of the 16th against Gagne just made my night a few days ago biggrin

gellar

For a starter in the same vein, try hitting against Zach Greinke. Dude has a 52mph curveball. As someone on OS said, it resembles Bugs Bunny.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2005, 07:24:44 PM »

On the topic of tough pitchers... that is yet another reason I love this Hitter's Eye thing (or whatever it's called).  Some pitchers hide that ball so well, you don't know what's coming until it's too late.  Then you can go down to play some AA ball, and know what's coming before the ball even leaves certain pitcher's hands.  What a fantastic addition to this game!

LD

LD

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2005, 07:42:18 PM »

I'm using those as well.

gellar

For a starter in the same vein, try hitting against Zach Greinke. Dude has a 52mph curveball. As someone on OS said, it resembles Bugs Bunny.

The thing with Gagne is... it's not just those two pitches.  Dude has like 3 more he busts out on occassion with too.  It's just not fair.

My strategy facing him is to wait until he throws a fastball, hope it's over the plate, and swing.  All the other pitches are just too wrong for me even to attempt swinging on.

Of course, by the time you recognize the pitch *is* a fastball, you're probably too late to swing.

Fun game.

gellar
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2005, 07:46:15 PM »

I'm using those as well.

gellar

The thing with Gagne is... it's not just those two pitches.  Dude has like 3 more he busts out on occassion with too.  It's just not fair.

My strategy facing him is to wait until he throws a fastball, hope it's over the plate, and swing.  All the other pitches are just too wrong for me even to attempt swinging on.

Of course, by the time you recognize the pitch *is* a fastball, you're probably too late to swing.

Fun game.

gellar

I haven't tried to hit against Gagne yet, but does he hide the ball well during his delivery?

As LD mentioned, with hitters eye you can sometimes see the ball prior to release.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2005, 07:48:39 PM »

I'm using those as well.

gellar

Fun game.

gellar

I haven't tried to hit against Gagne yet, but does he hide the ball well during his delivery?

As LD mentioned, with hitters eye you can sometimes see the ball prior to release.

He does.  His delivery is very much overhand, and seemingly late (maybe cause he's tall).  I actually don't think I pick up the pitch until well AFTER it leaves his hand, so I have exactly .0000000000001 seconds to decide if a) it's a fastball, and b) if it has a chance at possibly crossing the plate.

gellar
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2005, 07:52:58 PM »

Sounds awesome!

I'm playing the Dodgers tonight just to experience the pain!

Thanks.

LD

LD

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2005, 07:53:55 PM »

Damn, I am not looking forward to that experience.

Well, actually I am, but only because it's so freakin' cool that MVP allows you to think about this kind of thing smile.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2005, 08:09:41 PM »

Nothing like starting a thread and then not contributing to it.

Where are you Boston-Man?  Let me guess... playing with your new gameboy?

LD  Tongue

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2005, 11:01:11 PM »

I'm the Ken Linseman of CG.

I take a cheap shot to get things started then let everyone else do the heavy lifting.

biggrin

When are we playing?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: