http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Wars '05  (Read 19541 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »

Well, MLB2k5 does have its flaws, but it's the most beautifully presented baseball game I've ever seen. For $20 US ($30 canadian) I have played already 12 games, and I know I'm going to play more. I'm easily getting my money's worth.

Even without fatigue in season mode (I still think there's an option that I need to turn on) it's a game I want to keep playing. There is in game fatigue, but there doesn't seem to be any between game fatigue.

Yes, there are flaws. But most of them have been minor. Again, I've played 12 games so far, and I've only seen two critical mistakes in the game.

I'm more concerned with the throwing arms of players. Everyone seems to be able to throw a rocket. Usually if a guy gets a single into the outfield (I use the word single lightly) he should be able to beat the right fielder to first base. And even though you should be able to send a runner from second home on a single, it's still scary if the guy isn't a fast baserunner.

But it's easy to focus on these negatives. When a game is modelled after a real sport, you end up expecting the realism and it's easy to focus on things that may have been done wrong. (Like, for example, the infield fly rule. That one's easy to screw up) But we should focus on the positives of the game.

The presentation, from the menu system to the commentary to the in game graphics and camera angles are *sharp*. I have never seen another baseball game that looked so good and sounded so good. The custom soundtrack feature is something I just started playing with. There's something special about having Albert Pujols get a home run at home and hearing the custom soundtrack kick in with a techno beat of 'this house is really jumpin'.

And the pitching interface is impressive. The little mini game (get the circles as close to the target location as possible) is fantastic. The batting - try to guess the location of the pitch to have a better chance of hitting. If you guess dead on you get a great chance of getting a homer. Making that 'slam zone' thing, which seemed like a bad idea, really not. I really love the batting and pitching in the game. It's a lot of fun. And as a pitcher, you really see why your pitches get hit. If you don't mix up the pitches (location AND type) or get into a predictable pattern, you get into a lot of trouble.

The fielding feels nice. The animations are great. I've never once tried the showboating (because I guess I'm just a baseball purist) but it's neat that it's in there. The double play animations are sometimes just incredible.

Baserunning takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you'll find that it's a very smooth, fluid interface. I've never found one I liked better.

And the replays are just gorgeous to watch. They're fast, and fluid.

After 12 games since Friday evening (that's under 48 hours, so about 8 hours of playing in that time) I'm not quite ready to give a final verdict on the game, but I would guess that a final score on this would be in the high part of the 8/10 range. It's not perfect, but it's a great way to spend a few weeks.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2005, 08:29:42 PM »

Nice to read all of the impressions in here!

After spending two days of running from my bed to my bathroom with some kind of stomach bug (you all needed to know that  biggrin ), I'm ready for some online play!!

Anyone up for something tomorrow (Monday) night?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2005, 09:35:32 PM »

no, 24 is on Tongue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2005, 10:50:51 PM »

Played a bunch more today (Sunday).  Played both games, and started a Franchise in both games.  I'm using the Astros in MVP05 and the WhiteSox in MLB2k5, since they are my two favorite teams.

The more I play, the more I "see"...

The presentation in 2k5 is just so superior, it's not even funny.  Games do take a fair amount longer however, especially if you read all the popup stats and watch all the cutscenes and junk.  Also, if you use K-Zone, play time increases a bit.  The bummer is, almost every other game, I am seeing more and more minor hiccups/errors.  Man is this game ever high on potential, but frustrating to see all the things they messed up.   :x
One thing that I really like that MVP doesn't have is Team Stats.  You can look at your overall team, how they compare to the rest of the league, and even get their ranking overall in each major catagory.  Also, you can watch a replay of any play in the current game you are playing (not that you would ever actually USE that feature, but it's in there).  There is a general stat page you can bring up each game too, sort of like something you would see in basketball, which is way cool.

One thing I really, really, really like about MVP05 is being able to play your AAA, AA, and Single A teams.   What an absolute blast and an eye-opener as to just how good the game is from a gameplay standpoint.  Trying to keep the ball in the strikezone with your AA pitchers is CHALLENGING!  Some of their stats are so bad, even making contact with a ball (as a batter) can be a challenge!  Also, something I didn't even notice playing with the Major Leaguers is that there are Stress Situations in this game too.  I didn't even know that.  In 2k5, pressure situations are expressed by messin' with the K-Zone cursor.  In MVP, the speed at which the Pitch Meter will move is greatly increased.  I sure picked up on that playing with my AA Club!  Awesome.  Ball flight in MVP is just unmatched.  I just love it!

Speaking of which, another thing that is really starting to bug me is how many weak grounders or straight line drives are hit in 2k5.  Now that I am getting much better at hitting, I expected these things to sort of go away... nope... they are getting worse.  I also don't think you can edit players mid-franchise in 2k5.   :x

= = = =

Looking foward to playing Monday night Devil (if it's not too late).

Oh... and have you seen this:    http://www.nlgaming.com/nl/asp/id_69/nl/mediaDisp.htm

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2005, 11:03:42 PM »

well, i finally observed teh wild pitches first hand.  I had like 5 of them in one game.  I'm thinking it only effects road games and when there's a player on 1st base.  Someone mentioned pressure might have something to do with it.  I wonder if you can turn the pressure feature off, and if that would fix it.

Also got jipped on a wild pitch.  My guy advanced to 2nd base on a wild throw, but when the pitcher was ready to throw his next pitch, the guy was back at first.

I've been playing on rookie this whole time, and now i'm upping the difficulty.  I haven't lost a game I've personally played.  Pitching is way too easy, yet hitting is just right.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2005, 12:21:23 AM »

here are some good sliders (well i've only played 1 game with them, but they're pretty good).  I'd recommend not adjusting the Human Pitcher Fatigue to what he suggests, the pitcher gets tired too quickly.  You might want to play around with that

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=115113
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2005, 05:18:39 AM »

Ponch - Monday is still good for me. ESPN or MVP?

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 06:37:46 AM »

Some of us cant log into that forum for the sliders, anyone wanna cut and paste?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2005, 11:08:17 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Ponch - Monday is still good for me. ESPN or MVP?

Yep.  Let's play early if you can.  

And either game is fine.  It really doesn't matter to me.  We need to eventually try them both anyway.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
Some of us cant log into that forum for the sliders, anyone wanna cut and paste?

you need to register in order to access it.

Sliders

Game Difficulty: Custom (adjusted them from Pro, so if there's some intangible effect, you should do the same)
Batter Contact: 46
Batter Power: 69
Batter Slamzone Power: 16
Batter Bunt Assistance: 30
Runner Baserunning Speed: 73
Runner Stealing Success: 82
Fielder Errors: 16
Fielder Speed: 28
Fielder Speed Burst Length: n/a
Fielder Speed Burst Power: n/a
Catcher Throwing Power: Disabled
Infielder Throwing Power: Disabled
Outfielder Throwing Power: Disabled
Pitcher Variability: n/a
Pitcher Fatigue: 64
Pitcher Interface Speed: 98
Injuries: 11
Pitch Speed: 100 (THIS IS THE BIGGEST CHANGE HERE. ADJUSTMENTS WILL BE NEEDED BY YOU GUYS. THIS MAY MORE THAN LIKELY LOWER LATER ON.)
AI Skill: 95
AI Contact: 46
AI Power: 67
AI Slamzone Probability: 76
AI Slamzone Power: 44
AI Fatigue: 47
AI Take Strike Overall: 78
AI Take Strike Ahead: 73
AI Take Strike Behind: 83
AI Take Ball Overall: 89
AI Take Ball Ahead: 87
AI Take Ball Behind: 69
AI Aggressiveness: 88
AI Steal 2nd: 41
AI Steal 3rd: 26
AI Steal Home: 19
AI Corner: 64
AI Change Speed: 85
AI Change Location: 67
AI Throw Strike Overall: 31
AI Throw Strike Ahead: 32
AI Throw Strike Behind: 29
AI Pickoff: 42
AI Pitchout: 95
AI Errors: 19
AI Fielder Speed: 30
AI Catcher Throwing Power: Disabled
AI Infielder Throwing Power: Disabled
AI Outfielder Throwing Power: Disabled
AI Fielding Aggression: 45
AI Throwing Aggression: 5 (gets rid of sacrifice bunts end up being a fielder's choice)
AI Hit 'N Run: 48
AI Sacrifice Bunt: 35
AI Squeeze: 24
AI Meat Pitch: 18
AI Showboat Attempt: n/a
AI Showboat Skill: n/a

Game Options

GAMEPLAY:

Game Style: Custom
SlamZone: Off
Showboat Catches: Off
Pop Fly Lock: On
Ball Indicator: Dynamic
Baserunner Speed Boost: Off
Fielder Speed Boost: Off
Broken Bat Frequency: Often

SETUP:

Length of Game: 9
Designated Hitter: AL Hosting
Ejections: On
Injuries: On
Pitcher Fatigue: On
Active Bullpen: On

Controls

Vibration: Off
Smart Throw: Off
Auto-Round Bases: On
Auto-Reselect Fielder: On
Hold Runners: Smart Hold
Pitch Cursor: n/a
Contextual Sliding: On
Swing Feedback: On
Batting Interface: True Aim
Batting Cursor Size: n/a
Pitching Interface: KZone
Assisted Baserunning: Off
Batter's Eye: Off
Batter's Eye Feedback: Off

Presentation

Home Batting Camera: Low No Zoom
Zoom: 67
Away Batting Camera: Low No Zoom
Zoom: 67
Keep Fielder In View: On

Credit goes to Blzer's Pro sliders: One-button swinging Ver 2.0  at operationsports.com
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2005, 06:57:05 PM »

8:00 OK for you?

You pick the game and send the invite...

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2005, 07:03:32 PM »

8:00 OK for you?

You pick the game and send the invite...

8:00pm - MVP05 - I will create and invite.  Done!

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2005, 07:46:43 PM »

So what's the deal Lockdown, Devil, Naednek?  I was gone all weekend, so I want to grab one of these games.  Which one is winning out?  As Lockdown mentioned, I loved MVP last year and the year before.   I've always thought ESPN was kind of dull (so maybe it did do the best job of simulating baseball! smile ).  The mentions of all the flaws of the Sega/Kush game bother me though.  

Can someone explain the new K-Zone pitching?  I don't understand how that works, and can't find a video.  What type of button presses does this entail?  One of the reasons I love MVP so much is the almost perfect pitching system.  If the new Sega game is good as well, that'd help me get the other.

Either way, time to start playing online.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2005, 08:05:49 PM »

K-Zone pitching is almost a minigun within itself.

Inside the box of the strike zone, you have a circle of where you want to pitch the ball.  You can put this anywhere, in the strike-zone, out of the strike-zone, basically, where you want the ball.

Press the button of the pitch you want.  The longer you push it, the smaller the circle gets, but the faster your pitch will go (which is important, read on).

After pushing the button for as long as you wish for the speed of your pitch, X and Y axis lines appear.  A ball flies from the top of the Y line down towards where you put your circle.  Now, if you made your circle small by pushing the button down for a long time (for a faster pitch), it'll be tougher to push the button when the little ball flies down towards your mark.  Also, it goes faster if your pitcher is under pressure or tired.

After setting this one, a ball will fly from the horizontal axis and you need to push the button again close to where you aimed your ball.

If you were unable to get one of the two moving balls onto where you aimed your pitch, the hitter will see where you pitched the ball and may be able to exploit it using the Slam Zone.

WOW that took awhile to explain.  Takes awhile to understand at the same time, too.  But I *really* like the pitching in MLB2k5.  I think it's one of the best aspects of the game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2005, 08:17:20 PM »

If you were unable to get one of the two moving balls onto where you aimed your pitch, the hitter will see where you pitched the ball and may be able to exploit it using the Slam Zone.

Thank you for the explanation.  This may play better then it sounds, but right now, it sounds like all those basketball free throw meters from past NBA games.  Push the buttons when the circle is in the middle of the crosshairs to hit the shot type deal.  That wasn't much fun at all in basketball, at least for me.  Does it just play differently in the baseball game, or am I still completely missing it?

The MVP pitching setup is great, in part, because it is so simply and intuitive.  I guess it is very similar to the golf games of the past, but it works, and is fast.  The ESPN method seems like it can add significant time to playing the game, which I'm not sure I'll like.

How fast are games in MVP vs ESPN?  I think last year a game for MVP took about 25 minutes, with ESPN taking 35 minutes or so.  That extra time really adds up.

Can you still jump into games in MVP?  How about Sega?  Anyway to sim the rest of a blowout?

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2005, 08:46:14 PM »

Hey Scott!  I was wondering where you were.   :wink:

I know in 2k5 you can go into and out of games (switching to sim mode) at anytime, and do it an unlimited amount of times.

In MVP05, you can definately switch from one to the other, I just don't know if it's from Sim --> Play  OR from Play --> Sim  OR both.  And I don't know how many times you can do it in one game.

After playing more and more, (and I can't believe I am saying this, as I sound like a wishy-washy idiot), I think I may like MVP's Pitching better.  After playing with the sliders, the meter pitching in MVP is just so well implemented.  When your pitcher starts getting tired (35% and lower stamina), it becomes quite difficult to pitch that ball where you want, which can really up your walks (which is always good in a console bball game).  K-Zone is more forgiving, and you CAN'T TURN THE STRIKE ZONE OFF - which was a really moronic decision by Kush.  However, out of the box, on standard sliders, MVP's Meter is more forgiving.  Was that confusing?

My thoughts on AI, presentation, bugs, animations, ball flight, cameras, etc... are still the same.

Games take longer in 2k5, no question about it.  

There is so much I could write up on both games that noone would ever read, so I won't.  But as of right now, I still can't pick which game is better.  If someone held a gun to my head, and made me choose right now, I would probably pick MVP05, but I still need to play more games with both.  Dorkzilla and I will be testing MVP05 online tonight.

I will say this however, if 2k5's presentation wasn't so phenominal, the choice would be easier... MVP all the way.  But geez that presentation is flat awesome, and hard to give up.

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2005, 09:16:59 PM »

What has changed about the presentation to really nail it for you?  I guess I should go and read the thread more in detail smile.  In previous years, ESPN has always looked kind of dull against MVP.  I really thought the ESPN animations sucked compared to MVP last year as well, at least what I can remember smile.

How are walks/strikeouts in MVP?  It seemed overly difficult to strike people out at times in MVP last year, and there weren't many walks.  I got used to years of High Heat, and learning to really work the count.  Last years games didn't seem as good at this, though it could have been me.

I may grab one of the games tonight.  Silly as it seems, that $10 between the two may decide it.  $20 just seems easier to handle then $30.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to support the monopoly.  I'd rather buy MVP this year for $30 then just not buy another baseball game for a few years.  I'm pretty anti-Madden for the same reason.  

If you have any more good thoughts before tonight, let me know!  Be cooler to play a game that everyone here will play so I can hook up with more people this year online.  It gets old continually pummeling Devil smile.

Thanks for all the writeups!  Much better then IGN or even Op Sports.  I'm not even going to bother reading those flamefests this year smile.

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »

You're welcome.  At least someone found them useful.   :wink:

Regarding Walks : If you are a patient hitter, with a few slider tweaks (MVP05 doesn't seem to need as many as 2k5), you will get walked.  And if you try to paint corners, and are rightfully scared to pitch down the pipe to the better hitters, you will also walk people, especially in MVP05.  One thing about K-Zone that is kind of bogus is this:  Once you get your pitcher to Maximum Confidence (not hard to do), his outer aiming circle gets so darn huge, it is very difficult to throw a bad pitch.  One good thing about K-Zone however is that if you don't nail the little center circle, your pitch will be offline, and from time to time, it's offline the opposite way you think it will be.  I honestly like both systems, but find K-Zone (lately at least) to be more time consuming.  This is not meant as a slam, just a fact.  And for what it's worth, I walk more batters in MVP than in 2k5, and that's not because of them swinging at bad pitches more (as that can be adjusted in both games), it's because I have a tougher time hitting the strike zone in MVP when trying to paint the corners.  And for kicks, take one of your AA or Single-A pitchers and try to paint the corners...  It's hysterical!  You'll walk the bases loaded without even breaking a sweat!  It's great.  

My strikeout/walk numbers are much more realistic in MVP right now.  However, it should be noted that there are so many sliders in 2k5, I'm sure if you found the right combination, it could be equally as accurate in that game.  So again, that is not meant as a slam.  

I'll tell you what... if I were only getting one game, , I would get MVP.  My guess is Kush is going to get so pummeled by fans for the little hiccups all over their game this year, that next year they will QA test it much better, and then it will be one hell of a baseball game.  Presentation wise it already is one hell of a game.  But (knowing you), the seamingly unfixable mistakes (wild pitches, baserunning AI, unheard of # of liners, weak infield hits, etc...) will drive you up a wall, regardless of how stellar certain parts of the game are.

For me, I am pretty unshakable, and will continue to plug away until it gets to the point where I can't take it anymore.  And I haven't hit the point yet.  
 :wink:
LD

LD

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2005, 11:19:11 PM »

I know this is Console Gold and all, but I think it should be mentioned that if you pick up the PC version of MVP2K5 you'll be able to get access to a TON of mods. A bunch have already been released...

Here's a screenshot of the altered pitching view in MVP...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/paredfia/da56e1fc.jpg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2005, 12:38:09 AM »

8:00pm - MVP05 - I will create and invite. Done!

OK - I suck - Can you do 8:30?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2005, 12:46:11 AM »

Quote from: "godhugh"
I know this is Console Gold and all, but I think it should be mentioned that if you pick up the PC version of MVP2K5 you'll be able to get access to a TON of mods. A bunch have already been released...

Hmmm...last I checked we've been covering PC stuff, including reviews.  Just because the name has Console in it doesn't mean we don't cover PC stuff post-GG death.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2005, 01:27:38 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Thank you for the explanation.  This may play better then it sounds, but right now, it sounds like all those basketball free throw meters from past NBA games.  Push the buttons when the circle is in the middle of the crosshairs to hit the shot type deal.  That wasn't much fun at all in basketball, at least for me.  Does it just play differently in the baseball game, or am I still completely missing it?

That's exactly what it is.  It's really easy on easy mode (go figure), but it gets tough as you bump up the sliders

How fast are games in MVP vs ESPN?  I think last year a game for MVP took about 25 minutes, with ESPN taking 35 minutes or so.  That extra time really adds up.

Can you still jump into games in MVP?  How about Sega?  Anyway to sim the rest of a blowout?

ESPN is longer because of the cutscenes, but you can set an option for hurry up mode, where they take out the fluff, and just play the game.  I'm averaging about 35-45 mins a game in ESPN, and probably about 30 mins in MVP

You can jump in on both games
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2005, 01:33:54 AM »

Anyways, while I like ESPN more as far as gameplay, the Walking bug is killing it for me, and I'm now going to play MVP as my primary game.  If they can get it fixed, great, if not, I'm done with that franchise, or at least wait a few weeks on new purchases.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2005, 02:19:43 AM »

8:00pm - MVP05 - I will create and invite. Done!

OK - I suck - Can you do 8:30?

Stayed on till about 8:20, figured you had husband duties or something, so I played a game of Warhammer on the PC with another friend.

We can play another night, no biggie!

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2005, 03:45:04 AM »

That's exactly what it is. It's really easy on easy mode (go figure), but it gets tough as you bump up the sliders

Cool, thanks.  That sounds really blah to me.   Basketball has moved away from that type of free throw shot interface, sucks to have it back with baseball.  I used to avoid foul shots to not to do it, so having to deal with it for 140 pitches a game seems blah.

All the ESPN errors and bugs scare me too.  MVP seems better this year from all the comments here.  I may be in the minority, but I really don't want to deal with sliders this year.  It seems that there are never perfect ones anyway, they are constently being tweaked, and may break or alter other parts of the game.  If anything, I could do minor ones, but having to adjust every part of the game sounds like more work then fun.  Why can't these companies, like Kush, get it tuned right the first time?

that next year they will QA test it much better, and then it will be one hell of a baseball game. Presentation wise it already is one hell of a game

I hope so, but there really won't be any incentives for them to fix anything next year.  No competition is going to kill the sports gaming market.

But (knowing you), the seamingly unfixable mistakes (wild pitches, baserunning AI, unheard of # of liners, weak infield hits, etc...) will drive you up a wall, regardless of how stellar certain parts of the game are.

I think I'd rather have a fun, decent playing game and not have any major errors, like you said.  I'm reading less about the game this year on Op Sports, so maybe I'll enjoy it more.  If I don't see the bugs, I won't know about them.  MVP sounds better though, and since everyone has it, no problem.  

Are both games pretty stable online, or are there any key online differences?

I probably will be snowed in tomorrow and not able to grab anything, so keep firing those opinions!  Thanks for all the effort guys.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2005, 04:11:44 AM »

We can play another night, no biggie!

I'm sorry - there was a feeding time miscalculation.

Can you do Tuesday at 8?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2005, 02:44:36 PM »

Not sure yet.  I will tentatively say "yes"... but may need to cancel.

- - - - - -

Some other quick notes that I like about MVP05:

When you throw on the run with a fielder, you will notice his throw meter fills up slower, meaning you will have to throw a softer ball in order to get good accuracy.  If he is "set", the meter will crank through faster.  This is a nice feature.  EA has somehow managed to work alot of "realism" into the way meters work, and I for one appreciate it.

Playing with a very good fielder can really make a difference in the outcome of games.  If you have a guy with a great arm, he can make some plays on the baserunners that the "normal" fielder just could not hope to make without a strong risk of throwing way offline.

Playing with Varying Strike Zones just rocks, and I hope is added to ESPN's game next year.  I can usually tell within the first two innings what kind of umpire I drew.  If he favors the batter, forget getting calls on the edges if you're a pitcher.  You'll be walking alot of people.  You must be much "safer" with your pitches.  Otoh... get an Umpire that favors the pitchers... haha... you're golden!  Close calls will usually go to you (as the pitcher), and sometimes the announcers will even comment on it.   biggrin

Both games get the nod for how balls close to going out of the park are handled.  In MLB2k5 - you will see a batters view of the flight path, and you are watching as to whether or not the ball will tail foul or not... and the announcers will call it too, usually in sync with the ball's flight.  In MVP, you have a more bird's eye view, but it can be hard to tell if it's going to the track or going over (if it's close).  The announcer will say, "He really got ahold of that one!  It could be... it might be... NO!!... Biggio makes the catch at the wall!  That was a scary moment for that pitcher."   Just great stuff in both games.   biggrin

LD

LD

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »

wow, i changed my slider settings, and its a 'whole different ballgame'.  smile  I been playing with the Tigers, since i live in Detroit.  First pitch to Alex Sanchez, homerun, almost stright out to center field.  After that.  Nothing much.  Managed to get a few guys on base, but wasnt able to get anyone all the way around.  Some of the curves and sinkers are WAY harder to tell where they are going.  The comment was that the Pitcher interface might need to be slowed down, and I agree 100, is a bit much, going to try and turn it down to about 95, and see if thats good.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2005, 05:21:59 PM »

Ok, i did change the Pitcher Interface speed, setting down to 93.  5 down from the 98 they suggest.  I like it there.  I can still get close to my mark most of the time, not usually dead on, but close.   There are still times where i am not close at all either.  So thats good.  I did alredy have the comp throw a pitch in the dirt though, and I had a runner on third, and he made it home.    Only 2nd inning or so.  Hmmmm...Guess we will see how the rest goes.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2005, 06:51:21 PM »

I picked up MVP at lunch.  I was torn, but the deciding factor was that I can play the ESPN game next year, while MVP is going to be gone.  One last year of a solid game will be fun.  MVP also supports 720p as well, new for them I think.  I need to play a couple days, then have to challenge some of you smile.

---
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2005, 08:06:52 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I picked up MVP at lunch.  I was torn, but the deciding factor was that I can play the ESPN game next year, while MVP is going to be gone.  One last year of a solid game will be fun.  MVP also supports 720p as well, new for them I think.  I need to play a couple days, then have to challenge some of you smile.

720p?

Sold... I'll get MVP today.

gellar
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2005, 08:08:59 PM »

I played last year's MVP and was really disappointed in the game stats...particularly, the game kept no detailed stats of simmed games. I was spoiled by High Heat, I guess, which allowed me to go to any game played during the season and look at it's stats, including how each batter did (i.e. 1-4 2 rbi etc.) as well as pitcher stats. In contrast, MVP would only show me a simple 9-inning score with no individual stats.

Is this still the case with MVP, or can you see individual player stats for all games?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »

720p?

Sold... I'll get MVP today.

At least the back of the box says it does.  I haven't verified yet.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2005, 09:43:13 PM »

Not sure yet. I will tentatively say "yes"... but may need to cancel.

You just make a little postey-post in here or shoot me an email and let me know. biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »

Devil -

Can't do tonight.  Let's do it this week though!

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2005, 11:38:38 PM »

Cool - I should be free all week.

Just let me know!

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2005, 02:58:41 AM »

MVP sucks.  At least online.  Just played Devil.  I don't like a bunch of things, like seeing the other guys pitching meter, or pitchers stamina, but the lag was horrible.  Incredible chop when trying to field the ball.  Anytime any type of replay would occur, the game would freeze for up to a minute, just hang.  We could still talk, but otherwise nothing happened.  We had to reset one time as well.  If there is an option to disable replays in the game setup, that may help, otherwise what a mess.

Anyone else have good/bad experiences online with MVP?  What about ESPN?

Hopefully the single player MVP is fun, but I'm so disappointed that online seems to suck, especially as I bought it to play online.

---
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2005, 03:22:54 AM »

Cool - I should be free all week.

Just let me know!

When are you free for a Colon vs. Prior matchup?

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2005, 03:31:43 AM »

Scott beat me 1-0 on a sac fly in the 8th. The game is decent enough but the issues he mentioned plus my hatred for the fielding throw meter could lead me back to ESPN...

Mike - I could do tomorrow night if Ponch is sleepy, or maybe even after. Tell Nomar to start taping up the floor around his locker...

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2005, 07:22:20 AM »

Picked up MVP and played a few games tonight.  Feels pretty good so far.  I like the interface for pitching/fielding.  Makes me feel more in the game.  I'm terrible at fielding though (always have been with baseball games).  The game does indeed run in 720p and looks very, very good.

gellar
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: