http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bards Tale Impressions  (Read 5973 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2004, 03:50:47 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Can you believe I've never played a BG: DA engined game before?  Cuz I haven't.
With some (really terrible) exceptions, (I'm looking at you, Fallout: BoS), you've missed out on some pretty fun games.

If you've got a PS2, I'd recommend Champions of Norrath--it's probably the most 'refined' use of the BG:DA engine to date.  BG:DA2 is also pretty neat, as it adds some non-traditional classes and more item customization options like gemming armor and weapons ala Diablo 2 / Nethack.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
MeSlayer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2004, 03:57:02 AM »

Okay well I picked it up today, I've been wanting this for a while.  Probably about 6 or so hours in.

A quick aside, I rather LIKE the idea of not having to return to town to sell all my assorted crap, why should I ?  Its a waste of time - may as well include pee breaks and breakfast if you want realism *shrug*.  No inventory in this game, you have 4 different types of melee weapons (1h, 2h, flail (needs a skill before you can use it - pry 2h as well, but i picked that first) and dual wielding), a fist weapon slot, a bow + 2 blank weapon slots (xbow and ??? - a guess there, havent filled those slots) and you have a musicial instrument.

ANYWAYS, thats the inventory system.   (bonus points from me, hardcore RPG guys im sure will hate it, *shrug* its an action RPG not a hardcore rpg so im sure they'd dislike it regardless of the mechanics).

Its only 1-player, unlike most of the other DA engine games, but it does allow you (or more exactly forces you, if you dont you will not beat the game) to summon creatures based upon your bardic awesomeness - A few examples are a "Tank" (mmorpg kind of tank) which has a buttloard of health and armor but very little offensive capibility, a little glow light that blinds enemies and lights rooms, and a crone that heals you and your other summoned creatures.  Based upon the musical instrument you have you only have slots anywhere from 1-?? (im at 3 max right now) summoned creatures.

So anyways, other than that, gameplay-wise, its more or less a DA engine game.  Oh yeah, it has blocking, i only played the baldurs gate DA games so i don't know if the later ones had that.  

On to the real meat of the game (for me anyways), the story/humor.  Which personally I find highly entertaining.  Sometimes the humor feels forced, but listening to The Bard (voiced by carey elwes of Robin Hood:Men In Tights and The Princess' Bride fame) and the Narrator (I have no idea who does his voice, but it is very well done I'd say) argue about just WHY there was treasure inside of a wolf cracked me up.

The game manages to poke fun at many silly RPG conventions, while being entertaining and not at all complicated in the least to play.

Is it worth 50$ ??  Probably not for most people, but I have a soft spot for games that try to bring a little humor in, so its money well spent for me.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2004, 07:35:39 AM »

Havn't played the game myself but the idea of it selling the stuff automatically sounds nice to me. I like having a inventory too, but the constantly having to teleport back to sell stuff off over and over got old too.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2004, 02:07:11 PM »

Wow!!

I look in here for some impressions and I get LE trashing a game he's never played. After the whole GTA thing where he praises a game he's never played.   :roll:

Then again, the X-Box bashing isn't a new wrinkle.

Your act is getting old...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2004, 02:07:48 PM »

I'm interested in Bard's Tale, but not enough to pay $50 for it.  I never played the PC version, so not tying this new one into the original game isn't a big deal for me.  I'm sure I'll pick it up when the price drops, which I don't imagine will take long.

I am interested to see how well the Snowblind engine transfers to the PC.  I'm actually a little surprised none of the previous games ever got ported over.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2004, 02:26:16 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Wow!!

I look in here for some impressions and I get LE trashing a game he's never played. After the whole GTA thing where he praises a game he's never played.   :roll:

Then again, the X-Box bashing isn't a new wrinkle.

Your act is getting old...

As is you and LE going at it like kids. End it. Now. Discuss the game please. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2004, 03:04:21 PM »

I kiss my Xbox everyday.  Use the tongue too.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2004, 04:59:46 AM »

Sequels or remakes switching gameplay types has never bothered me.  I like Heroes of Might and Magic.  I was glad when GTA3 went all 3D and non-linear.  I think ID did good things when they turned Castle Wolfenstein into a 3D shooter.  

I think of it like Army of Darkness.  It is a funnier movie because it's a sequel to one serious and one semi-serious shlock horror movie.  If it stood on it's own, it wouldn't be as good.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2004, 01:26:27 PM »

I rented it and found it very fun.  Could care less if it is full of all the stuff that rpg's are supposed to have and all that, the humor and sarcastic ways it simultaneously plays homage to and makes fun of the genre is very enjoyable.  Would I pay $50 for it?  No, but then again I would not for 99% of the games out today.  Other than Halo and Forza I see no title getting my coin for my console.   That aside, Bard is quite comical and if you are into humor in games, I don't see how you could pass up at least renting it.  

I hear it is 30 hours long roughly, so when it hits $30 or less, for those who must buy a game to feel they are really playing a game, then pick it up and get game jocularity for a mere dollar an hour.  If you are looking for BG DA or Norrath or some such game, look elsewhere.  This game is a joke.  Literally.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2004, 06:43:39 PM »

I bought it and so far.. I HATE IT!   I only played about 15 minutes of it and I can not bring myself to play it again.

This is all because of one reason, I hate the controls on the game.

Right now the right thumbstick controls the rotation of the camera, it is backwards.  (compared to games like BG, BG2, XML).

It drives me nuts to the point that I hated playing it

I looked and looked but I could not find a way to change it, anyone know how to?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2004, 06:53:58 PM »

Quote from: "croman"

I looked and looked but I could not find a way to change it, anyone know how to?

If there's no way to change it, that would be a shame. Almost all console games of this type has a reversable camera option. It should be mandatory!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2004, 06:59:45 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

If there's no way to change it, that would be a shame. Almost all console games of this type has a reversable camera option. It should be mandatory!

Unfortunately its not nearly as common as it should be.  Second Sight comes to mind as not having a reversible camera and I *think* Sly 2 also doesn't have the option.  I've been burned by it in several other titles I can't remember right now too.
MeSlayer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2004, 07:51:02 PM »

I bought it and so far.. I HATE IT!   I only played about 15 minutes of it and I can not bring myself to play it again.

This is all because of one reason, I hate the controls on the game.

Right now the right thumbstick controls the rotation of the camera, it is backwards.  (compared to games like BG, BG2, XML).

weird, ive played both bg:da and bg2 on my ps2 and i never noticed this

i guess i just didnt play nearly enough of them : )
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2004, 07:33:26 AM »

The no invert for the camera is annoying but so far I have learned to live with it. No idea why they don't have it since the other games using this engine have it. The bigger problem is the totally dumb way of healing. The basic gameplay is still the hack'n slash of the DA games so you need the ability to quickly heal whne your in the thick of it, but they make you do three things(right trigger + a + b) to heal instead of one button, then you have to watch the same short scene of the angel over an over again. How someone thought this was a good idea is beyond me.
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2004, 11:38:37 PM »

You know Jumangi, your bard can summons a healer.

The healer is pretty neat because she is pretty good (not great) at healing in the heat of battle. However, the baddies tend to go after her if I don't position myself carefully. And the healer of course is a very weak fighter and is dispatched pretty easily. However, if you sneak away from the battle, you simply re summons her and away you go.

With the healer I have no need to use the summons Angel.

WHile I am not loving this game yet, it is pretty fun to play and as soon as I finish here, I'm going back to it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2004, 01:32:14 PM »

I've got it rented now, and have puit about 2 hours into it. I've just recieved the amazon summon.

I gotta say the humour is right on the money. The gameplay can be annoying (I agree with you on the camera rotation) and the fact that you can't angle farther back. I'd prefer being able to see a little more forward.

If I purchased the game at full price I'd be trading it as soon as I was done the game (based on the fact that I'd want something more out of it, like cash value) If I bought this one used or reduced $$, it is definately worth a $30 pricetag.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2004, 02:35:10 PM »

Quote from: "D.A.Lewis"
You know Jumangi, your bard can summons a healer.

The healer is pretty neat because she is pretty good (not great) at healing in the heat of battle. However, the baddies tend to go after her if I don't position myself carefully. And the healer of course is a very weak fighter and is dispatched pretty easily. However, if you sneak away from the battle, you simply re summons her and away you go.

With the healer I have no need to use the summons Angel.

WHile I am not loving this game yet, it is pretty fun to play and as soon as I finish here, I'm going back to it.

Yes I know you get that. That doesn't help me if I want to use the other characters though. Also as you said the healer is a very weak fighter. Bottom line IMO just keep the darn simple mana/healing potion mechanic(one button). Yea its old but it works.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2004, 12:07:06 AM »

My experience with Bard's Tale:

-  1 hour:  "Damn, this game is hilarious!  Spot-on voice acting, some funny as hell moments, and a cool combat and summon system.  Exactly like Baldur's Gate:  DA, but with a sense of humor.  This is perfect!"

-  3 hours:  "Y'know, the combat is kind of annoying.  If I'm ever under the scenery I can't see what I'm doing.  But hey, I got a couple new summons and I just laughed my ass off at the 3 goblins having an oompa-loompa moment."

-  6 hours:  "I really wish my character didn't have to go through his entire 8 swing combat animation every time I attack.  It's awfully bothersome if I miss the target.  Aw, shit.  I just died again because I couldn't get the 3 buttons for the healing spell in time.  Would help if my guy ran a little faster so I could actually get away from the guys thumping my head for 2 seconds and cast the spell.  Damn near impossible to do in the middle of a fight.   But the bit about the princess fantasies was pretty funny, and the graphics on the new level look good."

-  9 hours:  "You kidding me?  I fought three levels to the top of this tower, beat the boss, and now I have to fight those same 3 levels back down.  For the second time?  What genius thought of this?   Damn, respawning enemies are just annoying as hell.  The new flute with 3 summons does help, but none of the new summon tunes are that great.  Y'know, I haven't had a laugh in a while.  Wonder if he's going to say anything other than simply being sarcastic."

-  12 hours:  "Oh goodie.  Yet another death as I get swarmed by mobs of enemies and can't get away to cast a healing spell.  And I just spent all my gold on new armor that doesn't make a lick of difference.  And there hasn't been anything funny in the last 3 hours.  And these fed-ex quests are getting really, really old.  Even though I only have 2 chapters left, I think I'm going to trade this one in while it still has a little bit of value left.  And I'm never, ever going to get that 'Oh it's bad luck to be you' song out of my head.  Aaaaaargh!"

Traded.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2004, 03:10:53 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
My experience with Bard's Tale:

-  1 hour:  "Damn, this game is hilarious!  Spot-on voice acting, some funny as hell moments, and a cool combat and summon system.  Exactly like Baldur's Gate:  DA, but with a sense of humor.  This is perfect!"

-  3 hours:  "Y'know, the combat is kind of annoying.  If I'm ever under the scenery I can't see what I'm doing.  But hey, I got a couple new summons and I just laughed my ass off at the 3 goblins having an oompa-loompa moment."

I think I was at about the same point when I put the game away, dunno if I will get back to it. Bleh. I found the humor up to that point to be pretty lame... I kept waiting for the laughs but they never came.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2004, 03:37:03 AM »

Did you miss the sequence where you find the guy buried behind the ice avalanche? The whole idea is to free him, but if you are sarcastic to him every time you talk to him it just gets funnier and funnier. Towards the end of the conversation I was absolutely in tears from laughter.

"Oh good. My hero."

"Do you have any information that might be useful?"
"Yes I do. You don't want to be where I am."

I've loved the sense of humor throughout the game, though I'll admit there are stretches where it's all about weak combat and not enough funny. But I found it worth playing through, and some of the later summons are really nice to have on your side.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2004, 08:49:53 PM »

Just for the record, it's now after the 'end of november', and the BT is still selling for $49.99 at best buy....  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1093469404844&skuId=6851356&type=product

So I guess *some* of the predictions here weren't spot on....  biggrin

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: