http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:56:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bard's Tale review  (Read 1142 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2004, 07:40:07 PM »

Mitch's take on The Bard's Tale.

I totally agree with the review (I'd rented, played, and finished the game inbetween Halo2 games).

The arguments between narrator and bard are terrific. I loved the one where he's arguing with the narrator and the NPC starts responding to his comments (as of course the NPC can't hear the narrator).

If you donate a ton of money you can unlock the songs, shots and movies from the game as well. ... As to the Gauntlet references, I'd say it's more like a Champions of No-wrath combat (given it's the same engine).

"it's a frickin' guarantee, it's unlucky to be you. Diddly-do."

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 07:51:14 PM »

Awww.... biggrin

Never played Champions of Norath so I couldn't compare the two, but as I played through Bard's Tale I just kept seeing Gauntlet in my head. I even grabbed the thumbstick on my controller like I did in the arcade just for kicks, and it felt like I was playing Gauntlet again. Go figure.

Either way, it's a damn funny game. The Bobv thing went on forever, but it was kind of like the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob walked into nine (count 'em) rakes one right after the other. It's funny at first, then it gets old, then really old, but for some reason as it continues it gets really funny again.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »

I really want to get this, but with the deluge of all the games I'm going to wait until this goes down in price.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 06:18:53 PM »

i agree with Nth Power - i'll wait as well - too many half-done games now.  although, i may not buy it at all if the camera angles are no better than Champions of Norrath.  

can anyone tell me whether what you see when you explore and fight is closer to Morrowind/GTA-VC (XB), or to Baldur's Gate/ Champions of Norrath (XB/ PS2)?  i don't like seeing my character as a tiny figure, or zooming in to get closer and being attacked out of nowhere because you can't see ahead of you.

thanks,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:16:34 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
can anyone tell me whether what you see when you explore and fight is closer to Morrowind/GTA-VC (XB), or to Baldur's Gate/ Champions of Norrath (XB/ PS2)?  i don't like seeing my character as a tiny figure, or zooming in to get closer and being attacked out of nowhere because you can't see ahead of you.

thanks,

The view (and game engine) is Champions of Norrath. It's not GTA or Morrowind; this game is a humorous story, not a sandbox game. As to being attacked offscreen, the only time I've noticed that was fighting in the forest tower, and it wasn't that bad. Also, if you draw an arrow the screen adjusts so you are right at the bottom and you see more of what you're aiming at. Otherwise, you're generally just below the center of the screen.

Also, BT isn't a dressup game. There are some cool items you get; you can see yourself up close in the inventory window. whatever you're wearing also is shown during cutscenes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 08:14:49 PM »

thanks, PURGE,

that helped a lot.  i think i'll wait for it to drop in price, maybe quite a while since there are so many other games out there, but will eventually pick it up and give it a shot.  i don't really like the BG camera views, but it hasn't stopped me from playing BG1, and playing C of N online, so this sounds at least as good as those, plus the humor sounds great.

thanks a lot,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 10:15:19 PM »

As Purge said, the entire game is a spoof of role playing games and as such there is zero inventory management/Barbie-style dressing of your character. I would get attacked from off-screen, but it was a boar charging me or from a random arrow. Otherwise, I could usually tell what direction an attack was coming from. Plus, you can't just wander about but they never said you could in the first place.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: