http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:35:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bard's Tale or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2? (PS2)  (Read 1721 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2005, 09:39:51 PM »

Of these two mediocre action-RPGs, which is more enjoyable?

Bard's seems to have a better 'story' and presentation, but the lack of inventory management is sort of off-putting.

BGDA2 has more equipment customization options and more interesting character clasess, but doesn't seem very well-balanced and apparently its story not only sucks, it's just confusing.

So which would you vote for?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 10:24:58 PM »

I haven't played DA2 but Bard's Tale is hilarious at least. The lack of inventory management is actually pretty cool because whenever you change out gear, you always wind up on the better end of the deal.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 10:39:55 PM »

While it has a rep of being MOTS, I enjoyed BG:DA2 from beginning to end... I'm eventually going to go through it again with Drizzt
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 04:45:37 AM »

If you are just going to play by yourself then I would go with Bard's Tale.  Of course if you just love inventory management and collecting/upgrading items it has nothing for you, while BG has tons of loot.  If you want to play co-op multiplayer then BG is great.  I had a lot of fun beating both of those with a friend and we are working on Champions of Norrath.  Bard's Tale is single-player only.  All use the same engine.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 07:52:40 AM »

I'm on my second time through with DA2 and am still enjoying it.  It's not great, but it's fun to pick up every now and then.  The story does indeed suck, but it's not confusing.  It is also really easy, even on "Hard" mode, especially if you do the sidequests.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »

I preferred BGII over Bard's Tale.  While the humor in Bard's is great, it's quite a bit too long, and the jokes really wear thin towards the end.  There's also some bizzare design decisions in Bard's Tale that annoyed me to no end (i.e.  Fight your way up the tower, kill the boss, then fight your way back down the same tower to get out.  Really annoying.)

BGII is a solid hack-n-slash with a completely uninspired story.  But at least the combat and game design are solid.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 08:51:44 PM »

BG2 bored me.  Bard's Tale made me laugh.  So I'd go with Bard's Tale.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 08:52:58 PM »

I thought BG:DA II was horrible. Not only was the story  and level design completely uninspired, but they threw in a bunch of those stupid timed levels where you need to evacuate an area due to one crisis or another. The game was just...boring.

Go with Bard's Tale. At least it was funny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: