http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banned From Xbox Live  (Read 8212 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2004, 07:27:36 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
And to clarify, a mod chip doesn't allow people to cheat in online games.  Period.  

So I'm not sure why cheaters are even mentioned here.
I thought that was the Microsoft's rationale for Live bans:  cheat prevention.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2004, 07:29:48 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I was reading at Gametab about this. Some are saying that even home-replaced DVD drives (replacing the shitty Thompson yourself) earns you a lifetime ban. Isn't that a bit extreme? Or can DVD drives be h4xx0R3d to allow burned games to work?
Good god.

Here's when IP law begins to get unquestionably absurd (and I obviously don't think highly of it in the first place).  Open the case, for any reason, and YOU ARE BANNED, CRIMINAL!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2004, 07:55:02 PM »

I mean no offense to Eco.  But as a person who plays online via Xbox live on a daily basis,  I don't want to be playing anyone who has a modded xbox.  I know that right now there is no way to cheat on xbox live, but I immagine some schmuck is working on a way (or was).  It sucks that you are now out of the football league.  As far as modding the Xbox, I have one myself and I never even considered connecting to Live with it.  Microsoft is not saying you can't use a mod chip or a bigger hard drive.  You just can't play on Xbox Live with it.  Its really as simple as that.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2004, 07:58:08 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

And no offense, but you went so far out on that limb that I think it snapped off.  All we need now is a Holocaust reference to get things really hopping.   :wink:

Ok so lets go back toward the trunk a bit. Saying someone deserves a second chance, or even a warning, that they can be banned from Live for using a mod chip is like saying if you don't get caught then its ok. If anyone who bought a mod chip doesn't already know the risk then you have to seriously wonder what they think a mod chip is for. How far should Microsoft go to warn mod chip users? I think it is the mod chip manufacturer's and seller's responsibility to warn the buy of the danger, not Microsoft's'.

LiveTAG: happydog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2004, 08:14:51 PM »

And to clarify, a mod chip doesn't allow people to cheat in online games.  Period.  

I thought that was the Microsoft's rationale for Live bans:  cheat prevention.

That is correct.  Cheating results in your account being banned, playing with a modded xbox results in that Xbox being banned.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2004, 08:52:51 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
Ok so lets go back toward the trunk a bit. Saying someone deserves a second chance, or even a warning, that they can be banned from Live for using a mod chip is like saying if you don't get caught then its ok.

Not really.  I'm more of the mindset that's asking why it's wrong for Eco to have installed a larger HDD, or for some poor kid to have tried repairing his crappy DVD and ended up getting his Live account banned for it.  Remember, these modchips were turned off--they found Eco (and others) by checking his HDD's internal serial code.

I'm all for the banning of cheaters.  Let 'em burn in hell.  But if you're not cheating or being disruptive on Live, why should you be banned?  The answer's obvious:  You're not using a Microsoft-brand product.  You bought outside their cult, and for that, you're excommunicated.

People have a disabled mod chip, or a different hard drive, or different DVD drive.  So what?  The XBox Live ban is a petty cash grab and an immature pissing match with the enigmatic 'pirate community.'  Microsoft is shooting at shadows and hitting innocent people.  

Isn't Lik-Sang importing those Keyboard-and-Mouse adapters/sets for the XBox, now?  I think the use of one of those is more deserving of a Live ban, as it gives an unfair advantage to a player through use of  non-Microsoft-approved hardware.  A bigger hard drive or a different DVD-drive doesn't.

But like I said, this isn't about Microsoft defending their 'honest' Live users.  It's about Microsoft getting money, and it's about Microsoft feeling more comfortable with the size of its cock.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2004, 09:05:17 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
I mean no offense to Eco.  But as a person who plays online via Xbox live on a daily basis,  I don't want to be playing anyone who has a modded xbox.  I know that right now there is no way to cheat on xbox live, but I immagine some schmuck is working on a way (or was).  It sucks that you are now out of the football league.  As far as modding the Xbox, I have one myself and I never even considered connecting to Live with it.  Microsoft is not saying you can't use a mod chip or a bigger hard drive.  You just can't play on Xbox Live with it.  Its really as simple as that.

That isn't really true though deoginizer.  They don't want you to use a mod chip or a bigger hard drive.  Period. Live is simply the only method they have of knowing one way or the other and the only feasible punishment for breaking their rule/law.  As for not wanting to play someone with a chip, thats just silly and I'll leave it at that.  I sure disrupted your league with my chip didn't I?  Actually, I guess I did now that I'm banned but that is beside the point.  Halo 2 being leaked was the last straw and the came down hard.  That is really all there is to it.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2004, 09:09:54 PM »

I was reading at Gametab about this. Some are saying that even home-replaced DVD drives (replacing the shitty Thompson yourself) earns you a lifetime ban. Isn't that a bit extreme? Or can DVD drives be h4xx0R3d to allow burned games to work?

There is a way to get PC DVD drives (the Samsung 616 seems to be popular, this is a regular PC DVD drive that happens to be able to read retail discs AND a lot of recordable discs) to work with an Xbox, that's probably how they are going about banning in this case.  I'd say you're okay if you changed it with another Xbox DVD drive (Philips/Samsung in this case), but if not I'm screwed (I changed my Thomson for a Philips). slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2004, 09:43:44 PM »

LE: You make some good points there. I personally am NOT against mod chips, bigger HDs or replacing a crappy DVD drive (which is why I have a second xbox). I think this is a case of "How do you determine the difference between someone trying to cheat, and someone who just has a mod chip/bigger HD/new DVD drive?" Probably similar to the DirecTV deal I was talking about where in order to get the 'bad guys' a few innocent people get hurt.

LiveTAG: happydog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2004, 09:56:42 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

There is a way to get PC DVD drives (the Samsung 616 seems to be popular, this is a regular PC DVD drive that happens to be able to read retail discs AND a lot of recordable discs) to work with an Xbox, that's probably how they are going about banning in this case.  I'd say you're okay if you changed it with another Xbox DVD drive (Philips/Samsung in this case), but if not I'm screwed (I changed my Thomson for a Philips). slywink

To clarify though, using that disc drive will not allow your xbox to play backup copies of Xbox games.  It will allow it to read recordable discs, for audio etc.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2004, 10:27:28 PM »

Let's not beat around the bush here- while there are many legitimate reasons to mod your Xbox that mod chip and a big hard drive also makes it incredibly easy to pirate games which is MS's concern way more than cheating in Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2004, 10:32:12 PM »

As for not wanting to play someone with a chip, thats just silly and I'll leave it at that.  I sure disrupted your league with my chip didn't I?  Actually, I guess I did now that I'm banned but that is beside the point.  Halo 2 being leaked was the last straw and the came down hard.  That is really all there is to it.

So you are telling me that no-one is trying to create a mod chip that will allow people use a turbo contoller undetected in ESPN NFL 2K5?  I know for a fact that there are. I also know that at the moment mod chips have to be switched off in order to play on Live.  But that doesn't mean this will always be so.  I would rather MS banned all modded Xboxes before someone comes up with a workaround.  Again I am in no way saying that you were cheating Eco. But one of the reasons I like playing multiplayer shooters on the Xbox is that you are sure that everyone has the same equipmet and is not using aimbots or fancy macros.  I have no problem with MS protecting this environment.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2004, 10:42:15 PM »

As for not wanting to play someone with a chip, thats just silly and I'll leave it at that.  I sure disrupted your league with my chip didn't I?  Actually, I guess I did now that I'm banned but that is beside the point.  Halo 2 being leaked was the last straw and the came down hard.  That is really all there is to it.

So you are telling me that no-one is trying to create a mod chip that will allow people use a turbo contoller undetected in ESPN NFL 2K5?  I know for a fact that there are. I also know that at the moment mod chips have to be switched off in order to play on Live.  But that doesn't mean this will always be so.  I would rather MS banned all modded Xboxes before someone comes up with a workaround.  Again I am in no way saying that you were cheating Eco. But one of the reasons I like playing multiplayer shooters on the Xbox is that you are sure that everyone has the same equipmet and is not using aimbots or fancy macros.  I have no problem with MS protecting this environment.

I understand.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2004, 10:43:15 PM »

But one of the reasons I like playing multiplayer shooters on the Xbox is that you are sure that everyone has the same equipmet and is not using aimbots or fancy macros.  I have no problem with MS protecting this environment.
Jesus, is it that big of an issue?

1.)  It's usually VERY obvious if someone is cheating.  If it's not obvious: guess what, they're better than you and your jealousy is trying to accomidate.

2.)  If someone DOES get by the security module of a server, YOU CAN CHANGE SERVERS.

This is just bad news, in my opinion.  How long til Microsoft starts doing this to our PCs?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »

LE:

There are ways which are not obvious to use a turbo controller in ESPN 2K5 in order to gain an advantage.  The only way you can tell is that the user controlled player's circle is yellow intead of the default color.  A yellow indicator could mean that their controller is simply plugged into port 4 of the Xbox, or it could mean that they are using a turbo controller to cheat.  A mod chip COULD be programmed to make it look like the contoller is plugged into port 1.  There were people in ESPN 2K4 who tried to do this.  In an online league game you cannot simply "switch servers", you would have to drop and take a loss.  The comparison to PCs is irrelevant in this case.  I like the closed protected environment of Xbox Live.  Online PC gaming is anything but that.  For example I would MUCH rather play Counterstrike on Xbox Live than wade through the jungle that Counterstrike on the PC turned into.

Just my 2 pennies

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2004, 11:07:35 PM »

To you, apparently, it is.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2004, 11:15:46 PM »

The comparison to PCs is irrelevant in this case.  I like the closed protected environment of Xbox Live.  Online PC gaming is anything but that.  For example I would MUCH rather play Counterstrike on Xbox Live than wade through the jungle that Counterstrike on the PC turned into.

The comparison to PCs is the exact thing I was critcizing your comments about.

No kind of remote multiplayer is cheat-free.  Knowing this, I think it's wiser to take on a policy of avoidance instead of calling for the heads of anyone who just might have a controller in port 4.

And non-Source Counter-Strike is virtually cheat-free these days.  In fact, I've yet to see a cheater in the latest version.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2004, 11:20:41 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"

To you, apparently, it is.
OH SNAP!   :roll:

My issue is the naivete and sheltered ignorance of assuming hardware mods = evil.  Guess what, honey?  I bought the damn system.  It's mine.  I can do whatever the hell I please with it.

Yes, it's Microsoft's right to ban anyone from Live for absolutely anything, so don't try to bring up that point.  All I'm saying is this new set of bans is an obvious money-grab and has the unfortunate side-effect of putting modders (who don't affect your gaming experience on Live at all) in a bad light.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2004, 11:20:42 PM »

M$ is the Devil!!!  :twisted:

This never happens with my PS2..oh wait...there's no reason to be online with a PS2.
 :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2004, 11:57:52 PM »

The reason I initially mentioned it is the Xbox OS and platform is "closed". By modding it you're potentially running another OS on top of it, and/or alter the behaviour of the software (on your HDD perhaps Tongue) . It's not easy, but it can be done. DoS attacks, malware and general mischief would run rampant were MS to not defend their product; a product I'm PAYING THEM for.

LE, as to the idea that you can turn it into a flowerpot; yes, you can. However, just because you BOUGHT it doesn't mean you own the DATA on the hard disk; you are held libel any damages, potential or real for reverse engineering, alteration, distribution, etc, etc. Since the Live portion is software, they have every right to shut it down. They've not disabled the NIC; they've only severed that hardware from their own network.

As to a warning; why? Why should people who are using their product in the intended fashion need warning? I'm sure you (hypothetically) wouldn't call them up at 1-800-4my-xbox and say "Hi, yeah, um, I like your product and I'm going to start stealing it right now, mmkay? Okay then. Buhbye."

There *is* no dialog between the pir8 and the big-bad-company. Mod chip's primary use is for theft, plain and simple. (I don't buy the "region" BS, that potential market is a leaky little canoe in the middle of the pacific compared to the burgeoning armada of software pirates and their damned parrots). So I'm not going to send out a newsletter to the local theives union 437 about the security measures I'll be taking to protect my home, unless the value lies in deterrent.

*MS HAS NEVER *EVER* CONDONED CHANGING THE HARDWARE CONFIG OF THE XBOX. They are enforcing that on their Live network. If you have factory provided goods; you're fine. If you like tinkering; tinker away. But forget about live.

MS has made statements to warn off pirates / modded xbox's from using Live. Consider it warning enough. I won't be using my megaxkey or my kbd/mouse adapter when the network cable is in. <Shrug>

:?:  Now, LE, why have you put SO MUCH effort into a thread on a product you don't use, have access to, support or even LIKE?  :?

/edit: tried to sooth inflamation. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2004, 12:17:45 AM »

I think this argument would be different if a new Xbox or used XBox wasn't so reasonably priced.

It isn't about adding a larger hard drive, replacing a broken DVD. Microsoft isn't saying that you can't use a mod chip....they are saying that you cannot change the hardware in any way. There isn't a grey area when looking at it from their perspective. Either it is "stock", or it isn't. And I agree with their stand that any machine that has been modified should not be allowed on Xbox Live!.

I used to play Counterstrike all the time (PC) and I should state openly that I've seen how cheats can ruin a game.

A used Xbox can be found for less than $100. And I'm sorry the cheaters of the world have led to Microsoft's policy.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2004, 12:22:20 AM »

So are the bans happening from the having the mod chips, a bigger hard drive, or what? I have a system that I have used before with no problems and it was put together by my brother from other non-working broken systems. I have a new Live kit that I want to use, but don't want to waste it if I am just going to be banned the minute I connect.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2004, 12:25:06 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
So are the bans happening from the having the mod chips, a bigger hard drive, or what? I have a system that I have used before with no problems and it was put together by my brother from other non-working broken systems. I have a new Live kit that I want to use, but don't want to waste it if I am just going to be banned the minute I connect.

want a 2 month free trial first? PM me for a key. As far as the hardware is concerned, I would suggest calling MS first. *If* the parts came from xbox's and their not aftermarket, it should work fine. That's exactly what the "refurbished" xboxes are.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2004, 12:28:04 AM »

The comparison to PCs is irrelevant in this case.  I like the closed protected environment of Xbox Live.  Online PC gaming is anything but that.  For example I would MUCH rather play Counterstrike on Xbox Live than wade through the jungle that Counterstrike on the PC turned into.

The comparison to PCs is the exact thing I was critcizing your comments about.

No kind of remote multiplayer is cheat-free.  Knowing this, I think it's wiser to take on a policy of avoidance instead of calling for the heads of anyone who just might have a controller in port 4.

And non-Source Counter-Strike is virtually cheat-free these days.  In fact, I've yet to see a cheater in the latest version.

You are the one who brought up the dire prediction of MS doing this to our PCs. Avoidance in online sports leagues is not an option. You cannot avoid someone cheating in a league game, you can only concede them the win. Of course if you think they are cheating in Halo 2 then you switch servers. My point is that I just don't want to have to worry about it.  I have never seen a cheater in CS on Live, I think all of the smacktards are now migrating to CS Source on the PC.  I hope Valve can keep Source as clean as MS is keeping Live.  

How is MS money-grabbing by suspending someone's Live account?  I just do not understand that argument.  Are they trying to get you to go out and buy another Xbox?  If anything people who are banned will not Buy Halo2 now.  They will just use Xbox Connect and play with thier pirated versions.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"

want a 2 month free trial first? PM me for a key. As far as the hardware is concerned, I would suggest calling MS first. *If* the parts came from xbox's and their not aftermarket, it should work fine. That's exactly what the "refurbished" xboxes are.

Thank you for the offer, but I just found one that is still valid. I'll have to give it a shot this weekend.

Actually I do have another question: I use a college network and did so last time but I connected the Xbox directly to the network. Is a router needed or will a switch work if I want to use both my PC and Xbox now? I have a D-Link DSS-5+ switch.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2004, 12:49:47 AM »

Interesting thread...because I'm interested in getting an xbox soon, but am not sure if I want to go live or not...but where do you find xboxes for $99?  Also if that's used, how do you know the xbox isn't banned?

Is there also an advantage of having a larger drive?  Isn't the drive used for saving games and if so...how large are these game saves??

Thanks.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2004, 02:31:31 AM »

Quote from: "Zero"
Interesting thread...because I'm interested in getting an xbox soon, but am not sure if I want to go live or not...but where do you find xboxes for $99?  Also if that's used, how do you know the xbox isn't banned?

Is there also an advantage of having a larger drive?  Isn't the drive used for saving games and if so...how large are these game saves??

I don't know where you find Xboxes for $99, but there are refurbs for about $119.99 at EBGames and Reconditions for $129.99.  Refurbed means the system was sent back (whether broken or not...basically a system return) and Microsoft tested it to make sure it worked.  Reconditioned ones are usually broken Xboxes that Microsoft puts new parts in to work.  At least that is how I take those words to mean.

Honestly, I think the Holiday bundle is a pretty good deal, especially if you're into sports.  For $149.99 you get the Xbox, NCAA Football 2005 and Top Spin.  That's basically two games for free.

As for hard drive space.  You have 8GB to work with and that translates to the famous "50,000+ blocks left" thing you see when you go into the hard drive through the dashboard.  Saves don't take that much, much of the Live downloads take thousands of blocks, but it still doesn't eat into my 50k+ number.  If you start putting songs from retail CDs onto the hard drive for the games that include custom soundtracks you may eat into that 50k+ number quite a bit the more songs you put on.

Hope that answers your questions.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2004, 10:21:57 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Actually I do have another question: I use a college network and did so last time but I connected the Xbox directly to the network. Is a router needed or will a switch work if I want to use both my PC and Xbox now? I have a D-Link DSS-5+ switch.

That depends on your network. If the college network is set up for DHCP and you're allowed multiple IP addresses, you should be fine with whichever (as the switch will need every device to have it's own IP). I'd suggest keeping your PC behind the router for the firewall / NAT protection it offers. It's not perfect, but it is better than nothing.

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2004, 02:29:32 PM »

Is there also an advantage of having a larger drive?

Thanks.

You can copy all your games to your hard drive and not have to play them from the DVD drive.  Faster load times for games like Fable and Magna Cum Laude.  You can store all your MP3s, web movies,  emulators on it.  Just some of the advantages you can have.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »

Makes me glad I do not really care about the Live service.  I will use my computer to play on-line without a fee, thank you.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2004, 02:37:14 PM »

Thanks.

My friend works at a local gameshop that sells used systems and he can get me one with his discount.  

The advantage of having a larger hard drive for me is that I have every single game from the NES, SNES, Genesis, all the systems before those in the form of emulators, + my favorite arcade fighter of all time Killer Instinct.  I put new movies on it all the time for my fiance and I to watch (plays Divx, mpg, avi, wmi, .vob, .bin, .iso, .etc).  I stream shoutcast radio streams from the Xbox to my sound system & now I put every single Xbox game I own on the hard drive which cuts down on load times, but more important I don't get any more dirty disc errors (launch Xbox with the Thomson drive).  I have a 160 gigs, and right now I have about 70 gigs free.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2004, 05:12:03 PM »

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=games

YES!  I can play Halo 2 online afterall, with voice support!  

I'm very happy and may not buy a new one after all.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2004, 06:56:24 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Is there also an advantage of having a larger drive?

Thanks.

You can copy all your games to your hard drive and not have to play them from the DVD drive.  Faster load times for games like Fable and Magna Cum Laude.  You can store all your MP3s, web movies,  emulators on it.  Just some of the advantages you can have.

Hmm...not having to play from the DVD drive directly from the hard drive - and it probably increases load times.  Wow!  Aren't XBox games DVD type format...so like 10GB per game?  That means to take advantage of any mod chip...you have to get a larger hard drive...hmm...don't know if I want to mess with that  :?

The MP3s, I can live without (have a creative zen xtra), the emulators - have a dreamcast smile....and XB Live is only $50 a year.  Dang...hate these pros and cons type decisions!! :evil:
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2004, 06:59:21 PM »

Hmm...not having to play from the DVD drive directly from the hard drive - and it probably increases load times.  Wow!  Aren't XBox games DVD type format...so like 10GB per game?

Not really.  Most big games are in the 2-3GB size from what I have seen.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2004, 07:08:40 PM »

Thanks.

My friend works at a local gameshop that sells used systems and he can get me one with his discount.  

The advantage of having a larger hard drive for me is that I have every single game from the NES, SNES, Genesis, all the systems before those in the form of emulators, + my favorite arcade fighter of all time Killer Instinct.  I put new movies on it all the time for my fiance and I to watch (plays Divx, mpg, avi, wmi, .vob, .bin, .iso, .etc).  I stream shoutcast radio streams from the Xbox to my sound system & now I put every single Xbox game I own on the hard drive which cuts down on load times, but more important I don't get any more dirty disc errors (launch Xbox with the Thomson drive).  I have a 160 gigs, and right now I have about 70 gigs free.

Eco, you are making it difficult...maybe I should get two  :shock:  HAHAHA...but seriously...at $99 (with your discount) its pretty much a no-brainer to buy one....the reason why I thought if I wanted a modded one, I would probably buy two, to avoid getting a ban from MS.  But I think I'm not going down the route of modding it yet...mainly because the only advantage I see right now (for my situation) is being able to dump the games onto the hard drive.  I don't have a kick-ass entertainment center to plug the Xbox in, so I don't think I will miss out on anything there.  But I do want to play Live (and join the CG group here for some online fun smile).  I need to start looking around for a $99 deal  :wink: and I've read a lot of "rumours" about a price drop after Xmas - but I'm not sure I want to wait!!  :twisted:

When the Xbox launched and then MechAssault came out...I was soo close to buying one.  Is that game still popular on Live?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2004, 07:13:00 PM »

When the Xbox launched and then MechAssault came out...I was soo close to buying one.  Is that game still popular on Live?

I don't know how popular it is, but the sequel comes out on December 28th and there's a lot more to do in it than the first one.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2004, 07:19:43 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Hmm...not having to play from the DVD drive directly from the hard drive - and it probably increases load times.  Wow!  Aren't XBox games DVD type format...so like 10GB per game?

Not really.  Most big games are in the 2-3GB size from what I have seen.

Hey your not helping  :wink:!  Here I am on the path of not modding and now you pull me back  :lol:   Just kidding...I really do appreciate the info.  I also started reading up...and looks like there is a way to play "online" bypassing XBLive...of course you have to mod it too....sigh.  Oh well...I think I'll buy the Xbox first and then we'll see smile

Here's a screen shot I found on some xbox site, that said the XBox Media Center and something called Xlink KAI can be used to play online, without XBLive...still not sure of all the jargons (eg. Evo VII, system-link, etc) yet, but learning.  Is there a CG group playing with Xlink KAI?

XLink Kai lets you connect with other console users around the world, and play online games for free. XLink Kai: Evo VII tricks your console into thinking that the other users it is connecting to over the Internet, are actually part of a Local Area Network. This is the basis of system-link gaming, where friends would gather around in the same house and play over 2 or more consoles. With XLink Kai: Evo VII, you now have the option to test your skills out with anybody in the world. As for the technical aspects of tunnelling network packets, we won't bore you with that...
Features:
- Supports XBox, GameCube and PlayStation2 system-link / LAN enabled games.
- 2 gaming modes (Messenger and Arena).
- Integrated chat in all areas.
- No port-forwarding required on almost all network setups.
- PC to PC and PC to XBox voice conversations using the SPEEX codec.
- Extremely simple user-interface.
- Auto-update notifications.
- Multi-console compatible.
- Compatible with wireless networks (not all wireless network setups).
- Superior compression algorithms for less lag.
- Network connection monitor/s.
- Support for university dorms and proxies such as Italian FastWeb ISP.
- Trusted clan and tournament / ladder arenas.
- Remote functionality through homebrew dashboards (for XBox users only)
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2004, 09:31:38 PM »

Just some info from someone who had this happen....

I had been without Live for about a year since my son connected to Live without disabling my mod chip. It wasn't a real big thing for me since I didn't use Live too much, so only he was affected. Last month was his burthday and he got some money and since he wants to play CS, Mech Assault 2, and Greg Hastings Paintball on Live, I made him buy the replacement, so we now have 2 Xboxes. We went to a local Gamestop and got a used one. When we tried to connect, it turns out that the box was already  banned. (The old owner must have had a mod chip or something). We went back and traded for a different one and that worked, so make sure you can return the used Xbox before you buy.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2004, 10:22:05 PM »

Thanks for the tip Punisher smile

Zero, I posted a link to Xlink KAI  above smile

I'll be on there for sure now!

Tonight even!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2004, 10:42:03 PM »

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=games

YES!  I can play Halo 2 online afterall, with voice support!  

I'm very happy and may not buy a new one after all.
Told ya.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: