http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 02:53:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banned From Xbox Live  (Read 8323 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 03:54:34 AM »

Save all the serves you right crap for another thread, please smile

I have a mod chip, with an external switch.  I also have a bios that won't even allow you to attempt to log onto Xbox Live while the chip is turned on.  Today I tried to play ESPN NFL 2K5 against stiffler for the CG league and It says I've been banned for having a modified Xbox.  

All I have to say is, DAMN.

MS and their billions have figured out how to go completely around the fact that the chip is turned off and apparently check the serial number on the hard drive and if it doesn't match the original HD you're banned automatically.  

So, I've been banned on Halo 2 eve.  Tell me that wasn't a brilliant move by them.  They release the most anticipated game of all time (arguably), and bann 1,000's of people from accessing one of the games most appealing features, online play.  What are a large number of those people going to do?  Buy a new Xbox to use for Xbox Live, me included.  Holy shit, their brilliant.

Wake up.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 04:02:12 AM »

HA-HA </Nelson>

:shock:

Sorry to hear it. I was thinking of getting a mod chip, but I have a second box to put it in. I for one would never take the chance.

LiveTAG: happydog
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 04:03:50 AM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
What are a large number of those people going to do?
Pirate Halo 2 in retribution and play using a homebrew server navigator.

It's what I'd do.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 04:04:50 AM »

Yea, the switch has worked perfectly forever though, they changed their method.

I'll just pick up another one, maybe a used one or something.  I have an old palm (Visor Platinum ) that I could sell for $50 to put torward it slywink

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 04:05:20 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
What are a large number of those people going to do?
Pirate Halo 2 in retribution and play using a homebrew server navigator.

It's what I'd do.

It's in French though and I want to know the story slywink

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 04:10:13 AM »

Wake up.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 04:48:02 AM »

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 04:53:10 AM »

:  puke

Wake up.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 04:55:42 AM »

Eco,

Got your PM on this, but for some reason all my outbound PM's get stuck in my Outbox for days, and never get sent.

Sorry to hear about the banning.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 05:29:56 AM »

ell oh ell.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:51 AM »

That blows, although it is the chance you take when you do that obviously.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
That blows, although it is the chance you take when you do that obviously.

Yup frown

Wake up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 02:12:56 PM »

What a bummer.

But look at the bright side.... You are engaged to be married!  That makes up for everything!

LD   smile

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 02:14:51 PM »

Lol, at least they gave you a new 2 month's free card with Halo 2  biggrin.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 02:23:42 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
What a bummer.

But look at the bright side.... You are engaged to be married!  That makes up for everything!

LD   smile

Indeed Ponch, indeed smile  April 2nd is the big day!  I can't wait.

madpeon, the whole xbox is banned, not just my account.  In order to play  Halo 2 online I will have to purchase a new Xbox, thus the reason I think MS is even more brilliant than we give the credit for.

Wake up.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 02:31:16 PM »

That stinks, but I guess you were playing with fire.

Time to get yourself a second X-Box for 'Live Only' activity.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 02:32:47 PM »

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet if you had just put the chip in there and not added the big hard drive you'd probably still be up and running.  Just conjecture on my part though...

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 02:47:34 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet if you had just put the chip in there and not added the big hard drive you'd probably still be up and running.  Just conjecture on my part though...

I'm pretty sure you're correct.

The HD makes the package complete though smile  (every NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, coleco, gamegear, game ever made...) :lol:

Wake up.
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 03:13:56 PM »

If it checks your hard drive inside the xbox, could you not just switch back to your old 8 gig drive rather than buying a new one, and just leave the xbox case open to swap out the pirate hard disk?

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 03:17:56 PM »

Quote from: "programmerbob"
If it checks your hard drive inside the xbox, could you not just switch back to your old 8 gig drive rather than buying a new one, and just leave the xbox case open to swap out the pirate hard disk?

People have switched back and become unbanned, only to be banned 24 hours or so later.

Wake up.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 05:15:16 PM »

I'll say it once and I'll say it again:  Pirate the game or just buy it and use the inevitable homebrew server browser.

Seriously, if I'd modded my XBox and Microsoft pulled this shit on me, I'd never buy another XBox product again (I'd pirate anything I wanted to play).

That you're even considering buying another XBox makes me sick.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 05:25:34 PM »

I'll say it once and I'll say it again:  Pirate the game or just buy it and use the inevitable homebrew server browser.

Seriously, if I'd modded my XBox and Microsoft pulled this shit on me, I'd never buy another XBox product again (I'd pirate anything I wanted to play).

The only games I ever buy anymore are Xbox Live games and any other game I plan on actually playing more than a few times (ie. prince of persia etc.)  I have saved $100's of dollars already by not buying mediocre games.

It sucks that they did it, but it is their right, no?  I found a used Xbox for $99, and since Halo 2 came with 2 free months of Live I could be up and running for $99 (Halo 2 is already paid for).

Wake up.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 05:37:04 PM »

Eco, if you're going to get a used xbox, make sure it's not one with a Thompson drive.

Look here to compare
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 05:53:21 PM »

LE, Microsoft can pull that anytime they want. The XBox is their product, their intellectual property.  If they feel that people are wrecking their IP, they have every right to take steps to prevent usage of the modded product on more of their IP (that being XBox Live).  

As everyone else has said, it's a risk you take.  Kudos to Microsoft for catching it.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 05:54:01 PM »

Good point Jeff.  Thanks for the reminder and the link. smile

Wake up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 05:59:35 PM »

#1 - questionable reasoning there. If they deny me access to a service they provide, when I have FULL KNOWLEDGE of the acceptable usage and EULA agreements including having modified hardware, then I'm entitled to get pissy and feel justified in stealing from their product line (which hurts the software devs as much as MS)? :roll:  Next time you get a ticket for a traffic violation, go shoot the cop's relatives.

#2 - How is it shit? It's a sight better than having cheats and hacks to online games. And FYI, Sony would do it if their infrastructure could handle it. Every company is worried about piracy. Sony has denied COUNTRIES access to their product based on piracy levels in that market.

#3 - He got caught; he knew the risks. It's not like it's a surprise. It's not like they sent a special packet to his Xbox to disable the bios, rendering it useless. He just can't come out and race in a "no mods" racing event with a suped up 'box.

#4 - Suck it up, buttercup .  Tongue As I understand it, Eco isn't all that broken up about it. He's got his replacement plan, and he still has a perfectly good "offline" Xbox. <shrug>

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 06:07:02 PM »

You guys have made some good points to counter LE's comments. I would like to remind you that he has a history of posting somewhat extreme opinions. Please don't fall into the trap of getting into a nasty argument.

There's no debating that EcoLogic, or anyone else who mods their xbox has violated their EULA, and MS has plainly stated that modded xbox's will banned from Live.

I've been thinking of modding mine for a media center and classic arcade features, but now I know I'll be buying a 2nd xbox to do it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 06:10:07 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I would like to remind you that he has a history of posting somewhat extreme opinions. Please don't fall into the trap of getting into a nasty argument.

Ya think? slywink I'm tryin' my damnedest, man.  biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 06:13:40 PM »

The only thing worse than banning modded X-boxes would be for them to have rampant cheating ruin Halo 2 (and/or people copying the game from each other), so I can understand why they did it.  Sucks though.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 06:24:37 PM »

What I love is Eco's awesome, rational reaction.

"I did it. I knew the risks. I got caught. I'll deal with it."

I wish I could see the looks on the less mature l33t hax0rs faces when they realize that they're banned.

Let's see if I can do this right...

Buying an Xbox: $149
Modding the Xbox: $50
Buying Halo2: $49

Realizing that Microsoft has banned your ass for modding your Xbox: Pwned!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 06:31:39 PM »

It sucks that they did it, but it is their right, no?  I found a used Xbox for $99, and since Halo 2 came with 2 free months of Live I could be up and running for $99 (Halo 2 is already paid for).
Yes, it is their right, I'll admit that.

And really, all you lose is Live for getting 'caught,' so it's not that bad.  It's not like the system self-destructs.  But look for that feature in the XBox 2!

I guess there are some things that just rub me the wrong way about this:

1.)  It's done on the eve of Halo 2.  That's sleazy.

2.)  There's no 'second chance' (which goes hand in hand with there being no warning... and I don't mean the piddly, never-read EULA, I mean, "Your ass is about to be scanned in a brand new way for mods, continue?").  No option to say "Alright, I made a mistake, I'll unmod it, give you guys a call and we'll work it out."  Either you buy a new one or gg, you're fucked, buy a new one kthxbye.

3.)  Microsoft attempting to paint this as a big legal immoral hububabloo.  IP and DMCA be damned:  if I paid $150 for this thing, I can turn it into a frickin' flower bed if I want to, as well as do anything inbetween, including installing a mod chip I bought.  But no, Microsoft insists on training their fanbois to say 'ZOMG U MODD TEH XBOX?  JIAL TYME WIT BUTTSEKZ 4 U!!!11'

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2004, 06:32:57 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
The only thing worse than banning modded X-boxes would be for them to have rampant cheating ruin Halo 2 (and/or people copying the game from each other), so I can understand why they did it.  Sucks though.

Actually what would be worse is accidental banning of non-modded xboxs. It sounds like they are taking steps to ban based not on a mod chip, but on the hardware/software setup. DirecTV does/did mass bans for illegal access cards back in the day. The problem was, their idea of ban was to lock the smart-card into a loop essentially destroying it (until it was later learned how to un-loop a card), and they made some mistakes where many legit customers were affected (I.E. no more service). Just imaging the possibilities.  :shock:

LE:
1.) It's done on the eve of Halo 2. That's sleazy.

Sleazy? I say brilliant. Hit them when it hurts. Also in relation to the above story, DirecTV does their 'ban' right before big football games, like the Super Bowl.

2.) There's no 'second chance' (which goes hand in hand with there being no warning... and I don't mean the piddly, never-read EULA, I mean, "Your ass is about to be scanned in a brand new way for mods, continue?"). No option to say "Alright, I made a mistake, I'll unmod it, give you guys a call and we'll work it out." Either you buy a new one or gg, you're fucked, buy a new one kthxbye.

Going pretty far out on a limb here but... Do you think a murder should be given a second chance? Hey now you've been killing people if you stop now all is good, continue and we are taking you away. Ok, so that is way out there on the extreme.

LiveTAG: happydog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2004, 06:56:48 PM »

I don't even consider it sleazy.  In fact, I think the person who came up with the idea to ban modded Xbox's on the day before the biggest Xbox game ever is released should receive a promotion and a sizable bonus.  I know I would promote him if I were his boss.

The only thing I'm bummed about is missing the rest of the ESPN Football league as I was really enjoying it and visioned a comeback and triumph in the playoffs.  I won't be buying a new Xbox until early december, so I have to bow out of the league.  Very sorry to everyone in the league.  

Chances are someone will find out a sure fire way to unban your xbox between now and then so I will also be keeping my eye on the scene smile

Anyway, at least my friend and I still get to play some Co-op Halo 2 tonight as planned, I can't wait! (hell from the Hard Drive now if we want!)

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2004, 07:02:28 PM »

Are people even sure that buying a new Xbox will work?  Even assuming you try and register for a new Live account with it, won't they be able to link it to your old banned account either via credit card or address its registered under?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2004, 07:03:38 PM »

Eco,

What mod chip were you using and what version of its BIOS?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2004, 07:15:25 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"

Sleazy? I say brilliant. Hit them when it hurts. Also in relation to the above story, DirecTV does their 'ban' right before big football games, like the Super Bowl.

Going pretty far out on a limb here but... Do you think a murder should be given a second chance? Hey now you've been killing people if you stop now all is good, continue and we are taking you away. Ok, so that is way out there on the extreme.

Oh, it's unabashadly brilliant, yet equally sleazy.  It shows Microsoft doesn't give a rat's ass about cheaters on XBox Live, they just want more of your money.

And no offense, but you went so far out on that limb that I think it snapped off.  All we need now is a Holocaust reference to get things really hopping.   :wink:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2004, 07:17:41 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Are people even sure that buying a new Xbox will work?  Even assuming you try and register for a new Live account with it, won't they be able to link it to your old banned account either via credit card or address its registered under?

Yea, it will work.  I wouldn't even have to change my account in fact.  It's just the actual Xbox that is banned, not my Live account.

Dimmona,

I'm using an Xecuter Pro 2, and the X3 Bios (not sure what version).

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2004, 07:18:33 PM »

And to clarify, a mod chip doesn't allow people to cheat in online games.  Period.  

So I'm not sure why cheaters are even mentioned here.

Wake up.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2004, 07:21:42 PM »

I was reading at Gametab about this. Some are saying that even home-replaced DVD drives (replacing the shitty Thompson yourself) earns you a lifetime ban. Isn't that a bit extreme? Or can DVD drives be h4xx0R3d to allow burned games to work?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2004, 07:27:25 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Or can DVD drives be h4xx0R3d to allow burned games to work?

I don't think that is possible.  The bios would have to be modified in some way.

Wake up.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: