http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:54:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banjo Kazooie 3 shots, Viva Pinata 2 coming  (Read 1261 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:49:47 AM »

1Up has some news about what will be shown at this week's Microsoft Gamer's Day, including a Viva Pinata sequel and the first BK3 screenshots.  Big versions of the shots are available at NeoGAF (pages 5 and 6).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

Those pics look great, I'm excited for a new Banjo game. The Xbox 360 can definately use more light hearted platformers. Ah boy, those games look spectacular graphically. I've been staring at GTA4 so long I forgot games can actually look crisp in high-def.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:56:47 AM »

I'm actually excited for Viva Pinata 2 since it looks like it has a full 2 player co-op mode.  Before, if there were multiple kids playing they both controlled the cursor.  Now they can manage the garden together.

I also hope they simplify the menu system and make the whole collection and breeding more kid friendly.

My two little cousins love this game, but even though they're in the age group, the menu system doesn't really lend itself to easy navigation, and they're often confused at the basic things like how to get certain pinata types in their gardens.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 04:02:40 AM »

In other VP news, IGN has a first look at Viva Pinata : Pocket Paradise for the DS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:07:02 AM »

Banjo shots are doing zero for me.  But I love a good platformer so I'll be interested anyway (I've never played the first two games). 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »

I have absolutely no care for the Banjo 3 shots. They don't interest me at all.

Maybe it's just my thoughts of Rare as a whole over the last few years, I dunno.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »

I'm really excited about VP2 but I don't feel like I've put in nearly as much time on the original as I would have liked (it's still sitting in my on deck circle to revisit).

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »

The Banjo Kazooie shots look great to me.  The big ones on GAF are infinitely better.  Nice texture work, some cool designs, and a lot of personality.  The shots so far definitely do make it look like some sort of cart-racer type game.  They've denied it, but haven't clarified yet.  Will be interesting to hear more about it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »

I played and really enjoyed the first Banjo on N64, but these shots and their vehicle focused description are not doing it for me.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on May 13, 2008, 02:42:44 PM

I'm really excited about VP2 but I don't feel like I've put in nearly as much time on the original as I would have liked (it's still sitting in my on deck circle to revisit).

Maybe 2p co-op will get your slacker ass to put the time into VP that it deserves. icon_twisted VP is still the best game I've played on the 360, no contest. There are some other superb titles, but it beats all for a whole number of reasons. I've put more time into Rock Band, and will continue to do so, and Rock Band may be my favorite 360 title, but Viva Pinata is the best game the 360 has to offer: inventive, relaxing, heavy on user-driven creativity, wide appeal, and with a slew of goals one can set for themself. Hard to justify it objectively, but if someone had to hold up the best example of a next-gen title on the 360, I'd still put VP as the definitive title.

As for Banjo-Kazooie, I'm not digging most of the screenshots. So far it looks like some sort of mutant cross with Jak & Daxter, and that's not what I want. I want Banjo Kazooie 3, with a more focused design like the first game than the second. All this vehicle crap really concerns me.

Hell, maybe they'll take mercy on me and simply remake the original title for XBLA with HD resolution and textures. It was one of the two best games released on the N64; Ocarina of Time being the other.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »

I'm just curious what exactly this Banjo Kazooie is going to be in regards to gameplay.  It sounds like there is a much bigger component of vehicle building/customization and I guess the inherant racing/battles that come with those.  I really want a good platformer on the 360, not some sort of fancy Donkey Kong Racing (or Banjo Kartzooie, if you must). 

I'll certainly give the new Viva Pinata a chance.  Had there been some slightly better controls and adjustable game time in the last one I would have jumped on it.  I spent hours just with the demo alone. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »

Ok, after having seen some footage, I have to say I am now tentatively excited for Banjo Kazooie. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:27:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 13, 2008, 11:17:11 PM

Ok, after having seen some footage, I have to say I am now tentatively excited for Banjo Kazooie. 

That bit with the coconuts looks frustrating, but I like the idea of upgrading your vehicle to get to new areas (a staple of platforming).  Control is going to be key.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 13, 2008, 11:27:51 PM

That bit with the coconuts looks frustrating, but I like the idea of upgrading your vehicle to get to new areas (a staple of platforming).  Control is going to be key.

from what i've read, that part may only be frustrating if you have a poorly designed vehicle.  the big innovation in the game will be creating your own vehicles to complete the various tasks that are presented.   some ideas will work great, while others may backfire and make a task more difficult...it's all up to your own creativity and ingenuity.  i'm guessing that in that coconut bit, for example, you could create a vehicle with more than three wheels that wouldn't tip over so easily and spill what you've already picked up.  if that aspect of the game works well and is combined with a healthy dose of traditional platforming, i'll definitely be checking out the game.  i loved the N64 versions and really hope this one turns out well.

as for the new Viva Pinata game, have any of you watched the footage with Major Nelson on Inside XBox?  they've added a playing card aspect to the game that allows you to use cards with the Vision camera to perform certain actions.  i'm not sure it will really add much to the game, but it's interesting to see the Vision camera being put to more use in a game.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 12:17:43 AM »

Yeah, if you'd like to read a bit more about Banjo Kazooie, CVG has an interview with Gregg Mayles of Rare which is pretty decent. 

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »

Viva Pinata 2 will be a day one purchase for sure
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »

You're right, that DOES look much more promising. Thank you!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 02:36:22 AM »

there's another good preview for Banjo-Kazooie at Gamespot...lots of details i hadn't read anywhere else yet, including some very cool info about multiplayer options.  the more i read about this game, the more great potential it seems to have.  i think the big question will be whether the vehicle creation is a gimmick that gets old quickly, or something that stays interesting throughout the game...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »

more Banjo-Kazooie footage...may not be traditional BK gameplay, but some of the things vehicles are doing look like a lot of fun icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 12:55:28 AM »

Oh hells yeah.

I still want a "true" Banjo-Kazooie sequel, but this might just be the next best thing. icon_wink

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 01:35:05 AM »

Word is that this was not a BK game originally, but an idea for constructing vehicles that they forced BK to.  That's too bad, because I've always wanted to play the original BK games (never had an N64) and thought this would give me a taste. The first time I saw the pics and videos I thought "Gummi Ship", and that is most definitely not a good thing.  I'll keep watching to see the reviews, but I'm not as excited anymore.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 01:44:03 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2008, 01:35:05 AM

Word is that this was not a BK game originally, but an idea for constructing vehicles that they forced BK to.

That's the impression I got just from the screenshots, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 02:00:54 AM »

Here's the quote, from here:

How far was the game through development before you came up with the idea of creating vehicles?
The idea of the vehicles came before it was a Banjo game. The whole core idea of the player building vehicles from components was from the very start and it wasn't very long before we thought this'd make a good Banjo game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: