http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:43:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back & Forth, Back & Forth - No 360 for me...  (Read 2590 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2005, 03:37:14 PM »

I originally preordered the 360 in March, canceled that pre-order in June after my honeymoon, then decided that I want it for Christmas and my wife preordered it for me last month and have no decided that I don't actually want it this soon.

The launch list is fair, at best.  PGR3 looks amazing, as does Kameo, but to be honest those are the only two I am interested in.  I was looking forward to Full Auto and Oblivion, which of course were delayed.  The lack of a firm launch list and other information this close to launch has me a bit worried as well.  

Also, for some reason I was under the impresssion that the $399.99 version that I had preordered would come with wireless networking built in.  Wrong.  It should though... Instead you have to pay another $100 for that functionality.  I know it isn't a big deal, but I was looking forward to playing on Live, without dragging a cat 5 cable across my living room.

If there was an ESPN Football game at launch I would have never canceled my first pre-order.  

So, as of right now, I am thinking of getting an iPod Nano for Christmas and holding off on a new console until both are out or the 360 drops in price.  

I will miss playing on Live with you all though.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »

My disbelief about there not being a launch list at this point is turning to anger.

MS give us a freakin launch list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:14:25 PM »

Are you certain this is no concrete launch list yet?   I was under the assumption the 360 had a release date of like 3 weeks out.  Am I wrong?

That seems almost laughable.

LD  :?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:27:35 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Are you certain this is no concrete launch list yet?   I was under the assumption the 360 had a release date of like 3 weeks out.  Am I wrong?

That seems almost laughable.

LD  :?

I may be wrong, but in my understanding, the only "list" we have is from ebgames etc., which isn't official.

Most launch lists I have seen still have full auto and oblivion on them, which we know isn't accurate.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:44:29 PM »

What about a backwards compatibility list, as well?  Sheesh.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »

Ha!! I'm gettin the omega bundle and it has oblivion in it.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/360/360_omega.asp

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »

Damm I just read the oblivion thread and it is not coming out. Forget about this stupid console I might cancel my order.

sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 06:12:55 PM »

I ordered a 360 from Amazon when they put up a non-bundle version for a few hours. Of course, they canceled those orders once they realized there was some overpriced bundles to be sold.

Now I'm glad I'm not paying for a 360 at launch. The selection of launch games is becoming more and more pathetic. The Oblivion delay sealed it for me ... I'll just wait until spring and pull one off the shelf.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 09:12:52 PM »

Eco I am with you, except I couldn't put that money down period. But I have waxed and waned about whether or not I should figure a way to get one at launch.

I concluded that there is Nothing at launch that is officially confirmed that really locks the machine in. There's never anything wrong with waiting, and heck if we save some cash we can use that to buy more 60 dollar games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »

I'm pretty unmotivated by the 360 launch too.  Condemned is now looking at my most wanted title in the launch window.  I played a bit of Kameo on a demo unit and since I love platformers I'm sure I'll like it but it didn't look like it offered anything I can't get from Sony's 3 platforming franchises.  

The only reason I'm still keeping my preorder is that its much easier to justify getting for Christmas than halfway through next year when some real killer apps finally show up.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:26:12 AM »

I will buy the system the day Gears of War hits the streets and no sooner.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 12:56:07 AM »

What ^^^^ he said...
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 01:14:51 AM »

Quote from: "sclick"
I ordered a 360 from Amazon when they put up a non-bundle version for a few hours. Of course, they canceled those orders once they realized there was some overpriced bundles to be sold.

Are you serious?  Did Amazon really do this to everyone who ordered the standalone console?

Personally, I'm not getting a 360 until late next year...maybe not at all.  I'm going to see how it stacks up against the PS3 and the best console wins.  I haven't been overly "wowed" by the 360 anyway.  Everything I've seen looks like PC graphics from a year or two ago.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 01:42:04 AM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Damm I just read the oblivion thread and it is not coming out. Forget about this stupid console I might cancel my order.

That's the spirit!   :lol:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 03:05:44 AM »

I too am waffling about this, but I think I will end up getting the console, Condemened, PD0, Kameo, and maybe Madden. There is a ton of shit I will and do want on it coming in the next 6-9 months, its new and shiny, and I am stupid, so methinks that my baser instincts will win out and I will buy it.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 03:07:11 AM »

I've decided to wait and build another PC instead.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 06:28:35 AM »

I was going to wait until sometime next year, but now that I know all of you are going to wait I'll have to hurry and get mine.  :twisted:

Actually my wife keeps insisting that I am going to get it sometime anyway, might as well be sooner rather than later. Only problem is I didn't preorder.  frown

LiveTAG: happydog
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 07:06:59 AM »

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/nintendo-themes-p1.php

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 07:07:28 AM »

I was going to wait until sometime next year, but now that I know all of you are going to wait I'll have to hurry and get mine.

.... LOL!

Actually my wife keeps insisting that I am going to get it sometime anyway, might as well be sooner rather than later. Only problem is I didn't preorder.
Happydog, your wife is the Voice of Reason! Listen to her!  There will be a Best Buy, or Wal-Mart, or Target just waiting for you!

Besides, you have to go with her instincts - you just know she's right!  You know us women - we're what you call... intuitive!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 08:03:31 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

Are you serious?  Did Amazon really do this to everyone who ordered the standalone console?

Yeah. I'm serious. They let the orders stand for less than a day, cancelled them all, and then put the bundles up. They said it was an error on their part butting the non-bundle versions there in the first place.

Personally, I'm not getting a 360 until late next year...maybe not at all.  I'm going to see how it stacks up against the PS3 and the best console wins.  I haven't been overly "wowed" by the 360 anyway.  Everything I've seen looks like PC graphics from a year or two ago.

I agree. Oblivion, for example, started out looking amazing but the recent screenshots are nothing jaw-dropping. The forests still look nice - that's about it.

We'll see how it all susses out. I was originally excited about the 360, lost my enthusiasm after their horrible E3 presentation, got a bit of it back, and now I'm back to just shrugging about it--and this from a definate fan of the original Xbox.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 09:10:41 AM »

Amazon might have no say in this, at least looking at what's happening in Europe.

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2005/11/01/xbox_360_retail_bully.html

'Gizmodo’s new Norwegian correspondent SilverSnake sends shocking—shocking!—news about Microsoft’s Xbox 360 retail marketing demands. Retailers in the land of King Herald V are each being alloted a supply of 20 consoles, 6 core editions and 14 premium versions. But there is a catch: In order to get all of them, each shop or chain has to sign an agreement saying that they will sell out of all 20 consoles on the release date (which is December 2 over there). On top of that, the retailers must agree to sell a minimum of 2 games per console.

“Microsoft Norway even said them selves that they’re gonna use the ‘Sold Out’ as a marketing strategy to hype the console.”'

I'm shocked.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=41101&forum_id=1
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 02:03:13 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
I was going to wait until sometime next year, but now that I know all of you are going to wait I'll have to hurry and get mine.  :twisted:

Actually my wife keeps insisting that I am going to get it sometime anyway, might as well be sooner rather than later. Only problem is I didn't preorder.  frown

If you really want it we can discuss you taking over my pre-order.  PM me if you want to do that.  Otherwise, I am canceling it this weekend.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 02:07:38 PM »

Yeah. I'm serious. They let the orders stand for less than a day, cancelled them all, and then put the bundles up. They said it was an error on their part butting the non-bundle versions there in the first place.

I agree. Oblivion, for example, started out looking amazing but the recent screenshots are nothing jaw-dropping. The forests still look nice - that's about it.

We'll see how it all susses out. I was originally excited about the 360, lost my enthusiasm after their horrible E3 presentation, got a bit of it back, and now I'm back to just shrugging about it--and this from a definate fan of the original Xbox.

Oblivion has been looking less and less impressive over time. When the first shots came out I was thinking it was the best looking game ever...but now it just looks good.

Now that it has been delayed, it will look even worse compared to stuff that is coming out next year.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 02:26:49 PM »

I've waffled somewhat on getting the 360 at launch as well.  But, knowing that I will only buy one console this time around, and knowing how this generation worked out for me, it is a no brainer.

That, combined with the fact that financially I can either buy it by the end of this year, or likely won't have the money to do so until 2007/2008?  That really makes it an easier decision.

The games will come.  Oblivion is why I Needed this console; it'll be out soon enough.  Kameo, Call of Duty 2, or Condemmed should hold me in the meantime though.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 04:26:43 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"

That's the spirit!   :lol:

Yeehaa!
 :lol:

I decide dto go on release day and order pizza and chinese food. I will buy tons of OLD Xbox games and play games like it was the 360 but no 360. Ha! Maybe tons of PC and Cube games too. Take the day off; sit my ass and laugh at all the 360 launch freaks going crazy.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 06:37:22 PM »

Oblivion has been looking less and less impressive over time. When the first shots came out I was thinking it was the best looking game ever...but now it just looks good.

Now that it has been delayed, it will look even worse compared to stuff that is coming out next year.

See, I don't care, hardly at all about this.  If they made Morrowind exactly as it looks now - but with a different story, quests, caves and castles, etc. - I'd be waiting in line at midnight whenever it came out.  Super graphics - to me - are gravy.  I love it, but the roast beef and potatoes are what I'm really after!   Morrowind kept me playing it over and over because of the gameplay, not the graphics. I hope Oblivion is better, it just doesn't matter that much to me.

I will buy tons of OLD Xbox games and play games like it was the 360 but no 360. Ha! Maybe tons of PC and Cube games too. Take the day off; sit my ass and laugh at all the 360 launch freaks going crazy.

Well, this launch freak won't be going crazy - for two reasons. One is that I have a #3 pre-order, and two- if I got bumped like Bluntman did - is that I could wait now, since Oblivion isn't coming with it.  However, barring that, I do have plans to play all night and all week - if Kameo or Quake IV are any good, plus I'll be checking out the Silver Live.  If Oblivion is delayed for two months, i'll be using the free two month Gold Live and checking that out for the first time.  No freaking out for me!  Cool  

Besides, I already have tons of unplayed XBox, PS2, Cube, Dreamcast, DS, and PSP games, so I'm golden no matter what (even a power failure, lol)... :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 06:49:24 PM »

It's actually kind of refreshing not to have any interest at all in the 360 launch.  I can avoid the inevitable 'Buy-a-ridiculous-amount-of-games-just-because-I-have-a-new-system' glut I always go through and save myself a ton of money.   I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually, but I am perfectly content to wait for a) a price drop and b) more games.  I've always been a late adopter, as launch and early-library titles always seem more like overpromoted cash-grabs than actual quality games.  Oblivion is the only game that interests me at this point (and that one only somewhat), so I'll be on the sidelines waiting for a while.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 06:51:08 PM »

Wow, talk about jumping off the bandwagon. Bitter much? For the record, I still think it is by far the best looking first run next gen game coming out by far.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »

When you stare at the sun for too long, everything starts to look the same slywink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 07:02:33 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"

When you stare at the sun for too long, everything starts to look the same slywink

The funny has found this post.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 07:07:07 PM »

EDIT to (sort of) delete double post:

I could swear there was a delete option on "edit post"?  Sorry for the double post, just lost my mind again!

oh, i just remembered, maybe - you can only do it if you started the thread?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 07:12:51 PM »

Wow, talk about jumping off the bandwagon.

Really, Calvin!  Like it was on fire, not just a little late! :lol:

When you stare at the sun for too long, everything starts to look the same

OOOH!  I hope that's a meaningful crumb!  I take it to mean that Oblivion will outshine everything else - yahoooo!  ... I hope it doesn't mean that he knows that Hetz stands around during the day, staring at the sun!   :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 07:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"

nice.  Since I've been wearing my Cool I'm doin' just fine. biggrin Two helpings of Oblivion, with a side of Amped3 and PGR3 for garnish, and I'm set. I guess I'll have to wait for my Geriatric Documents : Destruction. ::sigh::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: