http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:41:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augggh...torn! Mid-summer blues!  (Read 1061 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »

Just two months ago, I was commenting on the backlog of games:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,19503.0.html

Now, I'm stuck trying to find something new.  In the last two months my list has dwindled to nothing:

1.  LOTRO - I ran out of steam on this one early.  I'm just burnt on MMOs and I haven't logged on in a month.
2.  Civ 4 - I've tried every leader and won with each with a score over 10k.  The expansion isn't out for another month and a half.  So call this one finished!
3.  Football Manager 2007 - My nascent career is still waiting.  And will wait a bit longer because for whatever reason, I can't get into a career this time.
4.  Company of Heroes - finished!
5.  Titan Quest - finished!  And I didn't like it enough to get the expansion
6.  UFO: Extraterrestrials - see below
7.  The Forge of Freedom - see below
8.  OOTP 2008 - nah

With 3 finished games and my birthday just passing this week, it's time to reward myself.  But there's not much out there.  I'm really down to two choices.  UFO has had mixed reviews.  I'm a huge fan of X-Com and I've played it throughout the years, even as recently as a year or two ago.  But many of the huge X-Com fans said that I might as well reload X-Com and save the $40.  Still, the chance to get into some old-school turn-based small-squad (3 hypens in a row, a new record!) combat is rather appealing.

The other is FoF.  CSL's AAR got me fired up to the point I almost purchased it.  I mean, *almost* where I was visiting the order page on the Matrix site.  Then he stopped abruptly and hasn't even responded to a PM about the game.  The reviews are generally positive, but it's supposed to be overly complicated with an interface that's a PITA.  My biggest hangup is that it's $50 or $60 from Matrix, who unlike Stardock, have a "all sales are final" policy.  With no demo, if I get it and hate it, I'm entirely stuck with it.  And doing the DL version, I couldn't even sell it used to get back part of my money.  But a deep, fun strategy game can be some of the best gaming money ever spent.  Beyond the Civ series, I haven't found one in years.

Worse yet, there's nothing on the horizon for another month or two.  As I asked in the other thread...what's a gamer to do?

Oh, and I hate ordering from Matrix anyway.  Maximum-football wasn't entirely their fault, but it was a product they represented and it wasn't anywhere close to being done.  With their "all sales final" policy, I know of a few people who just got screwed buying that dog.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:55:45 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:00:13 PM »

All I can say is sorry. I still have a bunch of new games in my backlog (4-5), I have at least 4 RPGs I want to replay, DiRT comes out in 3 weeks, Darkness soon after, and 5 games I am buying from mid August to late September. There is just a ton of stuff coming out fairly soon if you can occupy yourself for a few months (the two new games and my backlog will tide me over till late august just fine).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »

Have you tried neverwinter Nights 2?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 01, 2007, 05:10:54 PM

Have you tried neverwinter Nights 2?

Yup, and thought it was decidedly mediocre.  I didn't finish it.  Performance was horrible and the game mechanics didn't do much for me either.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:24:44 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »

Have you tried the Fall from Heaven mod for Civ IV?  I just downloaded it (but I haven't tried it yet).  The player reviews for it are extremely positive.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on June 01, 2007, 06:01:16 PM

Have you tried the Fall from Heaven mod for Civ IV?  I just downloaded it (but I haven't tried it yet).  The player reviews for it are extremely positive.

I actually started playing a game with FfH, but didn't complete it.  I'm sure it's a fantastic mod, but everything moved so sloooooooowly and, ultimately, it was Civ 4 all over again.  Which I've played to death (and enjoyed, and gotten my moneys' worth and far more).

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 08:43:57 PM »

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 01, 2007, 08:43:57 PM

I await your precense on the battlefield.
Kratz
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »

How about Silent Hunter IV?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 04:25:18 AM »

Well, fukaduk.

I purchased Forge of Freedom today, digital download (with the hard copy disks on the way). Unfortunately, I can't get it to run.  The download worked fine and the install worked ok.  When I boot the game, the first error I get is about the Indeo Codec not being present on my machine. Of course, the website the message sends you to asks for money since Indeo isn't free any longer.  I've checked other threads on that board and found a link to the old free codec. I downloaded it and...it says I have a more current version and doesn't install.   saywhat

Ok, so I skip that error and get to the loading screen. I hear the music in the background, see the bar load and when they yell "fire", the game crashes to desktop. I've been mucking with this for about 4 hours now, which is pretty much the limit of my patience.  I've tried everything I could find on their support forum and I'm going to go insane if I hear the loading music one more time.  Jeezus H, I had less trouble getting Vanguard/Ultima 9/Outpost to run.   icon_evil

As it is, this is why I always purchase stuff online with a credit card...Matrix has an "all sales final" policy, but I'll be damned if I'm paying almost $70 (with shipping) for a game that won't work.  I've made my posts on their support forum to see if anyone has any bright ideas, but frankly my enthusiasm for the game has greatly waned after wasting most of my Saturday trying to get the damn thing to run.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 08:22:08 AM »

LOTRO - I ran out of steam on this one early.  I'm just burnt on MMOs and I haven't logged on in a month.

What level did you get to? I'm usually burnt out on MOGs, not had so much fun in one for a while. But i'm currently 18 - you may have gone to headier heights, still a wealth of stuff for me to look at.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: