http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 06:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audiosurf  (Read 1607 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:28:05 AM »

Now available on Steam.  It's kind of hard to explain, but you collect colored blocks while racing down a track, and the spacing of the blocks is set to the music you choose to play using your own music.  There's a demo, and the full game is only 10 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

This is a lot of fun!  Well worth $10 and is better than just about every XBLA game I have downloaded!

Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »

Yeah, strongly recomend this one. It has gotten me rummaging around for old music cd:s to take them on a test ride.  icon_biggrin

Mono is my favorite mode. Feels like your racing alongside the music. literary =P
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:02:21 AM »

I find this totally addictive.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:54:03 AM »

Quote from: DonD on February 19, 2008, 03:02:21 AM

I find this totally addictive.

Seriously, it's digital crack!  I keep telling myself, "1 more song... just 1 more song!"  10 songs later I'm still playing!

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:43:48 PM »

Love this game the graphics are mesmerizing.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »

I finally decided to try this and its fascinating-big problem though-it can't see about 90% of my music, they are .m4a files, most of them legally purchased from iTunes-and the game can't see them, even though it sees the folder. I heard this might be a demo issue, but I am a little wary of spending 10$ if its going to have an issue with my music for some reason. Anybody know about this?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:13 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2008, 01:35:09 AM

I finally decided to try this and its fascinating-big problem though-it can't see about 90% of my music, they are .m4a files, most of them legally purchased from iTunes-and the game can't see them, even though it sees the folder. I heard this might be a demo issue, but I am a little wary of spending 10$ if its going to have an issue with my music for some reason. Anybody know about this?

the game should see .m4a files no problem, it's .m4p ones that it can't play.  so far it's been able to see all my mp3 and mp4a's no problem.  The game did give my my first BSoD in god knows how long though, which didn't make me happy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 02:44:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2008, 02:31:13 AM

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2008, 01:35:09 AM

the game should see .m4a files no problem, it's .m4p ones that it can't play.  so far it's been able to see all my mp3 and mp4a's no problem.  The game did give my my first BSoD in god knows how long though, which didn't make me happy.

Ok I think its the .m4p ones-but seems like 90% of my itunes purchased music is that format? Why? WTF? Any workaround?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47:17 AM »

Those are fairplay encrypted - you're out of luck unless you, uh, convert them.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 03:19:07 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 21, 2008, 02:47:17 AM

Those are fairplay encrypted - you're out of luck unless you, uh, convert them.
Um does itunes do this just to piss me off, or is it like this for everyone? I guess I will be converting them then-this is honestly kinda bullshit-I paid for the music, why is Apple's DRM more intrusive than the "evil" Sony stuff?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 03:24:31 AM »

Sadly, I'm sure any DRM encrypted music will fail to work, not just Apple's.  Unless you hunt down various illicit utilities, the quickest workaround is to burn tracks to CD and then rip them back to disc.  Good times.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 04:03:34 AM »

Another reason not to buy music! Woohoo!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 04:11:33 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 21, 2008, 03:24:31 AM

Sadly, I'm sure any DRM encrypted music will fail to work, not just Apple's.  Unless you hunt down various illicit utilities, the quickest workaround is to burn tracks to CD and then rip them back to disc.  Good times.

Yikes thats a fair bit of work...might still do it though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 21, 2008, 04:03:34 AM

Another reason not to buy music! Woohoo!

Exactly.

Or if you buy music, do it via something like Amazon.com, which doesn't encrypt the bloody thing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »

Have the same problem as the rest of you. Tracked down the software I've used in the past to rip the DRM from iTunes. It conceivably works to version 7.6.0.29, I can't verify that as I'm sticking with 7.5 for a while. Allows you to convert to m4a or mp3. The biggest drawbacks are that you have to be connected and it rips the tracks in real time, but it works so I guess that's the price you pay. I'm sure anyone can find this or similar software if they do a quick search and I would post a link but it would probably violate the TOS. So, if anyone is interested, and can't find something that works, feel free to PM me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »

Technically you could always plug your speaker cables into your line-in jack and just rerecord what you're listening to. Yeah, it's sneaky, but it'll work. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 22, 2008, 02:09:24 PM

Technically you could always plug your speaker cables into your line-in jack and just rerecord what you're listening to. Yeah, it's sneaky, but it'll work. biggrin

You don't even need to do that. Just set your 'record source' to 'stereo mix' and then use your favorite recording software to record in real-time.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 07:08:02 AM »

All my files are in AAC.  Nothing can see those.  Frankly, I'm amazed my ipod can play them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 08:23:47 AM »

I thought it was just a case of writing to a CD and then importing them back. A tad of a hassle but shouldn't take that long.

Also enjoying this game smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 24, 2008, 08:23:47 AM

I thought it was just a case of writing to a CD and then importing them back. A tad of a hassle but shouldn't take that long.

Also enjoying this game smile

Well I tried this-actually I burned them to a DVD so I could fit more on one disc (and I don't have any CD-Rs) then copied a few back to disc as a test...guess what? They remained in the same damn file format!! Can someone please explain this to me as if I don't know what I am doing (because clearly I don't) and I would like to give this indie dev my money so I can surf my audio smile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 07:13:24 PM »

In itunes, create a playlist. Then choose the tracks you want and assign them to that playlist. Go into the playlist and do burn cd.

That's the easy part. However i'm finding itunes is not burning it with the cdtext info) so whilst I can play against the tunes I can't then post the scores in the high scores frown

Anyone know how to burn with cd text

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:40 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 21, 2008, 03:19:07 AM

why is Apple's DRM more intrusive than the "evil" Sony stuff?

At its absolute worst, Apple's DRM is the land of fucking milk and honey compared to the Sony rootkit fiasco.

Well I tried this-actually I burned them to a DVD so I could fit more on one disc (and I don't have any CD-Rs) then copied a few back to disc as a test...guess what? They remained in the same damn file format!! Can someone please explain this to me as if I don't know what I am doing (because clearly I don't) and I would like to give this indie dev my money so I can surf my audio smile
You have to burn an audio CD, not a data CD, then rip them back off the CD to remove the DRM. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:53:53 PM by kathode » Logged
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 01:09:56 AM »

I just bought this last night, and had a chance to try it out before going to work this afternoon.  It's a great way to listen to music.  I like the mono mode because it's less "gamey" and more about just sitting back and enjoying the music.  Well worth the $10.

My main complaint is no FLAC support.  Never mind, it can use FLAC files although it's not mentioned on Steam as far as I can tell.  DRM is of course another problem, but thats DRMs problem not the games.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:14:50 AM by wonton » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: