http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana Impressies  (Read 2247 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005, 02:33:04 AM »

Yeah, I wrote "impressies"...and I think it's cute.

Well, I went to the gamestore, looked at the Riviera box then the Atelier Iris box and was SOLD after looking at the latter.  So I picked it up Tongue

Gotta pick my Mom up at the airport, but I plan on getting a lot of playtime with it tonight.  Impressions are coming (because you certainly didn't expect impressions this soon, especially the first post, did you?).

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:13:43 AM »

I bought Meteos today.

Hooray page 2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 06:20:32 AM »

So did my brother and holy lord, that game is FUN!

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 09:24:38 AM »

At the risk of breaking tradition, here are my impressions from about 45 minutes of playing -
The manual is thin - only 16 pages and black and white, but it looks like there will be in-game tutorials for everything, so it shouldn't matter.  The game looks beautiful, full of color and detail, and definitely more high-res looking than most 2D RPGs, such as Disgaea.  The voice acting is definitely solid, and the translation is looking good, too.  I haven't done much yet - a few battles, a few tutorials, and smashing half the town to smithereens to get mana slywink  If an old-school 2D RPG with a heavy dose of item creation sounds good to you, then it looks like the game will definitely fit the bill.  I can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

I also picked up Riviera, and was surprised I hadn't realized earlier that this is probably the first time in many years when two non-remake 2D RPGs were released on the same day.  I'll put up some impressions of Riviera tomorrow, as I haven't opened it yet.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 09:25:09 AM »

Played an hour and change tonight...

Ew.

Ew.  Ewwwwww, ew, ew, ew.

I am not enjoying the game at all.  Firstly, the game system seems BROKEN.  The whole point is to get mana and use different kinds of mana via synthesis to create items and whatnot; however, for some reason that I don't understand, they made it so you can exit a stage and come back and VIOLA the items regenerate.  You can max everything out in a friggin' town!

The actual battles themselves...they have a weird "flow."  Hard to describe, but things aren't smooooooth, just weird transitions, etc.  I read the word "strategy" on the back of the box, and I couldn't sense how that would come into play if I were to synthesize an endless amount of mana items.

The graphics are okay...but when the screen scrolls, it isn't smooth all the time, a tad choppy, which kind of gives me a headache.  The hand-drawn art is pretty, like most other games of this ilk, but aiyeeee, I need an advil.

Special graphical attention needs to be addressed to the world map.  I don't really expect a whizbang, knock-your-socks-off, beautiful world map for this sort of game.  Whatever, you know.  But the world map is 3d and I swear to you, it looks like NIS got a group of high-school students to make the world map a homework assignment..  It is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen in my life.

The animation is decent.  There's a few more frames thrown into the animation in the battle...so-so.

Control seems...a tad wonky.  The analog stick works like in games like Disgaea and Phantom Brave, that's okay.  Jumping is odd as is getting the mana from items.  Not very responsive, it seems like.

Voice-acting is all over the place.  Klein's actor is okay, but his little helper guy...I want to punch him in his fucking mouth.  So annoying.

So that about wraps it up, I guess.  I'm not going to let it die and trade it in/ebay it or whatever, I'll be giving it another shot, but eek, it had better get really good really fast.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 11:38:48 AM »

Hmmm, I was debating between this or Forza.  I think I'll go with Forza and wait for a price drop on this one.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 02:39:29 PM »

This is published by NIS and not Atlus, right?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 02:44:11 PM »

Yes, it's published by NIS, as they're self-publishing now.

And yes.  Meteos freaking ROCKS.
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 06:13:14 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Hmmm, I was debating between this or Forza.  I think I'll go with Forza and wait for a price drop on this one.

Forza is an incredible game, go for it!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 01:29:15 AM »

NIS-published games have yet to go rare.  I'll wait on a price drop/sale.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 03:32:25 AM »

I agree with TheMissingLink. This game is supremely mediocre and I would recommend you all wait until it hits $30 or less. After 4 hours of gameplay I'm finding it difficult to remain enthusiastic.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 09:28:46 AM »

I'm really enjoying it.  I love the hand-drawn art style, and I'm having fun collecting everything I can find.  It looks like there are a lot of new abilities you gain during the game that will enable you to get items that are out of reach at the beginning.  It's definitely not a game for everyone, but the combination of traditional RPG and the item synthesis is a perfect fit for what I like in games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 02:33:25 PM »

Well, I wasn't crazy about Forza (racing games in which you're completely screwed if you make one tiny mistake aren't my idea of fun.  Burnout-style games are more my type.), so I'm going to swap it for Altilier Iris this afternoon.  Should have some impressions tonight.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 05:45:58 AM »

Got through a couple hours today, and I am definately less than impressed. While I certainly dig the art style (in towns, not the world map), the been- there-done-that storyline and bland battle system are really making it tough to keep playing. The synthesis aspect is interesting, but I don't know that it will be enough to keep it going. I'll give it a couple more hours and hopefully it grabs me, but I'm not holding out much hope at this point.

RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 12:31:47 AM »

<Pointing finger accusingly> I WARNED you Gratch, but noooooooooo....you wouldn't listen.  Now you're a chump like the rest of us.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »

Quote from: "RamPanther"
<Pointing finger accusingly> I WARNED you Gratch, but noooooooooo....you wouldn't listen.  Now you're a chump like the rest of us.

Yeah, yeah...I know.  At least they gave me $30 trade-in credit for it.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 01:00:18 PM »

It took me a couple months of chipping away an hour here, an hour there, but I finally beat it last night!  My final thoughts about the game are mixed.  

Graphics were fantastic for a 2D game like AI.  Very colorful and detailed.  I was playing on a 43" TV and I was surprised how bright and crisp everything looked.  The music was also excellent.  I thought I would have gotten sick of some of the tunes by the end, but they never became annoying.  

Gameplay was a mixed bag.  The synthesizing was a fun concept, but the system didn't feel as refined as it should have been.  Fortunately it was good enough that it didn't become too cumbersome.  Those feelings mirror pretty much every aspect of the game.   Combat was on the bland side of things, even with combat skill upgrades.  It would have been a benefit to have some kind of variety to make it a bit more interesting.  The game does become better about midway through once more mana skills and synthesizable items become available, but at the beginning there's not a whole lot.  

There are a ton of items to collect.  Most of these can then be combined with other items to make new items.  Probably half my playing time was spent doing this.

The storyline was mediocre and the main villain was forgettable.  Some of the dialogue was genuinely funny, mainly the exchange between one of the females in my group and a certain shopkeeper.    

Overall, I found it to hover a little above the average mark.  It's not a bad game and has lots of things to do, but compared to some other RPGs out there, it feels lacking in some areas.  I give it a 6.5 on a 10 scale.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 01:54:34 PM »

I'm only a couple of hours into it but I'm really enjoying the style of the game (both artwork and the attitude). I'm even enjoying the characters as well plus the item collection/creation system is a big draw for me.

I hope I don't suffer the same mid game interest drop as others have reported here, but I can say that I'm really happy with the game at this time.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: