http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATARI 2600 Adventure was the Beginning  (Read 1410 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:50:40 PM »

Of my free roaming addiction.

In case you young'ins never played it... IT was an Atari 2600 game, where you roamed around killing dragons, and crap like that.. all with the amazing graphics.... You think GTA:SA has dated graphics? Lets not forget...

The GTA series made me realize what I love about games. Adventure was the FIRST game that really allowed you to FREE ROAM and do things at your own pace. (I still play Adventure on Stella when I get nostagic) you werent on a linear path and there was the freedom of doing what you want at your own pace.

Ok the game is primitive now, but it was the beginnings.

I have now played San Andreas for HOURS and I have only completed 2 or three missions. ITs the fully realized world that I love so much, its not the violence, or the chaos, rather , it is the feeling of freedom, I thought that FABLE would have this, and to me it felt too linear. ZELDA for the N64 had this, I could spend time like a moron fishing, it was fun, it was no pressure and it totally made it a more "REAL" experience if that is possible.

Digital Sandboxes is ultimately what I like to play, I realized this with my Rollercoaster Tycoon addiction, I had to remove it off my computers at work because it was dangerous (I look up its 7pm biggrin)

I seem to cheat in games like the Sims to get money and just build and play. but its a dangerous line to walk, TRUE CRIME tried to duplicate the GTA magic, but ultimately felt empty. The blocks felt the same, there was not much in the way of exploration, and the story was goofy.

I could spend 4 hours sniping on a roof top in Vice City, dropping grenades down and shooting down helicopters. Gaming Bliss.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 07:25:29 PM »

Adventure is definitely one of the all time best games, ever. I still keep an emulator around to play it from time to time. I remember someone on GG posted a link to a flash version a while back.

Adventure also has the distinction of being the first video game with an easter egg in it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »

I can actually finish the game at the hardest level WITH the easter egg in a few minutes... it seemed so difficult then.. LOL

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 02:59:10 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I can actually finish the game at the hardest level WITH the easter egg in a few minutes... it seemed so difficult then.. LOL

My friends and I used to use stopwatches for exactly this purpose!  There had to be at least two people there to see you do it, though.  Two official witnesses. smile

We also used to take polaroids of high scores on the TV to show to each other.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 03:27:54 PM »

All hail the greatness that was Adventure.  I used to just play it over and over on that setting where it generated the random placement of the items.  It is amazing what used to capture our attentions back then.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 03:46:55 PM »

I remember the dragons that looked like chickens or seahorses or anything but dragons.  Yet they scared the crap outta me.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 04:01:20 PM »

Didn't you hate that damned bat? I always made it a goal to trap it in a castle if possible.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 05:06:41 PM »

That bat sucked.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 05:34:29 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I remember the dragons that looked like chickens or seahorses or anything but dragons.  Yet they scared the crap outta me.

My vote goes for Seahorses, that is what they always looked like to me
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 05:44:53 PM »

But the bat *loves* you!!!

The flash version: http://www.simmphonic.com/programming/flash.htm#

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 06:41:06 PM »

This was a great game.  I played it a ton.  The bat annoyed the hell out of me, and yeah I thought the dragon looked like a seahorse too.

olaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: