http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:23:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed Reviews  (Read 38041 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 03, 2007, 04:25:43 PM

Also, a video game has rarely made me hate anything more than the crazy people and beggar girls.  Ubi Montreal way overdid it with them in some sections of the game.   

you get an achievement for throwing so many of them away from you  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »

I figure I should have earned it; thus far I have not. I have 1 more (i) before completing hit #8 (Acre, I did the second one first). I think the use of the street beggars, drunks and crazies are used as artificial barriers to a game in which you would otherwise have complete control.

Some people mention problems with timers; I don't mind them when done well. I think you need to be GOOD at the game to be comfortable with it, and I'm pretty good. I found that pickpocketting has often gotten me into streetfights though... smile

I'll be writing up a review on this game shortly, in which I shall lay down the criticisms on an otherwise EXCELLENT game.

I mean, Prince of Persia + Splinter Cell meets GTA? How can one go wrong? slywink
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:45:48 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2007, 04:51:46 AM »

What in the hell were they thinking with the final section of this game?  I'm seriously in awe of how unfun this is and how much it sucks?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2007, 05:26:34 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 04, 2007, 04:51:46 AM

What in the hell were they thinking with the final section of this game?  I'm seriously in awe of how unfun this is and how much it sucks?

You are not alone.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2007, 06:27:34 AM »

the last portions show a definite payoff if you've been doing alot of combat during the rest of the game.  I was concerned that alot of people were saying it was really difficult, but I seemed to breeze right through it.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 04, 2007, 06:32:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 04, 2007, 06:27:34 AM

the last portions show a definite payoff if you've been doing alot of combat during the rest of the game.  I was concerned that alot of people were saying it was really difficult, but I seemed to breeze right through it.

I don't know- I did a fair amount of combat and it was never, ever difficult in the game up until literally the last portion.  Even then it's not exactly difficult but more of an endurance test- the game puts waves and waves of enemies at you like they feel like they need to artificially extend things.  Plus, the combat, by it's nature of guarding and counters, tends to be slow paced to begin with and isn't really designed for fighting waves of enemies. 

Top it off with the fact that it's basically betraying the game's core mechanic of at least having the option to be somewhat stealthy and the result is literally the least fun I've had in a game all year. Just a flat out awful final section.  For anyone who said they would drop a half point or a full point from their score due to the end section- I agree completely. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: December 04, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »

i just wish that some of them would run away during that sequence.  after skewering a dozen of their friends right before their eyes, you would think one or two would run for the hills.

i only really had a problem with the end fights, past the lead up to #9. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 04, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 04, 2007, 10:11:27 PM

i just wish that some of them would run away during that sequence.  after skewering a dozen of their friends right before their eyes, you would think one or two would run for the hills.

I haven't gotten to the end, but I have noticed that in all the big fights that I have been in, the last guy tries to run away.  I have to run after him and stab stab!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 04, 2007, 10:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 04, 2007, 06:32:22 AM

Top it off with the fact that it's basically betraying the game's core mechanic of at least having the option to be somewhat stealthy and the result is literally the least fun I've had in a game all year. Just a flat out awful final section.  For anyone who said they would drop a half point or a full point from their score due to the end section- I agree completely. 

I completely agree.  What the hell happened to being "INVISIBLE" as they put it???  It seemed to me that they just added that shit there to extend the end of the game or to make it seem that you were doing something different than you had been the past X hours that you'd been playing.  You know what, Ubisoft?  What would have been really fucking cool???  To sneak into the campground at night, stealth-killing guards, killing your mark and sneaking back out.  Or AT LEAST, given me the option to do that.  Forcing you to fight wave after wave of inept guards what just a cheap cop-out.

That being said, I still enjoyed playing through the game itself.  I just think that they could have accomplished this and so much more without the stupid sci-fi twist.  That was pretty gay.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 04, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 04, 2007, 10:27:47 PM

Quote from: Caine on December 04, 2007, 10:11:27 PM

I haven't gotten to the end, but I have noticed that in all the big fights that I have been in, the last guy tries to run away.  I have to run after him and stab stab!

I loved doing that- they'd run, I'd chase and do a high profile kill on them.  Poor fools just died tired.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2007, 06:58:23 PM »

Holy Crap! Joystiq (from Game Daily) says Ubi has announced 2.5 million copies of AC have been sold!!!! I guess we can count on the much sought after sequel!

Jade Raymond == Massive Sales smile
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:00:11 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 13, 2007, 07:48:12 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 13, 2007, 06:58:23 PM

Holy Crap! Joystiq (from Game Daily) says Ubi has announced 2.5 million copies of AC have been sold!!!! I guess we can count on the much sought after sequel!

Jade Raymond == Massive Sales engorgements. smile

FTFY
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 13, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »

Jade Raymond is only known in niche gaming message boards, I wouldn't even have known who she was if you guys didn't spaz out over her  slywink I'm not surprised at all that AC is doing so well, it's been one of the most anticipated games since it was announced and shown at E3 a few years ago.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:27:07 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 13, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »

Assassin's Creed sold that much thanks to the terrific advertising.

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 13, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 13, 2007, 07:54:52 PM

Jade Raymond is only known in niche gaming message boards, I wouldn't even have known who she was if you guys didn't spaz out over her  slywink I'm not surprised at all that AC is doing so well, it's been one of the most anticipated games since it was announced and shown at E3 a few years ago.

Who says I was walking about popularity? I was referring to her stellar skills as a game producer.

-John

depward

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 13, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 13, 2007, 08:18:27 PM

Assassin's Creed sold that much thanks to the terrific advertising.

Totally agree.  Not only were there a fair amount of commercials... but the commercials were BAD ASS!  My boss, who has a 360 but only plays guitar hero on it, asked me about Assassin's Creed because he saw the commercial and thought it looked killer.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 13, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »

The ads were quite badass. How could they not be? They had the House theme in them!!!  thumbsup

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 13, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »

can I get a w00d?

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 14, 2007, 12:47:16 AM »

Quote from: JCC on December 13, 2007, 09:01:42 PM

The ads were quite badass. How could they not be? They had the House theme in them!!!  thumbsup

Yeah it did!!! It fit quite well and even my wife (who's not into violent games) said "that's badass"

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2007, 03:43:41 AM »

Whats the name of the theme song if you all dont mind?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 14, 2007, 03:54:19 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 14, 2007, 03:43:41 AM

'Teardrop' by the group Massive Attack.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 14, 2007, 04:05:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 03:54:19 AM

Quote from: Calvin on December 14, 2007, 03:43:41 AM

'Teardrop' by the group Massive Attack.

Thanks bro.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 14, 2007, 06:50:39 AM »

I still need to finish this game.  It got lost in the holiday rush for me.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: December 14, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »

The last mission drew me in bigtime.

I anticipate the sequel.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 14, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 14, 2007, 02:18:08 PM

I anticipate the sequel.
Spoiler for MY BAD :):
Really?  The last mission almost killed the game for me.  It was so contradictory from everything the game was hyped to be.  You were constantly out of cover and having to fight wave after wave of guards.  That's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 05:23:26 PM by rickfc » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: December 14, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »

Nice spoiler alert. Tongue

Spoiler for Why I think rickfc's opinion is WRONG:
slywink
You're a killer who is good at hiding. In this case it'd be pretty damned hard hiding at a dead run. You're trying to prevent further war just as everyone else is; sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. As it is, Altair is a very capable fighter and I had no problems with the running and fighting portion... it was not contrary to the feeling of being in a panic situation where time is a bigger factor than hiding. Tongue

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 14, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 14, 2007, 05:05:31 PM

Nice spoiler alert. Tongue

Spoiler for Why I think rickfc's opinion is WRONG:
slywink
You're a killer who is good at hiding. In this case it'd be pretty damned hard hiding at a dead run. You're trying to prevent further war just as everyone else is; sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. As it is, Altair is a very capable fighter and I had no problems with the running and fighting portion... it was not contrary to the feeling of being in a panic situation where time is a bigger factor than hiding. Tongue

Spoiler for nuh uh, Purge is wrong:
He's a big fat doodie-head!
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2007, 06:16:29 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on December 14, 2007, 04:30:41 PM

I anticipate the sequel.
Spoiler for MY BAD :):
Really?  The last mission almost killed the game for me.  It was so contradictory from everything the game was hyped to be.  You were constantly out of cover and having to fight wave after wave of guards.  That's just my opinion.

The waves of guards didn't bother me nearly as much as...

Spoiler for Final fight spoiler!:
...fighting the last boss with zero health. One hit and you were dead, over and over again. I thought it was ridiculous until I finally figured out that hitting him with the throwing knives gave you health (or something like that).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: December 14, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
You actually have to wait a few seconds to engage before getting your health back. So either don't get hit, or yes, use those throwing knives and play defensively for a bit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 14, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
yeah, just don't get hit you pussies

Spoiler for Hiden:
Tongue

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 15, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »

i've seen a few comments about the final mission of AC being a disappointment...i'm going after the final assassination now and just wish i could experience the end of the game.  apparently the only fun i get to have now is experiencing an unending series of bugs that prevent me from finishing the game.  i've reached the Arsuf area, but every time i follow the path toward my target i encounter a bug of some kind...my own personal doppelganger, falling through the ground into the great beyond, cutscenes that fail to trigger...until i figure out some kind of fix (maybe clearing the game's cache?), it's not possible for me to finish the game.  falling through the ground is only an occassional occurrence and not consistent in where it happens, but combine that with the doppelganger that shows up at exactly the same point every time and there's no way to progress.  the one time i actually made it near my target, i had my doppelganger in tow, none of the guards were responding to me, i locked onto the target, hit the assassinate button, and watched Altair kill his duplicate...i actually assassinated myself and the mission reloaded.  i've tried restarting the mission and even restarting the game with the same results...make it a short distance down the path and encounter a game-stopping bug. 

i'm about to go hunting on the official game and xbox.com forums for any suggestions, but my disappointment at this point is beyond words.  i've been loving every minute of Assassin's Creed and it's been an entirely bug-free experience until this point.  now, i'm prevented from seeing the end until i find a solution...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 16, 2007, 03:13:46 AM »

a quick update after my previous rant...

i visited the Ubisoft support site and found a solution to my problem that does the trick.  here's the info quoted from their website in case anyone else experiences the same problem...
Question
     I keep experiencing a glitch on the Arsuf level. In the very beginning I would start running then suddenly fall through the ground and die. When I respawn, there would be two Altairs. Sometimes, it would freeze shortly after. What is going on here?

Answer
We are currently looking into this problem and hope to have an official fix soon.
In the meantime, we have received reports from people who have found workarounds for this problem. The following is not guaranteed to work, but it has helped a lot of people.

Workaround 1:

1. Turn off the Xbox 360.
2. Disconnect everything from the USB-ports on the FRONT of the 360 (if applicable, network adapter on the back USB does not need to be disconnected).
3. Turn on the 360 and connect a controller (wired or wireless). Load a saved game in Jerusalem.
4. Quick travel from Jerusalem to Acre.
5. From Acre, go by horse to Arsuf.
6. Now, the game should work as intended.

Workaround 2:
1. Plug in a second controller into the system.
2. Go to the last zone with the horse (The same zone where you fall through the world with the horse and then the 2 Altairs appear)
3. Once you enter the zone, disconnect the second controller.
4. Play normally and the game will save after the mission.

by following the steps in Workaround 1, i was able to finish the game without any trouble...and i too am a little disappointed with the ending, although i do think it's a fantastic game overall.  i really didn't mind the repetitive nature of the gameplay because running around the cities and fighting off guards was so much fun.  by the later part of the game, i could whip through the information-gathering missions so quickly that it took no time at all to reach the next major assassination, and all of those were incredibly well done.  my biggest complaint is something i won't mention without spoiler tags though...

Spoiler for Hiden:
i really didn't mind that it became very combat-oriented at the end as the fighting system is something i really enjoyed throughout the game.  my dissatisfaction with the ending is that there really didn't give us one.  instead, we wind up with a Halo2-style 'ending' that does nothing more than set up a sequel.  that said, i'll probably be in line to pick up Assassin's Creed 2 on day one.  given how much i enjoyed this game, i'm anxious to see what kind of game they can turn out with some more time and feedback to refine the gameplay...definitely has the potential to be something great.

now, i think i'll take a little break from AC and focus on Mass Effect for a while.  i'll definitely be heading back into AC to do some more Templar killing and flag hunting though...gotta collect them all  ninja
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:51:31 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 16, 2007, 04:54:26 AM »

just finished the game,quite suprised at how big the game field was,what with all the cities(roofs and streets)and the kingdom that held them all together...didnt like the ending one bit

got quite a fair share of the achievements,dont think i will go back to collect/gather flags though

oh and i also fell through the floor at one point....funny actually,because as i fell through the floor,i got the achievement for fighting for ten minutes...when i did nothing of the sort,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: December 17, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »

I anticipate the sequel.

Purge, I agree. I loved the ending. Cant wait for the sequel.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: December 17, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on December 17, 2007, 01:16:40 PM

I anticipate the sequel.

You got an ending? You must have played a different game.  My wife even commented "Uh...where's the rest of the game?  Is there another disc?" 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 17, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 17, 2007, 03:19:42 PM

You got an ending? You must have played a different game.  My wife even commented "Uh...where's the rest of the game?  Is there another disc?" 

Agree completely. As soon as the cut scene for the final assassination mission starts, the game is nothing but a giant vacuum of suck. The 'ending' is very unsatisfying.

Still can't wait for the sequel!!  icon_twisted

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 17, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 17, 2007, 03:19:42 PM

Quote from: HankRaptor on December 17, 2007, 01:16:40 PM

I anticipate the sequel.

at least it doesn't pull a Halo 2 were it gears you up for a big fight and then ends.  In AC you know you have 9 assassinations, you off them then face your master, the company gets it's info and decides to go after the artifacts and keep you on ice in case they need you.  Granted they shouldn't have left you to wander around the office after you view all the hidden symbols, but the ending was kind of like the original Half Life.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:06 PM »

That is how you can go back into the thing and restart any part of the game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 17, 2007, 07:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 17, 2007, 07:35:06 PM

That is how you can go back into the thing and restart any part of the game.

yeah, but a level select menu could have worked just as well and probably caused less confusion.  but who knows, maybe they put in a time sensitive easter egg that will pop up in the office after a certain date....

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:12 PM »

I'm about 3-4 assassinations into the game, does anyone else find themselves constantly wrestling with the controls?

I'm enjoying the beautiful graphics and animation, but the core gameplay itself is stale. AC simply looks cooler than it really is it seems, killing targets isn't nearly as calculated and satisfying as the likes of Hitman and Splinter Cell. I don't think I'll be bothering to play the whole way through.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:38:27 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: