http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:38:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed Reviews  (Read 37604 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 18, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »

TML,

Spoiler for Hiden:
I did that fight with the hidden blade. It sounds weird, but get out the hidden blade and focus on countering. If you counter with the hidden blade.. it's generally a kill, period. It won't be on that guy, but it'll put him on the ground with an injury and you can just run toward him while he's down and finish him off.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 18, 2007, 09:07:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2007, 07:27:43 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on November 18, 2007, 05:26:30 PM

I love reading all of these good impressions, but I have an isue with Ubisoft. It seems that they are blackballing some reputable sites that have scored the game under 8. I know that other companies do this, but it seems more publicly known with this game.

I'll get some links when I get home, but it's going to keep me from buying this game until it's on clearance or used. I am also going to keep a bigger eye out for more reports about this crappy practice and adjust my purchases to support companies that don't pull advertisng money because one of their games gets a lower scoe than they think it deserves.

Is there anything other than the Surfer Girl blog post saying that? 

When Gabe at Penny Arcade confirmed that Ubisoft was going to pull their ad support when he and Tycho bashed POP 2, it all but confirmed it for me. The surfer girl thing was just icing on the cake.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 18, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »

I rented the PS3 version last night because Blockbuster was out of 360 copies.

Maybe it's just me, but I am seeing some serious framerate issues and general choppiness.  Especially in crowded areas and on horseback.

Is the 360 version better or should I keep playing on the PS3?

I like the game so far other than that.  Tom Chick described it as a cross between Prince of Persia and Crackdown.  I think that is a good comparison.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:16:32 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 18, 2007, 09:36:39 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 18, 2007, 09:07:53 PM

I love reading all of these good impressions, but I have an isue with Ubisoft. It seems that they are blackballing some reputable sites that have scored the game under 8. I know that other companies do this, but it seems more publicly known with this game.

I'll get some links when I get home, but it's going to keep me from buying this game until it's on clearance or used. I am also going to keep a bigger eye out for more reports about this crappy practice and adjust my purchases to support companies that don't pull advertisng money because one of their games gets a lower scoe than they think it deserves.

When Gabe at Penny Arcade confirmed that Ubisoft was going to pull their ad support when he and Tycho bashed POP 2, it all but confirmed it for me. The surfer girl thing was just icing on the cake.

Selective reading much? Gabe said that Ubi was pissed about the trashing of the game they were advertising and called them and emailed them about it. He never said they threatened to pull all their ad support, and he in fact said the following in conclusion:

Obviously they understood because we're still advertising their games but like I said this isn't the way other sites operate. I actually give Ubi a lot of credit for not just telling us to fuck off and buying more ads on IGN and Gamespy with the extra money.

Emphasis added-Gabe is not saying anything like what you are claiming.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 18, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »

PHEW, finished it.

Difficulty spiked, imo, but then again, I never focused on combat, and when the game throws a heavy dose of it towards the end, I was pretty unprepared biggrin  Took a few...quite a few tries.  In a couple of spots biggrin  Countering is your friend.

I love the core mechanic of the game.  I had no issues going to viewpoints to find the investigations.  I thought that was done well, and the investigations themselves were okay.  Pickpocketing is super easy.  The beating-the-speaker-up was easy (I didn't even wait for the person to go somewhere, after awhile.  I just beat them as soon as I could).  I LIKED the assassinations, and the flag captures.

NOTHING beat how seamless and wonderful it felt to jump from rooftop to rooftop.  And the cities weren't cookie-cutter.  And no matter what review says, all cities were different.  The "chase" sequences were cool.  And about how to escape (like, sitting on a bench between two people, etc) - if it wasn't like that, if the AI wasn't "dumb", the game would be brutally hard and it would sort of zap the fun out of running around, climbing up buildings, etc.

Combat worked just fine.  In fact, I prefer it to most other games.

Overall, it's a beautiful game that's driven by an intriguing narrative.  The core mechanics of the game are fun.  What the sequel needs is true realization of goals, a little more variety and maybe making the truly living city a little more interesting.  Allow us to join guilds within cities.  Give us secondary targets.  Spice it up a bit.

I enjoyed my time with the game, I'm not disappointed with the product whatsoever.  I would award it anywhere from 8.8-9.2.  Maybe on the lower-end of the spectrum because of how harsh the end of the game treated me slywink

I'll look back fondly on the game and it'll be in the top three of my games of this year.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 18, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 18, 2007, 09:45:34 PM

PHEW, finished it.

Difficulty spiked, imo, but then again, I never focused on combat, and when the game throws a heavy dose of it towards the end, I was pretty unprepared biggrin  Took a few...quite a few tries.  In a couple of spots biggrin  Countering is your friend.

I love the core mechanic of the game.  I had no issues going to viewpoints to find the investigations.  I thought that was done well, and the investigations themselves were okay.  Pickpocketing is super easy.  The beating-the-speaker-up was easy (I didn't even wait for the person to go somewhere, after awhile.  I just beat them as soon as I could).  I LIKED the assassinations, and the flag captures.

NOTHING beat how seamless and wonderful it felt to jump from rooftop to rooftop.  And the cities weren't cookie-cutter.  And no matter what review says, all cities were different.  The "chase" sequences were cool.  And about how to escape (like, sitting on a bench between two people, etc) - if it wasn't like that, if the AI wasn't "dumb", the game would be brutally hard and it would sort of zap the fun out of running around, climbing up buildings, etc.

Combat worked just fine.  In fact, I prefer it to most other games.

Overall, it's a beautiful game that's driven by an intriguing narrative.  The core mechanics of the game are fun.  What the sequel needs is true realization of goals, a little more variety and maybe making the truly living city a little more interesting.  Allow us to join guilds within cities.  Give us secondary targets.  Spice it up a bit.

I enjoyed my time with the game, I'm not disappointed with the product whatsoever.  I would award it anywhere from 8.8-9.2.  Maybe on the lower-end of the spectrum because of how harsh the end of the game treated me slywink

I'll look back fondly on the game and it'll be in the top three of my games of this year.
Really good impressions and I am glad you liked it so much after drinking the haterade on this one for so long, but this grabbed my attention:
I would award it anywhere from 8.8-9.2

I mean, really dude-you are a smart, critical gamer. Why in the world would you try to give us a review score with such absolutely silly IGN/GS numbers. How in the world do you quantify an 8.9? Sorry, it just made me laugh to read that and I wanted to fuss at you. 9.247475 for me!!.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 18, 2007, 10:26:29 PM »

9/10

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 18, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »

before i buy mass effect this friday for me,i maybe able to afford another game....this,or mario galaxy...i cant decide,both assassins creed and mario galaxy threads on here have great views on the games

help me people!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: November 18, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2007, 09:13:47 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I am seeing some serious framerate issues and general choppiness.  Especially in crowded areas and on horseback.

The 360 version does skip a bit, but it's generally pretty rare, or in places of VERY high population. Never saw much as far as glitches when it comes to horseback though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2007, 11:06:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 18, 2007, 10:56:29 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2007, 09:13:47 PM

The 360 version does skip a bit, but it's generally pretty rare, or in places of VERY high population. Never saw much as far as glitches when it comes to horseback though.

yeah, I rarely have framerate problems on the 360 versions.  in fact, only once have I noticed it...when I first got to Jerusalem after an all-night session, the FPS dropped way down.  I'm talking like 10-15 fps, so I was like wtf...but I rebooted the game, and everything went back to normal 30 fps again.  kinda like rebooting a computer game, lol

haven't had any framerate problems since
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 19, 2007, 12:01:15 AM »

What's weird is that my first trip to Jerusalem yielded a horrible framerate in the southern part of the poor district (I believe that was the first district).  However, when I came back, the framerate was just fine.  Weird.

I think I'm entirely done with reviews.  I mean, it's neat to read stuff about a game I'm interested in...but IGN called Assassin's Creed next-gen's first big disappointment, and that's plain ridiculous.  The game isn't for everyone, that's for sure.  But a disappointment?  Absolutely not.

I'm still thinking about the game, remembering brilliant moments I had.  The last "stage" I guess, was really memorable and a fantastic, epic ending. 

TheMissingLink on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: November 19, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »

I did find one serious glitch tonight.  I was running after a kill and fell right through the street into programming nowhere land.  I could look up and see the people walking in thin air above me but there was no way to get out of this state.  Had to quit and reload and redo the whole kill.  Better not be any more of that!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 19, 2007, 01:02:35 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2007, 09:36:39 PM

Selective reading much? Gabe said that Ubi was pissed about the trashing of the game they were advertising and called them and emailed them about it. He never said they threatened to pull all their ad support, and he in fact said the following in conclusion:

Obviously they understood because we're still advertising their games but like I said this isn't the way other sites operate. I actually give Ubi a lot of credit for not just telling us to fuck off and buying more ads on IGN and Gamespy with the extra money.

Sorry, I read into it too much, but the mere fact that they got angry phone calls from Ubisoft alone is ridiculous. There should NO quid pro quo. The way I read his comments, Ubisoft expected some love because they advertised on PA. Gabe thrashed their game, they got pissy, he explained PA's stance, and they understood, also helps that PA's ads actually do deliver results. It just shows that Ubisoft is willing to bully other sites, not all of them are as strong as PA or as willing to stand up for what they believe. So it still reinforces the fact that it looks like Ubisoft is using advertising to bully other websites for better reviews.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 19, 2007, 01:06:01 AM »

Didn't have that happen to me, I've heard about it, though.

This bug is just plain funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5n6kc1wyaDY

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 19, 2007, 01:26:23 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 19, 2007, 01:02:35 AM

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2007, 09:36:39 PM

Sorry, I read into it too much, but the mere fact that they got angry phone calls from Ubisoft alone is ridiculous. There should NO quid pro quo. The way I read his comments, Ubisoft expected some love because they advertised on PA. Gabe thrashed their game, they got pissy, he explained PA's stance, and they understood, also helps that PA's ads actually do deliver results. It just shows that Ubisoft is willing to bully other sites, not all of them are as strong as PA or as willing to stand up for what they believe. So it still reinforces the fact that it looks like Ubisoft is using advertising to bully other websites for better reviews.

I entirely agree with you that there truly should never be any pressure, influence, or untowards behavior from publishers and devs about reviews and review scores-I truly do, and this is from someone who reviewed games for almost 10 years. However, I think we both know its unfortunately naive to expect otherwise.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:38 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 19, 2007, 01:02:35 AM

I've heard numerous reports of nearly all of the major publishers doing things like this.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 19, 2007, 02:53:51 AM »

I just did the 4th Assassination and I have a question

Spoiler for Hiden:
This was the Merchant King.  I was all prepped to do a stealth kill and then he tries to kill all his guests and all hell breaks loose.  Can you not stealth-kill some targets?  Or did I just mess up?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:15 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 19, 2007, 02:53:51 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
This was the Merchant King.  I was all prepped to do a stealth kill and then he tries to kill all his guests and all hell breaks loose.  Can you not stealth-kill some targets?  Or did I just mess up?

Spoiler for Hiden:
That section is entirely planned. However, you can still stealth kill him as he wanders off to another part of the upper tower afterward.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 19, 2007, 03:50:15 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2007, 02:58:15 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 19, 2007, 02:53:51 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
That section is entirely planned. However, you can still stealth kill him as he wanders off to another part of the upper tower afterward.

That was the first real stealthy kill that I had.  It was possible on that one biggrin

That whole scene was pretty cool, too.

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 19, 2007, 04:50:04 AM »

I'm 7 kills in and yet to do a stealthy one. frown

I try and try, and I just can't seem to get close to them. I am a little pissed I couldn't do the William kill the way the demo video did. I don't have that "jump down and kill him" ability. I wonder if they removed it?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2007, 05:19:48 AM »

Regarding high viewpoints - man climbing to the top of that cathedral in Acre is something else huh?   thumbsup
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32:55 AM »

Yeah, one of the reasons Acre was my favorite city - simply breathtaking!

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2007, 06:56:52 AM »

man, screw those capture the flag missions.  half the time I end up missing one because they seem to blend in so well- I give them one try, and if I don't get it I move on.  so what if I don't get some achievement?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:13 AM »

I just randomly unlocked the Absolute Symbosis achievement, exactly how this post describes it (Note: I found this post after it happend to me when I was looking for more info on what this achievement means.)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assassinscreed/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-39604307&pid=930278

I am 3 blocks short of a full DNA bar as well.  Did that happen to anyone else?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:06:00 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2007, 08:22:09 AM »

I got it when I only had one bar on the second row. Didn't make much sense to me, but oh well.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 19, 2007, 05:19:48 AM

Regarding high viewpoints - man climbing to the top of that cathedral in Acre is something else huh?   thumbsup

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 19, 2007, 06:32:55 AM

Yeah, one of the reasons Acre was my favorite city - simply breathtaking!

I had one hell of a time trying to scale that thing! I just couldn't find a path to get to the upper roof and the base of the spire. Granted it was simple enough...I just couldn't find it. I likely spent 30 minutes trying.  saywhat

Yep, one hell of a view though.  nod
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2007, 06:56:52 AM

man, screw those capture the flag missions.  half the time I end up missing one because they seem to blend in so well- I give them one try, and if I don't get it I move on.  so what if I don't get some achievement?

I haven't been able to clear any of those either.  I'll typically clear everything else in an area, but will always skip those.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 19, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

I could do without the flag missions myself, though I have managed to finish them all after multiple tries. The key is to simply work out where they all are, and then work out the quickest route to obtaining all of them. This requires multiple attempts. I think I did one of them in only 2 attempts, and I was beyond thrilled. Usually it takes many more.

I've had one timed assassination mission, where I also couldn't ever break stealth (be detected by guards). Now THAT was annoying. It took over a dozen tries. The sad part was, I did it in about half the time when I finally completed it.

I could do without any timed sequences in any game, ever.

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 19, 2007, 04:50:04 AM

I don't have that "jump down and kill him" ability. I wonder if they removed it?

I killed a random archer guard by dropping down and then assassinating him. I just queued up the running assassinate move (LT, RT, and X) while dropping down, and as soon as my feet touched the ground, I jumped and offed the guy.

I haven't seen the demo movie in question though, so who knows.

And I finally pulled off another full-stealth kill with my 6th (technically the 7th) assassination. Dropped down from above while the guy was busy, crept up, and I made with the stabby stabby.

Random things you may not know - whenever you're doing a full chat sequence with somebody (either your boss or whenever you're talking to the assassination guild guys), you can push A and it'll cycle between a bunch of different camera angles. Plus you can flip camera angles whenever you get that noise thing when you assassinate your targets.

And as far as the flags go - they're always in a direct 'line' of sorts (at least so far for me). Find the one closest to you to start, then just look for the next one when you get it. They generally require some sort of acrobatics, but the line they want you to travel to get them all is pretty well defined.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »

I have to say this game does a great job of making you feel like a bad ass- there's nothing like taking down a group of guards quickly with your counterstrikes.  I have run across situations where it seems like the game is determined to damage me and won't recognize that I'm in the defensive stance against scrubs, resulting in me getting hit a bunch of times.  I've also had it recognize the counter outside of the defensive stance, which I didn't think was possible (I had just locked onto a target and hadn't hit the right trigger yet).  I'm also having a pain in the ass time using the throwing knives- I think I've only gotten them to work once and after that I've never been able to throw them (yes, I do have 5 in inventory after pickpocketing a thug) no matter how far I get from my target.

I finished my 3rd kill last night after returning the bad disc I got- no stealthy ones yet, although I'm pretty sure the first assignment in Jerusalem (the slave trader) is impossible to do silently.  Of course, if there's no witnesses then there's no one to tell you did it  icon_twisted

Because I can,
BiggerBoat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 19, 2007, 05:29:12 PM »

Gamefly sent me this one next week.

I'm having more fun with it than I've had with a long time. My son asked a friend who had the game about the early reviews, and the guy said: "Yeah, it's repetitive, but it's repetitively awesome." That's how I feel.

The level of detail in the cities is stunning. The combat is cinematic, fluid, deadly, and very fun. I love the pace of combat and how you are rewarded with thoughtful play. Timing your attacks and using the environment is important. In the space of one hour last night, I had sword fights on a narrow beam over the city, tossed guards over rooftop railings to their death seven stories below, tossed a guy down a flight of stairs right into three of his buddies who were running to join the fight, completed an awesome combo kill followed by a counter (which sent all of the remaining guards running in fear from my badassness) -- this stuff is just plain fun.

The guards are dumb as rocks of course, but there's a level of abstraction here we need to consider. Altair is meant to blend into the crowd and shadows, but as your avatar he's the visual focus. There have been times where the guards have certainly surprised me in their persistence. There's also the rather "gamey" pacing and goals, but everything is fun so far so I don't have any issues (except, perhaps, for the capture the flag challenges as others have noted). Saving citizens never gets boring for me.

The SF stuff I am somewhat ambivalent about. So far, it just seems like a "clever" way to justify the interface and save points, but mostly it's a series of cut scenes that leave me wanting to get back to the fun stuff. We'll see how it shapes up in terms of storyline.

I've encountered a couple of glitches. Last night I "fell through" a building and ended up trapped. It kind of reminded me of the clipping thing from the 2nd Elder Scrolls game, where you would fly around the dungeon after stepping through a wall (the only way to complete those damn dungeons slywink )

Speaking of RPG's, I would love to see a western-style RPG take some lessons from Assassin's Creed. Imagine Oblivion cities with the scope and sense of life in AC, for example. Most of the population could be incidental, but it would still feel much more alive and interesting. Also, I'd like to see an RPG adopt the "one hit kill" style combat in AC rather than the approach of standing there and thumping a guy repeatedly with a sword until his hit points drop to zero.

This one started as a rental, but at this point it will probably turn into a purchase so I have time to play it through again. I already feel myself compelled to go back to the beginning since I've become more effective at fighting

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 19, 2007, 05:41:29 PM »

Is anyone else having a ton of fun chasing down the guards as they run away and doing High Profile assassinations on them?  I find myself cackling with glee at the futility of their fleeing- they just die tired  icon_twisted

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2007, 06:04:44 PM »

Quote from: BiggerBoat on November 19, 2007, 05:29:12 PM

Please share your time travel powers with the rest of us! smile

-John

BiggerBoat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 19, 2007, 06:04:44 PM

Quote from: BiggerBoat on November 19, 2007, 05:29:12 PM

Please share your time travel powers with the rest of us! smile

I'll let you know last year.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 19, 2007, 03:08:50 PM

Random things you may not know - whenever you're doing a full chat sequence with somebody (either your boss or whenever you're talking to the assassination guild guys), you can push A and it'll cycle between a bunch of different camera angles. Plus you can flip camera angles whenever you get that noise thing when you assassinate your targets.

when you're watching a major cutscene and see the 'memory glitch' (electronic glitch with the sound effect), you can hit any button to switch to a different (and usually much cooler) camera angle...but you have to pay attention and do it quickly for it to work.  like Destructor mentioned, the most common place to see these is in the scenes right after a major assassination....trigger the memory glitch and you'll see the victim speaking in as if they were still alive rather than dying in your arms.  there's actually a 20-point achievement that you can earn by recognizing and triggering at least 85% of the memory glitches in the game.  i try to trigger all of them that i can because they always give a much neater camera angle for watching the scenes icon_cool

Quote from: Destructor
And as far as the flags go - they're always in a direct 'line' of sorts (at least so far for me). Find the one closest to you to start, then just look for the next one when you get it. They generally require some sort of acrobatics, but the line they want you to travel to get them all is pretty well defined.

exactly...a quick glance at the compass should give you an idea of where the path of flags starts, and you can run through all of them pretty easily.  i've done quite a few now and they've all been spread in a loop that starts and ends near the guy who triggers the mission.  all you have to do is to pick up the one closest to where you start first, then free-run to each one in order.  they're placed in such a way that you can quickly jump from one to the next almost without slowing down, and you'll pick up the last one right near the start/finish point.  as long as you go in order and don't miss too many jumps, you can actually clear at least the early ones with quite of time to spare.  i've done three or four of them now and can regularly finish with a minute or more left on the timer just by paying attention to the path rather than just running randomly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:29:33 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2007, 12:49:01 AM »

As far as the jumping/dropping from above assassinations go, I did one by total accident during one of the later missions. It's all about being locked onto your target before you drop down nearby.

However, I did find out this interesting tidbit from elsewhere:

The trick is that if you want to assassinate someone from above, you have to be hanging from a ledge where your feet aren't just dangling. Then you just lock onto your target and hit x. I usually start all my citizen saving fights that way.

And I finished the game. Absolutely fantastic title that just begs for a sequel. A big congrats to Ubisoft for making a new IP that people not only want to play, but definitely deserves a sequel.

EDIT: And I forgot to add - you can fight with not only the sword, but the throwing knives as well as the assassination stabby thing. The knives you whip out the short blade on your back, and throw knives against anything distant (normally with 1-hit kills, too), and the stabby thing you can only counter with (with a very small window of opportunity), but it's pretty much a guaranteed kill when you do it.

And yes, each weapon has their own set of counter kill animations. Some of them are just BRUTAL.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:57:16 AM by Destructor » Logged

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 20, 2007, 01:14:51 AM »

I all but abandoned the sword once I could counter since it rarely results in a kill. Of course now my short knives don't seem to kill as much either later in the game. I'll have to try fighting with the "sleeve" knife and see how that goes.

-John

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 20, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »

Yeah, and there's another thing - all these new IP's coming out recently is really refreshing!  Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc.

You won't see my complaining about an Assassin's Creed 2, though biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: November 20, 2007, 02:47:45 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 20, 2007, 01:14:51 AM

I all but abandoned the sword once I could counter since it rarely results in a kill. Of course now my short knives don't seem to kill as much either later in the game. I'll have to try fighting with the "sleeve" knife and see how that goes.

Another thing I read about counters - supposedly, if you do a counter where all you do is push back your opponent, you're supposed to be able to hit the attack button and you'll instead switch to a counter where you run the guy through.

As I've finished the game, I don't know if that's true or not.

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 20, 2007, 02:50:17 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2007, 02:47:45 AM

Quote from: JCC on November 20, 2007, 01:14:51 AM

Another thing I read about counters - supposedly, if you do a counter where all you do is push back your opponent, you're supposed to be able to hit the attack button and you'll instead switch to a counter where you run the guy through.

As I've finished the game, I don't know if that's true or not.

It is, and it's highly satisfying.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: