http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 02:07:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed Reviews  (Read 38118 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2007, 01:47:39 PM

The Game Trailers 9.1 makes me pretty optimistic.  I would say that Game Trailers has some of the best reviews going right now. 

Agreed. They tend to do an excellent job going over the game, showing off the game in HD, and talking about the positives and negatives about the game. Generally I ignore the score at the end (or at least find it unnecessary), as the review says everything that needs to be known about the title.

And stop posting so quickly, all of you! It took me 3 post attempts to get past the 'somebody has posted' message!  icon_lol

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 13, 2007, 07:14:04 PM

IGN Video Review

No score, but they do call it "one of the 5 biggest disappointments in gaming". They recommend a rental.

It may be completely accurate, but that was a horrible review.  Sounds like it was being read by a bored 16-year-old.

"So, Assassin's Creed is, uh, Ubisoft's big title.  And you get to, like, play an assassin and you can kill anyone you want in any city.  And, you know, it's really dissapointing"

Honestly IGN, at least try to make it sound somewhat professional.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »

Here's IGN's written review. They give it a 7.7 (good). Can a game that's good still be a top 5 disappointment?

AHHH! Beware the 2nd take. It's a little too spoilerific.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:05:38 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2007, 08:09:01 PM »

i guess they were expecting an 11. 

so long ce edition.  at least at $40, i'll be able to get most of that by resell/trade.  i still want to play this, but i won't be hanging on if the bottom falls out too soon. 

damnit.  first we get goty scores, and now average-at-best.  it really makes the high scoring websites look dubious.  nevermind the spoiler bs, i want accurate and fair opinions.  don't sell me a lemon with frosting and call it key lime pie. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

Eurogamer gave it a 7/10
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 13, 2007, 08:00:42 PM

Can a game that's good still be a top 5 disappointment?

Sure.

Disappointments are based on what was expected from 'it', not what 'it' actually is in the end.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »

With Ubisoft's experience I don't see how this game could possibly turn out any less great than the last Hitman game, which was excellent. I think the difference between Hitman and AC is that AC has been so heavily hyped. If it wasn't for Mass Effect, we wouldn't be talking about anything besides AC.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 13, 2007, 08:09:01 PM

it really makes the high scoring websites look dubious.  .....i want accurate and fair opinion

Aye...this is why I tend to check out the lowest scored reviews first, then the upper scores. If the complaints made in the low ones are not of concern to me, and the higher scores aren't glowing 'just because'....I'll go with it.

Also, I'm always very suspect of very high scores...especially 10 out of 10s. I'm sorry, but I've never come across the perfect game, some are damn good...but there is always something that could be improved upon.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 13, 2007, 08:11:54 PM

With Ubisoft's experience I don't see how this game could possibly turn out any less great than the last Hitman game, which was excellent.

Ubi puts out a lot of crap though.  Lots of great stuff as well (which makes them probably my favorite of the biggies like Activision, EA, Atari, THQ, etc) too. 

Still, I haven't read anything in these reviews to turn me off of the game.  It's still a definite buy for me.  Don't know if I will get itl this week or not, but that has more to do with it being the one of the big three for me this week that isn't getting a major sale in my neck of the woods (the others being Mario and Crysis).  Strangely enough, despite the reviews, if you put AC, Mario, and Crysis in front of me right now, AC is probably the one I would play first.  But that's more of a reflection of what I'm in the mood for. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 13, 2007, 08:15:46 PM

Also, I'm always very suspect of very high scores...especially 10 out of 10s. I'm sorry, but I've never come across the perfect game, some are damn good...but there is always something that could be improved upon.

This is probably deserving of it's own thread, but most gaming journalists would tell you that a 10/10 isn't an indication of perfection but an indication that they give it their highest recommendation. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2007, 08:23:21 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 13, 2007, 08:11:44 PM

Quote from: JCC on November 13, 2007, 08:00:42 PM

Can a game that's good still be a top 5 disappointment?

Sure.

Disappointments are based on what was expected from 'it', not what 'it' actually is in the end.

Disappointment? Sure. But TOP 5 disappointment in the history of video games? I don't think so.

-John

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 13, 2007, 08:23:21 PM

Disappointment? Sure. But TOP 5 disappointment in the history of video games? I don't think so.

If the expectations are high enough, and the disparity large enough in the end.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »

I am quite shocked to come into this thread and see that the bigger sites (and the ones that I pay more attention to) have given AC some average to good reviews. It honestly is making me pause-I was going to rush out and buy the game and am now seriously considering just renting it. That always sucks when you are excited for something and then get a bit brought down to earth, but who knows.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »

It is out today right? All of the major sites say it comes out today, the 13th, but all the stores i've rang up don't have it.

Why has fate forsaken me!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2007, 08:32:37 PM »

CSL, I think today is the ship date, meaning it is actually out tomorrow.

-John

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2007, 08:32:44 PM »

GamePro: 5/5
Game Informer: 9.5/10
GameTrailers: 9.1
Team Xbox: 7.9/10
IGN: 7.7/10 (the PS3 version scored a 7.5)
1up: 7/10
GameSpy: 3.5/5

So you have glowing reviews...and "good" (1up says 7-8.5 is "good", IGN has the score then "good" written) reviews.

Those who have watched the GameTrailers review cite that they are actually quite negative...that they were surprised with a 9.1 score.  I think that the overall presentation, badass-ness, and CREATIVITY (which is big nowadays) helped with that score.

Nothing scares me away.  Still eager to play the game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2007, 08:36:45 PM »

After reading IGN's review I've taken the game off my GF queue. If your gonna release your game in time for the holiday season, you better damn well come with your A game. There's just too many better alternatives to invest my time in.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2007, 08:42:35 PM »

I don't know...I was going to use that $25 GC from that I got from buying Super Mario Galaxy on Assassin's Creed.  I may hold off on it and rent it over the weekend now.  It just looks way too awesome to pass up on.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »

Paid up and excited, but can't get it until tomorrow.  Oh well, still have lots of Call of Duty and VF5 to go.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2007, 07:29:34 PM

Quote from: KePoW on November 13, 2007, 07:27:35 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2007, 07:23:09 PM

Quote from: Booner on November 13, 2007, 07:17:36 PM

Well, I'm not trying to be discouraging, but the latest reviews seem to be panning out the score to a more believable average.

Evidently there was an embargo so that only reviews rated at 9+ were allowed to be posted before today. 

is that a joke?

Not a joke.  I haven't seen absolute confirmation but that's the scuttlebutt going around and it seems to be pretty accurate. 

I don't know how widespread it is in the game industry, but the movie industry does it all the time. 

I had no idea about that.  Friggin' unbelievable.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:41 PM »

9.0 at GameSpot

What. is. going. on?

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 09:40:09 PM »

From GameSpot: "PS3 owners are blessed with a slightly more solid frame rate."

IGN wrote (about the PS3 version): "The framerate is considerably worse, so much so that it begins to affect gameplay in the later levels."

What the hell?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2007, 09:41:39 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 13, 2007, 09:40:09 PM

IGN wrote (about the PS3 version): "The framerate is considerably worse, so much so that it begins to affect gameplay in the later levels."

What the hell?

LOL

Ok, this is hilarious.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 09:49:46 PM »

These reviews have only helped to confuse me even more.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »

Help us Gaming Trend.  You're our only hope!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2007, 09:52:26 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 13, 2007, 09:40:09 PM

What the hell?

I think that, at this point, the only person that you're (meaning all of us) are going to be able to trust is yourself.  Seriously.  This is a bunch of BS.  I can understand a little disparity between reviews, as well as some that either love the game and those who hate it.  But the completely contradicting reviews are just f'ed up.   mad
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2007, 09:52:51 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 13, 2007, 09:50:50 PM

Help us Gaming Trend.  You're our only hope!

Yeah, what gives?  smile
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »

The money flows more heavily towards Gamespot than IGN this time I guess.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »

good lord, it's like the keystone cops of reviewing. 

i usually trust gamespot more than ign, but maybe it's time to rethink that. 

seriously, ron, did you guys get a review copy? 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 13, 2007, 09:53:06 PM

The money flows more heavily towards Gamespot than IGN this time I guess.

or maybe the canadians got to them first.   ninja

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:31 PM »

The IGN review also mentions horrible voice acting, but the voice work is mentioned as a definite strong point in Game Trailers review. 

I'm confus...ed

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2007, 10:07:54 PM »

So far it looks like IGN and Eurogamer have the most informative reviews going.

Never thought i'd go with an IGN review before Gamespot. It must be a full moon. paranoid
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2007, 10:16:21 PM »

wow, talk about confusing.  everyone seems to have wildly different opinions on this one! 

is there a neutral and objective reviewer that people agree with (or at least believe them to be sincere most of the time) floating around the 'net?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 13, 2007, 10:16:21 PM

wow, talk about confusing.  everyone seems to have wildly different opinions on this one! 

is there a neutral and objective reviewer that people agree with (or at least believe them to be sincere most of the time) floating around the 'net?

Maybe the reviews are different because *GASP* people have different opinions on the game. A shocking idea I know, but it could be true.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »

Haven't read gamespot's review yet, but I never thought I'd see the day where they score a game that much higher than IGN. Me so confused.

-John

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »

Quote from: CSL on November 13, 2007, 10:33:09 PM

Quote from: hepcat on November 13, 2007, 10:16:21 PM

Maybe the reviews are different because *GASP* people have different opinions on the game. A shocking idea I know, but it could be true.

while i would normally agree with you, the divergent reports about something that can easily be verified like the framerate issues noted above leads me to believe that may not be the only reason for the inconsistencies. 

by the way, sorry i pissed in your wheaties this morning.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2007, 10:52:13 PM »

i've always held eurogamer's reviews in pretty high regard, so for them to say that ultimately, the game leaves you disappointed, makes me considering a rental instead.  they compared it to crackdown, and while i played the S out of that game, i played it for a week and was glad that i rented it rather than buying it.  part burnout by repetition, and part because there was little to do after the main bad guys were gone.  this one seems to follow a similar gameplay pattern, but there's something missing, as in taking down the lieutenants makes the leader easier to defeat ala crackdown.  the collectibles, which were fun and useful to collect in crackdown, are neither in ac.   

they didn't reveal anything plot wise, but they commented on how the twist is contrived and disappointing. 

it looks like their's two camps on this, and it comes down to this:  does the atmosphere of the game make up for the repetitiveness of the gameplay?  gamespot and the early reviews say yes, ign and eurogamer say no, and that the beauty of the engine are not matched by the gameplay.  i'd liken it to far cry.  underneath the pretty graphics was an average shooter with a mix of good and bad points.  if you bored of the mechanics, the pretty face only went so far.

Quote from: hepcat on November 13, 2007, 10:36:44 PM

by the way, sorry i pissed in your wheaties this morning.   icon_biggrin
admit it, that was fun.  Tongue

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »

Wow, my gut feeling was right about this game. Last night I went into EB to trade in 3 games for SMG, but unfortunately the SMG deal was over. Since I had already handed in my 3 games, I asked about other 3 trade in offers. When the sales rep read the list only Assassins Creed and NHL 08 stood out.

The EB staff gave me some real pressure about AC, saying it was GOTY and a X360 must have. One of them that came late into the conversation said; "you want NHL 08? you do know that Assassins Creed is on the 3 game list...right?" My gut told me otherwise and I stuck to my guns. So the short of it, I walked out with an 'AAA' game in hand in place of a preorder for an 'A' game. Unfortunately I didn't walk out with a preorder for a game that soundling like it may just be the greatest AAA game of all time, but at least I've got hockey! smile
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2007, 11:04:13 PM »

Quote from: tripwire on November 13, 2007, 10:07:54 PM

why's that, just because they have it rated lower?  sounds pretty cynical to me
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 13, 2007, 11:04:13 PM

Quote from: tripwire on November 13, 2007, 10:07:54 PM

why's that, just because they have it rated lower?  sounds pretty cynical to me

Not because they're lower, but because they go into the issues alot more, which ultimately makes me decide if it's worth my time. I always want to hear the cons, then decide if it's enough to steer me away.

Gamespot's review seems very weak to me. He doesn't go into any detail about the repetitive nature of the missions, NPC phrases, and dumb AI which is so very obvious in the vids i've watched.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: