http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:44:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/XB1/PS3/PS4/Wii U/PC]Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag  (Read 11110 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

What do you need a manual for? Most games don't have one (a real one) these days anyway.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »

Manuals are all generally in-game these days, either in the options menu or through excessive tutorial handholding. "It looks like you are trying to assassinate a pirate, would you like help with that?"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 01, 2014, 09:17:35 PM

What do you need a manual for? Most games don't have one (a real one) these days anyway.

So sue me, I like to read manuals Roll Eyes. Back in my day, the manuals were HUGE!!! Of course, they were on stone so even a GTAV size manual weighed more than Fred Flintstone's car. And don't get me started on how long it took to load a program from a cassette...

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »

Well, manuals aren't really huge any more. The vast majority, from major publishers, contain only basic installation instructions and perhaps a simple chart over the controls if you're lucky. Generally speaking, if you can't find a manual, there isn't one in the first place. In AC4's case, the manual is only available from within the game itself, though what's there is actually remarkably thorough.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »

No manual that I know of. AC has always been kind of crappy for that. There are decent wikis around if you google that. While I am by no means an expert, I am far along in the game now and believe I have figured out how most things work. And other people here know much more than me I'm sure. You should be able to get any question answered.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 01, 2014, 10:36:26 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 01, 2014, 09:17:35 PM

So sue me, I like to read manuals Roll Eyes. Back in my day, the manuals were HUGE!!! Of course, they were on stone so even a GTAV size manual weighed more than Fred Flintstone's car. And don't get me started on how long it took to load a program from a cassette...
Ahh. Good old load"*",8,1
I am also disappointed in the manuals now adays.. Granted, you probably don't need them as much for most fps or 3rd person games, and there aren't any real simulator games.. although ARMA could use a good manual.. I still have my Falcon 4.0 binder somewhere...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »

I think community-run wikis are the modern day Falcon 4.0 binder manuals.  Just about any game that could benefit from a nice thick manual probably has a great wiki page out there with more info than a paper manual ever would.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 02, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »

The Falcon 4.0 Manual was better than a lot of school study\research books. It had the look, feel, and content of a real deal Pilot's go-to reference manual.
So did Longbow-2, but not as good as Falcon. I miss those sims.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 02, 2014, 07:05:29 PM

The Falcon 4.0 Manual was better than a lot of school study\research books. It had the look, feel, and content of a real deal Pilot's go-to reference manual.
So did Longbow-2, but not as good as Falcon. I miss those sims.

Luckily I still have my copies of those plus pretty much all the Jane's Sims

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 11, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

I having lots of fun with this game, especially the open world aspect. I've got about twenty five hours of playtime and I'm only a third of the way through the campaign. As I mentioned, this came free with my Nvidia card, otherwise I don't know that I would have even given it a try. And it's very more fun because of the awesome graphics, which thanks to the new card I can run fully cranked up.

According to FRAPS I'm getting a solid 60 fps at most times, even in storms. Oddly, at times it drops to a solid 30 fps when I'm ashore in a tropical setting, maybe it's that PhysX stuff.

So, is AC4BF better than AC3? I haven't played an AC game since AC2 and I'm thinking of getting some of the others in the series.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 11, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 11, 2014, 08:08:36 PM

According to FRAPS I'm getting a solid 60 fps at most times, even in storms. Oddly, at times it drops to a solid 30 fps when I'm ashore in a tropical setting, maybe it's that PhysX stuff.

The precipitous drop from 60 fps all the way to 30 is the result of a well-documented but completely unacknowledged flaw in the game's renderer, causing it to ignore your video card's Triple Buffering setting.  This means any scene that would normally make your frame rate drop from 60 down to 57 will instead cause it to plummet all the way to 30.

Fortunately, there's a fairly simple workaround that worked quite well for me:

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 05, 2013, 12:33:28 PM

1. Start Black Flag and enter the game.

2. Ctrl-Alt-Del and open Task Manager.  (Alt-Tab is not sufficient.)

3. Close Task Manager and use Alt-Tab to un-minimize Black Flag.

For the rest of that game session, I can have V-Sync enabled, with no screen tearing and no apparent frame rate drops.  Why does this work?  I have no idea, but pending an official fix from Ubisoft, I definitely recommend it!

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 11, 2014, 08:08:36 PM

So, is AC4BF better than AC3? I haven't played an AC game since AC2 and I'm thinking of getting some of the others in the series.

Assassin's Creed III is kind of like Black Flag except with less refined graphics, much worse combat mechanics, a tutorial section that lasts for several hours before you're let off the leash, missions designed so poorly that you will question the moral compass of the people who designed them, and a main character with the charisma of a wooden block so boring that all the other wooden blocks kicked him out of the wooden block box.

You do not want to play Assassin's Creed III.

-Autistic Angel
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »

Thanks for the info on frame rate and the warning about AC3. If it goes on deep sale I might get it, but otherwise I've got a lot of other playing to do.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 22, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »

I finished the main campaign today. Pretty enjoyable except for the platforming puzzles at the Observatory. And I have to confess that I'm not the type of person who normally plays to the very end of a campaign, but the missions were different and interesting enough that I was motivated to keep going. I did burn out on gathering up the collectibles.

Assassin's Creed III is kind of like Black Flag except with less refined graphics, much worse combat mechanics, a tutorial section that lasts for several hours before you're let off the leash, missions designed so poorly that you will question the moral compass of the people who designed them, and a main character with the charisma of a wooden block so boring that all the other wooden blocks kicked him out of the wooden block box.

I don't tend to get really invested in the characters of a computer game; frankly I lost track of which bad pirate was which. I enjoyed Kenway but the rest of the main characters didn't do anything for me. I'm thinking that perhaps I'm the kind of person who might be more likely to enjoy AC3 because I don't really care about the designers' moral compasses or how boring the main character is, so long as there is some variety in the missions. In any case, I'll still wait for it to go on deep discount.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2014, 09:35:10 AM »

There is variety in AC3's missions, but their quality is way below AC4's standard. Characters will tell you to do one thing, but the game expects you to do something completely different. Mission objectives are unclear and confusing. Many missions require trial and failure, because the designers expect you to solve the mission in this one specific way that they've devised, even if there's no logical reason why other solutions shouldn't work. Even such things as the secondary objectives, which are fun and rewarding in AC4, are frustrating and unreasonable in AC3.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2014, 04:37:16 AM »

So I'm near the end, and I have to rescue a certain someone from a prison and escape with that person...  This person is hurt and I'm carrying her to a boat, and I'm ambushed by the red coats.  So where's the best place to lay this person down so I can fight off the ambushers?

Well here.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: