http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:34:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/XB1/PS3/PS4/Wii U/PC]Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag  (Read 11251 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

uh oh.... the Matrix is changing!

The silly part is that it gives you the option to "pet animal" but you don't actually pet it, the cat just rubs against your leg.  Kinda weird.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:42 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2013, 10:51:46 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

uh oh.... the Matrix is changing!

The silly part is that it gives you the option to "pet animal" but you don't actually pet it, the cat just rubs against your leg.  Kinda weird.

In Soviet Caribbean, cat pets you!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »

how the hell do you get off the stupid island?  I don't think I have the patience for this game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2013, 03:47:40 AM »

just had my first crash, system hard locked, had to manually reboot.  Other than that I have almost all of Havana cleared.  Been rescuing crew members, but I'm not sure it matters as I haven't gotten a ship yet.  Killed a few hundred guards, and I think I have one assassination contract left. 

The present day stuff is interesting,

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was watching the wall you pass by when entering Abstergo, where they flashed scenes from the various memories to see if there were any signs of other memories we hadn't encountered.  I did see one where it looked like the assassin had a whip, and another seemed like it an Asian setting.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:38 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 20, 2013, 12:14:16 AM

how the hell do you get off the stupid island?  I don't think I have the patience for this game

do you mean Havana?  you'll need to advance the story before you get your own ship.  kind of a bum deal, but once you do that, the game opens up immensely. 

CeeKay, you can probably stop saving crew.  I think the first time you get to the ship, you'll get enough crew to start. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2013, 04:41:58 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:35:38 AM

CeeKay, you can probably stop saving crew.  I think the first time you get to the ship, you'll get enough crew to start. 

but I see the Man putting down my brethren of the sea, and I just have to step in!  DAMN THE MAN!

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »

do you mean Havana?  you'll need to advance the story before you get your own ship.  kind of a bum deal, but once you do that, the game opens up immensely. 

No I mean the island where you crash land...   been running all over that island and I can't find the way off

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 20, 2013, 11:02:32 AM

No I mean the island where you crash land...   been running all over that island and I can't find the way off

once you catch the assassin you should see a boat in the bay, go towards it and a new goal should appear.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 12:22:12 PM

once you catch the assassin you should see a boat in the bay, go towards it and a new goal should appear.

Missed the boat... will reload tonight

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »

So is UPlay on the PS4 completely borked right now? Redeemed the 'Passport' and it's never been able to connect to the Ubisoft servers, which even the single player game constantly reminds me of.  disgust

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 20, 2013, 01:06:21 PM

The way off the island is in the red restricted zone.  I mistakingly avoided that area at first and was running off in the wrong direction.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 20, 2013, 01:06:21 PM

a more fitting sentence was never uttered. 

I hope this was intentional

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 20, 2013, 03:10:16 PM

So is UPlay on the PS4 completely borked right now? Redeemed the 'Passport' and it's never been able to connect to the Ubisoft servers, which even the single player game constantly reminds me of.  disgust

I've been able to use this since the beginning.  odd that you've been having difficulties. 

on top of that, I side-loaded the companion app on my tablet and it's pretty damn slick.  if you find that your specific brand of Android device isn't supported yet, I got mine working through this post
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/705970-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/67695015

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:54:06 PM

I've been able to use this since the beginning.  odd that you've been having difficulties. 

looking at the games official forums I've seen a bunch of threads about uPlay connection issues.  I've been keeping an eye on them to see if anyone figures out how to enable the 120mhz refresh rate for 1920x1080 on the PC.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »

Well the game looks great but man there are way to many graphic options on the PC. Not sure what to choose for some of these choices, particularly with the anti aliasing where there's like a four or five different types listed.

It's been awhile since I've played an AC game. Basically played a fair amount of the first and barely anything of the 2nd and thats it. The stealth and fighting mechanics are a bit odd to me. I was trying to do the 2nd mission, where you follow these guys for awhile, then have to sneak into a fort. However there's so many guards in that fort I can't sneak in without getting spotted pretty quickly. Am I supposed to be going through this without being spotted or kill everything as I make my way towards my goal? If I'm not supposed to be spotted are my only options to hide in haystacks and closets?

The combat and parkor seems a bit clunky, particularly after coming from Batman Origins. Lots of jerky stops/starts in the movement or flow which seems odd as its obviously been done so well in other games.

I'm sure I'll get used to it just wish those things had as much polish to it as the rest of the game looks.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »

yup.  if you go into eagle vision, you'll spot all of these little patches of green and yellow and white.  you can either duck into them or hide in them, then whistle when the guards walk close and assassinate them when they come over to investigate.  you should also be using the eagle vision to mark them so you can easily spot them before they walk around the corner and spot you killing their friends

the whole combat/stealth mechanism is based around taking out guards in small groups so you can make your way unmolested.  if you get spotted, watch for their awareness markers to drop to yellow and then make a beeline for a place to hide or make your way up a tree or house. 

sadly, the improvements don't really help with the janky animation as you noted. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 20, 2013, 06:58:15 PM

Well the game looks great but man there are way to many graphic options on the PC. Not sure what to choose for some of these choices, particularly with the anti aliasing where there's like a four or five different types listed.

I was taking some comparison shots of the different AA settings.  It seems the higher up you go in the AA settings the blurrier stuff gets.

no AA

FXAA

SMAA

CSx8(x16)

MSAAx8

TXAAx4

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »

One thing I like in AC4 is that I can just freerun and press the attack button and my guy will do contextual attack animations based on where he is, and the # of bad guys.  I saw 2 pirates kneeling before 2 guards at gunpoint.  I was able to just run right at them and press attack, and I was rewarded with a jumping, crazy double sword attack skewering the 1st guard and killing the 2nd as he landed.  Really cool.

Countering is super easy with the red number that pops up over the attackers head.  Just for fun, I recommend switching to fists for one play session, and enjoy the well done hand to hand counter animations.  Some good blocking animations attacking the inside wrists of enemy sword wielders.  I didn't play AC3, but the combat animations seem much better than what I remember from AC2 (I didn't play Brotherhood).  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

Really enjoying this game and the whole pirate theme as well.  Even ship combat has been really fun, as is just exploring the sea.  It's absolutely gorgeous on the PS4, too.  I didn't start playing until after the patch for 1080p, so I'm not sure how it looked before. 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2013, 05:12:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 05:15:12 PM

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:54:06 PM

looking at the games official forums I've seen a bunch of threads about uPlay connection issues.  I've been keeping an eye on them to see if anyone figures out how to enable the 120mhz refresh rate for 1920x1080 on the PC.

The forums were offline this morning when I went looking, but they're back up now. And yes, easy to find quite a number of people in the same boat as I am. Found this:

when i called yesterday the rep just said it's a known issue and they are working on fixing it. said just to keep trying over the next couple of days

So off playing something else until they get this ironed out.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »

I am really trying to like this game, but I feel like I am playing Assassin Creed Revelations except I'm a Pirate.  Revelations was the last entry I played in this series and I think the formula is just no longer my cup of tea.  Games does look gorgeous on my GTX 760 I must admit

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:56:27 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 21, 2013, 10:53:37 AM

I am really trying to like this game, but I feel like I am playing Assassin Creed Revelations except I'm a Pirate.  Revelations was the last entry I played in this series and I think the formula is just no longer my cup of tea.  Games does look gorgeous on my GTX 760 I must admit

I was worried about that too, as I played AC3 and really didn't like it at all.  Something about this game though is keeping me interested and I think it's the tropical setting and pirating!  I feel like I'm on vacation!
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »

I tried 3 times to make it through AC3, but never did.  The game just didn't click with me.

I am loving AC4 though.  It has been a nice variety of ship/land, keeping it interesting. 
And hey, who doesn't love pirates?  Used some of my uplay points to buy the pirate costume, making it even better!  smile

I downloaded the AC4 app on to my nexus tablet last night, and thought that was kind of cool, and handy. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 21, 2013, 02:01:43 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 21, 2013, 10:53:37 AM

I am really trying to like this game, but I feel like I am playing Assassin Creed Revelations except I'm a Pirate.  Revelations was the last entry I played in this series and I think the formula is just no longer my cup of tea.  Games does look gorgeous on my GTX 760 I must admit

I was worried about that too, as I played AC3 and really didn't like it at all.  Something about this game though is keeping me interested and I think it's the tropical setting and pirating!  I feel like I'm on vacation!

ditto.  I keep attacking ships for plunder and doing some hunting as well.  I like how their hunting sidequests have been slightly evolving from AC3 to Far Cry 3 and now AC4.  I was disappointed that those Abstergo challenges that I keep seeing pop up are for MP stuff or cheats only.  I figure I'll get a lot of them over the course of the game anyways, all except the last one as I don't care about getting 100% sync on missions.

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »

Just a heads up: The latest patch for AC IV introduces texture flickering for some users. The fix is to delete the patch at this time.

Edit: This only affects PS4 users from what I'm hearing.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 21, 2013, 05:58:50 PM

Just a heads up: The latest patch for AC IV introduces texture flickering for some users. The fix is to delete the patch at this time.

Edit: This only affects PS4 users from what I'm hearing.

Is there a new patch 1.03 or do you mean the 1.02 patch?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »

Starting to get the flow of this game with sneaking around and assassinating guards. But I suck at doing it for those side-assassination quests. I start out fine killing a guard or two but then once I try and make my way towards the target things go to pot and I almost always have to flee. But I'm liking the game a bit more than when I didn't quite understand the game flow.

I also found out Adaptive Vsync actually works! I had tried playing with Vsync off and would get screen tearing. With Vsync on I would get some noticeable slowdowns at certain points. With Adaptive Sync the game runs smooth. I was actually kinda amazed it worked as advertised.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »

found a new favorite way to assassinate those pesky people who like being surrounded by 10 of their closest buddies, and I don't have to even get close enough myself.  I definitely recommend playing the game up through the assassin's hideout. 

I also tried (unsuccessfully) to hunt one of the random white whales that show up on occasion.  yeah, that didn't work out so well as he finally decided to assert his higher position on the food chain and jump right on top of the boat. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

man, I love when you are at sea and a storm rolls in while you're in combat, plus the level of smoke effects that pop up when you are up close and personal while you broadside a ship.  I also finally realized I can change costumes.  Altair's does not look all that great, Ezio's looks OK, and I'm not sure I want to try out Connor's outfit; Edward might suddenly get whiny.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Quote from: gangeli on November 21, 2013, 03:11:32 PM

I tried 3 times to make it through AC3, but never did.  The game just didn't click with me.

Huh, that's weird.  I wonder if there any particular wet towel suffocating all the fun in that ga-

Quote from: Kotaku
Nothing typified the regression the Assassin's Creed series took between Revelations and III more than the game's star. We went from Ezio, a lovable, charismatic rogue, to Connor, who was...nothing. He was nothingness in a white hood.

Sucking much of the life out of the franchise with his solemn frown and humour deficiency, the series has swiftly moved on without him, the only people seemingly caring to remember being cosplayers and a crowd on Tumblr who immortalise him with fanart and fanfiction.1

So it's hilarious to most, and upsetting to that minority, that in a Reddit AMA earlier today, lead writer Darby McDevitt responded to the question "How likely is it that Connor's story will be continued in another game in the future?" with:

"Not very. We want Tumblr to pick up where we left off.""

http://kotaku.com/assassins-creeds-connor-who-was-the-worst-is-done-f-1459894621

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »

heh, fired up the game to get in some play time before going to work, and had some odd moments.  first was a deer that launched itself through the air as I shot it while running- and not just a cartwheel but a full 20 foot long jump.  the second was in a fight with some soldiers.  I interrupted my finishing move to block an enemy attack, but the enemy I was killing continued to go through the animation even though I was no where there.  Guy looked like he was having a freakin' seizure.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2013, 12:23:05 PM

heh, fired up the game to get in some play time before going to work, and had some odd moments.  first was a deer that launched itself through the air as I shot it while running- and not just a cartwheel but a full 20 foot long jump.  the second was in a fight with some soldiers.  I interrupted my finishing move to block an enemy attack, but the enemy I was killing continued to go through the animation even though I was no where there.  Guy looked like he was having a freakin' seizure.
I love those weird game engine moments.  I was trying to shoulder charge a guard off the roof the other night, and my guy decided to do a really wicked looking leaping power kick instead, launching the guard 30-40 feet through the air.  He landed in a balcony across the street.  Not what I intended, but thank you game engine, that was awesome.  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

I'm disappointed in the diving sections.  I was really looking forward to them and I feel like there are so many sharks and they are right on top of you that it takes away from the fun of those sections.  It would have been enough with a shark here and there in addition to the urchins, jellies, and eels that get you.  Bummer!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:23 PM »

The whole attacking shark concept is stupid anyway. Sharks don't hunt humans. They mostly just attack us if they think we're some other animal, which mostly happens when someone is splashing water while swimming along the surface. They'll typically stop their attack once they realize that their target isn't what they thought it is, which is why shark attack victims typically are only bitten, not eaten. The Assassin's Creed developers claim to want to make a realistic pirate setting, which makes it doubly stupid that they're enabling these old myths.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 23, 2013, 04:40:23 PM

The whole attacking shark concept is stupid anyway. Sharks don't hunt humans. They mostly just attack us if they think we're some other animal, which mostly happens when someone is splashing water while swimming along the surface. They'll typically stop their attack once they realize that their target isn't what they thought it is, which is why shark attack victims typically are only bitten, not eaten. The Assassin's Creed developers claim to want to make a realistic pirate setting, which makes it doubly stupid that they're enabling these old myths.

Maybe sharks back in the days of pirates used to eat people and then stopped as time passed. slywink

I'm really enjoying the game, myself.  I've played and beat every AC game, so definitely a fan of the franchise.  I did get a little tired with AC3, but really the tiring part was me trying to do all the side stuff.  I ended up just sticking to the main story and was able to enjoy it finally.

With AC4, though, I absolutely love the side stuff because it's fun to sail around and explore.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2013, 10:23:18 PM »

Uh the whole game is based on myths, legends, and fantasy. I hope you aren't playing the game assuming that any of what happens actually ever occurred in real life.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 23, 2013, 10:23:18 PM

Uh the whole game is based on myths, legends, and fantasy. I hope you aren't playing the game assuming that any of what happens actually ever occurred in real life.

Do you take me for a complete idiot? Tongue

I'm referring to the developers making a huge point out of trying to portray a more realistic kind of pirate in this game than the swashbuckling Johnny Depps we usually get. If they've spent this effort trying to portray more believable pirates, why introduce the shark from Jaws? It kind of undermines their efforts.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2013, 03:40:46 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 23, 2013, 10:38:46 PM

I'm referring to the developers making a huge point out of trying to portray a more realistic kind of pirate in this game than the swashbuckling Johnny Depps we usually get. If they've spent this effort trying to portray more believable pirates, why introduce the shark from Jaws? It kind of undermines their efforts.

I think I'd be worried if this was a shark hunting sim or something, but in this case I will give them a pass.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »

so.. jaguars... fuckin' bobcats of the Caribbean man.

also, didn't realize crafting an outfit automatically switched you to it.   did it for the feline hunter outfit while away from the ship and ended up having to gallivant around Cape Bonavista dressed up like a Thundercats reject.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2013, 04:27:36 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 23, 2013, 10:38:46 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on November 23, 2013, 10:23:18 PM

Do you take me for a complete idiot? Tongue

I don't see whats more realistic about this game in terms of the characters or the setting than say the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. So no I still don't get your complaint.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: