http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 09:34:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/XB1/PS3/PS4/Wii U/PC]Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag  (Read 13558 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »

ouch.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2013, 11:21:04 PM »

looks like the Ps3/Ps4 DLC may not be exclusive past 6 months.  of course the person writing the article apparently hasn't checked out the PC Gold Edition.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:23:48 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:38 PM »

No pre-order or special editions for me. Really waiting on reviews of the PS3/360 version to see if they went anywhere with the story after running it into the ground (or aground? slywink) in 3. Gameplay seems standard AC3, but a bit more open with ships. But it's hard to do mostly the same things over and over without enough of a plot driving me forward.

Part of the reason why 3 seemed so terrible was that Connor was basically a tool. That even reflected in reviews mentioning it. A friend who played the whole thing basically said he wanted the Templars to win at the end of that one.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 23, 2013, 11:21:04 PM

looks like the Ps3/Ps4 DLC may not be exclusive past 6 months.  of course the person writing the article apparently hasn't checked out the PC Gold Edition.

Yeah, the latest PS4 ad (which is awesome btw) has it stated as a 6 month exclusive. I hate exclusive (timed or not) DLC. I'm glad the 360 and XB1 owners are not going to be shut out, like they were with the past AC games.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »

GT review is up:
http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/drink-hearties-yo-ho-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-review/

Hopefully Ron can come in and talk a teeny bit more about the story and whether it's being pointed back towards something interesting, or is still run aground.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:54:59 AM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »

Huh, I was under the impression we were getting PS4 reviews of AC4 today, but I guess that was limited to BF4. Any idea when the PS4 reviews for the game will start to appear?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »

Rev3 did a comparison video, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_fM8jsbGU

Basically, there are very notable additions for next gen consoles. However, they are mostly just situational additions. The overall graphics between 360 and PS4 (the two consoles played by the reviewer) are pretty similar due to cross-gen development.

There's things like improved foliage, better ocean textures and effects, but stuff like facial animation, overall model and terrain detail, all pretty much the same. Also mentioned fog in the current gen version compared to next gen.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »

GeForce tech video.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »

Gamespot review does (briefly) talk about the PS4 version. They loved it 9/10.

This review has made me think that this series is just not for me anymore. I am in the minority in that I really did not enjoy the ship combat in AC3. It sounds like the ship combat is a major component to this game, which will probably please many. I loved AC2, brotherhood, and even the first one. But Revelations and AC3 turned me off greatly and if anything this new one seems less appealing to me, and veering farther away from what I loved about the series in the first place.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »

Video showing PS4 compared to 360.  Basically a next-gen v. current-gen video.  Not as drastic as one would hope but not entirely unexpected for a crossgen game.

I've timestamped it here because I think this shows the most difference between current and next gen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3MUsYJVbsCQ#t=400

I assume PC is along the lines of the PS4 version.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »

PC is better than current gen, IIRC. There was some graphics stuff left out on the Gen8 console versions (XO, PS4)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 29, 2013, 02:31:59 PM

PC is better than current gen, IIRC. There was some graphics stuff left out on the Gen8 console versions (XO, PS4)

Both Xbox One and PS4 versions are amazingly similar to the PC build though. The improvements added by going PC are pretty minor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »

Yes, though PC version can run greater than 1080p slywink

It was a deciding factor for me as I'm getting it with my new video card. I'm so excited! I've not had a "new" card in QUITE some time. My last two cards were used.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:35:37 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 29, 2013, 02:04:04 PM

Video showing PS4 compared to 360.  Basically a next-gen v. current-gen video.  Not as drastic as one would hope but not entirely unexpected for a crossgen game.

I've timestamped it here because I think this shows the most difference between current and next gen.

sad to see they didn't get away from my most disliked aspect of AC3's stealth:  crouching only when in stealth mode, rather than by choice.  I hate seeing your character stand up when in open ground.

also, the two things I took away from the video:  moving foilage and better waterfalls.  that's about it. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 29, 2013, 05:28:27 PM

sad to see they didn't get away from my most disliked aspect of AC3's stealth:  crouching only when in stealth mode, rather than by choice.  I hate seeing your character stand up when in open ground.

On the plus side, it seems like bushes are much more densely placed and allow you to stealth continuously to a larger degree than in AC3.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:32:01 PM by TiLT » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »

also, the two things I took away from the video:  moving foilage and better waterfalls.  that's about it. 

Take a look at this video. There's a whole bunch of really impressive technologies added for next-gen consoles (and PC) in this game, but they are to a large degree situational and won't be apparent in random gameplay clips from the game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 29, 2013, 02:04:04 PM

Video showing PS4 compared to 360.  Basically a next-gen v. current-gen video.  Not as drastic as one would hope but not entirely unexpected for a crossgen game.

sad to see they didn't get away from my most disliked aspect of AC3's stealth:  crouching only when in stealth mode, rather than by choice.  I hate seeing your character stand up when in open ground.

and possible fish slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 29, 2013, 03:25:15 PM

Yes, though PC version can run greater than 1080p slywink

It was a deciding factor for me as I'm getting it with my new video card. I'm so excited! I've not had a "new" card in QUITE some time. My last two cards were used.

and probably higher than 60FPS.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 29, 2013, 11:18:43 AM

Gamespot review does (briefly) talk about the PS4 version. They loved it 9/10.

This review has made me think that this series is just not for me anymore. I am in the minority in that I really did not enjoy the ship combat in AC3. It sounds like the ship combat is a major component to this game, which will probably please many. I loved AC2, brotherhood, and even the first one. But Revelations and AC3 turned me off greatly and if anything this new one seems less appealing to me, and veering farther away from what I loved about the series in the first place.

at this point if they took all the new stuff out they could probably pump out games faster than once a year biggrin

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »

It appears the Aveline DLC missions that are exclusive to the PS3 and PS4 will remain exclusive forever, unlike the previously indicated 6 months.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »

woohoo!  uPlay finally has the Gold Edition up, so I can get it there and avoid any Steam/uPlay not workingness.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 29, 2013, 08:22:21 PM

woohoo!  uPlay finally has the Gold Edition up, so I can get it there and avoid any Steam/uPlay not workingness.

You're playing right into their hand, you know.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2013, 05:31:38 PM

Take a look at this video. There's a whole bunch of really impressive technologies added for next-gen consoles (and PC) in this game, but they are to a large degree situational and won't be apparent in random gameplay clips from the game.
oh, no doubt the graphics are much improved over previous games, but that's all I could detect at first glance from the video.  I was expecting a bigger jump in details like what they are doing in The Division.  

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2013, 08:23:44 PM

I already have a bunch of their games on uPlay without any issues, so I figure why risk having the same bad luck people had with Blood Dragon on Steam not working correctly.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2013, 08:23:44 PM

maybe, but there's no denying that uplay and steam don't always play along nicely.  I've got issues with FC3 Blood Dragon for instance and many others have been unable to play FC3 through Steam.  I've pretty much sworn off buying uplay games on steam as it's a crap shoot whether you'll be able to get it working.  

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 29, 2013, 08:24:29 PM

I was expecting a bigger jump in details like what they are doing in The Division. 

don't forget, The Division is being designed solely for the next gen (and PC), so it will look light years better.  AC4 is a cross gen game, which is what is probably holding it back.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 29, 2013, 08:27:32 PM

AC4 is a cross gen game, which is what is probably holding it back.

Definitely! It's also an aging engine designed for different times. It's the special effects that separates these two generations in AC4, not the regular stuff like character models and such. I mean, there's better texture detail and higher resolution (well, maybe) as well as better framerate, but you can clearly see the limitations.

Having said that, those who've played both versions say that the PS4 version (which is what they've tried. I believe the Xbox One version is off-limits still) is far superior to the PS3/360 versions, even if it doesn't look that way in review videos.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2013, 08:17:51 PM

It appears the Aveline DLC missions that are exclusive to the PS3 and PS4 will remain exclusive forever, unlike the previously indicated 6 months.

Joystiq got some clarification:

We reached out to Ubisoft for comment, and the company explained that the DLC could potentially reach other platforms in the future, but that currently the publisher had no plans to do so.

"I can confirm that at the current stage the PS exclusive DLC isn't planned for Xbox 360/Xbox One," Ubisoft told Joystiq.

The key word here is "current." Ubisoft appears to be keeping its options open for the future, while also adhering to the spirit (if not the letter) of its agreement with Sony. This addition may appear on other consoles at some point, or it may not - either way these PR vagueries absolve Ubisoft of having to commit to anything.

ah, PR vagueries.  Not that it matters to me as apparently Ubi doesn't consider the PC a platform icon_lol

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 07:44:51 AM »

I loved what I saw of ship combat in 3, but even reviews for 4 say that the repetitive nature of it wears thin due to all of it being the same, much like for a lot of the AC series.

Still no word of story progression other than that AC4 doesn't seem to have any bombshells of advance the plot. Although things to resolve nicely apparently.

Will probably skip this one and wait for a next gen only AC5 or 4.25, 4.5, and 4.75.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »

sweet.  Gamefly just launched a new digital PC games website, and to celebrate they're sending out individual 25% off codes, so I can grab the Gold Edition for the price of the regular edition.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2013, 06:58:44 PM

sweet.  Gamefly just launched a new digital PC games website, and to celebrate they're sending out individual 25% off codes, so I can grab the Gold Edition for the price of the regular edition.
uplay code, I assume?  how long does this code last?  I may go this route if the Target game selection is too trashed on launch day.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 31, 2013, 07:31:45 PM

uplay code, I assume?  how long does this code last?  I may go this route if the Target game selection is too trashed on launch day.

the site say uPlay.  Unfortunately the codes are one time use.  I got two separate emails and the codes were different for each one.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2013, 07:35:20 PM

the site say uPlay.  Unfortunately the codes are one time use.  I got two separate emails and the codes were different for each one.

yeah, got a code too. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:37 PM »

Gotten from Nvidia.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 31, 2013, 07:38:12 PM

yeah, got a code too. 

I thinn it expires 12-31.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2013, 09:07:19 PM

Quote from: Caine on October 31, 2013, 07:38:12 PM

yeah, got a code too. 

I thinn it expires 12-31.

Aw shit -  CeeKay's been drinking. I'm logging off for the night - I know where this day is headed and there's no way this doesn't end with him crying naked in the foyer of some upscale hotel.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

<hic>

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »

This video just sold me on the game. I was going to get it for the PS4 anyway, but now I'm starting to believe it can actually improve upon some of the shittiest parts of AC3.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

still waiting for the last second delay of the PC version smile

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2013, 06:15:35 PM

still waiting for the last second delay of the PC version smile

Wasn't it already delayed beyond the next-gen versions?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: