http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:29:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/XB1/PS3/PS4/Wii U/PC]Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag  (Read 10251 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2013, 04:54:10 AM »

I guess it's more realistic in the sense that there isn't a lot of mysticism, undead squid-faced pirates, walking skeletons, etc. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 24, 2013, 03:40:46 AM

Quote from: TiLT on November 23, 2013, 10:38:46 PM

I'm referring to the developers making a huge point out of trying to portray a more realistic kind of pirate in this game than the swashbuckling Johnny Depps we usually get. If they've spent this effort trying to portray more believable pirates, why introduce the shark from Jaws? It kind of undermines their efforts.

I think I'd be worried if this was a shark hunting sim or something, but in this case I will give them a pass.

Yeah, on the annoyance scale it only registers as "mild". It's still dumb though.

Quote from: Jumangi on November 24, 2013, 04:27:36 AM

I don't see whats more realistic about this game in terms of the characters or the setting than say the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. So no I still don't get your complaint.

Read again. The developers claimed to make the game a more realistic portrayal of pirates than what we're used to, and from what I've seen that seems true enough. With the exception of the main character himself, what I've seen (and I haven't played the game yet) appears grounded outside of the game mechanics themselves. I initially reacted to Blackbeard's dialect with strong skepticism until I realized that this actually was his real dialect.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »

I'm absolutely in love with this game, I haven't played an AC game since 2 so I'm mostly floored with the increase in scope.

HOWEVER, holy shit this game is buggy... at least the PS4 version. The audio is where I see the most bugs, but I run into a lot of graphical problems too like texture pop-in, warped physics, getting stuck in objects, etc. I hope the next patch irons these issues out because otherwise it's one of my favorite games of the year.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »

other than the warped physics I'd have to say the PC version is fairly stable.  had another fun moment last night where I wish Twitch was running.  Quick traveled to Cape Bonaventure, and I looked out into the bay to see my ship standing vertical on its bow.  about the front quarter was underwater, and no crew was in sight.  after a moment it fell backward, splashed in the water and the crew phased in.

I did have one other bug the first time I launched the game, where Edward took the wheel of the ship and the game did not advance.  restarted and everything was fine.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:39 AM »

I want to witness this glitch in person (make sure to watch the whole thing).

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2013, 05:08:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 25, 2013, 04:21:39 AM

Wow  eek

Sean Lama
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »

nice.  haven't seen any bad glitches like that, but was watching someone take on one of the legendary ships and saw it attack like a whale and jump up onto the jackdaw.  took him a few attempts to finally sink it, and this was at maxed ship upgrades.  he then took on a man of war and had it boarded in about 90 seconds. 

apparently, there's a money exploit that you can do involving one of the legendary ships which gets you about 10k in minutes, depending on your skill at sailing.  I saw it done a few times and it beats the slower method through the fleet system. 

I'm about 50% completed so far, but I've been slow going through the campaign, only on the 6th sequence (just got the diving bell).  only had one really hated mission so far, and it was because I was going for the max synch rating. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »

This is why the ability to retroactively record gameplay clips on the new consoles is so awesome.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 25, 2013, 05:08:03 AM

Wow  eek
That was an amazing entrance for a pirate ship.  Rising up from the depths of the deep blue.  It would have been funnier if the music changed after the ascension of the crew to something dark as the ship rises.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

I've been playing on the PS4 and other than getting stuck on objects in the environment I haven't really noticed many bugs. Pop in and texture stuff all seems to be ok.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »

This game is one of a select few PS4 games available to buy before the European PS4 release this Friday, so I went ahead and bought it today. Now I've got the box sitting in front of me, taunting me.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 25, 2013, 05:45:42 PM

This game is one of a select few PS4 games available to buy before the European PS4 release this Friday, so I went ahead and bought it today. Now I've got the box sitting in front of me, taunting me.

Neener neener neener! icon_razz
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 25, 2013, 05:45:42 PM

Try taunting it back.  Act indifferent around it, games hate that.  Btw, it will be worth the wait.  AC4 is a lot of fun.  They figured out how to put the fun back into the AC series.  Edward is a cool character. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »

This game isn't just fun, it's a marvel in game design. I recognize it has flaws, but damned if I've not been in a state of awe during every moment that I've played it so far (I'm 25% done with the main sequence but I've been exploring and collecting a lot). The mechanics themselves haven't evolved much from the earlier games - running, climbing, and combat mostly feel the same. But the design of the world itself and how interactive it all is, the seafaring gameplay like sailing and ship battles, the quality of the voice acting, the motion capture, the dialogue, even the map, is all extremely well done.

Up until now I would read about how the AC games are made by giant teams collaborating across multiple studios and I wondered why it took so much manpower, but now I get it now. I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being my game of the year.

I need to add in two disclaimers:

I'm a huge fan of pirates and that setting and I'm also playing on my PS4 and a new TV, so I might be experiencing this game on a high smile
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:00:17 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2013, 01:18:06 AM »

just got 2 'free' frigates for my fleet, courtesy of a waterspout that hit them while they were fighting.  one of them was part of a convoy as well biggrin

Because I can,
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2013, 02:01:30 AM »

I've had it rain underwater before, and in my captain's quarters. Other weird stuff too.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 26, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2013, 01:18:06 AM

just got 2 'free' frigates for my fleet, courtesy of a waterspout that hit them while they were fighting.  one of them was part of a convoy as well biggrin

I was chasing a royal convoy when a storm came upon us and before I could line up my shot, two waterspouts had come in from different directions and hit them from both sides.  easiest coin I've made yet. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 25, 2013, 10:48:57 PM

This game isn't just fun, it's a marvel in game design. I recognize it has flaws, but damned if I've not been in a state of awe during every moment that I've played it so far (I'm 25% done with the main sequence but I've been exploring and collecting a lot). The mechanics themselves haven't evolved much from the earlier games - running, climbing, and combat mostly feel the same. But the design of the world itself and how interactive it all is, the seafaring gameplay like sailing and ship battles, the quality of the voice acting, the motion capture, the dialogue, even the map, is all extremely well done.

Up until now I would read about how the AC games are made by giant teams collaborating across multiple studios and I wondered why it took so much manpower, but now I get it now. I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being my game of the year.

I need to add in two disclaimers:

I'm a huge fan of pirates and that setting and I'm also playing on my PS4 and a new TV, so I might be experiencing this game on a high smile

This sums up my thoughts as well. I haven't played an AC game since part one and I am completely hooked on this one. It kind of reminds me of Skyrim, mixed with AC, mixed with pirates. It's a win.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »

I like how they made the warehouses act like the outposts in Far Cry 3, with a bonus for not triggering the alarm. Of course, if everyone is dead then no alarm can be sounded.

I'm supposed to be sailing to the Yucatan, buy keep getting sidetracked by loot on the way. I saw you can buy crafting supplies instead of hunting for them, but I would rather hunt them myself.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »

I only just finished Cuba's collectibles, so I have only dipped my toe into the sailing stuff, but even with the little hiccups, this game reminds me why I like this series.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 26, 2013, 03:35:43 PM

I only just finished Cuba's collectibles, so I have only dipped my toe into the sailing stuff, but even with the little hiccups, this game reminds me why I like this series.

Hevnna is just a tiny bit of what this game has to offer. Heck, I'm over 30 hours into it and they just introduced some new stuff and I don't even have the deep sea diving stuff unlocked yet either.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2013, 04:15:25 PM »

are forts supposed to have special things protecting them?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just barely took a fort that had 2 waterspouts circling it.  it was a very lengthy battle, which makes me to believe it wasn't random weather.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2013, 04:15:25 PM

are forts supposed to have special things protecting them?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just barely took a fort that had 2 waterspouts circling it.  it was a very lengthy battle, which makes me to believe it wasn't random weather.

I think some do, yes.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

I had a huge storm protecting a fort twice now.  I'd have to look up where this happened in case it's just a fluke or common to the larger forts.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 26, 2013, 05:15:10 PM

I had a huge storm protecting a fort twice now.  I'd have to look up where this happened in case it's just a fluke or common to the larger forts.

I thought it was to test your fighting while navigating storms and mortar skillz
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

Does anyone know how those "Friends" discoveries work? So far I have discovered 3 hidden chests and a royal fleet that told me would be shared with my friends. So does that happen automatically with people on my friends list and do their discoveries show up in my game as well?

Also In case I'm not on your PSN firends list my PSN name is Scraper.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 26, 2013, 06:46:14 PM

Does anyone know how those "Friends" discoveries work? So far I have discovered 3 hidden chests and a royal fleet that told me would be shared with my friends. So does that happen automatically with people on my friends list and do their discoveries show up in my game as well?

Also In case I'm not on your PSN firends list my PSN name is Scraper.

I assumed it just shows up on their map when you find it.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »

I'm at about the same point in the story as Ridah, but I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game.

Why do all the characters keep addressing that pirate woman with her hair tied back and some soot on her face as "James?"  At first I thought I was just mishearing "Jane," but they even use masculine verbage like he, him, and his to describe the things she does.

Is this some sort of purposeful glitch in the Animus, or is Ubisoft going to release a patch to fix the profound blindness and deafness that would be required for anyone, anywhere, in any period of history, to mistake "James" for a man?

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2013, 11:26:33 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 26, 2013, 11:23:25 PM

I'm at about the same point in the story as Ridah, but I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game.

Why do all the characters keep addressing that pirate woman with her hair tied back and some soot on her face as "James?"  At first I thought I was just mishearing "Jane," but they even use masculine verbage like he, him, and his to describe the things she does.

Is this some sort of purposeful glitch in the Animus, or is Ubisoft going to release a patch to fix the profound blindness and deafness that would be required for anyone, anywhere, in any period of history, to mistake "James" for a man?

-Autistic Angel

Just keep on playing
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 26, 2013, 11:23:25 PM

Why do all the characters keep addressing that pirate woman with her hair tied back and some soot on her face as "James?"  At first I thought I was just mishearing "Jane," but they even use masculine verbage like he, him, and his to describe the things she does.

-Autistic Angel

biggrin

just need to play more.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »

I finally started to get into the fleet management system, helping out friends is pretty cool, I'm not sure whose fleet I helped but it took their mission time from 10 hours down to 1 hour by helping them. I also found a White Whale and killed it via a friends discovery of it. Pretty cool social system.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »

Is it sad that James is more manlier than Connor ever could be?

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 27, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 27, 2013, 02:23:04 PM

I finally started to get into the fleet management system, helping out friends is pretty cool, I'm not sure whose fleet I helped but it took their mission time from 10 hours down to 1 hour by helping them. I also found a White Whale and killed it via a friends discovery of it. Pretty cool social system.

I've been doing this on the ios app and it's great. I have tons of money from it.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2013, 03:03:29 PM

I've been doing this on the ios app and it's great. I have tons of money from it.

I wish that app worked on Android phones, as it stands it is only compatible with android tablets.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »

dang, no app for windows phone.  stupid windows phone.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »

I think it was mine.  I had a fleet mission say that someone had helped, but it didn't say who. 

also, you might try the side-load method I posted above. 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/705970-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/67695015

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »

I need to remember to edit these down. 

In which the Storm Troopers guard an assassination target  start this at 6:20 unless you want to see me sail around for a while.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 27, 2013, 08:35:45 PM

In which the Storm Troopers guard an assassination target  start this at 6:20 unless you want to see me sail around for a while.

1:30 seconds of loading screens before actual game play. W What system was this on?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 27, 2013, 09:05:49 PM

Quote from: Caine on November 27, 2013, 08:35:45 PM

1:30 seconds of loading screens before actual game play. W What system was this on?

looking at the button prompts I'd say Ps4 or Ps3.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »

is the 4.  standard HDD.  typical ubisoft loading crap too before you get to the menu.  splash screen, fake splash screen for abstergo, then press X menu, then multi-tiled game mode menu, then continue, then load.  then fog of war for way too long.  makes a great argument for using faster than 5400 rpm spindle drives, don't it?

also, it really shows what an improvement can be when the developer focuses on it.  I think the Killzone load up from XMB (or whatever they call it) is much faster and gets you to the menu in maybe 20 seconds. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:18:45 PM by Caine » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: