http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 12:01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2 interest? (Now with Impressions - starting on pg 2)  (Read 29304 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 21, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 21, 2010, 03:13:34 PM

Quote from: TiLT on January 21, 2010, 01:37:07 PM

The bards are easy to deal with. Just throw some money at the ground and they won't bother you. If you run into them, you will attract attention from suspicious guards, though if you quickly leave the area that won't be a problem.

Yeah, throwing money is the best way to get rid of them, super easy and costs almost nothing.

You can also 'steal' from them if you don't mind the teeny bit of notoriety you'll pick up. They drop their instrument and run off with their tail between their legs.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 21, 2010, 03:40:35 PM

The bards are easy to deal with. Just throw some money at the ground and they won't bother you. If you run into them, you will attract attention from suspicious guards, though if you quickly leave the area that won't be a problem.

Yeah, throwing money is the best way to get rid of them, super easy and costs almost nothing.

You can also 'steal' from them if you don't mind the teeny bit of notoriety you'll pick up. They drop their instrument and run off with their tail between their legs.  icon_wink

In Venice, I throw them into canals.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 22, 2010, 02:15:23 PM

LOL, I first started killing them dual blade style, but I kept seeing a message that "Ezio didn't kill civilians" so I switched to throwing money.
I think I had over 500K in Flourins so chucking 10 Flourins is no big deal (Cash Chucker)

The Minstrels are just so annoying that you want to kill them

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 22, 2010, 03:40:19 PM

LOL, I first started killing them dual blade style, but I kept seeing a message that "Ezio didn't kill civilians" so I switched to throwing money.
I think I had over 500K in Flourins so chucking 10 Flourins is no big deal (Cash Chucker)

I usually just ran them over, but when they were really annoying I would punch them in the head.  They are easy to deal with, but why include something so annoying? I wish I would have thought of pushing them into the canals!   
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: January 22, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »

So I finally finished the game just now, and all I have to say this:

Instant sale for what they do next.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 22, 2010, 03:40:19 PM

I know! I have, ummm... [cough] accidentally killed a couple. And a normal civilian type I really meant to pickpocket, I swear.  icon_frown

-craig

RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 22, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »

A certain cape really allowed the minstrel blood to flow!

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 22, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »

Quote from: RuperT on January 22, 2010, 07:32:28 PM

A certain cape really allowed the minstrel blood to flow!

LOL

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 22, 2010, 04:12:16 PM

... but why include something so annoying?

I think the developers intended them to be annoying. The sound bites when you go off on them are funny.

"But I wrote it for you!" .. as he runs away.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »

Some comment I read somewhere had a good idea: Ubisoft should make a DLC mission called "The Day the Music Died" where you get to kill all the minstrels in Florence.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: January 24, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

Just made it to Venice. I don't what the hell I'm going to do come Tuesday night. AC2 totally snuck up on me, but I'm dying for ME2.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:41 AM »

Quote from: Bob on January 22, 2010, 09:10:24 PM

Some comment I read somewhere had a good idea: Ubisoft should make a DLC mission called "The Day the Music Died" where you get to kill all the minstrels in Florence.

The minstrels in Italy have got nothing, absolutely nothing, on the annoying factor of the beggar women and lepers/drunks from Assassin's Creed 1.  The beggar women were like the minstrels except far more persistent and there was no way to get them to screw off.  The lepers were just lazy design.  They homed in on you and only you, then knocked you down on sight, breaking your cover and frequently alerting guards.  They were human roadblocks.  Both types were plentiful.

In comparison, the minstrels are incredibly easy to deal with, not nearly as annoying if you don't, and far less plentiful.  I will take a city full of minstrels before I deal with the crap from AC1 again.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 25, 2010, 06:07:54 AM »

Crap, 29 0f 30 Codex pages found and I can't find the last damn one to move the story forward.  mad

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: January 25, 2010, 06:13:27 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 25, 2010, 06:07:54 AM

Crap, 29 0f 30 Codex pages found and I can't find the last damn one to move the story forward.  mad

It's on your map. If it's not, then you haven't explored all the cities thoroughly.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 25, 2010, 06:13:27 AM

It's on your map. If it's not, then you haven't explored all the cities thoroughly.

I've been everywhere and have all viewpoints sync'd. Problem was I needed to clear all of the other markers off the map before I could see the damn thing. Finally in Rome now.  icon_biggrin

-craig

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 25, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2010, 05:55:41 AM

Quote from: Bob on January 22, 2010, 09:10:24 PM

The minstrels in Italy have got nothing, absolutely nothing, on the annoying factor of the beggar women and lepers/drunks from Assassin's Creed 1.  The beggar women were like the minstrels except far more persistent and there was no way to get them to screw off.  The lepers were just lazy design.  They homed in on you and only you, then knocked you down on sight, breaking your cover and frequently alerting guards.  They were human roadblocks.  Both types were plentiful.

In comparison, the minstrels are incredibly easy to deal with, not nearly as annoying if you don't, and far less plentiful.  I will take a city full of minstrels before I deal with the crap from AC1 again.

Agreed.  I never had a leper or beggar break my cover (I was playing on an easier setting, so that may have had something to do with it), but they were annoying as hell.

That insistent line started driving me nuts, too: "Please, sir, I'm poor and sick and hungry."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 25, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »

Just finished Sequence 5 which is all the Tuscany assassinations. I found the game dragged a bit here as it went back to its "here's a list of people to assassinate by doing the same thing over and over again" roots. However, I still found plenty of other things to do so I was never bored.

I really wish there was some way to show feather locations on the map, even if it means buying a really expensive treasure map. I want to find them all but it doesn't look like that's going to happen unless I scour every square inch of the place. I have 14 so far.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on January 25, 2010, 02:47:35 PM

I really wish there was some way to show feather locations on the map, even if it means buying a really expensive treasure map. I want to find them all but it doesn't look like that's going to happen unless I scour every square inch of the place. I have 14 so far.

Yeah, it's pretty lousy.  I've got 45/100 but I'll never find the others without checking a map online, and even then I'd have to check all 100 possible locations because I have no idea which 55 feathers I haven't already gotten. That's not fun. That's tedium.  I'll pass.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 25, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »

I actually did go and check all the locations to get the two feather-related achievements.  I like the climbing around, so it didn't bug me too much.  It was pointed out to me that buried in the pause menu is a list of all the areas along with how many feathers have been collected there.  That might be helpful.  I think there's also a thing in there for codex pages. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: January 25, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2010, 04:06:22 PM

I actually did go and check all the locations to get the two feather-related achievements.  I like the climbing around, so it didn't bug me too much.  It was pointed out to me that buried in the pause menu is a list of all the areas along with how many feathers have been collected there.  That might be helpful.  I think there's also a thing in there for codex pages. 

Glad I didn't have to repeat myself. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 25, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 25, 2010, 03:50:35 PM

Quote from: JayDee on January 25, 2010, 02:47:35 PM

Yeah, it's pretty lousy.  I've got 45/100 but I'll never find the others without checking a map online, and even then I'd have to check all 100 possible locations because I have no idea which 55 feathers I haven't already gotten. That's not fun. That's tedium.  I'll pass.

I passed on it too... I'm an achievement fan, but I have my limits.

But since it's a totally optional extra thing, that should not detract from anyone's view of AC2, which is fantastic.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »

I finally finished this game last night - simply awesome.  Maybe it's just fresh on my mind, but I think overall it might have been the best single player game I played in the last year (beating Uncharted 2 and Batman:AA).   If you're someone who passed it over due to the over hyping/Jade Raymond effect of the first one, I highly recommend charting it out.   Phenominal characters, story, graphics, sound, and gameplay.   I can't remember the last 25 hour+ game where it felt as fresh at the end as it did when I started.

/shill_off

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 25, 2010, 06:55:51 AM

Quote from: TiLT on January 25, 2010, 06:13:27 AM

I've been everywhere and have all viewpoints sync'd. Problem was I needed to clear all of the other markers off the map before I could see the damn thing. Finally in Rome now.  icon_biggrin

And done... at least with the main story. Awesome, what a great ride and a nice setup for AC3. Now I just need 79 more feathers and 4 more seals and ...  icon_lol

-craig

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on January 25, 2010, 08:38:19 PM

I finally finished this game last night - simply awesome.  Maybe it's just fresh on my mind, but I think overall it might have been the best single player game I played in the last year (beating Uncharted 2 and Batman:AA).   If you're someone who passed it over due to the over hyping/Jade Raymond effect of the first one, I highly recommend charting it out.   Phenominal characters, story, graphics, sound, and gameplay.   I can't remember the last 25 hour+ game where it felt as fresh at the end as it did when I started.

I'm almost certain now that my next game will be Assassin's Creed II - thanks, Dimmona (and many others for their positive comments!)  I have a few sessions with DAO:O left to finish, then I'll be turning to my new PS3.  Yeah, it's still new, even though it was a Christmas present - what can I say?  Too many games, and - for a change - also, not enough time... but next stop: ACII.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on January 25, 2010, 10:40:21 PM

Quote from: Dimmona on January 25, 2010, 08:38:19 PM

I'm almost certain now that my next game will be Assassin's Creed II - thanks, Dimmona (and many others for their positive comments!)  I have a few sessions with DAO:O left to finish, then I'll be turning to my new PS3.  Yeah, it's still new, even though it was a Christmas present - what can I say?  Too many games, and - for a change - also, not enough time... but next stop: ACII.

icon_razz

I actually have Assassin's Creed 2.  And it is still in the plastic it came in (received it for Christmas).  I can't believe I'm saying this in my mid-30's, but I have too much homework and haven't had time to play a videogame since classes started last week.   icon_eek  20 hours of classes each week, 40 to 60 hours of homework/reading/problems/calculations, and group projects have all combined to take up all free time not spent cooking, cleaning, eating, or sleeping.  I want to get sucked into AC2, but I'm just not sure when that will happen.  Perhaps when football season is over and my Sundays open up again.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »

According to a message on the main menu the first DLC is out on Jan 28th.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

That same message was on the start screen today when I cranked the game up.

-craig

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 26, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »

It's only $3.99 for six new memories. So about $0.67 per "mission" of gameplay. I'm in.

I just hit Forli last night and was wondering why there was nothing to do there but collect treasure and pass through to the other side, even though it's a big, bustling town. I guess this was part of the game that was cut-out at the last minute.

The second DLC arrives in Feb.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »

I stopped basically all side activities to blast through and clear the way for ME2. I feel kind of bad doing it (not even hitting viewpoints now - which can be problematic), but I must play ME2 NOWWWW... 3 faces left on the conspirators list without X's on their faces. I think I have the final tier of armor and best overall sword. Guess I must be getting close.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 26, 2010, 05:34:46 PM

I stopped basically all side activities to blast through and clear the way for ME2. I feel kind of bad doing it (not even hitting viewpoints now - which can be problematic), but I must play ME2 NOWWWW... 3 faces left on the conspirators list without X's on their faces. I think I have the final tier of armor and best overall sword. Guess I must be getting close.  icon_twisted

If you want to know how many sequences there are (so you can gauge your progress):

Spoiler for Hiden:
14,  however the game skips Sequences 12 & 13 (those are the new DLC) so it's really 12 sequences and the last is relatively short.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 28, 2010, 10:58:11 PM »

Anyone know roughly how many hours of gameplay this adds?  I finished off AC2 so I'd be cleared for Mass Effect 2, but with the DLC hitting a part of me is wondering if I should hold off and hit the DLC first...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 28, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »

The 'Battle for Forli' DLC is Sequence 12 and looks to be pretty short - less than an hour it seems.

-craig

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 28, 2010, 11:09:56 PM

The 'Battle for Forli' DLC is Sequence 12 and looks to be pretty short - less than an hour it seems.

Cool, thanks for the review link.   Sounds way to short, but at the same time sounds like the best time to play it would be while the game is fresh in my mind (and I remember actually wondering why he suddenly had a beard when I hit that part last week....)

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:57 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on January 29, 2010, 12:10:13 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 28, 2010, 11:09:56 PM

Cool, thanks for the review link.   Sounds way to short, but at the same time sounds like the best time to play it would be while the game is fresh in my mind (and I remember actually wondering why he suddenly had a beard when I hit that part last week....)

I decided to do exactly that and it drops you smack into the middle of a little rumble for control of Forli. And that Caterina, she is quite the potty mouth.  icon_wink

-craig

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 03, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »

Spoke at length with a good friend this past week who managed to talk me into picking this one up. I know, I know. Based on my vitriol towards the first one (primarily towards the sci-fi aspect and otherwise awful execution, so to speak, of a terrific idea), I was ignoring this intentionally. But after speaking with him (he's a history teacher and old friend whose gaming tastes tend to mirror mine, warts and all) I figured I'd give it a chance. Actually glad I did because I'm on the second set of memories and I like it much more. I still hate the sci-fi though, but the main character has roughly a zillion times more personality than Altair could ever have. I love the setting, the flowing Italian, the fact that I carried a box of paintings for Leonardo Da Vinci, and more. The world seems like a re-skin of the first game to a certain degree, but overall I'm enjoying it. I also like how the game doesn't yank you entirely out of the past every time you complete a mission like it did in the first one, which maintains a much more consistent flow.

Don't love it, but definitely enjoying spending time on it. Go figure.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 04, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »

Is it best to add the DLC on before you finish the game? I'm only in sequence 4, I think.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 04, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »

Hmmm... no idea if it would include Sequence 12 in order or if it would still wait until after you complete the game where they have some spare time to 'fix the corruption' that lead to those two memory sequences to go missing in the first place.

-craig

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: February 07, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 19, 2010, 09:11:34 PM

I just started playing this over the weekend. I'm only a couple hours in, but wow. I know everyone said they fixed everything that was wrong with the original... but wow.

Never could get into the original, but this one had me from start to finish (well except for the break to play ME2 slywink ). Awesome game right down to the end. I can't wait for the next one.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 07, 2010, 06:09:39 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 07, 2010, 05:16:04 PM

I just started playing this over the weekend. I'm only a couple hours in, but wow. I know everyone said they fixed everything that was wrong with the original... but wow.

Never could get into the original, but this one had me from start to finish (well except for the break to play ME2 slywink ). Awesome game right down to the end. I can't wait for the next one.

They lost me right at the end when...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Pope-dude started waving around a magic wand. Everything up to that point was based in reality (except for the science-fictiony Animus). Once magic started getting involved I kind of tuned out.

Despite that it's right up there with the best games of 2009 for me.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on February 07, 2010, 06:09:39 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on February 07, 2010, 05:16:04 PM

They lost me right at the end when...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Pope-dude started waving around a magic wand. Everything up to that point was based in reality (except for the science-fictiony Animus). Once magic started getting involved I kind of tuned out.

Despite that it's right up there with the best games of 2009 for me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
  icon_wink

-craig

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: