http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:15:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2 interest? (Now with Impressions - starting on pg 2)  (Read 29828 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:51 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 02, 2009, 05:24:32 PM

i am also looking forward to the dlc as it gives them a chance to fill in the missing sequences and also hints at some pretty cool events to take part in. 

you'll get your wish.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
KJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 17, 2009, 04:24:23 PM »

Color me impressed with this one...  I enjoyed the first one but found it got exceptionally repetitive after about the 4th or 5th out of 9 assassinations and I couldn't bring myself to get through it.

Not so much with this one.  I never felt it was repetitive and I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.  So much so, in fact, that I felt _compelled_ to get all the trophies for the game and the platinum.  My nearest other attempt for a game being a paltry 67% of the trophies.  It helped of course that the trophies did not require an additional run through, which I am generally loath to do.

Definitely got me ramped for AC3.  As many others have said, it takes a lot of balls to create a game set in the Renaissance but the setting was very enjoyable.  Got to give Ubisoft Montreal big props for that.  It was easy to tell that a lot of love and hard work went into the game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: December 17, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »

Quote from: KJ on December 17, 2009, 04:24:23 PM

My nearest other attempt for a game being a paltry 67% of the trophies. 

Was that before or after the patch this fall which removed the platinum trophy from the calculation for all PS3 games? Previously the platinum was counted among the total percentage, which means you'd usually go directly from 75% to 100%. If that 67% was before the patch that changed this, you probably were closer to 85-90% complete. smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2009, 08:17:14 AM »

Sooo I'm on the last sequence...annnnd...

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's making me get all the codex pages? Come on...need to hop around to cities to get 10 (!) more f'n codex pages.

TheMissingLink on PSN
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

Finished this last night and really enjoyed it and I went and bought the Soundtrack which is really good and I liked how they used history in the game.  They need to improve on the stealth and combat a little but the
exploration and story was well polished and enjoyable.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 21, 2009, 07:08:07 AM »

And I beat it! Whew, it has been a while since I blew though a game that long, that fast.  Never got bored the whole way.  It is rare that a sequel is able to fix everything that bothered me about the first game and still keep everything I liked.  I'm ready for the third.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 21, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on December 21, 2009, 07:08:07 AM

And I beat it! Whew, it has been a while since I blew though a game that long, that fast.  Never got bored the whole way.  It is rare that a sequel is able to fix everything that bothered me about the first game and still keep everything I liked.  I'm ready for the third.

+1.  I finished it last night and loved it.  When I talk about AC, I talk about it like I hate it.  I can talk fondly about this one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: December 21, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »

Nice. Now would you please get me that shot? Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 21, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 19, 2009, 08:17:14 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's making me get all the codex pages? Come on...need to hop around to cities to get 10 (!) more f'n codex pages.

Spoiler for Hiden:
hunh... i'd done it over the course of the game - never heard or realized you had to...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 21, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »

Yeah, same here.  I had them all collected before I got to that point in the game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: December 21, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on December 21, 2009, 06:56:18 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 19, 2009, 08:17:14 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
hunh... i'd done it over the course of the game - never heard or realized you had to...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I realized I had to have them all when we were all standing around in the villa and DaVinci was available to decipher maps.

When they're all standing around looking at the map and comment on how there are undiscovered parts of the world, it only makes sense that you would need the entire codex to have that dialog.

Imagine having NONE of them. biggrin

Since I had all of them already, it was no big deal. You also need all the pieces of Altair's armor (aka tomb raiding), which leads me to believe it will be available in the next game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 21, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »

Altair's armor is optional.  I think only one tomb is required. 
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 21, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yep, help with my chances of finishing the game I skipped the tombs.

I wouldn't be surprised if near the beginning of the next game there is a cinematic moment where Desmond changes into Altair's armor and comes out ready to kick some ass.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 21, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 21, 2009, 09:09:10 PM

You need to complete all six Assassin's Tombs in order to get Altair's armor.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 21, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on December 21, 2009, 09:43:16 PM

I think what he's saying is that getting the armor is optional.  The stats on the best armor you can buy are identical to the stats on Altair's armor, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 21, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 21, 2009, 09:45:42 PM

I think what he's saying is that getting the armor is optional.  The stats on the best armor you can buy are identical to the stats on Altair's armor, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

I got it.  One "tomb" is required in the course of the game, but the rest are optional in order to get Altair's armor.

As for the best armor you can buy is identical to the stats on Altair's armor, there is one big difference - Altair's armor doesn't get damaged.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 21, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 21, 2009, 06:03:15 PM

Nice. Now would you please get me that shot? Tongue

Hey Purge, I haven't reached the last of the assassination missions yet, but I did a search for the name of that mission, and I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Wu0Dz2dY4

I haven't watched it because I don't want to spoil anything, but perhaps this video has the shot in it you're looking for?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 22, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »

an interview on Kotaku with this mention about the DLC:

The other cut, the one many Assassin's Creed II players have figured out by now, was content for which development would be backburnered and later re-prioritized and issued as the game's forthcoming January and February downloadable content. These would be the game's marked but missing 12th and 13th chapters, more or less. "I felt that, 'Okay, there were too many things to do and to finish.' So we said, 'Ok, let's take a portion of the game that was planned and we'll give it in DLC.' We'll remove some stress to the team while giving more to fans and people who like Assassin's Creed." Desilets liked the idea of giving the game added life and content beyond its initial release, saying it's something that he regrets not offering for Assassin's Creed — "I feel like we left people alone afterwards." —and given how big the game was and how it had gotten bigger during development, he didn't think most players would feel shortchanged. "I think we gave them so much content that they cannot say that we owe them, that we didn't give them a lot for their 60 bucks.

at least they admit to purposely cutting out parts of the game to be sold later.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 22, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »

While I think the cut wasn't made as seamlessly as it should have been, I'm fine with it.  AC2 was plenty long as is and I think those sequences would have slowed the pacing too much.  I prefer them as DLC.   
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on December 21, 2009, 09:53:50 PM

Quote from: Chaz on December 21, 2009, 09:45:42 PM

I got it.  One "tomb" is required in the course of the game, but the rest are optional in order to get Altair's armor.

As for the best armor you can buy is identical to the stats on Altair's armor, there is one big difference - Altair's armor doesn't get damaged.

Eh, by the time you get either suit of armor, money is a complete non-issue, so keeping it repaired is no problem.  I think throughout the course of the game, I had one piece of armor break.  I just repaired it all every time I went to restock my knife supply.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 22, 2009, 05:15:12 PM »

The other piece of the "oh, it was cut for DLC" is that the DLC thing is likely not the primary reason those areas were cut.  Either they would have been completely cut from development and we never would have seen them, or they would have been finished, but at the expense of being able to improve or polish other areas of the game.  It's nice that the option exists to complete content that otherwise would have been left for the cutting room floor.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 22, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »

The more I think about this game, the more I love it.  I just watched the Lineage video on YouTube and it fills in some of the pre-story of the game nicely.  As much as the PSP version is getting knocked, I think I might pick it up just to get more of the story.

I really enjoyed doing the glyphs and I solved all of them without resorting to the Internet, which felt good kind of like back in the days of playing Infocom text adventures and having no Internet).  I also, unlike everyone else, apparently, loved the tombs and had no issues with them.  They were platforming fun and I didn't really have any issues with them.  I haven't done the two unlockable ones yet (from uplay and the code in the box), but I will get to those after I take care of some other games.  This is the first game I got 1000/1000 on since Oblivion and it says a lot that I was willing to go find all those feathers to get the last two achievements.

It's funny that a game that I was pretty meh about and wanted to like a lot more than I did turned into a sequel which just makes me in love with the whole story and gameplay.  The story was good in the first one, but the game just got boring.  Not so in this one.  Going to read more about the PSP version and see if I can convince myself to  buy it.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »

Oh, here is something on the DLC and the inevitable complaints about the fact that they should have been included in the disc.:

Yes, forthcoming DLC packs, "The Battle of Forli" and "Bonfire of the Vanities," were originally intended to be included in the main Assassin's Creed II story. But, as the game's creative director Patrice Désilets told Kotaku, "I felt that, 'Okay, there were too many things to do and to finish.' So we said, 'Ok, let's take a portion of the game that was planned and we'll give it in DLC.'"

The candid Désilets went on to point out, "I think we gave them so much content that they cannot say that we owe them, that we didn't give them a lot for their 60 bucks." So, don't think of the missing chapters as something torn from your disc of Assassin's Creed II that you paid good money for. Think of it as dead content that's getting a rebirth thanks to the wonders of DLC.

Personally, since I got so much out of the game, I don't mind it.  If it was a 6 hour game or something, then I would.  But, when these huge Bioware RPGs do it or an example like AC2, I am okay with it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 22, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 22, 2009, 05:30:04 PM

The more I think about this game, the more I love it.  I just watched the Lineage video on YouTube and it fills in some of the pre-story of the game nicely.  As much as the PSP version is getting knocked, I think I might pick it up just to get more of the story.

I really enjoyed doing the glyphs and I solved all of them without resorting to the Internet, which felt good kind of like back in the days of playing Infocom text adventures and having no Internet).  I also, unlike everyone else, apparently, loved the tombs and had no issues with them.  They were platforming fun and I didn't really have any issues with them.  I haven't done the two unlockable ones yet (from uplay and the code in the box), but I will get to those after I take care of some other games.  This is the first game I got 1000/1000 on since Oblivion and it says a lot that I was willing to go find all those feathers to get the last two achievements.

It's funny that a game that I was pretty meh about and wanted to like a lot more than I did turned into a sequel which just makes me in love with the whole story and gameplay.  The story was good in the first one, but the game just got boring.  Not so in this one.  Going to read more about the PSP version and see if I can convince myself to  buy it.

I would caution you about the PSP game.  I've played through it.  It's is okay but not really worth the money and the story is relatively light and won't shed much info on events in the Altair background stuff in AC2. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 22, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 22, 2009, 05:56:10 PM

I would caution you about the PSP game.  I've played through it.  It's is okay but not really worth the money and the story is relatively light and won't shed much info on events in the Altair background stuff in AC2. 

Hmmmm....I was kind of interested in the fact that they delve more into the woman from the first game.  Not enough there to merit it, huh?  Maybe I will wait for a price drop.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 22, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 22, 2009, 06:02:10 PM

Hmmmm....I was kind of interested in the fact that they delve more into the woman from the first game.  Not enough there to merit it, huh?  Maybe I will wait for a price drop.

Maria is prominently featured in Bloodlines but they don't do much with their relationship.  She spends most of the game getting kidnapped and then escaping or being rescued by Altair. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: December 22, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 22, 2009, 06:07:54 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 22, 2009, 06:02:10 PM

I would caution you about the PSP game.  I've played through it.  It's is okay but not really worth the money and the story is relatively light and won't shed much info on events in the Altair background stuff in AC2.  

Hmmmm....I was kind of interested in the fact that they delve more into the woman from the first game.  Not enough there to merit it, huh?  Maybe I will wait for a price drop.

Maria is prominently featured in Bloodlines but they don't do much with their relationship.  She spends most of the game getting kidnapped and then escaping or being rescued by Altair.  

Ah. So she's his Princess Peach. Lovely. Does Altair stop for a quickie with Toadstool at each castle too?

I mean, Toadstool cross-dresses and he's got a flat head and he's waist height.  Having a place to put his beer is higher on Mario's list than worrying about looks.... plus Mario has low standards and as a plumber he's used to fishing around in dirty places. icon_twisted

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bet you wish this text was switched with the stuff above, doncha?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 25, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »

end game related spoiler:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 26, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »

Question on villa maintenance. I'm working through Venice and it keeps popping up and telling me my chest is full back in the villa. Before this, I've only been going back during major story breaks but now wondering if I can leave Venice in the midst of things so I'm no losing all that income? I'm leery because of the time crunch with what's going on now - this happens tonight, got to hurry and go do X first, get Y, etc etc - but wondering if I disappear between memory segments, does time magically stand still?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 26, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 26, 2009, 03:51:04 PM

Question on villa maintenance. I'm working through Venice and it keeps popping up and telling me my chest is full back in the villa. Before this, I've only been going back during major story breaks but now wondering if I can leave Venice in the midst of things so I'm no losing all that income? I'm leery because of the time crunch with what's going on now - this happens tonight, got to hurry and go do X first, get Y, etc etc - but wondering if I disappear between memory segments, does time magically stand still?

as far as I know as long as you're not in the middle of a memory segment you can leave cities no problem (there's always the chance that there could have been a point where you couldn't and I just didn't need to leave the city at that time).  I think I only had my chest completely fill up a couple of times since it should take 80 minutes (4 refills to be filled) and then an additional 20 minutes before you start losing money.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 26, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »

Yeah, I spent so much time finding treasures, feathers, and pursuing side missions that I wound up Fast Traveling back to the villa several times.  As long as you aren't actively engaged in a mission, there's no drawback to warping home to Look At The Book whenever you like.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: December 26, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »

The villa pays out 3 times, and one freebee before you start losing money.

At the highest payout it's 20k per interval, IIRC.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 28, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »

Argh! Farking "capture the flag" game.  mad

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 28, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 28, 2009, 04:28:52 PM

one thing I discovered during that game is I could safely fall off the starting roof without dying.  also, your competitor cannot swim.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: December 28, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »

Just run straight for the flag across the roof, making a final jump so that you land directly on top of the flag. It's really easy to do, and your opponent won't reach you in time to stop you if you immediately turn around and climb back to the roof. You'll need to refill your health for every round though, as this is going to hurt a lot.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 28, 2009, 06:11:04 PM

Just run straight for the flag across the roof, making a final jump so that you land directly on top of the flag. It's really easy to do, and your opponent won't reach you in time to stop you if you immediately turn around and climb back to the roof. You'll need to refill your health for every round though, as this is going to hurt a lot.

Thanks... that worked for the first 2 times but on the third there was no way to beat him to the flag. I ended up cutting him off on the way up to his base and then fell in the water with the flag where CeeKay's hint came in handy. Finally past all that and off into the mountains now.  icon_cool

-craig

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 01, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »

i finished the game this afternoon...pretty good overall and definitely a major improvement over the original.  while i enjoyed AC2 from beginning to end, i do have to say that the ending was more than a little disappointing.  i don't feel that the gameplay ever got old like the AC1, but the story just fizzled out a bit and the ending twist felt almost too random.  that said, it does introduce an interesting premise for the next game...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 02, 2010, 12:57:19 AM »

I finished the game myself today, after not playing it for a while due to MW2.

And I have to agree this game is MUCH better than the first one...it's been improved in every way.  I really loved AC2, one of my favorite games this year.  Honestly, I like it 10x more than Uncharted 2 which I was really disappointed in and couldn't even make myself finish before selling it.

The building and environment graphics are incredible, and the voice acting is top notch (it's obvious they used authentic Italian speakers).  Having been to most parts of Italy myself, I really appreciated how they created the game world.  Highly recommended.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 09, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »

I'm thinking of picking this up. I really didn't like the first one and gave it back after two hours with it. It seems this one is much better. Will the story make sense to someone who never realy played the first one?
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 09, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »

Just started playing this today. From the reviews I wasn't willing to play the first one, but so far this game is amazing.
Feels like an Italian version of Crackdown in some ways.

Although somewhat limited (it is in BETA I guess) the U-play add-on is a pretty cool idea as well.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: