http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2 interest? (Now with Impressions - starting on pg 2)  (Read 29661 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on November 26, 2009, 02:36:22 PM

So I "purchased" the u-play tomb, but I've got a few questions (and yes, this one so far was by far the worst for camera angle controls once you hit the timer)..  Also you guys know that if you fall, you can usually reset the switch without waiting for it to complete right? I've only had a few where I couldn't press B again to restart it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
So I go through serious asspain to get to the tomb.. and there was 1500f in chests.. That's it? Seriously? Did I miss something good, or is that really it? The story was interesting, but I expected something better than that

I also realized last night in the villa you have a weapons and armor room... where you can change to other items... that explains why I had pieces of leather, metal and so on equipped -- oh and I was still using a dagger instead of all the fancier knives I had bought  icon_mad Here I thought it was just automatically equipping the "best" items -- not so.

You equip what you purchased last. If you bought +3, +2, +1 in that order, +1 will be equipped.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »

buying and using different weapons just adds a little more variety to the game and can have a small effect on how you approach combat due to their varying attack speeds and deflection abilities.  personally, i think it's well worth trying some of the different weapons just because the moves Ezio does with some of them are awesome.  each weapon type has different attack and defense animations.  try using the maul to finish off a group of guys sometime...love the way he winds up a swing before bashing a guards head.  you can also see some very cool moves by using disarm to steal weapons and turn them on their owner.  disarming one of the big armored guards, stealing his two-handed broadsword, and impaling him with it is pretty awesome icon_twisted

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Also, it's worth visiting the trainer outside of the villa- you can purchase additional moves from him. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 27, 2009, 01:55:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 26, 2009, 10:28:51 PM

Also, it's worth visiting the trainer outside of the villa- you can purchase additional moves from him. 

Does anyone do anything in combat other than wait to kill-counter?  That's all I ever do.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 27, 2009, 01:58:28 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2009, 01:55:56 AM

Does anyone do anything in combat other than wait to kill-counter?  That's all I ever do.

I just keep hitting the X button till everyone is dead.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 27, 2009, 02:27:10 AM »

That won't work with all enemy types.  Enemies with large or long weapons can only be countered if you are holding a large or long weapon.  Other enemies are too quick or will block until you get thier stamina low enough to kill counter.  The exception is the hidden blade- it's insta-kill on every enemy with the exception of a couple of boss encounters but the timing window is much tighter for the hidden blade. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2009, 02:28:03 AM »

I must not have gotten far enough then.  I basically did nothing except counter up to where I am now.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 27, 2009, 02:55:12 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2009, 02:28:03 AM

I must not have gotten far enough then.  I basically did nothing except counter up to where I am now.

yeah the later fights,guys with Axes mainly....i countered and they just went through it and put me on my ass,i found having no weapons in my hand and disarming them was the best way to deal with them,which doing that,usually led to a counter with that weapon and a nice mini cut scene of you burying the axe in the guys head or back

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 27, 2009, 03:27:42 AM »

I drop a smoke bomb and then proceed to take out as many as possible before it dissipates.  I also just made a mental note to use the poison blade on one or two during this time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 27, 2009, 04:50:13 AM »

Smoke bombs be expensive, yo.  Though now that I've got all my villa shops and buildings purchased, I suspect that I'll have far fewer money troubles without that giant cash pit.

I'm pretty amazed at how much real estate there is in the game.  I was expecting the three main cities and maybe an area like the Kingdom in AC1.  Instead, I've seen one major city, my villa, and two smaller towns, all with big areas of land around them, and I'm just now getting to Venice.  I'm about 14 hours in, and I keep getting sidetracked, finding another treasure to grab, another side assassination to do, etc.  I want to do them all, but I'm getting really curious about the glyphs, so I have to keep pushing myself to move forward in the storyline. 

This game is awesome.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2009, 05:22:25 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 27, 2009, 04:50:13 AM

Smoke bombs be expensive, yo.  Though now that I've got all my villa shops and buildings purchased, I suspect that I'll have far fewer money troubles without that giant cash pit.

I'm pretty amazed at how much real estate there is in the game.  I was expecting the three main cities and maybe an area like the Kingdom in AC1.  Instead, I've seen one major city, my villa, and two smaller towns, all with big areas of land around them, and I'm just now getting to Venice.  I'm about 14 hours in, and I keep getting sidetracked, finding another treasure to grab, another side assassination to do, etc.  I want to do them all, but I'm getting really curious about the glyphs, so I have to keep pushing myself to move forward in the storyline. 

This game is awesome.

Venice is insanely huge too.  I kept thinking I had seen everything and then the game would unlock another district...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: November 27, 2009, 06:22:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2009, 03:27:42 AM

I drop a smoke bomb and then proceed to take out as many as possible before it dissipates.  I also just made a mental note to use the poison blade on one or two during this time.

Yeah, that works very nicely. And because I get over 10K now per 'tick' of the Villa, money is no longer a problem.

Additionally, another way to fight is to have a weapon in hand and attack twice or so on one target, then change to another one nearby by pushing the analog stick towards them and hitting attack, then repeating. You'll break off your current target and go after them, usually with a guaranteed hit (as they weren't expecting your attack). As long as you go after the guys who are most likely to engage you (you can sorta tell from their stance), you'll keep them all from attacking you as you're a whirling dervish of death.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 27, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »

I'm partway through Venice, and I'm really, really hating the rooftop archers.  There are way more of them here than in the other cities, and they really detract from the experience.  The main reason I play these games is to climb around on stuff.  With the archers everywhere, climbing becomes a major pain in the ass, so I spend most of my time on the street to avoid them.  It's really disappointing, but it's way more practical. 

I may be playing too much.  Small things that probably shouldn't annoy me are driving me up the wall.  I'm also fairly lost in what's going on in Ezio's storyline.  I just spent two hours doing a long quest line without much understanding for why I was doing it.  What's really driving me forward is wanting to get all the glyphs.  I'm semi-concerned at how much motivation I'll have if they let me get all the glyphs before the end of the game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »

I haven't had any problems with the archers; I love pulling/pushing/throwing/stabbng/plinking them to death. As long as you're mindful of the present they shouldn't be an issue.   Throwing knives work wonders against them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »

You can't just nail those archers with throwing knives?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 27, 2009, 10:35:58 PM

You can't just nail those archers with throwing knives?

I can and do, as well as shanking/yanking them.  It's just annoying to have to do it constantly as you try to move around the city.  Since the ground is usually a lot safer and faster, I find myself staying off the roofs most of the time, which is what I'm mostly sad about.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »

I typically just run by them.  Archers tend to be less aggressive about pursuit. 

The other fun thing to do in Venice to run along the side of the buildings instead of on top of them.  Most areas have free-runs adjacent to them and you can run them relatively risk free. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2009, 01:04:07 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2009, 06:22:55 AM

Additionally, another way to fight is to have a weapon in hand and attack twice or so on one target, then change to another one nearby by pushing the analog stick towards them and hitting attack, then repeating. You'll break off your current target and go after them, usually with a guaranteed hit (as they weren't expecting your attack). As long as you go after the guys who are most likely to engage you (you can sorta tell from their stance), you'll keep them all from attacking you as you're a whirling dervish of death.

actually, i accidentally did that, early on, & liked the results so much i've been doing it ever since smile ...

&, if i've got a venice-oriented complaint, it's the multitude of those dudes carrying boxes - i swear, they're running some kind of compensation scam, cuz, whenever i bang into one (which is pretty damn often), & they drop the box, all that comes out is sawdust?...

otherwise, venice's been a blast! - exceeded my expectations, & is most definitely a sandbox even i can get into (the crowds in this game really remind me of the crowds in the yakuza games. hard to describe why, but they feel much more substantial/organic than the civilian crowds in other games i've tried (ie, gta)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 28, 2009, 01:47:57 AM »

I just rented this to play when I take breaks from MW2, so I'm looking forward to starting it either tonight or tomorrow.  I wish I could skip the first part, which everyone says is terribly boring.

Eco

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 28, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »

You know what I love? Prince of Persia-style platforming.  I love it to pieces.

You know what I don't love? Prince of Persia-style platforming with really squirrily controls and a time limit with a crummy camera.

I'm working on a tomb in a cathedral in Venice.  They give you a pretty damn tight time limit, only a vague idea of where to go, and bad cameras the whole way.  Even better is that I found a bug where if you hit the trigger again to reset the timer too close to the end of the cycle, the handle that's your objective vanishes and will not respawn.  Wound up having to reset the whole tomb to get it to reappear.  Of course, now I don't trust the reset option, so if I miss a jump, I have to wait for the timer.   icon_mad

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 28, 2009, 02:20:56 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 27, 2009, 09:58:08 PM

I'm partway through Venice, and I'm really, really hating the rooftop archers.  There are way more of them here than in the other cities, and they really detract from the experience.  The main reason I play these games is to climb around on stuff.  With the archers everywhere, climbing becomes a major pain in the ass, so I spend most of my time on the street to avoid them.  It's really disappointing, but it's way more practical. 

I may be playing too much.  Small things that probably shouldn't annoy me are driving me up the wall.  I'm also fairly lost in what's going on in Ezio's storyline.  I just spent two hours doing a long quest line without much understanding for why I was doing it.  What's really driving me forward is wanting to get all the glyphs.  I'm semi-concerned at how much motivation I'll have if they let me get all the glyphs before the end of the game.

I just run up to them, grab them, and throw them off of the roofs.

xbox live: nude rick james
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 28, 2009, 02:50:29 AM »

& another thing: it's gone now that i've done some stuff, but the music that's playing in the background when you're first exploring venice?  that kinda heavenly female voice going 'ahh-ahh ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh'? tribute or theft, that's almost note for note the original tomb raider theme...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »

Had a marathon session today, and finished it up.  Overall, I really liked it, bitchy, whiny posts notwithstanding.  There definitely were some less-awesome parts, but overall, the whole package was great.

Downers:
-Free run controls were frequently too loose.  Would have liked something between this and the new Prince of Persia.
-Guards on the rooftops cramping my style, yo.
Spoiler for Hiden:
-The Altair armor that I busted my ass to get is exactly as good as the final tier of armor that you can buy.  It looks neat, but so does the other stuff, and I wish that my efforts had been rewarded just a bit more.
-The timed jumping sequences sucked in a lot of ways, but were optional, so I guess it's not so bad.

Uppers:
-The cities were awesome and massive.  Each had a pretty distinct vibe.  One was a total Monty Python and the Holy Grail dump in a swamp.  One was the staggeringly massive Venice. 
-The whole thing felt like Italy of the era.  The countryside looked like it should, and the cities felt absolutely alive and organic the whole time.  AC1 had a ton of people in the streets, but that just felt like a ton of people wandering.  In this one, it feels like a city.
-The future/past storylines were much better handled.  The future stuff was there, but the focus was on the Italy stuff.  I didn't mind it in the first one, but this was much better handled.
-Totally superfluous, but I like that just playing through the game normally will net you a massive amount of achievement points.  I didn't go out of my way to earn achievements, and I think I'm down to less than 10 to go.  I'm so close that I'm going to actually grind out the collect missions and 1000g this thing.  I think.

There's definitely more plusses, but it's really late, and I'm going to bed.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »

Can you confirm that you're able to continue playing after finishing the game, in order to get all the feathers, glyphs, and so on?
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2009, 02:10:25 PM »

Yep, you can, after the credits.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 28, 2009, 09:50:57 AM

-Totally superfluous, but I like that just playing through the game normally will net you a massive amount of achievement points.  I didn't go out of my way to earn achievements, and I think I'm down to less than 10 to go.  I'm so close that I'm going to actually grind out the collect missions and 1000g this thing.  I think.

I'm in the same boat. One of the remaining achievements is to throw sand in 4 or more guard's faces at the same time...  I don't think I threw sand the entire game! How do you do it?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2009, 02:35:40 PM »

Quote from: Clay on November 28, 2009, 02:13:24 PM

I'm in the same boat. One of the remaining achievements is to throw sand in 4 or more guard's faces at the same time...  I don't think I threw sand the entire game! How do you do it?

While unarmed hold X.  The longer you hold X, the more sand you will throw.  It functions as the poor man's smoke bomb. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »

Quote from: Clay on November 28, 2009, 02:13:24 PM

You probably missed the combat trainer, same as I did. They didn't seem to tell us that you could learn new moves by training at your villa. Talk to him and learn unarmed combat, and you'll get to try out the sand trick. I think you also need to do this to get the move you need for another trophy/achievement.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 28, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »

I don't think you actually have to visit the combat trainer to learn how to throw sand. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2009, 02:50:02 PM

I don't think you actually have to visit the combat trainer to learn how to throw sand. 

hmm,i think i could only do it after i trained for it...as i was going after the achievements and it wasn't working,so i went to unarmed combat in the training,and it was fine after that...i don't think i was doing it wrong before hand

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 28, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 28, 2009, 03:54:58 PM

hmm,i think i could only do it after i trained for it...as i was going after the achievements and it wasn't working,so i went to unarmed combat in the training,and it was fine after that...i don't think i was doing it wrong before hand

I just tried it on my replay- early in the game (have the hidden blade, no sword, and haven't been to the Villa) and you can indeed throw sand at that point in the game. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 28, 2009, 04:58:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2009, 04:41:15 PM

I just tried it on my replay- early in the game (have the hidden blade, no sword, and haven't been to the Villa) and you can indeed throw sand at that point in the game. 

do you have to have your hands empty?,as i may of had my hidden blade equipped,as i always had that equipped

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: November 28, 2009, 05:27:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 28, 2009, 04:58:22 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2009, 04:41:15 PM

do you have to have your hands empty?,as i may of had my hidden blade equipped,as i always had that equipped

Yup - you have to have unarmed selected as your 'weapon' to do it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »

if ever there were an example of 'too clever', it's the whole glyph-cracking thing - after doing the first 15 on my own (& not enjoying it a whole lot), i've completely passed on solving them myself. while i can kinda understand leonardo getting into them, definitely not my thing smile ...

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 28, 2009, 11:45:25 PM »

After several hours of somewhat slow going, I'm really enjoying the game now that I've unlocked the Villa and a second city. There are several things always available to do so if, for instance, you get tired of finding treasures you can do a mainline mission or hunt glyphs or run down hookers (oops, wrong game!). The only mission I've had to give up on is the race mission in Florence, I simply cannot do it in the time allotted. I'm sure I could probably get there eventually, but since it's not mandatory for the story (apparently), I'm going to wait.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 29, 2009, 12:13:10 AM »

I love this game...its so friggin great... I now feel I need to play the first one as well, just to see the story.

I've just opened another city as well, and its so damn fun to play this game, and everything just looks..awesome! Am I the only getting a little high-anxiety from some of the REALLY high places?

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 29, 2009, 12:36:05 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 28, 2009, 11:08:48 PM

if ever there were an example of 'too clever', it's the whole glyph-cracking thing - after doing the first 15 on my own (& not enjoying it a whole lot), i've completely passed on solving them myself. while i can kinda understand leonardo getting into them, definitely not my thing smile ...

There was one that I still don't understand the answer too.  I was able to figure out two of items for the codewheel but had to resort to plugging in random figures for the third. 

The other ones that were tough were some of the painting puzzles because frankly I just didn't understand enough about what I was looking at in them to figure out if it applied to the puzzle. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2009, 12:42:16 AM »

And this is why I absolutely refuse to do any "collect all 100 widgets" quests/achievements.

I found ~30 feathers on my playthrough.  I armed myself with a feather map, and proceeded to visit every single location pointed out on those maps.

Found 99 feathers.  Went back and re-visited about a third of the locations.  The only way to find that last feather is to hit every location in both Florence and Venice.  That's simply not happening.

If games are going to have that kind of collect quest, the least they can do is break it down by area.  Then I wouldn't be in this position of having one item to find somewhere in the game.  So now I have to decide if it's worth spending another two hours retracing my steps to get the final two achievements.  If I don't, it's going to bug me, but at least I'll be more sane.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 29, 2009, 12:43:45 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2009, 12:42:16 AM

If games are going to have that kind of collect quest, the least they can do is break it down by area.  Then I wouldn't be in this position of having one item to find somewhere in the game.  So now I have to decide if it's worth spending another two hours retracing my steps to get the final two achievements.  If I don't, it's going to bug me, but at least I'll be more sane.

Sorry to be the one to break this to you after all of that effort but that is, indeed, in the game.  Go to your DNA strand and select feathers.  It will tell you how many feathers (out of how many possible) in each district of each city. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 29, 2009, 01:14:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 29, 2009, 12:43:45 AM

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2009, 12:42:16 AM

Sorry to be the one to break this to you after all of that effort but that is, indeed, in the game.  Go to your DNA strand and select feathers.  It will tell you how many feathers (out of how many possible) in each district of each city. 

Hate to break it to me? That's the best news I've heard in the past ten minutes! I was going to have to do a run through of every spot anyway, but I wasn't going to do that twice.  I never would have found that breakdown if you hadn't pointed it out, and with it, I was able to get the last feather and the last two achievements.  First 1000g game ever! Woo, thanks man.

And for the record, I missed it because the map I was using has a watermark over that feather location, and I didn't check my careful checklist carefully enough.  *facepalm*

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: